Having complaints about the Z10's battery life? BlackBerry can't do anything about it
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2013, 06:53 posted on
It appears that we haven't been the only ones to find the BlackBerry Z10 lacking as far as battery life goes. Other users have also complained of poor battery life, but unfortunately, it seems that there's nothing that can be done about this...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
This speaks poorly oh their testing processes. How did they not see it coming ?
19. boosook (Posts: 1429; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
they could do like others do (Nokia for example...): promise better battery life in the next update and then release an update that changes nothing...
33. muhsen (Posts: 280; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
excuse me, i do have a lumia 920 and the pr1.1 update did improve its battery performance.i didn't have lumia 800 but many reports that indeed its first update improved its battery performance.and all nokias i had can manage a day with a single charge(although its not the best but its average so its sufficiently good) .all u want is obviously some trolling and fanboy wars.what brought nokia to the subject in the first place??!
btw lumia 920(as an example for a nokia) has a good to average battery life even b4 pr1.1, just check its gsmarena battery test(which was b4 pr1.1, ) and u will know what i mean.
if u don't know about something ,don't comment about it
37. sonyisdead (banned) (Posts: 30; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
"the pr1.1 update did improve its battery performance"
nah all wp8 phones have terrible battery life. update didn't do anything
44. freebee269 (Posts: 535; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
my lumia 920 before portico had good battery life, after portico still good life. i can go a whole day of using it at work and get through the day without charging it. my galaxy s3 on the other hand doing the same thing needs to be charged one time during the day. not to 100% but it does need some kind of charge to make it to the night.
54. slaggyb (Posts: 209; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Iphonearena here you go again...http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/blackberry-z10-vs-iphone-5-hardware-comparison/
2. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 985; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Oh dear, that is the last thing BB need, with phones like iPhone5, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note2, Motorola RAZR MAXX etc... Managing impressive battery life with their large batteries and excellent power management, this is one area BB cannot afford to screw up. I hope it's not a widespread issue.
21. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Oh please S3 and IPHONE 5 does not have excelllent battery life! My friends keeps telling me how his S3 dies in the middle of the day and he has to charge it 2 times a day
26. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Battery life on the Galaxy S3 is very good that's for sure. Your friend has something else wrong with his devices that's application related or network related.
42. drdaly (Posts: 63; Member since: 09 Nov 2012)
I did sell my S3 bec. Of the battery life that don't get me through the day and I'm an average user thats fact
46. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I get 2 days and sometimes 3 days on standby before the JB update. After the JB update I get 2 days.
Looks like we have different facts....
62. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 413; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
I can just barely squeeze through a day on my Galaxy S3, but then again I am a fairly heavy user. My sister has the same one, and only charges hers about every 3 days because she barely uses it.
48. Luuthian (Posts: 240; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
The iPhone 5 has some of the most impressive battery life around when it's screen is on, and It can surf the web a hell of a lot longer than any AMOLED device can. Many sites have backed that up with evidence. The S3 is also one of the best Android handsets out there for battery life.
One friend who has a problem he knows nothing about does not constittute proof. Maybe you should send him over ot the XDA forums to ask about improving his battery life.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
I love to see those bb fan rage hehehe :)
4. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
we must have sympathy toward them ;)
22. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Nothing to rage about cuz this article sounds like a huge pile of s**t ;)
56. slaggyb (Posts: 209; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Indeed a huge pile of crap....outright bb bashers. Am so done with iphonearena, Engadget ahem theverge you all the same bunch of so called techies drowning in apple and samsung juices....folks interested in the Z10 please grab a cup of coffee and take time to read the link below ....this is coming from a strictly iphone only site...http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/blackberry-z10-vs-iphone-5-hardware-comparison/
5. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
i see nobody has mentioned the idea of buying a second battery? they cant cost that much. Z10 owners should feel privaliged that they can acturlly remove and replace their battery. Many other high end smart phones dont have this option
6. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Agreed. And third party batteries will come soon with large capacities.
20. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Add that cost to the device's cost and it will stop making sense
They should have given a decent battery by default that would last a full day with good 3G use. Above that if someone wants they can buy another battery
29. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
some how i dont think it would be a problem if the iphones battery "wasnt enough" and apple forced them to buy another one........even though the iphone is sky high in price from the start, some how i dont think apple fans would mind buyin another
49. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
few ppl will fret over additional costs that may have been associated with the iPhone
30. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
my Gnex barely lasts a day on 3G. hence why i have brought a battery with double capacity. there probaly isnt a double capacity battery for the Z10 yet but give a few months and there should be. Youve just gotta be patient
60. bb.dea.ttthhh (Posts: 3; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
If BB using Android this won't happened. BB would be big.
but now.... BB is dead.
8. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
"We are trying to be as competitive as we can on the battery. I think we are pretty good."
You can hear the BS flying in the air haha. Fail.
23. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
This article is a fail! Just like iphone 5 and S3 is a fail on battery life haha loser!
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3616; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
While a software solution cannot be made...a hardware replacement can be done!
Why not make a battery of the same size and model that can hold more juice???
27. troutsy (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
The battery development is way behind because the rockets that propel the mining crews to Pandora to mine Unobtainium are falling short.
36. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3616; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Too bad. They should've colonized the blue people...
RIM would've been known as blueberry by now.
28. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
not possible without increasing the price a lot. while new battery technology IS on the horizon, its not cost effective for mass market
11. MC1123 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
actually it's only suck if it's on LTE but on 3G I think it's ok.. since it promises 10hrs of battery life
12. khmer (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Poor battery designed and low capacity, anyway overall quality for BB10 phone is very poor customers satisfaction even though I never touch it but I can tell. Only crazy people will buy BB10. BB10 is falling off the RIM.
13. bragzter (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
They should have stuck a larger capacity battery in there in the first place. But like was mentioned in a previous post, users can just buy a larger one when they become available.
14. x78_nothing (Posts: 53; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
genuine battery charger bundle for 55$ on e-bay, still no third party.
15. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..or buy a extended battery?
I'm sure soon there will be plenty of those on offer
16. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Just saw the battery size. They shoulda just stuck a bigger battery in the phone....
Its funny tho cuz QNX is supposed to be so effecient. Seems for most modern OS's....it might need a bigger battery.
If it has a removable battery.....it can be fixed.
17. INF1N1TY (banned) (Posts: 14; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Battery life is nearly more important than the software itself.
59. Rayvelynn (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Exactly what good is the phone if you are constantly losing power, lol
18. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
This is the biggest BS article i have read...Wow! That sounds nothing like BB
24. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
"In short, if you're unsatisfied by the battery of the BB Z10, you'll either have to put up with it, or try to get rid of it and buy another device."
Come on ray if It was my first time on phone arena i would put your article writing skills in question...............Isnt that why the battery is REMOVABLE??
If the battery isnt good enough im pretty sure one could go on ebay and find A BIGGER ONE......with more capacity........I highly doubt they would have to get rid of the device because of this minor reason
32. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Bottom line folks we welcome Blackberry into the BIG BOYS CLUB. This has been a MAJOR PROBLEM for android since 2009/2010 nothing new at all. Matter of fact battery life hasn't started getting better till the beginning of 2012 as far as some android devices. When I purchased my Htc Evo 4g in June 2010 i just purchased a second battery and carried it every day along with my charger. The Htc Evo 4g was the Grandaddy of all 4g/Lte devices the device that started it all fast forward to today. If it has to be then it has to be carry another battery.
34. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
or maybe Heins was a bit caught in the moment of this fast paced game and wasnt able to properly "analyze" the battery situation.......Hence the reason why they made it REMOVABLE?
35. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
I had high hopes for BB to survive with BB10. But if this is how they are going support their devices....I don't know if I should hold onto that hope.
40. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Your an idot and sound stupid...This is first gen of BB 10
39. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Look at it this way. The Z10's screen is 18% larger than the iphone 5. It's battery has 26% more mAh. So if the iphone 5 lasts you either all day or almost all day, the Z10 should be just fine, assuming same usage, or even provide increasing returns due to the efficient coding.
41. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Don't forget the z10 runs applications live in the background. The iphone does not to save battery life.
45. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well, we have our first major BB10 issue. That took what, a week?
I won't say that Blackberry can't survive despite this issue, especially if people can still get their phones through a day. Remember how awful LTE phones were at first?
However, it is ironic because earlier Blackberries usually kicked the crap out of iPhones and Android models in battery life. Now we have a complete reversal.
47. b1acktiger (Posts: 223; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Expected a "Kiss Ass" Phone from BlackBerry. Sadly, BlackBerry kicked our Ass !
50. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
No issues fix it in BB Z10S by providing a larger battery ... :D
51. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Id say given that unlike Iphone or Android, the OS offers true multitasking capabilities, I'd say the battery life is actually not bad. Its at least comparable to some android flagships.
52. bigdawg23 (Posts: 446; Member since: 25 May 2011)
Welcome to the world of better hardware. Poor battery life is common in all smart phones. I know people with iPhone 5, GS 3 and GN2 will claim 1-2 battery life. However they so not use the phone very much. My Note one was 6 hours tops with LTE doing emails and calls. Y iPhone 5 is 7-8 hours. BB owners best not expect the days of Curve battery life.
53. onethreealpha (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
The ignorance and stupidity of this place never ceases to amaze me.
Clearly Ray S has a major hate on for anything BB, perhaps his sponsor has been giving him the CBS "Dish" treatment.
Of course he could have also suggested the alternative of peeling off the back cover and SWAPPING OUT THE BATTERY FOR A SPARE. Try doing that on the majority of high end smartphones these days, especially the highly coveted iphone 5