Here are 101 reasons not to buy Windows Phone 7.5
0. phoneArena 17 May 2012, 07:36 posted on
Ah, Windows Phone 7.5 Mango! Just saying the name of the platform seems to start controversy - and don’t get us wrong, we appreciate the design work and…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
157. DechyX (Posts: 125; Member since: 16 May 2011)
64 and some do have equalizers
66 you can download stuff from the browser
70 just received a video via text (much to my own surprise) so it can be done
and I'm not knocking your list I'm just using it as a rebuttal against the main articles
159. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
Haha :D it's good to get the facts right! Thanks!
190. kanagadeepan (Posts: 889; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Reminds the tail cut-off fox story... So, if M$ bring those features, you will cry and blame them for bringing or what????
These are the current restrictions... Ask M$ to correct them fast and please don't say, I am happy with the issue and I don't need them anyday...
193. steelicon (Posts: 317; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
The Fox without a Tail
Aesop fable retold by Oban
One day a fox was out walking when suddenly he heard a loud snapping noise and felt a sharp pain in his rear.
“Ooooow!!!!” howled the fox, tears coming to his eyes. “That hurts. Ooooow!!!
The fox looked behind him and saw his tail was caught in a trap. He struggled and struggled to get free but his tail was firmly stuck in the jaws of the trap.
With one last frantic effort the fox used all his strength and broke free.
“Ooooow!!!!” howled the fox as he looked behind him and saw his tail still stuck in the trap. All he had left was a little stump on his backside.
“My tail, my beautiful fluffy tail. What will I do?” he cried. “How will I face all the other foxes without my beautiful tail? It will be so embarrassing.”
The fox thought and thought and finally came up with a plan.
He called all the other foxes together for a meeting.
When the other foxes saw the little stump on his backside they began to laugh.
“I've cut off my tail on purpose and I want you all to do the same” he yelled over the laughter.
“A large tail is more trouble than it's worth”, he shouted. “When we're being chased by dogs it gets in the way, and when we get together for a talk you never know what to do with it. Do you wrap it around your feet, do you sit on it, or do you leave it out for some one to trip over?” asked the fox.
“So now is the time to free yourself from your tail and join me in a tailless society.”
One of the older foxes shook his head and said, “You wouldn’t be saying that if you still had a beautiful tail. You’re only saying that out of your own self interest and because you’re embarrassed.”
All the other foxes walked off laughing with their big bushy tails proudly pointing upwards.
What is the moral of this story?
Do not trust some one with self-interest
Misery loves company
Losing a tail is embarrassing.
200. kanagadeepan (Posts: 889; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
57. Viewing youtube video in browser. Ok. What about M$ owned silverlight support?
58. S60 has it. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
59. Tail-less fox story...
60. so you agree it
61. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
62. Again Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
63. PhoneNetInfo in s60 that reads HID layer and gives infos...
64. again tail-less fox story
65. Not tried this in WP, but surely will try when I see it somewhere
66. plz answer about text reflow
67. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
68. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
69. again tail-less fox story..
70. I never need a tail by a tail-less fox...
71. NOBODY??? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
72. Bing maps better than Google's???? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
73. Even ur lame excuse is better than this sarcasm... That is a bug, boss...
74. PlayStore is lot less restrictive here and for power users there is MarketEnabler..
75. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping... Esp for such a simple thing to implement (most bing features)...
76. Ya, again tail-less fox story here...
77. U know when u experience it (downloading a fairly big file and you need to go away urgently for a min... hehe, for eg answering nature's call ;p )
78. hats off to ur honesty here...
79. Not tried by me
82. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
83. but NOT FULL INFO...
84. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
85. Not so in symbian...
86. Again tail-less fox story here... Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
87. USSD message working to check balance???
88. Even dumbfones have this. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
89. tail-less fox story...
91. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
92. Boss, group calls and GROUP CALLS BY CONTACTS are NOT same... OMG
93. tail-less fox story...
94. seems like pointed out earlier, but a minor difference..
