Here are 101 reasons not to buy Windows Phone 7.5
0. phoneArena 17 May 2012, 07:36 posted on
Ah, Windows Phone 7.5 Mango! Just saying the name of the platform seems to start controversy - and don’t get us wrong, we appreciate the design work and…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
25. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Lets say: you have 101 ponit to not to buy WP,only I have the same list, but now with explanations, where you can see that most of them are false . . .
37. kamejoko (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
Nokia (employ) + Microsoft (employ).
wp7 = 1/2 Bada (sold).
40. kamejoko (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
wp7.5 (MS + nokia + samsung + htc + lg + Zte + Toshiba + sharp) = 1/2 Bada (samsung).
65. fenixsama (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
i'm using my N9 now and wifi hotspot works perfectly. i agree, meego is great. nokia should have invested more on meego. would have been phenomenal, i think.
8. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
11. Cannot use any MP3 file as ringtone except those with strict constraints. true- but there are multiple apps that allow you to set custom ringtones
12. Cannot set static IP address so no connection to ad-hoc networks. No idea
13. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone. No idea
14. Cannot sync with Outlook. Outlook is synced with your live account which is constantly synced with your phone (wasn’t this considered a problem in number 8?)
15. Totally closed OS, cannot sideload apps outside MS Marketplace. How many times are we gonna cover the same point? and there are legal ways to sideload apps
16. System font size cannot be changed. Seriously? it’s a hell lot nicer than Nokia Sans
17. Images and photos cannot be renamed in the phone. Not sure- but it’s not the end of the world and def. no where near a “devestating Problem”
18. Windows Live ID account cannot change country once set. that’s to figure out which version of the marketplace you get- legal obligations or something
19. No centralized notification page. Who else has that other than Meego? Your tile page acts as a notification page – each respective tile shows respective alerts (phone = missed calls, Messaging = Messages & Chat.. etc.)
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this. Updated From Comments- Apparently the Alaram DOES ring when the phone is off
10. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
21. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications. One of my beefs with the Lumias, hopefully will be changed in Win 8- but still it’s not considered devastating, just tap the lock screen and it’ll pop up
22. Only photos allowed as email attachments, documents not allowed. - Updated from Comments- Text documents and other files can be emailed
23. Bluetooth cannot stream to car audio devices (no rSAP). Yes it can- i hook my Lumia up to my car daily- and it even automatically plays music once it’s conencted
24. Cannot stream audio from video to Bluetooth devices (No A2DP). Haven’t tried it
25. No support for full on-device encryption required for secure applications like mobile banking and online payment. Yes there is, the Lumia 610 with NFC is a mastercard approved payment device
26. Cannot use Bluetooth keyboard. No idea
27. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone. A missed feature, hopefully to come (it was one of the thigns we discussed at MWC with the Lumia device team)- Available in other WP OEMs
28. Very limited customization option. What does that even mean? Tiles look nice unlike the default Symbian theme (until Anna came along with squircles)
29. Ugly 2D flat interface. Oversized fonts for headings treat you like an idiot. The author of the article is obviously unbiased.
11. jubbing (Posts: 150; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Some of these are actually stupid. Some are correct, and there's no beating around the bush, but some are just rumors!
29. Cannot be upgraded to WP8 (Apollo) (Not confirmed by Microsoft, ruins the authenticity of the entire article).
73. Email time stamp does not show the year.(Seriously???)
15. Totally closed OS, cannot sideload apps outside MS Marketplace. (wrong, try developer unlocking it).
These are just some which I pulled our from random. Yes most of these are true, but it's really just a stupid article.
12. Iphone4 (unregistered)
thats is worse then apple. if thats the case why do i want to buy one then? they trying to be Apple but it did't work for then but it di for apple.
13. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
30. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth on. bar is easily accessible by tapping the top of the screen anywhere
31. Taskmanager has no option to shut down apps you don’t want running in the background. No need as it doesn’t waste any battery or Ram- if you’re going to rant show some consistency- this is a direct contradiction of #1
32. Search and Back button cannot be de-activated in apps or games and easily touched by accident which interrupt your user experience. Not all WP have capactive buttons (710 & 610 have hardware buttons)
33. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification. how is this different than #21?
34. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen. Apps can be closed by pressing the windows button- and they dont need to be closed since freezing them doesn’t use any battery or Ram
35. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45. Nice you scientifically found the age where WP becomes garbage..aslo WP supports reading all messages out loud
36. Cannot edit playlist or create new playlists from phone. Updated from Comments; not true- Here’s how
37. Cannot delete a song from phone. Actually you can
38. Cannot search your music collection on the phone. Yes you can.
39. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot. Why is this an issue? If anything it’s a feature- being able to access your last played music with the touch of a button- and for anyone who claims it’s obtrusive it’s def. not- this is what it looks like
40. No progress bar for current track playing and no indication which track in an album is playing Obvious proof that author ahs never used a WP- of course theres a progress bar and Album name
14. wendygarett (unregistered)
the addition for the iphone:
no 'back' button (inconsistency)
16. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
And that's only half of answers on this bulls**t what phonearena just posted. I am very disappointed in PhoneArena for misleading potentional windows phone users.
17. blinkdagger (Posts: 81; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Agreed. The title is SO misleading potential users
19. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wow a lot of those negatives are also very fitting for iOS. basically this guy is making a case that everyone should buy android. symbian is dead.. he just needs to get over it.
it reminds me of when a lot of us windows 6xx users were crying foul when iOS first came out. super popular but it didn't do shyt. we couldn't understand why someone would pay so much for so little.
24. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Just a quetion PhoneArena, but did you go through this list and find any points worth challenging? I have seen plenty of other sites go through this list and find serious issues...to include repetitiive issues and outright falsehoods. Just curious, are some of your sponsors happy with your article?
31. Victor.H (Posts: 381; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Yes, I did, and there are a few points worth challenging (some are biased, some are based on rumors), but in their great majority the list represents very real missing features which we hope will be fixed in Windows Phone 8.
Also, we'd be happy to publish a similar list with iOS/Android flaws to be fair, even if it has less points. For the moment, though, this caught our eye as pretty comprehensive and deserving your attention, and that's why you're reading it.
49. N6600 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 May 2012)
In my opinion, the whole article is utterly stupid. You are presenting YOUR reasons why not to buy WP and state is as a general need or fail. WP was inteded for general consumers and it does a really good job. Therefore stating that nr. 73 is a serious issue, is (let's say) foolish.
As for me - I am here for the first and the last time. The title got me here. Just for curiosity I went through your points and all in all - it cost me some time, which I regret. It was a waste.
An advice for you - try to see through the eyes of the average consumer. Not a geek.
75. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
To be fair, this isn't PhoneArena's article, it's a repost from another site. Personally I think the article should have been presented as "X website has come up with these reasons why not to buy WP 7.5. We've highlighted the most noticeable to a typical user, and also pointed out the most obvious flaws. What do you think? Are these deal-killers?" and leave it at that
212. N6600 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that. But let's be honest - it does not matter that much, because I don't think they changed anything. Including the title. So they adopted other's point and agreed with them.
130. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
but smartphones are also made for geeks too, not just the average consumer and many of the things in that list are important to the average consumer as well.
213. N6600 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but iOS and WP are clearly for an average consumer. Turn on, set up basic things and go. On the other hand, Android is "set up the OS your way". None of my friends who own Android have the original OS on their phone (XDA is their home page :D).
To be honest, I started with iOS, continued with Android and ended up with WP. And I know, my next phone will be WP again. I agree with some of the points in the article, but points like 26, 29 or 65 are just plain bulls**t!
29. patdidi (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 May 2012)
sad to see nokia popularity is sinking together with wp7, they should have join android ecosystem instead
32. dhawaldamania (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
In Windows Phone's defense, this is the FIRST Version after the makeover!
33. MickDM (Posts: 63; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
all-time low...even for vh...btw, wonder what kind of list could have been compiled for ios & android out the gates...any takers? Ijs...
34. uzislim (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I am an iPhone user . 3GS to be specific . I went with this phone when 1ghz android phones were available with HD cams and all better specifications . Reason simple android got great raw power but I want a phone with smooth interface and I went with iPhone 3GS and I don't regret my choice .
