Here's the ad Samsung is running against the iPhone 5 launch nationwide
0. phoneArena 15 Sep 2012, 16:40 posted on
The ad shows the Apple iPhone 5, turned off, and with the main features listed underneath, and then the Samsung Galaxy S III in all its glory against it, with a list of its own features listed below. As you can easily guess, the Galaxy S III list is much longer for a purpose, and there is a big fat title at the top saying "It doesn't take a genius"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
196. Djthunderballs (Posts: 16; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
This ad campaign is similar to T-Mobile's counter approach to bring unlocked iPhones to their 3G network... Kind of humorous. Someone said it earlier, sales and reputation speak for themselves.
37. downphoenix (Posts: 2357; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Love this ad. Gonna post it to my facebook wall tonight, would love to see the Apple fan reactions :)
46. andrew1953 (Posts: 175; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
I am seriously looking at the Note 2 because with its humongous screen and veratile pen,its the ultimate web browser.iphone 5 doesn't have NFC,wireless charging,a radio or java capbility.
73. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Wait for iPhone 5S ther next new phone.
55. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
Not effective at all...
People will buy what's popular... Not what's technologically advanced...
The GS3 became popular that's why millions bought it... You tech geeks in here still don't get it... A very small % of people will use those features.
The same with iPhone... People buy it because it's popular... Most people still don't know how to use half of the features in the phone...
This battle will be won by the company with the most cunning marketing scheme... We shall wait and see who wins...
61. SmartGadgetS (Posts: 20; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Don't be a fool... Saying something like that makes you look like a dumb... People buy the phones they like... not because its popular or not... By the way, Samsung Galaxy S3 is also very popular... So, that makes even less sense
199. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
what the hell are you talkin about "don't be a fool"
what's dumb is to think people are gonna buy the S3 because of those extra features...
they only bought the phone because android is popular now... and samsung is the most popular brand in most electronics/appliances...
think about my post before you try to insult me...
you have to look at the mass of people not what "you're" opinion is of buying a product...
can you at least agree with me that most people that have both of these phones really don't now how to use them...
main functions are: making a call, sending a text/email, taking a pic, surfing the web, downloading apps... other than that the majority of people aren't jailbreaking/rooting their phones or using all these gimmicky features Siri/S-features
come on man be real...
you android users are so THICK headed i swear...
64. knights4life03 (Posts: 131; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
This is so true ppl are gonna the most popular product but that aint me i choose what works for me and thats the galaxy s3 and im lovin it
63. matrix_neo (Posts: 321; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Samsung wants to educate some idiot people that there are so many phones better than iphone 5. Specs of galaxy s 3 is pretty obvious that is superior to iphone 5, that's why samsung made a list. Samsung is not desperate, its just part of marketing strategy. At least samsung is trying to show what their products has to offer not by fooling their customers. Remember the new ipad ad in Australia? ish33ps don't get angry or jealous if companies trying to tell the truth, they will not do that if a certain company trying to be the best but lots of people knew it's not.
Apple is now obviously run out of new ideas and innovation, other companies now like samsung, htc, sony, nokia and even chinese companies has already shown innovations and technological advancement. Accept it ifans, accept that not only apple can do best things, just hope apple can offer something magical new next year.
79. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6584; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Samsung says "YOU STOLE OUR MONEY, we run ADS against YOU" saying WHY IS THE GSIII is the king of Android phones.
86. damokles (unregistered)
Hmm, pretty long list on the Samsung corner - but there are some features missing in the iPhone list - like;
- iTunes-Store (Music, Videos & Episodes-stuff)
- Apple Gift Cards
- iTunes is not a pain in the ass like KIES
- high quality Aluminium-back
- iPad, Mac & iPods work together in a perfect harmony
- symmetric charger - sorry Micro USB
- developers prefer Apple over Android in some cases - so the Bump-App which transfered file from iPhone to iPhone was there before S Beam
- Apple TV-compatibility to own Smart-TV stuff
- smoother Soft- & Hardware-harmony
- doesn't have to be afraid to miss Updates in the next couple years
- thinnest smartphone in the world (says Apple)
- iMessage to all Apple-devices
- better maps-material
- you can buy muuuuuch mooore cases and accessoires and stuff
so, if Samsung can count some random functions in the list, aswell I can - so, Samsung stop the flamewar - either accept that the iPhone is a cult-Phone or stop it - and don't complain if Apple sues you if you do marketing like that - thats just weak and shows that you need the promo.
Good n8, dont hate, i tried to be as neutral as possible.
102. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8693; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Two important things you forgot to add:
1) iPhones do get timely updates. True, but when they get them, the user can't use every single new feature because their device doesn't support it. For example, the turn-by-turn nav doesn't work with 3GS (and I think iPhone 4). iPad 1 and iP4 can't run Siri. How stupid is that? I would rather wait a few months for an update to be pushed to my phone and have all the features instead of half. And for features not supported on an iPhone, I read it on Apple's website.
2) Micro SD- If you run out of space on your phone, you're out of luck. You have two options, delete files to make more space, or spend money to upgrade to a new phone. What I love about Micro SD is that you can explore everything that's on it from an Android phone. You can't do that on an iPhone.
