Here is the difference video stabilization makes: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Nokia Lumia 920
0. phoneArena 05 Apr 2013, 09:22 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is already in the hands of many reviewers across the globe and while it touts a plethora of new features including a 5-inch 1080p display fitting in a compact body...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
81. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am guessing because it isn't worth it. I personally think that they made the right choice. 7.9mm or OIS? 7.9mm every day of the week. I am not a fan of how the only two phones with OIS are the biggest brick in the world with a 4.5 inch screen and the other is the biggest phone with a 4.7 inch screen in the world. While the GS4 is either the smallest or second smallest(next to the Xperia ZL depending on which dimensions you value most) 5 inch phone in world.
I prefer being compact as possible over things like OIS and an extra front facing speaker.
85. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
so basically your saying you prefer form over function....this is the start of the sheep mentality believing you dont need something they didnt include
most reasonable people prefer a comprimise between form and function and that so called brick 920 hits the spot well where as others like me couldnt care about size and weight as i can manage to pick up my 808 with one hand.....seems me been able to do that is an acheivement seeing how you lot whine its too heavy lol
122. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
The guy is a dedicated Samsung fanboy, just let him buy his S4 and stop giving him a voice.
129. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
WTF the 808 is 14MM thick, this isn't 2001!
Who the hell and I've never seen anyone carry or have phones that big and thick. Every company is on slim phones no thicker than 9MM Nokia love there outdated CpuGpu thick phones™
141. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
LOL I knew you Nokia homers would have a problem with it but it's true some things should carry more weight than others and a compact body that fits great in your hand and pockets is much more important to people than OIS when talking about mobile phones.
Let's put it this way. It is called a "mobile" phone not a "giant brick that bulges out in your pocket" camera. That should tell you what is more important in a mobile phone.
5. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
cool. a future-proof multimedia device for me.
7. aryanfr1 (Posts: 120; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Nokia really KO Sammy in camera but Sammy KO Nokia in other Specs
113. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Do you know how stupid you sound for saying you would rather have a Nokia than an s4 because the camera is better even though the s4 is better in every other aspect? Get the S4+ a real camera. Don't waste your time with phone cameras there is MUCH better cameras out there that cost less than phones.
15. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
But Nokia KO'd Samsung on design and choice of materials.
PS: They both use plastic I know. But the polycarbonate unibody kicks the hyperglazed plastic of the s4 into space.
20. amats69 (Posts: 1385; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
oh and here comes the sammy thumb downers! lol
22. sniper1087 (Posts: 502; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
polycarbonate is plastic, and yes the nokia is the strongest phone I have seen and hyperglazed is garbage, prone to fingerprints and scratches easy.
35. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
gs4 uses polycarbonate dude but yeah ur ryt, sammy shudve make something like htc one x and d lumias, they look more beautiful.. but samsung shudnt use aluminum and glass :)
99. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Check this then say...sammy fans
149. poping (unregistered)
sorry dude, this wont convince me. i work inside an office. i don't work in a construction company.but if i'm a truck driver or a construction worker, i'd buy a cheap phone and make sure it's always with me and not on the pavement....
104. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
the only stupid move nokia made was choosing WP over android. if 920 were using JellyBean, i bet it can beat SG4 or even later still able to beat SG5.
130. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yea with there last years spec, Nokia is more of connecting people. SONY is all about design, Samsung the more powerful hardware, LG is first to kinda innovate, Htc is allrounder™
134. joey_sfb (Posts: 5415; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Even if nokia choose Android i will that not buy their phone due to the lack of SD card and removable battery. Sammy has that and now a will to update their phone software as well.
26. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
but performance vise all those spces count for nothing more then a grain of sand :P OS performs at same level on both devices so only display is better:P
32. ebubekir26 (Posts: 315; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
It doens't suck :)
yes stabilization and low light are better on nokia, just because it lost in stabilisation doesn't mean it sucks, maps? Nokia is the best in terms of navigation, my old Nokia N8 has better maps than my Galaxy Note II
but Video and image sharpness and quality is better in Samsung.
if I would write why the S4 is better than 920, this would be the longest comment I wrote,
64. highonandroid (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
yes agreed, S4's camera doesn't suck, but haters are everywere
Nokia Lumia 920 is a great smartphone, but S4 is no doubt better, but don't forget S4 is a new phone, 920 is from last year
66. ebubekir26 (Posts: 315; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
yep, it's from last year but still a great device
i'm not saying it's a bad smartphone at all, I think people see my comments as hate :/
41. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
sucks for video stabilization (not details) and average in low light..
but for the rest of camera performance, it is one of the best with the ip5, gs3, note2, lumia 920 and the king: PV 808
57. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the fact you put the note 2 on your list of best camera phones discredits everything you say as the cameras pretty poor, HTC one's camera is better then the notes yet its missing on your err list
61. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
coz s3 and note2 have the same camera tsu tsu..,,
sorry for that, im just basing my list from the reviews, esp the blind camera comparison..
63. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the blind camera comparision where the iphone was voted to produce the more attractive and eye catching pics
cant believe some still cling to the ''iphone and samsung won'' bs
67. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
dude, i mentioned a list of best mobile cam ryt,, wud u want my list to look like this>
"ip5, iphone 5, ip5, iphone5"
ip5 won that comparison..
gs4 won also but not against ip5, but against other smartphones
lumia 920 won also but against s3, htc one and xperia z..
gs3 won also but against htc one and xperia z.. and so on :)
69. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
now why would i want the list to look like that? im just bored of you always bigging up samsung and trying hard to slate everyone else. the fact you included the note 2 shows this and left out HTC.
gs4 didnt win, if it had been the iphone in second place you would be like ''this shows the gs4 is best 2nd place means nothing etc''
beside the blind test was what pics were more appealing not who has the best camera. people will get different results from the cameras. plus the 13mp sensor on the newer s4 still doesnt blow older phones out the water isnt much to brag about is it
like to see a comparison with the 3 year old n8 and the s4.
77. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
?, and what abt note 2, it has d same camera w/ s3 so nothing wrong abt it....
" gs4 didnt win, if it had been the iphone in second place you would be like ''this shows the gs4 is best 2nd place means nothing etc'' "
huh thats d way u think? sorry im not like that :(
in fact i am mentioning other handsets like lumia 920 coz it won also,, maybe the fact that htc one isnt on d running that made u hot..?
sorry, im just basing everything from reviews> gsmarena and phonearena. sorry.. htc one ddnt do well in reviews, but maybe the units arent yet updated..
47. wendygarett (unregistered)
Lumia 920 is a obese brick!!!
60. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
obese- probably describes the sad troll behind your account
132. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
And you're the biggest ONE™®©
You're a Trademark Troll™
95. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
choose whats better. i dare you
131. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I totally agree with you Wendy!
My my my what a huge thick overweighted phone™
11. Slaventuss (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
1. That's Nokia's place. Look at the posters.
2. That guy didn't show the video stabilization setting on both phones.
3. That video is for WP7 fan site.
SO => S4 VIDEO SATBILIZATION IS DIABLED.
Nokia can't find a way to sell their lumias that's why they take that kind of fake videos.
17. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
why would the do that... it will backfire on themselfs -_- plz use ur brains before posting s**t
23. sniper1087 (Posts: 502; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
i dont think the S4 has stabilization, it lost against the HTC One by the way on video
88. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
i was going to buy the s4 but now i will go for the HTC One is alot better in everything and has OIS.
114. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Lenovo K900 > International s4 > Galaxy s4 and HTC one (in terms of power), the US versions will have almost identical performance like the One x and S3, choose the one you like more.
59. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3614; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
What the hell?!
Are you and Muran (3rd thread, comment number 36) the same? Or is he your brother?
How can you post the same comment? You guys are even worse trolls!
And for your kind info, the only phone with OIS other than the L920 is HTC One!
16. ˇಠ_ಠˇ (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
It didn't win in the blind video comparison so overall the s4's video quality and capabilities were chosen as better by the readers themselves.
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol idiot S4 is 13mgpix and 920 is 8.7 and those all pics and videos were taken with extremly steady hands with no dynamic envornament u can shutup now
45. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
so the blind comparison is not reasonable? cant we have steady hands?
yeah lumia 920 is far superior in extreme conditions because of image stabilization..
82. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
the comparison was lagit no doubt but my question why everywhere else does 920 wins strange no.. reason others tests more on real dynamic envornaments where most get scrwed PA only runs tests where nothing is concerned i seen the 920 lost here cuz of the pics got over saturated thats strange because i dont see 920 images like those at all anywhere except PA antoher wtf i dont say those comparison was false but defenatly suspisios if all other sites report different with pics and videos
18. amats69 (Posts: 1385; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
no doubt NOKIA wins on this video! if Nokia only go for Android OS... :(
21. taikucing (unregistered)
screw both phones. I want that ferrari lol
100. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
yeah i didn't notice that car though lol....i will pay that car $2M Lol
24. yatmiko (Posts: 36; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
S4 has the great camera, it just metter of time to solve the issue with the software update.
30. ahhxd717 (Posts: 332; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I'm pretty sure the OIS produced by Nokia is hardware, so no software update will give it the same hardware advantage.
115. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Ya a miracle phone with cancer installed on it. Nokia needs to ditch windows.
29. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Nokia is very quickly becoming a "One Trick Pony". All you here about is camera, camera, camera... It's gonna take a little more than that to win over the general consumer. Let's see some feature adds, some customization, or more interesting UI. The camera is great, but what else ya' got? (That was rhetorical Nokia fans, I'm well aware of how good this phone is and what it can do).
94. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia Lumia 920:
1.) Built-in wireless Qi Charging.
2.) Off-line GPS capability, via NavTec
3.) Super bright IPS LED display that can be used even with gloves
4.) Durable Polycarbonate outher shell
5.) Excellent audio play and recording capability
6.) Full pentaband world wide phone support
7.) Nokia Music and city lens apps + others
8.) Kick ass lowlight cam and 1080P video recording
9.) Genuine Microsoft Office Mobile suite.
10.) Windows Phone V.8 security and stability
97. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Aware or not, I don't mind reminding people about what the Lumia 920 is and can do :o`
110. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
LOL, no prob Phantom. Not a bad list either.