95. Don't know Profiles??? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
96. Usability issue..
97. about sending?? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
124. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
99. No need to because you can use a thing called contact exchange. A smart thing by the way. I wonder if there's an equivalent for iPhone or android...
100. Yeah you can but not to your own mp3...
101. Yes you can... -.-
102. True but I don't see any problem with that...
103. Mmm.. never actually listened to a podcast before...
104. Well d44... -.- (sorry that was the most demining answer I came up with...)
105. I like that it's useful!
106. Ahem... wrong again...
107. Well of course not...
108. No they don't loose exif, I tested that... And no they are not reduced in quality.
109. Yeah there is a hotspot feature... Currently only in nokia 610 and nokia 900 (not sure about other manufacturers). And the feature is comming any time soon to all wp devices.
194. kanagadeepan (Posts: 889; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
98. Hats off to ur honesty here...
99. NO NEED???? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
100. so u agree the limitation
101. No idea, NOT tried in WP
102. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
103. ask steve of allaboutwp
105. useful??? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
106. No idea. have to try in WP
107. Not tried in WP
109. so its absent today, right..
110. hats off for ur honesty here...
125. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
Conclusion: The writer of these 110 statements clearly is a pessimistic retarded moth****** who isn't satisfied with anything... And as for you Phonearena I'm thoroughly disappointed and after posting this I will delete my account and stop reading this site (though I will answer to comments of my posts)... Additionally who would take seriously take seriously or PUBLISH this kind of sh*t that was wrong grammatically AND factually...
It's over now
166. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 456; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
"Windows Phone Sucks!!! And Here's 100 reasons why!!!"
"When you insult my phone, you insult me! Whaaaaaaaa, I'm never coming back to this site again."
My friend, you and just about everyone else in this thread are taking all this WAAaaaaayyyyy too seriously. Android works best for me, so that's what I'm packing. Windows Phone works best for you? Then by all means buy what best suits you. At the end of the day, they're all just a bunch of phones.
Thanks to all for the entertainment - this has been 100% comedy.
181. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
:DD Actually I totally agree with you! I don't hate people because of their opinions but I do hate it when someone makes up rubbish and others praise it... (and yeah I'm taking it too seriously;) A year ago I thought phonearena was one of the best mobile sites because they reported everything that happened. Since then imo the site has become a tad too biased to me...
177. Credo (Posts: 744; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
yes this is not normal anymore, i think this site hates Windows Phone but is still making Articles, funny isnt it ??
One day Phonearena will look up to WP8 what kind of succes it will make together with Windows 8 and Xbox 8 all three with the latest TellMe ;)
197. kanagadeepan (Posts: 889; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
You tried your best in most cases by acting like sleeping, so that others can't wake u up... In some cases, you said WHO NEEDS THAT FEATURE, like a tail-lost fox saying "FOX doesn't NEEDS tail".. And in few cases, you can't even give lame excuses...
Thanks for helping me, to pass the leisure time... And writing gramaticaly wrong is much much better than using bad words... Your teachers have NOT taught that in your school, kid???
137. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
the funny thing is that most of the cons you've just posted don't exist in Symbian phones (e.g. nr 48..it is possible and easy). I know it's not about Sumbian but it only shows how mature Symbian was (and is). the only problem is how it looks like. No eye-candy=less customers.
Most of the cons are silly, suffice to say.
We could dig some androidish and ioish problems too. They wouldn't be so much different or annoying.
PA posted an article with stupid headline and anty MS/Nokia kids started posting comments (yet they have probably never had any windows phone in hands let alone using it). It could be quite funny to read but wrong attitude ruined whole fun.
I wonder what would happen if PA posted similar android/ios article. It would be another holy war.
139. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Susprisingly, most of android can do all those things ( fragmentations vs limitationssssss )
So, we cant call it SMARTPHONE at all, right?
( i hope wp8 can eliminate all those lists )
141. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
that's not the point.
term smartphone lost his meaning.
Today smartphone is an iphone. Android phone either.