112. CreeDiddy (Posts: 308; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
You walked into an argument you will loose:
1. They sure do and is head and shoulders on what Google will not do to get involved with the timely updates to carriers. Almost 65% of the Android market is Gingerbread. ICS and Jellybean make up only less than 10% of the updated OS eco system. How many people have 3GS devices now? Come on you got to be serious. 3GS is a throw away phone right now. iOS6 supports up to iPhone 4, but may not receive all of the features because of the processing speed and RAM to handle Apple Maps and other apps. So your argument is invalid.
2. MicroSD is not a good solution to additional space for apps, games, and media. Everything is going cloud. The SD cards are slow in comparison to the NAND Flash RAM storage of the iPhone. I will take a 16GB or 32GB phone with Cloud storage over an SD card for photos and music. Plus how many people have expandable memory up to 64GB like the SIII. Not many of the older Android handsets can support up to 64GB of storage capacity.
124. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
I would rather not prefer my photos/albums held hostage on cloud as even uploading/downloading has costs. So SD card is what i prefer over Cloud.
192. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1583; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
So what happens when you want to access cloud content and you don't have a data connection. It does happen. That's why I'll always choose a card over the cloud. Also, there's been a surge in cloud storage getting compromised. Something else to think about.
Going back to the earlier post about the iphone features that were missing from the list, the first one, iTunes, is the reason why I won't go back to apple. I bought content, after a while it no longer recognized me as the legitimate owner, apple support was no help (sending me links to their FAQ section that I'd already tried), and ending with them telling me to repurchase the content with my money, after I'd already bought it once, no credit, nothing. I lost around $75-$100 on that deal. Never again.
115. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Thinner than Apple iPhone5:
Huawei Ascend P1s -- 6.7 mm thick.
Fujitsu Arrows F-07D -- 6.6mm thick.
So guess Apple should retract from statement.
120. tedkord (Posts: 4952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
ITunes - the SGS3 had the Google play store, Amazon app store, Samsung App store and any number of smaller ones, with all that same content.
Apple gift cards - really? That's a feature? Well, Google play had gifts cards, too.
iCloud - both Samsung and Google supply this to the SGS3.
ITunes not a pita? You must have a different version than I had. It totally gunned up my pc.
High quality aluminum back - that's not even worth retorting.
Androids and pc's work in perfect harmony, drag and drop simplicity.
Vlingo was an app on Android long before siri, so I suppose that negates siri as a feature, eh?
Thinnest smartphone in the world, lies Apple. Besides, being thinnest isn't a desirable feature to some (me).
iMessage to all Apple devices - so? SMS/MMS to all other phone regardless of make.
Smoother soft& hardware? Maybe two years ago, but not today with dual core plus cpus and ICS.
Better maps? Now I know you're just trolling. Google maps is the gold standard.
Much more accessories? Like an adapter so the new iPhone will work with old accessories except for analog sound, for only $30. Pass.
About the only valid point you made is updates, and it looks like even that one is measured with
128. matrix_neo (Posts: 321; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
read the list again before you make your own. what samsung wrote there all the latest features of a phone... something new or something innovative. what you listed there are already past features of iphone mostly 5 years old features and nothing so much change. at least samsung every year has something to offer, something people want from their phones unlike apple they provide what they want for their products, no choices no freedom. yes maybe only few of these features will be used by consumers but at least samsung trying to provide a better user experience for it's customers. apple only needs your money, enuf said!
91. android_sucks (Posts: 111; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Wow!!! Samsung needs to focus on their debts to and not ads against Apple!!!!
103. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8693; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Wow!! Apple needs to focus on innovation instead of litigation!!!!
134. Aeires (unregistered)
Debts? $1 billion is pocket change to Samsung. Please don't troll so stupidly.
183. tedkord (Posts: 4952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Plus, that $1 billion will likely be more than halved on appeal.
96. CreeDiddy (Posts: 308; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
This does nothing to change the outcome of the sales for the iPhone. With the release of the Samsung end of May, they have done well, but will get crushed the next 2 quarters until SIV is released. iPhone will most likely have 20 millions sales within a week worldwide.
Again I agree SuperMaoriBro....it makes reassures that the SIII buyer got the better deal. As an Android and iPhone user I don't try to get involved with specs. At the end of the day, its about the smoothness of the software and the apps I use to my content. I could care less if it contained 20 more features over the iPhone, that 20% of SIII owners only use.
101. cjslman (Posts: 8; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
The ad won't do anything... Apple fans will buy the iPhone 5 anyway... and I imagine that the 5 will sell better than the 4S. If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the GS3... but that's me.
109. fistigons (Posts: 263; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I wonder why Samsung didn't compare apps totals.
113. CreeDiddy (Posts: 308; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
because most of the apps are inferior to iOS apps.
117. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Because most apps are useless on both marketplace. Numbers don't matter in such a case.
237. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
or timely os updates(insert carrier responsibility here) or build materials.
