Happy Fourth Birthday, Android
0. phoneArena posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:31
On this date in 2008, Android 1.0 was released and the Android Developers Blog celebrates by posting the original announcement; the Android 1.0 SDK was the beginning of the journey to the latest and greatest Android 4.1.1 build...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
65. TROLL (limited) 3 days ago posted on 23 Sep 2012, 20:15 9
We thanks Android for the totall freedom, unlike other OSes.
2. Droid_X_Doug posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:36 5
Love the quote from IDC about Android's future footprint. I can't remember when any of these 'consultants' have got a prediction correct. It amazes me the amount of coin that clients pay for the 'forecasts' that IDC and company produce.
3. YasasT posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:39 15
happy bday android!! you are definitely the most feature rich mobile platform ever. period.
4. SGSatlantis posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:42 13
Happy Birthday and congrats to everyone involved in this project! Looking forward to the future.
6. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:52 7
google should make all apps for free for the birth day
7. GoBears posted on 23 Sep 2012, 14:57 20
Happy Birthday Android! Thanks for giving us the choices that you do!
10. shy2papa posted on 23 Sep 2012, 15:21 15
Happy birthday to the most powerful OS of all time, Android we love you more and more.
11. Nadr1212 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 15:41 2
I thought android os was invented before then?!? But who cares, right? Anyways... HAPPY B-day ANDroid!!!!! We
12. som posted on 23 Sep 2012, 15:43 0
Android is on the right track but needs a quick update to all Android devices like iOS.
39. PapaSmurf posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:42 8
I knew I was going to find someone like you here.
Its cool that Apple updates their phones on a timely manner. But guess what? The updates don't mean s**t if the user can't use any of the features that they're suppose to use. iOS 6 + 3GS = Brick. Useless.
Have fun navigating on that half assed Map app on that 4S and 5 only.
73. rusticguy posted on 23 Sep 2012, 21:27 2
if it ain't broke don't upgrade is what is a common adage. I am still running XP and i don't feel crippled in any manner ... If it's a critical bug or a security update then yes else updates for me really don't matter.
I did not find anything visibly better (at micro level it could be) after upgradinmg Sony Xperia P from GB to ICS except for the stanbdby batter life.
13. ilia1986 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 15:47 4
Happy birthday to consumer choice and freedom in the mobile consumer electronics market!!
Freedom is anything but free these days.
17. Mozarrt posted on 23 Sep 2012, 16:10 0
Hopefully you will go the way of the Dodo soon.
24. tedkord posted on 23 Sep 2012, 16:50 0
Not likely, with 68% worldwide market share, and growing. Every second of every day, 15 new Android devices are activated.
30. Mozarrt posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:13 1
Symbian used to be top dog, look at them now, this could be the reality for Android.
I can actually see more manufacturers trying a new OS because of the monopoly (on profit) by Samsung. LG and Sony keep on trying and they are failing year after year. HTC is seeing Windows Phone 8 as an alternative. I think this golden age of Android is soon to be at an end.
32. tedkord posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:20 0
I didn't say not possible. I said not likely, especially in the near term.
33. Mozarrt posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:25 0
I agree with you on this. I do believe Android's share on the short term on tablets will decline rapidly with the introduction of Windows 8 RT.
They were never really strong anyway, only an Android Fake (Amazon) seems to have succes in the tablet market.
68. VJo003 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 21:13 1
Don't know what ur smoking... But I would like to have some of that tonite....
35. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:31 1
What about apple? They control the hardware and software of their products, yet their latest creation is a very sub-par experience.
I love Android obviously, but if something comes along that can blow the doors off of it...then I want to know about it.
38. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:41 0
We call this marketing. The reason Samsung has done so well is because they aren't afraid to spend a few dollars to let the world know that their products exist.
28. TROLL (limited) 3 days ago posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:03 0
And you'r iOs will take another 4 years to become mature.
74. rusticguy posted on 23 Sep 2012, 21:30 0
iOS will be in a perpetual mode of chasing it's own shadow forever ... that's the main reason why they are on a suing spree :)
42. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:53 0
Hopefully? Why? Got something against innovation? Like to be led do you?
23. Luuthian posted on 23 Sep 2012, 16:48 3
How about a new Nexus announcement hmm?
Actually, come to think of it, there have been zero rumors surrounding a Nexus device this year. Yeah we got a potential Galaxy nexus 2 blurb and something about Sony or LG joining in, but aside from that?... Nothing. We had TONS of iphone 5 stuff and plenty of Galaxy Nexus leaks and news. What the heck is going on this year? Are they passing this year by?
41. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:51 0
Guess you missed the news that the next Nexus device might come from multiple OEM's next time around.
43. PhoneArenaUser posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:54 1
No he don't.
"...Galaxy nexus 2 blurb and something about Sony or LG joining in..."
46. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:27 0
Fair enough. Guess I was focused on his 'zero rumors this year' comment that he included in his contradiction.
59. Berzerk000 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:53 1
I'm scared about the fact that there may NOT be a Nexus this year... Maybe Google is just really keeping it under wraps, unlike a lot of people whose entire spec count gets released to the public 5 months before the announcement.
63. TROLL (limited) 3 days ago posted on 23 Sep 2012, 20:07 0
I'm looking forward to it, but for sure it will be let down by specs! Hope, wish it's from SONY.....!
78. Berzerk000 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 22:10 0
How would it be let down by specs? The Nexus has always set the standard for that generation of high-end Androids. The only thing better than the Galaxy Nexus that was out was the GS2, and it wasn't too big of a gap.
26. Jphones posted on 23 Sep 2012, 16:54 3
It's more than a happy birthday. Android is celebrating kicking some pear cores in unit sells
34. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:25 6
Look where Android is now after 4 years, and look where iphone is after 6 or 7 years. Google obviously cares more about what their customers are getting compared to apple.
Have a wonderful 4th birthday Android.
44. archangel9 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:55 4
Thank you Android for letting us make choices not by force like iOS and for being YOU,Happy birthday
55. Android4u posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:36 2
It's not by force bro. I am pretty sure people know by now that both OS are way different. Nobody forces someone to buy a phone, the consumer decides what he/she wants.
45. InspectorGadget80 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:04 1
I hope the next junk food update will called PEANUT BUTTER :)
47. joey_sfb posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:49 1
Ice Cream Sandwich
54. InspectorGadget80 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:35 0
remember their nuext project is project butter
57. Android4u posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:41 3
Dude seriously? Project butter is not a OS . Its in jellybean which helps android be more fluid etc...
64. TROLL (limited) 3 days ago posted on 23 Sep 2012, 20:11 0
Are we not all awaiting for the JB4.1.2, this should be twice the fluidity of 4.1..... ?
82. tedkord posted on 24 Sep 2012, 01:43 1
No, Project Butter was the codename for the triple buffering and other optimizations to ensure continued smoothness, and was a part of Jelly Bean. It's not next, it's already in there.
56. Android4u posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:38 1
I don't know about you, but when I was in kindergarten I learned that K came after J lol Dumbass
49. PhoneArenaUser posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:53 0
Rumors that the next code name will be Hot Chocolate.
60. networkdood posted on 23 Sep 2012, 19:55 0
H was already used...thus 'K' would be next - Krispy Kreme?
48. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:50 1
happy birthday android! your UI is the best! the skinned UI is terrible! but still awesome to have you here! :P
50. lyndon420 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:54 1
Maybe in 2018...lol. Maybe the inspector converted to ios6 and wound up marooned on an alien world for 6 years due to their 'it just work's mapping 'solution'.