And phones often are smarter than users.
My point was that really good article which could be an entrance to discussion turned out to be a spark to arguments.
First of all: the title.
Second: maybe not most of them but lots of these cons are false.
Unintentionally or not author and PA turned Windows Mobile into damn piniata.
142. Mube1 (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Thank god I didn't buy a window ph,ms need a another 2 years to fulfill these features
146. profperez1 (Posts: 67; Member since: 08 May 2012)
Very interesting list. Over the last 3 years I have had Droids (4), the iPhone 4, and a Blackberry. My old Trophy beats them all. My old Trophy is as fast as an iPhone 4. I think if you gave someone a Lumia for 30 days---they wouldn't give it back. By 4Q you will stop seeing these posts. By Nov they will activate 1M Windows phones per week and by Q1 they will be publishing stupid articles on iPhone "killer". (which it won't) I think by 2014 Windows will be in a very close 3rd in activation's.
147. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 866; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
It's already been proven that some of them are crap. Take for example #5 the 16GB cap. This is pure garbage. Nobody wants to make a 32GB version simply because they don't see a reason to spend the money for a bigger memory chip, because they don't feel the market is there for such a model, which I personally find irritating.
#103, yes it does. I just downloaded Tiesto's Club Life the other day from my phone while at the gym on a 4G connection.
#54 Really? I guess Tango and Skype aren't video call apps then.
#22 isn't completely true. You have to go into the document itself and email it from there. You can't be in an email and try and attach it, which is really stupid.
#24 is again crap. I'm using my SE W600 and Jaybird Freedom stereo Bluetooth headsets with my Lumia 900 without a problem.
This list should have been entitled "101 reasons I would never buy a WP - from the perspective of a Symbian/MeeGo user" What's really funny is that if you really dig into this list, first of all not all of it is correct, a lot of stuff I agree with him on, and even funnier, the iPhone lacks a lot of these things too like the ability to attach a document from within the email app and of course no flash player and Swype.
215. rocky459 (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Mar 2012)
Bro the FM point is also wrong , or most of them are just written without using the latest build of Win 7.5
149. 14545 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Ok, after reading all of that, why in the F--- would anyone want it? I mean dealbreaker 1 is the lack of true multitasking. So you mean I can't listen to gmusic or amazon while surfing the web? What's the point of having it?
152. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
jesus...read it more carefully:
1. No true multitasking – apps are frozen in the background. - Although this has been covered a thousand times WP does have multitasking (fetching emails in background, playing MP3); the apps frozen in the BG are a way of quickly jumping from task to task without losing battery and Ram.
154. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
I listen music from grooveshark mobile website and I can multitask or lock my phone without interruption to the music... I can also pause and play the music from the volume control bar which appears when I change my volume.
184. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
does browser have a text overflow?
if not, how do you even use the damn thing??
219. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
is it so hard to use browser without overflow?
156. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
about "true multitasking" whatever it means.
aforementioned Symbian has "true multitasking. Apps are not frozen.
WP has something like ios5. A few native apps can work in the background while the 3rd are frozen (inter alia so that the battery lasts longer)
162. Jdub0323 (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
This is definitely a biased article, but it does bring out some good points. However, it fails to mention how quickly Microsoft has been fixing some of these flaws. To the average consumer this list would seem pretty legitimate...but they REALLY stretched to get the 101 flaws. Most of those are addressing the same issue in some way or another. It's not necessarily flaws that are being pointed out, just things that other phones may have that WP7.5 doesn't. I've been following PhoneArena for over a year and I have to say, I'm really disappointed in them for posting this article!!!! I haven't even seen anything this biased toward BlackBerry who is doing much worse...
174. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
yes like the 10 MMS ones that everyone cares about
175. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
PhoneArena made me sad, feel like looking other phone sites now.. :( huff
176. Credo (Posts: 744; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Yeah 101 reasons, thats why every OEM is interested in it, still Samsung is making WP7.5 devices, Nokia made a revolution with its Lumia devices, look how many devices At&t, Microsoft and Amazon have selled, i'm from Europe and we still have to wait for the devices becouse they are out off stock, thats the succes W¨P7.5 already has.
