Here are 101 reasons not to buy Windows Phone 7.5
0. phoneArena 17 May 2012, 07:36 posted on
Ah, Windows Phone 7.5 Mango! Just saying the name of the platform seems to start controversy - and don’t get us wrong, we appreciate the design work and…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
68. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the article was kinda true but mean, for it purely tells negative i was able to use symbian and an ios and now an android and a wp7 using the os offers simplicity and contentment its easy to use and very intuitive coming from an android its really hard to like wp7 AT FIRST! but as i starting to discover the fluidity of the os it makes me love it more than my android and even my ios(the only advantage is the ecosystem) suggesting wp7 in people who are using highend droids are difficult because of the os simplicity but WHEN try using it i'll guarantee that it will offer something different that cannot be explained by mare words it is close to the word contentment the simplistic approach is one of the best im nothing against any os im not a fanboy of any of it as a matter of fact im planning to get galaxy s III to try a built in ics os.. my only point is that wp7 doesnt deserve to be criticized by the people who haven't tried the os yet for weeks or for a month. its like judging the book by its cover..
69. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
I tried using a Windows Phone, but it was after owning an gsm Galaxy Nexus. I couldn't even give it 30 days but I forced myself to give it a solid try. After some heavy use, I went back to my Nexus with glad and sincerely open arms. My conclusion was that Windows Phone was just stupid. That being said, 104 seems a little nitpicky seeing that even on the other two big OS you can't download music players without a connection. (unless they're already preinstalled) How else would you download it? Connecting to your desktop? The rest, pretty spot on.
77. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 169; Member since: 03 May 2012)
"Windows phone was stupid"
Like a 3rd grader wrote this.
103. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
I had to explain it in simple laymens terms since those who don't use Android say it's "complicated", meanwhile the rest of the world understands it completely. So yeah, it's stupid. Somehow you understood the word and my point.
198. Penny (Posts: 1647; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Conversely, I could argue that those with WP7 devices spend less time on their phones, the result of which is their blissful ignorance of missing features and higher satisfaction with the user experience.
If they spend less time on the phone, does that mean they spend more time being productive in the real world? If they are more productive in the real world than Android users, is their intellect simply more capable than Android users?
Well, since you started down this path, who am I to refute baseless generalizations?
71. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Nokia and MS haters. Read it and then post your meaningless coments.
To tell the truth, Symbian indeed has much more features than typical android boy ever heard.
Don't forget how android looked like few years ago. Should I point you his limitations at this time? W7 started a year ago. Few months ago received a huge update and at the end of this year Nokia is going to release Windows 8 phone. Still, fanboys claim progress is too slow.
Btw. does your android can change themes?
80. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
My android can change themes, wallpapers, live wallpapers, keyboards, number of homescreens, app drawer, dock, system fonts, launchers(i can even put a Windows Phone launcher on it, lol)..you name it, i can change it!
115. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
it was just a question. No need to get nasty.
74. Chaoko (Posts: 4; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Most of these features also apply to IOS, my GF has 24gb available in her Samsung Focus...It is a bit rough as many users just don't want it too complicated, I still like the OS.
76. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 169; Member since: 03 May 2012)
None of these things make a huge difference besides the flash player. Ive had all three, and would choose wp7 everyt time. Some of these dont even make sense, made by a fanboy? Wp7 is gonna over take the others with wp8, so say whatever you want about 7.
78. karandeepchopra (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Mar 2011)
Oh i respectfully agree to those 101 reasons
Windows OS for mobile just totally sucks..........
81. onggeo (Posts: 30; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I'm a WP 7.5 user (I have an HTC 7 Trophy), and I agree with some points and find other points to be completely useless for how I use my phone which is basically surfing the web, playing a few games, and most of all social networking and texting. My biggest pet peeve is how wifi turns off when screen is locked. It gets me paranoid as I only have 300mb per month worth of data. A data counter app like 3G Watchdog would be the perfect remedy imo. That said the only thing that really bothers me is how PA entitled the article. I know they're just doing a public service and pointing out flaws of the OS, but I feel like they're singling out WP and it's like they're dissing the OS. Entitling it "Why people should wait for WP8" would be a better title imho.
110. Victor.H (Posts: 632; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Point taken that the title could have been different. It is what it is partly as homage to the idea of the author of the list, and while I can agree that it gives the provocative negative side, it makes it perfectly clear that we're talking about Windows Phone 7.5 as it is in the moment, not Windows Phone after a year, or a decade.
