How do you protect your smartphone?
0. phoneArena 05 Jun 2014, 08:07 posted on
Cases, bumpers, holsters and pouches, even a simple screen protector is better than nothing when it comes to our expensive smartphones. These little (or big) buggers can hit the price of a decent laptop or a TV nowadays, so protection is important...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. DillWeed (Posts: 149; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
There's little need to protect my note 3, since except for one small crack in the side bezel, everybody else is in a pristine condition after eight months of abuse. I used to carry Spigen Neo Hybrid but the phone instantly gets too big.
Cases are perfect for smaller phones or phones with very slim bezels (wouldn't mind putting a case on a LG G3)
24. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I always buy cases for my phone, but I rarely use them. It's an oximoron to have a phone with premium design just to cover it up with a case. It's risky, but that's just how I am.
40. Finalflash (Posts: 2725; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Have a padfone infinity, thing is a tank and doesn't get scratched at all. This is how premium phones should be built unlike the other cheap "premium" materials used in HTC ones or iPhones.
50. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I wouldn't all the full-body aluminum of the HTC One M8 cheap...
25. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I dont feel a need to protect the phone, gorilla is doing good job on the screen and the body is ok.... I feel it odd to make the phone bigger and thicker by putting false bodies on the top
26. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
God I hate people with cases, just spend a few $ per month and get insurance. But please cover up those ugly phones though. Only the flagships deserve to get no case treatment.
28. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
There is still a fee to get a new phone if you have insurance and they wont replace it for scratches or small cracks, something has to be broken like the touch no longer working or a large section of the screen is shattered.
45. Doakie (Posts: 1855; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well a case would have kept the resale value up because your little crack in the side bezel means it's not in pristine condition anymore. Doesn't matter if 99% of the phone is in great condition when I'm looking for a used phone on Craigslist I won't buy one with any cracks.
I have a KLD Oscar 2 flip case on my Note 3 and I carry it in the same pocket as a Moto G with a Fosmon Durafrost TPU case on it. They're not too big for my front pockets.....and these jeans I'm wearing are tighter than I'd prefer.
2. Canaan (Posts: 326; Member since: 25 May 2014)
I only use those invisible shield screen protectors. I'm not a fan of cases as they make the phone feel and look bulkier. Also, what's the point of buying a nice looking phone if it's going to be hidden by a case?
6. MobileGuru (Posts: 82; Member since: 18 Jan 2014)
Invisible shield makes your phone sticky as hell after a few years. Especially on the rubber and plastic parts of my blackberry back then!
39. vincelongman (Posts: 3976; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I protect my Nexus 5 with a tempered glass screen protector, so if I drop it the glass screen protector would shatter, not my phone's screen
43. Canaan (Posts: 326; Member since: 25 May 2014)
Well my Nexus 4 has a glass back and front, so it doesn't get sticky. Although, I do have one applied at the mall every few months, since I work at a clinic I tend to sanitize my phone and the shield starts to peel off after a few weeks or months of doing that.
46. Doakie (Posts: 1855; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Resale value. If you protect your phone your resale value is higher than an old & busted phone. For the last 4 years I've been very successful at buying and selling phones to where I haven't needed to pay practically anything out of pocket to keep it going. I'd buy a phone on contract then six months later sell it and buy one of the newer phones when I find a deal, then sell that one and buy another used one. I've funded my smartphone habit with very little investment and I always have a pretty new phone. I've had the most luck with T-Mobile phones in the past but now that phones are sold full price with no subsidy I'm wondering how that will effect the resale pricing.
3. buccob (Posts: 2491; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I use a wrist lanyard so it doesn't fall when taking pictures or risky handling.
A floating wrist lanyard when on a boat or on taking pictures at the beach.
And a screen protector besides the ASF included by Sony
4. buccob (Posts: 2491; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
No lanyards in the poll... Oh well, it works great for me
7. Anshulonweb (Posts: 430; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
I use just a screen protector...... case spoils the beauty of my xperia.....
15. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Same here just a screen protector
8. FingerMyApple (unregistered)
Naked and raw :)
10. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I use screen protector on the front and back of my Z2. I used to have a case for it but I switched to a metal bumper for the time being. I'm liking the bumper bc the look. However, I'm still being careful since it's just a bumper.
21. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i used my N8 without screen protector and case..........and i sold it completely in great condition.
Nokia is protective, then why need protection.
12. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2067; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
A screen protector is all I need for my L1520. :)
20. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i don't think nokia need screen protector too..........
14. CheckThisOut2k (Posts: 48; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
I have a hard shell case for my phone. I dropped it several times and did not receive one scratch, thanks to gorilla glass.
16. VLaRueC (Posts: 174; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
Flip cover cases are missing from the poll..
17. jphillips63 (Posts: 214; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Otter box defender for me. I remove the plastic shield and use one of the HD screen protectors.
19. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 253; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Just an iloome tempered glass screen protector on my Note 3.
22. tokuzumi (Posts: 878; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
Work is phasing out blackberry, and I am getting a work-issued S4. Since we don't pay for insurance, I'm sure if I damage my phone, I'll be out of pocket. I'm getting the Seidio OBEX case. I don't want any accidents. Granted, I've never damaged a phone, either with water, drops, etc, but I'm kind of paranoid about caring for a $500 device the size of a Hershey bar.
27. kriss (Posts: 9; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Slim black aluminium bumper and full ZAGG InvisibleShield both keeping my Note2 safe and sound without adding too much bulk.
30. LikeMyself (Posts: 433; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Screen protector is a must! Case only when I lend friends my phone! What's the use of a slim phone if u can't appreciate it
32. SupermanayrB (Posts: 414; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Silicone gel skin & holster. Dropped 1 on concrete (Droid Razr Maxx) & the other (Note 3) on tile floor & they both survived without a scratch. I stand by those gel skins.
33. HildyJ (Posts: 292; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
I protect my smartphone like I protect my Windows tablet - I carry them in pockets with nothing else in the pocket for them to rub against. In the case of the smartphone, it's my shirt pocket. I've never broken a phone/tablet/laptop and I don't have to deal with extra size and weight.
36. wilsong17 (unregistered)
I miss using the note 3 since December no case and still look like new
37. GreekGeek (Posts: 1276; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
If your phone is equipped with a Corning or Asahi glass, you actually don't need a screen protector trust me unless you go to the beach a lot where the hazards of rubbing your phone with sediments is extremely high
38. somad (Posts: 169; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
I pay $9 every month for insurance and if my phone is broken or stolen I still have to pay $100 deductible, and that's not the problem the problem is the will send me a certified phone or refurbished one which is not fair... I hate insurance.
41. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I protect my Note 3 with a metal frame and glass back combination. Doesn't even make it thick and feels nice but too cold
42. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I like my phone how I like my women...naked
44. Stuntman (Posts: 835; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I use a belt pouch primarily to carry my phone.
48. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 944; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
I swear THIS SAME topic is brought up monthly... I kinda DONT CARE. Sorry for the caps.
49. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
U guys have to be crazy. I rather have a case to protect my temepered glass phone z1 it already have minor scratch when fell out of my pocket on pavement. Still looking for a hard strong bumbper for me phone. even though i love the beautiful design of the body