WP7.5 is officially the 3th best OS in the world, and WP8 still have to come, even with the improved Microsoft TellMe, WP8 will rule soon !
182. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Just another anti-MS-Nokia article from Victor. That unprofessional guy should be kicked (hard) out.
185. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you MS/WP fans are sounding like you're living under a rock..or like someone hit you hard with a rock..
of course that the list is wrong on many points, biased, not fair, far fetched, but MOST OF THE POINTS ARE CORRECT.
anyone ready to ignore that is stupid and ignorant
186. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
let's talk about android flaws. let's see what argument would you have.
That's the point. The article is unfair and for narrow-minded users.
You cannot take it seriously. If you are decently smart you just can't.
Quoting is one but going toward such stupid and in many cases unproven and deceitful arguments is another thing. Especially when it happens on such a popular site like PA.
187. kanagadeepan (Posts: 889; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
NOKIA are you reading or still sleeping...
195. rsiders (Posts: 816; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
And yet you really only need one reason to buy a Windows Phone. Flaws and limitations, you will fall in love and I love Windows Phone. You stick with something you love through the ups and the downs. Can't wait for what's next!
199. downphoenix (Posts: 3144; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Wow, Nokia fan just burned them. And sadly they are right, WP7 does lack a LOT of features or have a lot of restrictions.
202. Owoteva (Posts: 9; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Getting a bit late for the weekly anti-WP article, you guys must be busy with more decent news this week.
Seriously, a good portion of that list applies to iOS. I assumed that anyone reading this website knows that MS was taking a page from the Apple playbook by restricting many of the things that Android is capable of. Is it because that iPhone is reigning No1 that no one bitches about it's restrictions.
More fun picking on the easy target huh?
203. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
"Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps." This is a terrible news, even a simple feature phone can do this task. kinda disappointed. Nokia should defend themselves to this kind of writeups whether true or not.
204. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
A few days ago we read all about this ANTI IOS article 'Letter to Microsoft professes an Apple fanboy’s love for the Lumia 900"... Now someone came up with this '101 reasons not to buy Windows Phone 7.5" .............. Clearly, a marketing ploy.. IOS vs WP, WP vs IOS. Anyways, people are smart enough to discern which one is true.
206. azafirster (Posts: 44; Member since: 01 May 2012)
Love this article, eventhough I am a Lumia 710 user, I agree with them all. Was so hoping they would do over the air fix-it. Nothing till now. About ready to trade in for something else.
231. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
OMG... to think that I am almost ready to sign up for a two year contract with nokia 710 as a free handset. This is not a good sign. I will withold my application though. :-(
207. VncentAaron116 (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
FM Radio DOES work on speaker
You have to long press on the station frequency to access the option
Not the most obvious way to do it, but PLEASE get your facts right
208. Waver (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 May 2012)
SamKB was also a Bada user and a member of mysamsungwave.com forum. His comments were always unbiased and may be a little rough at times on Samsung for their treatment of Bada, but then which bada user is happy with Samsung.
I too am a bada user and interacted with SamKB on the above mentioned forum. Calling his posts biased, is at best a lack of appreciation of reality.
And I am not saying this because is a fellow of the same forum as I. I am saying this because this chap has been truly unbiased. Mistaken in a few points, could be. But biased, hell no.
209. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Hopefully Microsoft will take notice to alot of these short-comings. They're obviously not ALL true, but even if half, 50, are true than it's still an awful lot of of missing features. My biggest thing is that no phone can be upgraded to Windows 8. That's BS!!! So you're just stuck with what you got, it'll never improve or get better. It's basically like MS is starting over again.
210. xtplnet (Posts: 52; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Please , Phone Arena foreword this 101 reasons to that stupid Stephen Elop and to Steve Ballmer so that they can include half of there features in windows Phone 8.