83. crysiswarmonger (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
I am just not sure why you would buy a windows phone. If you disable all of those features on other phone OS's (android or ios) and you could "smoke" others too. I bet I can boot up a windows 3.1 computer ( with 640x480 resolution (no 3d) simple driver,no sound, no cd drive and no other features) on an old 80486 faster than windows 7 on pentium x.
100. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
except the smoking was done using common tasks everyone does. WP7 does the main stuff well... it just has a lot of little missing things right now that are really not all that necessary at the end of the day. The developemnt focused on getting the core things right (and rightly so!) and is working on the little bits as it goes along. The joys of starting afresh... it can't all happen instantly.
169. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
The thumbs down was probably someone who got smoked!
84. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
Wow good thing this site isnt the place where the world buys phones...lol
The title is just pure hatred...lol
over 20 reasons is excessive... 101 is insanely prejudice!
either way... people will buy windows phones and love them...
its like we want an OS that gives "freedom" and "options" but want to "restrict" everyone to buying one specific OS device "android"..... thats not reality...
85. fongy (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
I was considering jumping from Android to WP8 next year, but I doubt most of these will be fixed... the volume issues and ringtone issues are just criminal, as is the lack of 3rd part browsers...
MMS restrictions are also horrific...
And no file manager... or mass storage?!?!
And the whole dependency on Zune is just totally unnecessary... it's iTunes all over again...
I'm sure WP8 will address technical issues such as expandable memory, screen resolution, etc.
But they need to let go a bit otherwise what you've got is a very under-developed iOS-style system with a fraction of the functionality or apps... and why would you bother with that?
86. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
@ Victor.H, I don't anything against your website but as you stated: ''PhoneArena is saying that you should know about the missing features before you decide whether to buy Windows Phone now''...Then you should chnage the tittle of the article to say: ''101 things you should know before buying a WP7 phone''...that would sound more professional.
102. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
phonearena is now a tabloid ... time to find a more intelligent site.
112. Victor.H (Posts: 632; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Point taken that the title could have been less radical, yet for many those 101 things could actually stop them from buying a WP device at the moment, right?
117. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
but why would you want to "stop" someone from buying a phone?
all we can do is educate, recommend, persuade.
never "stop"... i can see if WP7 devices were packed with C4 and killing people after so many calls...lol
170. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
exactly...really if this was an intelligent article you'd instead educate the public on the benefits on wp7 intead of trying to give further credit to some disgruntled symbian and meego fans.
88. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
so yesterday i postad a comment saying i was tempted to use a windows phone at this time...
i take that back! ill jus wait for WP8
90. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
If Iphone 2G can arrive with no MMS and cut and paste, then windows will be ok.
91. samystic (Posts: 227; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
17. Images and photos cannot be renamed in the phone
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
what the f**k?
21. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
u kidding me MS?
22. Only photos allowed as email attachments, documents not allowed.
don't like it eh MS?
24. Cannot stream audio from video to Bluetooth devices (No A2DP).
stop this nonsense MS!
25. No support for full on-device encryption required for secure applications like mobile banking and online payment.
what were you thinking MS??
30. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on.
32. Search and Back button cannot be de-activated in apps or games and easily touched by accident which interrupt your user experience.
should i waste my time mentioning all?? nah!!
MS you have destroyed Nokia!
loyal Nokia fan
95. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
More Wp7 hating from phonearena. What is your problem?!?!
107. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
I know right? If not for them, Windows Phone would be flying off the shelves in record numbers... and maybe not have all the above issues.
171. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
Doesn't change the fact its hate-mongering as proven by the multitudes of comments hating further. Good job phonearena
172. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
It can be both ... which it is .. but it is still both.
96. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
And for all you symbian/meego users....
1. Wifi hotspot not limited to ad-hoc - wp7 has infrastruture mode which is far superior!
2. WP7 is actually alive not dying away
3. WP7 just looks better and is far more intuitive
4. Ovi store is terrible and slow
5. For symbian ... widgets, that clock and so on ... trying to be android?
6. For Meego ... have you a decent document editor yet?? MS Office on board here.
7. For Meego ... your main phone the N9 is stuck with a micro sim slot. Better leave you at home you are so much trouble to travel abroad with.
and so on....
119. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
why on earth did you bash Symbian/Meego? Have some bad memories or what?