Now am considering to buy a new one and Lumia 800 falls under my budget at around 24k INR . I can go with dual core android phones with full HD cam Luke HTC sensation but I believe Lumia will be great for me after watching 100s of reviews . I will go with Lumia 900 if it's priced not too high ....
Comparing this with iPhone 4 , i4 costs 37k INR for 8GB model in India so comparing both phones i4 is not worth 37k as HTC one X is only at 36k ....
What Phonearena posted here is ridiculous ....these guys rate every iPhone high even when the limitations pointed out by them is present in iOS and to tell truth no one cares and that's why iPhone is outselling android if we compare it with model wise not as a whole ....
So stop posting rubbish things and be a HYPOCRITE when your guys favorite smartphone has same limitations ....
Each OS has its on plus and falls ...
Go with what u like and stop bashing other OS bcos u like what u have
35. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Does anyone remember me hating on wp7 on a few articles. well now where are the people who thumbed me down????? feels soooo good to be right. wp7 is just.... Well read the article.
39. frydaexiii (Posts: 1157; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Hey, here's a list of OS limitations for Android!
OS Limitation :
93. AndroidShiz (Posts: 145; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Meanwhile in the real world.... Android continues to flourish.
41. FoneAddict (Posts: 176; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Windows Phone = FAIL. Nokia needs to ditch Microsoft ASAP before it's too late.
This list just highlights the obvious problems with Windows Phone and Nokia don't seem to have enough clout to address any of these problems without Microsoft's consent.
99. AndroidShiz (Posts: 145; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
You do realize that the CEO at Nokia or whatever he's called, "Manchurian Candidate" cough* used to work at Microsoft right? It wouldn't matter if the phone came with a TV tube attached and thick as a stack of phone books, they would have pushed out this phone.
42. allen83 (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
The point of this article is that compared to the original OS of nokia Symbian and Meego, the platform of Windows have a big disadvantage over the matured Symbian and the infant Meego when it comes to the usability of the phone. In any part of the world usability is more important than its applications. As for me this article has already been around for weeks and read them already on Tomi Ahonen's blog site. Sure many will be pissed off with this article but the truth hurts and the windows os had just its minor fixes when nokia has been around them. When nokia is not around some of fhe usability features of the windows OS will not be seen and be fix
43. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
No mass storage mode hurts all of us pirates. Arrr!
54. akbar (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
May be you are right, lack of mass storage mode does not hurt you, "users".
44. dhawaldamania (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
LOL, the writer needs to get laid, how did he compile such a huge list of fault .. or maybe it's a women
46. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 08 May 2012)
WE SAY™ this is much restricted than our IOS.....!?
50. pongkie (Posts: 492; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
windows tries to differentiate and simplifies a smartphone so they don't cram all the stuff in unless many users persists on a feature that will be added to wp 8. that's the whole point of windows phone. I should not be messy
Microsoft doesn't want to give a user experience similar to ios or andriod. when i first tried an wp it's really confusing because i'm used with my android but every time I go back to the demo device in the store I kinda get what MS is trying to do.
If MS did all that it will be another android or ios clone
51. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Good for apple fans. android fans like me have always been bashing ios for lack of features but even ios users can bash the living hell out of wp7. this is the article i've been waiting for a long time.(when i was a hd7 user)
53. akbar (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
The matter of fact is that all new OS systems are more "smart" than "phones". I just migrated from Symbian to Android and I am missing quiet a lot of phone features. I could send an sms, make a call, check the call log history much faster in the Symbian.
I haven't checked all the apps available in the store which might help me there, but as a pure phone functionality I prefer Symbian. Unfortunately I am not using the phone only for calling, so I have to change it for the "future" of mobile OSes ;)
57. Awaragardiyan (Posts: 39; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Check this before trolling :
59. ron1niro (Posts: 54; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
This is an outright show of bias. Reasons why you shouldn't buy wp7? Seriously? Some of those reasons are stupid, some based on rumour, others are not even true. Many people who used nokia products before windows phone are having a hard time accepting the fact that Nokia has chosen this path and are always trying to point out what is wrong with this platform. Come on, get over it, symbian is not coming back, meego, maybe, but even if it doesn't come back, it is what it is. Don't like it, don't buy it, but i'm sure that Nokia or Windows phone are going to be here for a long time, you can console yourself and say nobody likes windows phone but i'm sure the consumer reviews are not lying.
60. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
I can make a million not to buy and android ,plus half of then are false ,and dont worry wp8 will bring at least 500 more new features to cover all of those crap reason .
70. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Kid, i dare you to make a list of FIVE reasons what Android lacks compared to your WP.
Please, make my day..
164. Pdubb (Posts: 237; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
1) No centralized location for people(contacts) notifications
2) No upgrade to ICS- not for most phones
3) Inconsistent UX from one phone to next(sense-motoblur..etc.
4) Device drivers hard to find( Google said go to Samsung- samsung said go to Google)
5) No flash support
6) No deep social networking integration(google+ does not count)
That is just 6 with my experience with Android. I want to move from Android so bad. When my contract is up!!! Done and done.
183. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
1) tons of apps on google play, or OEM solutions such as timescape widget
b)BS, you can buy tons of ICS running phones now
3) you can tweak any of those UI to your likings, and besides, you can always root or BUY A NEXUS
4) yeah, compared to what?
6) oh my, that was lame..can't believe what you're saying!
which phone do you use?
201. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 764; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
1) WP Store is getting 300 new Apps daily and they're not cramped with apps
2)you root it because you don't like the way it is
3)Same thing again
4) complicated OS
5) o low end phones running android lag as hell the moment you start using memory
79. AndroidShiz (Posts: 145; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
I'd love to hear a couple. And could they be about the "real Android" meaning the Galaxy Nexus, GSM version, not the other skinned Androids that have issues not controlled by Google. Cause I've never had a better phone experience than this phone, and I've had about 38 off all kinds, (high end Androids, Windows, Black Berry, Symbian, ios, etc) in the last 5yrs. I'm a phone junky and this is the first time I've had a phone that I could actually see myself keeping for awhile, at least until 5.0. So do tell.
144. steelicon (Posts: 306; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
LOL yeah! KMA WP7.5! I'd love to see your list. And, BTW, as long as the hardware is present, you can "hack" into Android all the lacking features. And there's also the dev community and CM9 community. Just like what they did to MeeGo / Symbian. OSS rocks!
62. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
I agree with a couple of these, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Windows Phone and I don't regret it.
73. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
same here! i tolly agree with that at first coming from a gingerbread its hard to use and get use to the idea of simplicity i oftenly complain about the lack of other functionality until i got use to it and now i often use my wp7 than my sensation no regret at all..
63. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
@krapans: is it really true that WP browser
doesn't have back/forward page and text reflow.
it always bugged me how could reviewers praise the browsing experience if this is indeed true.
those are flaws that would make browser UNUSABLE if you ask me!
also, I'll add a few more MAJOR flaws!
1) no t-9 in default keyboard
2) no option for using third party keyboard!
3) no folders
4) no side-pull tray on homescreens! (basically you're forced to scroll up and down to reach an app or tile)
I loathe WP for treating users like kids!
Yeah it's fast and reliable and simple and intuitive and fancy looking (that's why light, average users are loving it)...but it's in no way a true, flexible, smart OS!
It's just a flashy looking feature phone interface that works without a hitch.
64. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
So basically Phonearena is saying that we should not buy windows phones, how biased is that. I'm not a fanboy but this is really something that doesn't look good for a website that is ''supposely unbiased''. I can clearly see that Phonearena has something against either Nokia or Microsoft. This list was posted by a WP7/Elop hater so this should not be re-posted on other websites like this one, everybody knows what the limitions of the OS are.
Edit: you beloved iphone had more than this limitions but still it keeps selling well, because it is not about specs it's about the experience.
67. Victor.H (Posts: 381; Member since: 27 May 2011)
So basically PhoneArena is saying that you should know about the missing features before you decide whether to buy Windows Phone now, or when it hits WP8 as chances are you won't be able to upgrade.
101. krapanss (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I think what we are trying to say to PhoneArena is that you shouln't put out negative article only about one OS. If you wanna do it do it in a right whay and make comparison between the all popular OS's.
168. jimjam (Posts: 228; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
If you were trying to educate the masses you'd also list the 101 reasons why you would buy wp7 to make it balanced. Did a WP7 handset fall on your head?