211. ffaarrooqq (Posts: 65; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Thank god I am not using Windows Phone.
In todays market limitations doesn't work.
216. xenover (Posts: 174; Member since: 27 May 2011)
81. Phone cannot be charged when off.
220. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
hmm...is it a problem? is it a REAL DEALBREAKER??
Where is the problem? Turning on the phone and start charging...
I didn't know it was so hard and inconvenient.
217. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
How many of these downsides are present in the last/latest iPhone ?
221. fongy (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
The ironic thing here is that you can have virtually the same experience on Android using Launcher 7, with all the raw power and flexibility of Android in the background...
I'm currently using Launcher 7 (I've actually downgraded my phone from a GS2 to an Xperia Play, until the new Nexus is out), it's clean and easy to use, and works really well on lower-specced phones, but I know that the compromises are just too great to actually take the leap... as well as the overpriced apps / games and shortage of them..
When a solo developer can actually produce something better than the entirety of Microsoft... you have to wonder where all that money goes...
223. DechyX (Posts: 125; Member since: 16 May 2011)
I've used Launcher 7 and Windows 7(7.5)... they look similar, but they're nowhere near the same. Creating a launcher and creating an OS are to incredibly different things, otherwise GOLauncher and ADW could just make their own OS... right?
230. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you are very wrong. And it is clear that you have never used any windows phone.
222. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1506; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Folks you Know what is true in responce to this article and this going to shock you
dispite all the Windows 7.5 mango OS faults Windows smart phones will still sell well
enough to make a profit for those who make them and they work well enough for People to keep buying them. I do hope that someone at Microsoft's main office takes not of this list and makes sure Windows 8 smartphones donot come to the market place weak like the Windows 7 series smartphones did with no cut and paste and no multitasking or front facing camera and using Mid technology CPU and no high def screen and ect. Microsoft has a chance now with windows 8 to really give the market place something People will want to buy..folks please realize that a smart phone does not have to do everything to sell well it just has to do certain basic things well and be priced right
229. minhaj18 (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 May 2012)
All of them are true.. Even the bonus shortcomings.
232. techsavvy.jaz (Posts: 152; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
It's pretty simple, who are willing to live with these shortfalls will buy the Windows Phone, who can't buy something else, and who are smart enough will wait for Windows Phone 8 aka Apollo.
234. DirtyMike (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 May 2012)
I just want to clear up some of the things the author is stating. I know it will get downvoted and most likely hidden, but if you do see this I hope it gives you an idea of what Windows Phone really is.
4. Sort of true, Samsung Focus has sd card slot. Iphone doesnt have one either.
11. I guess 40 seconds is a strict constraint?
15. There are definitely ways to sideload apps. Just look around for it.
27. I'm pretty sure most phones do not do that
29. How do you know that? It hasn't even been announced yet...
30. Tap the top of the screen to see it
33. They are shown on live tiles
39. Closes after a couple of hours automatically. It is for ease of use.
42. You can turn off online contacts.
46. If you click the bold letters/numbers on the top it goes to the area where you can call them.
49. One slide and you are there.
54. Tango and Skype
57. Iphone doesn't have it either
72. Google has said they will file charges against Microsoft if they use any of their copyright material. Shame on you, Google!
74. Developers control this, not Microsoft.
77. For maximum battery life.
82. Yet again for maximum battery life.
87. T-mobile has prepaid lumia 710's, I don't think they would sell them without them working.
104. How would you get the data without an internet connection?
There are other things that don't make sense as bad things as well.
For being such a fresh OS it has a lot of features that were missing from others until years after they were released
235. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
thaaaat's right phonearena! feed the damn trolls. :) good job!
237. rodex (Posts: 23; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
OS limitations??? most of these apply to iOS as well.. if Voice search is hardwired to bing, what's the negative in that? 14. can't sync with outlook?? i didn't even finish the list, but there seems to be a lot of inaccurate information with no research whatsoever. you can't sideload apps in any phone unless its jailbroken/rooted etc.. fun read but baseless with no factual support!!