I'd like to see windows 7, 8 or whatever expansion but for now it is indeed profoundly behind Symbian in terms of functionality.
173. jimjam (Posts: 257; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
did you even read the article....... I bash the basher
97. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
this answers my question. i asked PA knows best and no reply, I read WP7 Articles, some help - but this.... convinced me to keep my Xperia Play.
98. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
You can point out a million reasons to not buy wp7.5 and I still would still love. You also don't what's in store for wp8 so I wouldn't discount WP. Its young and it has lots of room to grow unlike other platforms which mature I believe. The one thing though I am disappointed with is NO FLASH support! Otherwise it does everything I need it to do. The way I see, you just can't win them all, right woz?
104. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
This article should be removed or written in another way or changed the title.
105. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
This is total bulls**t phonearena, I am disappointed... I will have my list ready soon where I will invalidate almost everything written on the list...
133. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
yea please do, i bet lots would like to see that list.
It will very interesting if you can invalidate atleast 25% of that list
148. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
I'd be pleased if you took your time and read my comments! I think I invalidated atleast 90% if you don't count in the features no one even knows/cares or uses...
106. threed61 (Posts: 192; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The list maker clearly didn't use the music features, those complaints are just flat wrong. Lots of this is dead on. Many useful features from the Symbian/PalmOS/Winmo era are gone from more modern OS'es, (calendars truly suck!). But much of that is because of the app/cloud structure used today.
I switched from Android (which is a good, versatile OS), to WP for 2 things WP doesn't have... lag and force closes.
108. djripster (Posts: 138; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
I personally love my Windows Phone, and I can see that most of these 101 reasons won't really bother the general phone user... Like many have pointed out, if you don't like what Windows Phone has to offer, you have Android and iOS to choose from...
But the number one reason for someone not to buy Windows Phone 7.5 should simply be 'Will my Windows Phone Mango device receive the WP8 update?'
Lets face it, Microsoft will make this list nearly obsolete with WP8. So unless we know for certain, we will have to accept that WP7.5 has its faults and learn to live with them... Because the 'goods' in my estimate outweigh the 'bads'...
116. Victor.H (Posts: 632; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Absolutely agree with the WP8 update situation. We'll run through this list again after Windows Phone 8 gets released by the way, so hopefully we'll have the issues polished out by then.
120. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
1. No current phone on the market has ”true multitasking” excluding the Nokia N9.
2. There's an app for that. Almost any third party app will play divx and xvid.
3. Android phones are the only ones equipped with this functionality. (apart from dumb phones)
4. SD cards are no substitute for HDDs they are slow in comparison so it's better to have enough internal storage.
5. This I have nothing to say to. It's enough for me but too little for someone else.
6. Who would want a filemanager? They are bulky, especially with touch operation. I would get rid off it from my computer if I could. Everything works just fine without it.
7. You need a program for all smartphones (except android which has to have a file manager because nobody has had luck creating a program that would work properly...) Music, photos, videos... what else is there? All documents will automatically be uploaded to sky drive and that way to your device.
8. You're complaining about MS security policy? I guess you never heard what google or Apple is?
9. That is true. For me it's alright but it certainly could bother someone else. Additionally in a year or two everyone will laugh at HD screens because of the poor resolution. The resolution needed depends on the screen size.
10. As I've stated before voice controll is almost totally useless. For those who think it's not: iPhones search is ”hardwired” to google as well as androids. Additionally how would this even matter?
11. There's an app for that... 'nuf said
12. No smartphone has this feature except with the help of an app. Wp too.
13. I don't even know what that is so apparently atleast I won't be needing that.
14. And? Who the f*** uses outlook, no offense... It's the most unsecure and badly designed email I know.
15. Yes you can if you jailbreak/root your device... you have the same problem with iPhone. You can do this with android but I wouldn't suggest it because even without that android has the most malware of all ecosystems.
16. Excuse me? Why would there be need for that?
17. Again a feature nobody needs... I take LOTS of pictures with my camera and my phone and I would never have time to rename them.
18. Again why would someone want to do that and why can't you do that on your computer? It can't be that urgent that you need to do this with your phone.
19. Yes there is, your home screen. Much more clever than a dropdown menu thats in your way all the time when you play fruit ninja...
20. Why would my phone be turned off?
21. Idle screen? If you mean the home screen you have all your notifications there to please you. If you meant the lock screen you have the time AND your notifications there.
