Here's what to do if the power button on your Android phone breaks
0. phoneArena 31 Aug 2014, 06:19 posted on
Gadgets break. They all do sooner or later, and smartphones are no exception. As a matter of fact, phones can be exceptionally fragile – often a drop or two onto something harder than a carpet are enough to render them useless or severely damaged. But even if a phone is never dropped, it might still fail at some point. You know, like when its power button stops functioning – when your phone is fine, but you just can't wake it up from standby...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
seen on on iphone 3gs and 4 but never ever on any other phone strangely :p
4. josephnero (Posts: 549; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Anything similar for Windowsphone? i have power button problem on my Lumia 520.
any help would be greatly appreciated
6. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2060; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You can enable tap to unlock feature to remedy that problem.
8. josephnero (Posts: 549; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
How can i enable it?do i need latest update?thanks
9. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2060; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
If you have Lumia Black update or anything above that, you can enable it. You need to just enter Settings and then go to Touch and enable the feature. :)
11. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1288; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
You'll need at least Nokia Black update to enable this feature. Then you'll find 'double tap to wake' option under touch settings. If you didn't find touch option under settings menu then just manually download it from store . Here is the link,
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1288; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Very useful indeed. Do the same article w WP too. Right now I'm having some issues with r of my Lumia, sometimes i had to press so hard to turn on the device. So i changed lock screen time out to 30sec and 'Double tap to wake' function will wake the phone up.
7. techspace (Posts: 1010; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I Always use the proximity sensor to unlock the phone (via gravity unlock) but I am not sure if it's okay to have it on all the time for months(Or years).
10. Dee79 (Posts: 280; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Or buy a new button from ebay and replace it :/
12. ishan.heru (Posts: 69; Member since: 31 Aug 2014)
For windows phone it is double tap to wake up and if u want to lock the phone download the software "One Touch LockScreen" from the store for windows phone. !!
14. Planterz (Posts: 1972; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Best "Sunday How To" article in a while.
Another option, for those that root and install custom ROMs (and have a popular enough device that there's enough development), is to flash a custom kernel that allows dt2w and/or s2w. Dt2w is double-tap-to-wake, just like on some LG and Sony and some other flagships, and s2w is sweep-to-wake, where you just slide your thumb/finger from left to right across the screen and it wakes up. Then you double tap the status bar sweep right to left across the nav buttons to sleep. The benefit of these options is since they're kernel based, battery drain is less than with the other options (but still probably 1-2%/hr).
15. sip1995 (Posts: 1538; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
I'll download them when I get the Asus memo pad 7...
16. master-mkk (Posts: 23; Member since: 27 Aug 2014)
or just fix the dam thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If there are no repair options that are worthwhile, it is time to get a new phone. Especially when carriers are closing out last years flagship for $1.
17. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I disassembled my Nexus 5 to make the power button stiffer a while ago. The power button was rattling and it was really annoying, but opening up the phone and getting to the power button wasn't too hard...
19. kubbur (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Aug 2014)
But how do you turn on a phone with a broken power button
20. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
some phones is automatically ON when u charge (for example BB10 and Nokia Lumia and some Android) , but otherwise u cannot do anything :(
21. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Just tried Gravity Unlock, love it!!
screen off when put on table, screen off when put inside pocket, screen on when put up phone from table, screen on when move 10 degree on table ... etc
22. devanshu (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jan 2015)
i recently installed custom rom (COLOR OS).....it worked properly until i just tapped on power button to off it. But as soon as i again tapped on to that power or hold button to "on" the phone ,it was not able to open it. Actually there was a blank display as seems as a blank screen .there was no display .
What should i do to fix it??