Homeless in L.A. hired to stand in line and buy Apple iPhone units
0. phoneArena 21 Sep 2013, 02:26 posted on
A businessman in L.A. came up with a way to get hundreds of Skid Row bums a job on Friday, that didn't require too much training; but before you praise this gentleman for his altruistic act, be advised that it was all a scheme to make huge profits. Looking for a way to get his hands on as many Apple iPhones as possible on launch day, he offered $40 for each homeless person who would wait in line...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. DKMDROID (Posts: 102; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
nope thats actually..........In line.....YEEAAAHH!!
21. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Trust me, my profile pic shows the Fifth Avenue store here in New York City on Thursday afternoon which had a line of about 25 and they ALL l°°ked homeless. The barricades Apple thought it would need were stacked near the curb just taking up sidewalk space. Anyhoot, if anyone was smart enough to buy their new iPhone 4S+ at Verizon you have 14 days to return it and get yourself a real phone but, there is a $35 restocking fee (wtf happened - they never had a restocking fee with their Worry-Free Guarantee??). Tragically, if you bought your phone at the Apple Store, your refund (less i30%) will be placed on an iTunes Gift Card for any future purchase (non-transferable, of course).
41. tacarat (Posts: 436; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
The receipt back probably outlines a "normal" refund policy and you should be able to get your money back in the same tendered for. Just point it out and escalate to a manager. Cash buyers might not want to show up early since there might not be enough money on hand (or just get a check mailed).
13. maysider (Posts: 38; Member since: 11 Aug 2013)
Apple is out of line not just because of the ebook price fixing robbery
I have been thinking all the time this is just a rotten marketing by rotten company....No wonder :)
Who would stand for such outdated and dumb device? :)
1) just dual core
2) icon style from 1990
3) no possibility to set any default app
18. Ninetysix (Posts: 1930; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Oh man. Check out the benchmark scores on this dual core. If it's so dumb, what would you call the quad core phones that it beat?..LOL
22. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You're so utterly desparate to believe that you just didn't throw your kid's college fund out the window that, it seems that you're trying REALLY hard to convince yourself this was a justifiable waste of moula' It's not too late to return it and get some sort of partial iRefund. Besides, Samsung makes that A7 chip inside, boy we OWNS you!!
49. amasog (Posts: 303; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
so what if samsung makes the a7 chip on iphone 5s?
apple is paying them for that chips.. so whats the big deal?
& why are you affected if they prefer the iphone over your favorite?
some people just prefer a lag-free phone!
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
100 Things iPhone 5S - 5C Can't do Android Phones Can:
30. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
OMG ... ROTFLOL
I loved #14, 'with iOS7 and their new flamboyant look...' HA-HA-HA ....
#15 No face unlock but, 'you can choose to give your fingerprints to the NSA if you buy an iPhone 5s'
I also learned that I can buy a USB Host dongle and use an external USB Flash Drive, something I will buy today. Go ahead iUsers, at least you can iSync with iTunes and only add certain media content to your quasiPhones.
47. amasog (Posts: 303; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
hahaha! wait for a 16-core android phone with 16gb of ram, & iphone 5s would easily be beaten!!
56. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
moto x is dual core with 2 gigs of ram
s4, one, g2 and z1 are quad cores with same amount of ram
and ALL of them are much better than the 5s
Performance wise it can only be compared to something like the GS2 or one s
48. amasog (Posts: 303; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
at least on that same tests..
so just wait for it..
53. apple4never (Posts: 1043; Member since: 08 May 2013)
ur an idiot, only android needs a gazillion cores to run as smooth as ios ans wp
5. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Wtf,,. Not cool.... for an iphone?..... what is the world becoming
11. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
But i admit, smart move... ill also be embarrased, being seen in a line, trying to buy last year look alike phone...
7. frydaexiii (Posts: 1403; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So this was what Apple meant by "creating more jobs for americans".
8. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 214; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
If I was conceded and wanted an iphone I'd find a homeless person in line and just give them $50 for their spot.
Not that I would do it since it's not a limited edition or something. Remind me how many million's of phones are apple going to make.
9. tedkord (Posts: 7372; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
What a d**k! He should have at least paid them for their time.
10. Sniggly (Posts: 7290; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Sounds like a typical reseller. I hate people like that.
12. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
What the hell is this? Can anyone summarize this for me, I'm lazy to read it all Please.
14. promise7 (Posts: 576; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
not to sound rude, but couldn't other ppl tell something was going on. ur so close to each other waiting in line for hrs and well u can kind of tell if the person is homeless or not no?
15. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I would lineup outside Apple store and buy 3 iphone 5s then selling them at 2-3x original price and buy Xperia Z1 and Tablet Z and still got enoguh money to buy PS4 in december.
33. rockblock123 (Posts: 20; Member since: 07 Sep 2013)
see you are smart..unfortunately these folks arent that bright..they are walking zombies..look at them next time youre out,they all have that sameness...sad but true..its call igotiphoneuptheirarses
51. amasog (Posts: 303; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
xperia z1? what is it??
is it aphone? or a toy? LOL!
57. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I'll give you the Tablet, but a PS4? Come on now!!! ;)
17. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
All the homeless people should've just run away with his money. How come they didn't scatter and ran like hell? Were they basically hostages? I know some people retain their dignity, but geez, you can tell if someone's a potential a-hole in a few minutes.
34. taikucing (unregistered)
35. cripton805 (Posts: 1166; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Apple was out of line by not selling the iphones. If they waited in line waiting for them, they did it the right way. If someone else didnt get there early enough thats their problem. Regardless of what is to be done with them. Where are the rules to buying an iphone? Its one per customer. Each homeless is a different customer selling their product at a $40 profit to them. Where is the problem? There was one customer / iphone.
37. Commentator (Posts: 2918; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Apple had to do it to protect their brand image. Think about it: what does it look like to your masses of customers if you just sit and watch this guy get away with it so he can cheat you out of even more money than you'd already be paying?
They were perfectly within their rights to do this, and it was a no-brainer.
39. cripton805 (Posts: 1166; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
How is he cheating? He has one person / phone waiting in line. Its not like he's the only one in line and getting 10 phones by himself. Its like black friday. You have "one" customer per product. You snooze you lose, but there is one customer / iphone and I doubt he can carry more than 10 people in one van.
40. Commentator (Posts: 2918; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
That's the exact thing stores are trying to prevent when they limit your number of purchases. What are they going to do, just go "bravo, you got around our system!" Sure he's following the letter of the law, but he's clearly violating the spirit.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7040; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just how desperates are those people can get? Hired a homeless person? Now that's just sad.
44. Commentator (Posts: 2918; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Thanks FlipBoard for double-posting me, by the way.
46. deathgod (Posts: 122; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
"A businessman in L.A. came up with a way to get hundreds of Skid Row bums a job on Friday, that didn't require too much training."
So being homeless makes you a bum now? Are were these guys actually bums?
If I was one of the homeless who couldn't purchase the phone, I would have taken my $40 cut or kept the $. No way I would have stood in line and not get anything.
52. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 227; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Whether in Pasadena, San Francisco, Manhattan, et al. why the F%#@ do stupid M.F.ers wait out in the cold and the wet in order to pay Top ( WAY,WAY, WAY ) OVER-PRICED dollar$$$$$$$$ for Do#che-Bag Job's legacy MID-RANGE P.O.S.? You know Jobs is having a hearty laugh in HELL these days...
54. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
He got "Hundreds", really?
Something fishy I thinks.
55. kanagadeepan (Posts: 774; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Well... Who with right job and right mind will waste their time days and night waiting for just a phone???
58. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
People do it with Video Game Consoles all the time. If morons wouldn't purchase them like this, then it wouldn't happen. I can't blame the guy honestly.