Here's what happens when you give a Nexus 5 to a photographer
0. phoneArena 17 Jan 2014, 07:53 posted on
One way or another, it's clear that smartphones have already narrowed quite the gap in terms of quality, compared to traditional DSLRs. Sure, sure, it's still a child's play for the latter, but there's no denying that phones are coming dangerously close to transforming the traditional DSLR into a professionals-only product. That's because smartphones can now manage shots that are more than good enough for 99% of the trigger-happy crowd out there. These people are not professionals, and most smartphone snaps taken are done by amateurs or hobbyists at best. But what happens if you put a flagship phone into the hands of a trained professional?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Nyah ! They probably wanted to give them a 'smartphone' rather than a 'camera-phone' !
5. mousesports (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Are you jaleous ? 1020 is SMARTPHONE , not a cameraphone .. if that is so good ... so , you cand still be jaleous more and more .. Only crap of samasugi do a cameraphone useless so useless !!
11. loginfailed (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
With limited apps, what can you do with that..lol
Nexus 5 FTW!!
13. PootisMan (Posts: 234; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
The camera on the Nexus 5 is really underrated. Glad someone proved everybody that the Nexus 5 camera is no push over.
22. mousesports (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
you all fadroinds every day repeat . Your CD are broken ? There is no more gap of APPS , 90 % of usual are there . So i dont really care about this useless comment .
33. loginfailed (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
ok, no customization and boring live tiles just to name a few... lol
34. hemedans (Posts: 353; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
Dont cry baby when you grow up i will buy lumia for you so that you can play halo spartan assault. But for now use your toydroid
39. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
It has hardly any major apps a day games, so what good is that.
Samsung phones camera is on par with iP5s, but below the 1020,... Lumia1020 only has a great camera and nothing else. The screen and specs are outdated for a 2013 device....
55. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Lumia 1020 does just about everything you could ask for, without any lag what-so-ever. Also, there are plenty of apps available now for WP8 users (around 250,000), and so that is not a valid reason to avoid the platform. If it lacks customization, WP8 OS also lacks the huge amount of malware and viri that hampers Android.
Unless you play mobile games that require advance processing capabilities, or if you require some kind of obscure techie app to your control your mother board, there is no reason to shun WP8 devices, especially the vaunted Lumia Brand. The 1020 also has great audio & video record and playback capabilities, and is both light and durable.
Are there better smartphones out there? Probably, but if you are into photography and need a smartphone device that takes great photos, then the Lumia 1020 is most likely your best option.
64. Droiderr (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
All u do is praise the camera in the comment. Is there anything else to that phone apart form the camera. Nokia knows that too.. as a result all the ads feature the camera and nothing.
U might have heard a concept "multi tasking", haven't you? Trying doing that for once and let me know.
Oh.. and try playing a mkv file too, which is the norm these days.
And secondly it costs almost as much as note 3. Is that justified?
Now justify your comment, quoting "Lumia 1020 does just about everything you could ask for, without any lag what-so-ever"
58. Taters (Posts: 5122; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It's a smartphone but it compromises a lot to put the camera in unlike almost every other flagship. That camera bump is horrible and most people would take an iPhone or android camera over it if it meant not having to deal with that hideous camera hump and wp8.
And if you must have a hideous camera bump, add zoom or flaunt your camera heritage. The 1020 is effectively an garbage smart phone that uses a comb over to try and cover it's camera roots.
59. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Taters clearly knows absolutely nothing about either smartphones or cameras for that matter...
69. jeffgr (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 May 2015)
For f##ks sake, learn to put a sentence together.
29. Tamer81 (Posts: 33; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
You really don't know nothing about Windows Phone do you? I think you are confused with SGS Zoom! Now that is a Camera with smartphone functions!
7. dickwyn (Posts: 603; Member since: 07 May 2012)
anyways this proves that you must have skills to take good photos
42. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
This right away proves dat just dont increase mps..
There's other stuff too.!!!!
2. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
After the update the Nexus 5's camera has improved greatly. Hell Yeah !! :P
4. DogeShibe (Posts: 1106; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
#Wow #MuchImpressive #SuchTechology #VeryAmazing #Wow
9. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Amazing photography skills! Imagine the stuff he can do with a proper DSLR!
10. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1696; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"...best camera phone in its class." That's laughable. It's a decent camera, but not anywhere close to that. The Z1, G2, 5S, and 1020 all smoke the N5 camera.
16. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
All those phones cost $600 and above, whereas this costs only $350 in the US.
18. PootisMan (Posts: 234; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
You are so wrong. I've seen samples from all those smart phones and they do not blow the Nexus 5 camera away. The only camera that can kind of sort of do that is the 1020. The Nexus 5's camera is extremely capable and it easily beats the GS3 and one UP's the Gs4 by a hair. I have those phones and I've tested them all. The Nexus 5 comes very close if not slightly surpassing the 5s, Z1, G2 and even in some scenarios the 1020.
32. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1696; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I've owned them all (Z1, N5, 5S, GS4, N3, 1020, and G2) and the N5 camera is slow and not up to snuff. Digital Photography Review and other professional photography websites share my opinion.
45. blazee (Posts: 384; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
Were those reviews done before the major camera update in 4.2.2?
53. rdeleonp (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Jan 2012)
The Android 4.4.1 update fixed the slowness and tweaked the camera quality settings.
Digital Photography Review Connect
What the Android 4.4.1 update means for Google's Nexus 5 shooters |http://goo.gl/N6RoM3
65. glentomas123 (Posts: 70; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
Liar liar pants on fire. 1020 is the slowest camera phone out there. You've obviously never used one, else you would not be cheering its speed over the N5.
44. blazee (Posts: 384; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
It is the best camera in its class. All Tue phones you mentioned cost twice as much
68. gotenks22 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Feb 2014)
Dude when was the last time you saw a $349 phone with such a good camera, you're comparing it with $600 phones -_-
12. pureviewuser (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I'm impressed the nexus 5 camera we'll done!!!!
14. pureviewuser (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I must admit its way better than my lumia's 920 grainy camera
36. T.F.O.A (Posts: 36; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
Give your 920 to professionals photographer and you will say " i'm wrong. its way better than nexus 5".
47. elitewolverine (Posts: 3631; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I detect user error, and digital photography reviews and pictures would also agree.
15. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3585; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wow, awesome work done by the photographer. Nice pics and the girl is cute.
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Too bad the iPhone has the best camera of any smartphone.
20. Just.Saying (Posts: 132; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
26. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Aww, the Apple clown is trying too hard. Just give up, Apple won't increase your part time salary for trolling on articles, you're stuck with 10 cents.
27. PootisMan (Posts: 234; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Wrong answer. The 1020 has the best camera of any smartphone.
50. lyndon420 (Posts: 3044; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
That's because it is essentially just a camera with a crappy OS installed on it.
56. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
The crappy OS that resides on the Lumia 1020 has something called "security", which Android users don't seem to value. Your Android data is basically being bled all over the net, and 3rd parties have access to it, including the NSA. Too bad for them you're a nobody, but they still collect the info anyway ;o)
66. BRYLYNT (Posts: 34; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
You are daft if you think your windows phone somehow falls beyond the reach of the NSA.
38. phonetekmek (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Don't believe that "ulra-pixel" hype! Yes! Honestly wasn't impressed with the camera itself the Zoe had some cool features. But thats about it.
63. Trex95 (Posts: 787; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I own the HTC one and the camera it's GREAT. I used every single flagship camera cause one of my ppl owns a cell phone shop so let me tell you which one the best.
IPhone 5s all light condition still the best.
HTC one overall great camera with most true to life colors and the best camera view founder.
1020 the best but with supersaturated colors.
Z1 great camera but with software issues.
G2 great camera but worst low light performance specially in 1080p video low light.
S4 Octa good camera but again crap low light
S4 Snapdragon better than S4 Octa even in low light
Note3 very good camera but again oversaturated colors and crap low light and the funny things that S4 mini taking better pics in low light than Note 3?!
Nexus 5 Decent camera overall and not bad as people think
Xperia z the worst even after the last update
S4 Zoom no comment but this phone failed cause of the size and weight but camera it's fantastic.
S4 active good camera
BB Z10 mehhh
BB Z30 okay camera
31. joefoto (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Proves that the photographer is more important than the camera, which is not new information. It also foretells the end of the mass market camera market. This is a good selling point for phone dealers, but a death knell for pocket cameras. Anybody want to buy a DSLR? Maybe for a photo safari!
41. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
And what class is the Nexus 5 in exactly? Mid-range?
43. reh1965 (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
The 1020 has the best camera. End of story. Read some reviews from professionals, like dpreview