23. True but to use this you have to have a car and a car with certain bluetooth functionality. So they who suffer from this are a tiny minority. Additionally how many smartphones do have rSAP protocol?
24. This is true but not many people would use this anyway.
25. Yeah show me a phone that does have full on-device encryption
131. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
regarding point nr. 3.
Symbian has it as well. USB OTG in N8 for example in time where it was rare and almost impossible to encounter in android phones (but of course, in reviews often called a "gimmick").
136. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
Oh yes that is true! apologies for that :)
151. DechyX (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 May 2011)
22 is false, you can send documents as well
158. 14545 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Define "true multitasking"? I can run a music player, torque(OBD connection), a browser and navi, all at the same time with almost no hiccups. So, I'm not sure what more one would need. But if the article is correct, then it freezes the "app" in the memory, but it is not active. Am I reading that wrong on the WP side? I don't own a WP, and I won't claim it can or can't do anything without someone who does own one chiming in. Personally, I hate metro, and felt abandoned when MS went from WinMo to WP. That's when I switched to Droid.
161. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
If you use facebook chat on your android or iphone (not sure about wp) and then switch to another app so you will appear as offline ( or "on mobilephone" if you're friend is on a computer) for the time you are not using the facebook app. I can't explain it very well because I'm not an expert
191. kanagadeepan (Posts: 892; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
1. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
2. How you move that FULL quality xvid file (say some GB in size) to WP?
3. Forgot the Symbian, which the Tr0jan H0rse threw away for w0rthless WP
4. So you will throw away WP, when M$ brings the support for SD cards in WP8? Again Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
5. So you agree that as a limitation
6. No need for File Manager???? Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
7. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
8. But if one doesn't want it, you should have a choice???
9. So you agree it
10. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
11. So you agree that its natively impossible...
12. Again Symbian has that..
13. So you agree it (U don't need it, but still)
14. Ask M$ to kill Outlook, for the goodness of WP ;-p
15. Plz stop BS.. Sideloading can be enabled in Settings and no need for rooting.. For newbies to avoid malwares, that option disabled by default...
16. Choices boss, choices... Lack of it NOT a feature..
17. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
18. So you agree that complaint
19. But going to home, moves the current app to refrigerator right???
20. Say for eg, when ur child switched it off accidently...
21. The home screen buddy..
22. OHH... NOT possible to give even lame excuses to this point...
23. Fine, you agree then.. Again, Cars with that function is a Minority a few years back, NOT now...
24. That is NOT a good excuse for omission...
25. possible in Nokia E72
122. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
26. Never tried this and I don't see a reason to do that for any practical purpose...
27. Umm... what? I haven't seen this feature in any phone and I don't know what would happen if you had your phone in your pocket...
28. I have a phone... it does a lot of things. For me my lumia is a way of doing things not the object that I do things to. Simply said: I don't want to use time tinkering with my phone I want it to work as it is and straight out of the box and wp does exactly that.
29. There is no info on that, only rumors which the latest ones are positive. If Nokia and microsoft wants to improve their image (what they need to do right now) they will bring wp 8 to the current gen. with what ever the cost.
30. This is true though I don't see what the great loss is...
31. This is a thing that has bothered me as well. You have to open the app and then press ”go back” button to close the program.
32. This problem is in all smartphones with capacitive buttons under the screen. The real problem is infact the form factor (how close the buttons are to the screen).
33. How is this even an issue?
34. Yeah there is. 1. go to multitasking window 2. select app 3. press back...
35. The text size depends on your screen size... Perhaps you need a bigger screen.
36. This is true and it bothers me too a little.
37. Why would you want to edit it? This is partially the same problem as 36.
38. This is true but it hasn't bothered me.
39. Sorry for the bad language, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed but how retarded must one be to accidentally press the play button? Additionally this problem is in all current smartphones...
40. True but probably doesn't bother most people...
41. Cannot change lock screen orientation? Really? You concider this an issue?
42. That's a good thing, right? xD
43. You're in the wrong menu... You call people from the people hub...
44. True but copying the text works as well...
45. I can't make anything out of your language...
46. Yes, you can.
47. Why would you want to delete your messages? And I think one by one or the whole thread seems good enough...
48. Only android does this (not even all versions).
49. Umm... again this is no issue... Just a swipe and you're where you wanted to be...
50. There is a thing called search, have you heard of it? Or you can just scroll the apps list all the way down if you don't remember the name of the app... Additionally it can't be a very important app if you can't remember the name...