116. Phonecall01 (Posts: 137; Member since: 02 Apr 2009)
Iphone 5 = Loki.....GSIII = Hulk.... nuf' said !!!
127. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
this ads show how desperate is Samsung to stick it to Apple, since they cant in court or sales.. for one year Samsung has been saying the next big thing is here..but is been here since 2007... and it starts with an "A"
135. Aeires (unregistered)
Yes, Android does start with an "A." Albeit 2009 and on though.
290. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
it surprises me fandroids dont think outiside the box.. it it meant Android then my statement doesnt make sense,. but whatever makes you guys happy.. I am and you guys should be too.. is hard because well the lagging and foreclosing dominates Android.. no fear jellybean will be in al Androids by 2014
295. Aeires (unregistered)
Sad you took it personally, it was a joke, after all.
308. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
have you seen how I type? .. trust me it was not personal. by any means..
158. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Lol. Starts with an "A". Android. u shudve said starts with an i.
291. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
sorry I forgat I have to spell it for the fandroids
138. dclrodriguez (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
What I find hilarious is how Apple never wastes money trying to prove the iPhone is better than Samsung's line up of phones yet every month Samsung has some new commercial/ad bashing the iPhone, LOL.
150. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
no Apple just throw money at court battles to try and slow down and stop samsung becuase they knew there latest iphone wasnt as good
apple have never had to prove anything for one reason they are marketing genius's. they know how to convince the mass's they need this poor excuse of a new phone and get them to pay through the nose
samsungs ad is much better for the fact it lists facts and the features, no glossy shiny crap like apple with there buzz words etc 'worlds thinniest smartphone' springs to mind
167. tedkord (Posts: 4952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They would be a waste of money, since its not true. Apple are taking the only course they've got - trying to ban competing models, and slow down innovation of others. Because they've seen how this ends otherwise, in the 80s. They tried to sue their way to dominance then, but fortunately then we had saner patent laws, and you could only copyright software. It speaks volumes that even with the severe flaws in the patent system today, Android is still dominating iOS, even with Apple's huge head start.
140. twilliams5108 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Tried the galaxy s3 way to glitchy for me, and not anywhere as smooth as any iOS device I have used, so I went back to my iPhone 4s. Now I'm waiting on my iPhone 5! I could care less about any of the extra sh*t the s3 has I wouldn't use any of it. In order to get decent battery life out of the s3 you turn everything off and dim the screen to the lowest brightness. If I'm goin to have a phone I want to be able to use it to its full ability without the battery dying on me half way through the day.
142. Dro (Posts: 27; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
Lets see how the iphone 5 stands up in battery tests with Lte. It would be interesting.
145. twilliams5108 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That I am actually excited about because if its good then great, but if its bad it will be just like any other phone out there battery wise. With the exception of the razr maxx.
159. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
"to be able to use it to its full ability without the battery dying on me half way through the day."
SIR i have the perfect option for you. . . Feature phones
Glad i could help. :)
170. twilliams5108 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well actually sackboy I am able to get through a whole 12 hour day of work and still have 65-75% battery left on my iPhone 4s. Which i am very happy with hence I own one. Thats with text, emails, calls, web browsing and occasional Facebook. With any android phone I have ever used which has been quite a few it was never better than 30% by the end of the day, normally dead. From the OG Droid to the s3.
305. BSTManCMc (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
That is odd, because I have a s**t android, The HTC Design 4G and it has notorious battery life problems but yet in a 16 hour day of calls, texting, browsing and the occasional app or two I go home with around 30% battery life each night. Plus I turn non of my features off, while my boss has an iPhone 4S and is constantly complaining about how often she has to charge her phone...idk seems funny.
309. twilliams5108 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't know, all I can say is that I just seem to have better luck with apple. Don't get me wrong I do like android as well.
160. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
It's really just personal preference for everyone.
I switched from Iphone 4 to Lumia 900. I love WP7.5 now, as much as many people have complaint with the OS. It's really smooth and I get all my business and personal things done on it.
And the issue is there, now i want the Nokia Lumia 920 asap. With enterprise support, it will be even more awesome. It will take me a while to ever to reconsider Iphone, unless they release something "truly" amazing in the next couple of years (2015?).
With the Nokia Lumia 920, I will be tied down by contract till Dec 2014!
169. tedkord (Posts: 4952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You must have gotten hold of a dud. My SGS3 has zero lag, no FCs or glitches, and is every bit as smooth as iOS. And I get decent battery life without all the tweaking you mention.
146. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
If they were trying to make the iphone look worse than the S III by keeping the screen off, it has an opposite effect. The S III looks extra cheap with the bordered white and the dull blue poor contrast wallpaper whereas the iPhone looks much sleeker and premium with the light hitting it at the right angles while the screen is off. They should've removed all the reflections that highlighted the iPhone's glass and metal body.
Any educated consumer should know by now that it takes Android higher specs to even run competitively to an iPhone and those battery claims are if you literally just removed all Android functionality that used battery and tested solely one metric, whereas most iPhone numbers stay true to what is advertised when everything is properly on and working. The rest of the list is laughable.