51. This is true but there's an app for that if it bothers someone...
52. What is this?
53. Umm... yeah people want wi-fi over 3g usually... If you want to use mobile data just turn you wi-fi off.
54. Yeah there is... Skype and Tango. If you referred to a ”normal” call with video so no there isn't one but then again there a so few compatible phones so why would anyone need this feature?
55. I don't find that an issue.
56. I don't use swype so it doesn't bother me but to someone else this could be an issue.
153. DechyX (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 May 2011)
27 some phones can do this, including WP7 ones, but it's rare and not a necessity
192. kanagadeepan (Posts: 892; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
26. So u agree
27. thats an ex of making good use of sensor
28. so you agree WP is as good as feature phone only
29. agree.. But M$ didn't rejected this till now...
30. that is called usability issue..
31. Hats off to your honesty here for accepting the fact.
32. but no way to avoid this at all is usability issue
33. how about using notification LED...
34. sometimes back+back+back+....
35. How about possiblity of increasing font size like in NokiaC1
36. hats off to your honesty
37. point36 is about creation, 37 is about editing
38. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
39. Think b4 u ink boss... Music player can be closed in many OS..
40. so you agree the limitation
41. yes.. Lack of choice is called as issue and NOT feature..
42. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
43. reminds Jobs words "U are holding it wromg"
44. That is NOT a good excuse
45. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
46. not as simple as in others
47. How about deleting all old 99 messages in a thread of 100...
48. heard pencil/abc key in OLD Symbian and use of # button in S60??
49. that is y, he said it as usability issue
50. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
51. so u agree that stock calendar is less useful
52. usability issue
53. again usability issue
54. Can't wake a man who is acting like sleeping...
55. so you agree that limitation and happy to live with that (FORCED BY WP)
56. swype for fast typing, even S^3 has it...
123. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
57. Do you need it? Additionally mobile flash is being slowly killed.
58. Are you serious? There are MUCH better programming languages to base apps on than java... And THERE ARE NO JAVA APPS FOR WP SO WHY WOULD YOU WANT JAVA APP SUPPORT?
59. I'm not a stalker and I do not wish to record any calls and don't see any reason to do so.
60. Ok if you like the feature of blocking people then it might bother you...
61. This is true but I never found any use for screenshots on my iPod touch. To someone else this could be an issue.
62. Again... Who needs this?
63. Ahem... Do you even know what you are talking about? What exact apps are you missing that would fall to this category?
64. I find no need for that... If you have enough money to buy a smartphone so why wouldn't you buy some reasonably good headphones that don't require tweaking...
65. Yeah it does...
66. You have RSS readers available... If you want to read something later you can just save the page...
67. This hasn't been a problem... IE works just fine...
68. xD excuse me? Sign of an immature os? You can't zoom with the volume buttons on the iPhone either... Additionally why would you want to use digital zoon when it is the same as cropping the picture afterwards.
69. Yeah if you find that as an issue...
70. I never send MMS because they are pretty expensive but if you do then yes it's a problem...
71. Nobody probably really even uses office apps on mobile phones...
72. 1. There's a 3rd party google maps available. 2. Bing maps work in more places than google maps. 3. There is a thing called nokia maps that I and a lot of people concider much better than any other map service...
73. Oh yes I read my emails that I recieved years ago everyday and this bothers me very much... (see the irony, right?)
74. Ehem? So play store and appstore doesn't have this difference?
75. Things like local scout doesn't even exist on other platforms...
76. Yeah the same as iPhone and I love this feature!
77. And the problem was?
78. This is a bug and can only be found in lumias. (fix is comming)
79. Not true...
80. That's weird, but I don't see the problem...
81. just lol...
82. Yeah true but don't see any annoyance in that...
83. It's nice that the info is displayed more spaciosly...
84. yeah a lol again...
85. You can do this with any phone and I don't see why this is so terrible...
86. Iphone doesn't have this feature either but I never use bluetooth anyway so no problem for me...
87. Prepaid works just fine...
88. No other phone does this either... And this would be a totally useless feature anyway...
89. No need to.
90. No need for that either...
91. Not sure what you're getting at?
92. You can do group calls.
93. Of course not that would be totally retarded...
94. This is the second time you mention this and yes, it's true...
95. You can choose different ringtones for different peoples if that's what you mean.
96. True but not an issue at least for me.
97. Yes you can via email just recieved one today.