x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.

Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1

Posted: , by Brian K.

Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1
T-Mobile and HTC have finally brought Android to the masses with the G1. The dream device features a 3 megapixel camera, full QWERTY and a large 3.2" touchscreen, but the software is the real story here. The long-anticipated Android is a phone lovers dream; a true open source OS with all the potential in the world and the backing of the most important company on the web. The G1 launched with some curious omissions, Exchange support, stereo Bluetooth and video recording jump immediately to mind, but the beauty of the open OS is that those features can be added by any developer with a few minutes to spare. We'll be taking a full dive into not only the G1, but the Android world so keep an eye out for our full review soon!

T-Mobile G1 Specifications

Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1
Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1

Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1

Hands-on with the T-Mobile G1
HTC Touch Diamond next to T-Mobile G1

HTC Touch Diamond next to T-Mobile G1

Well? So where is the hands on? I didn't expect a full fleged review or even a preview, but... Is it just me or isn't there anything new here?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:57

2. jun64 (unregistered)

you are right, they wrote nothing worth reading, come on its just basic information

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:26

3. fooled me (unregistered)

phonearena team, you fooled me. I guess just cuz the dude's hands are on the phone this, infact, is considered "hands-on". i checked out the phone this weekend, seems pretty good and the touchscreen is responsive, too bad tmobile's 3g coverage sux.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 15:09

I used to think the guys at Google were fantastic - then I see this phone. The OS may or may not be the next greatest thing, but I just can't get past that fugly phone. What were they thinking??? They'd be much better served to push Android into something like an Omnia or iPhone with the MFGs approval.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 15:25

The phone is from HTC, if you want to blame anyone, blame HTC. Besides, the phone's not completely horrendous. I prefer something more new, compared to another iPhone clone with just a touch screen and a couple of buttons. The last thing I want to see right now is another pretentious touch screen only phone. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad, but I guess it's a typical human response to reject anything that's different. For anyone who hasn't tried the phone out yet though, you should before you make your conclusions about the phone. The pictures are different from what the phone is in real life. But anyway, not to nitpick Phone Arena, but aren't you a week late on bringing us the news? Or are you guys from Europe? I'll just assume you are.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 16:50

youre right the phone is made by htc, but didnt google CHOOSE this phone to be the first one to support android, thus making it googles fault?

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 07:12

I don't think the guys at HTC actually designed this phone. As in the case of Sony's X1, HTC produces a device that has been designed by the company that ordered it (Google). If you look at HTC's own diamond or touch hd phones you'lll see a completely different approach.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 19:02

7. ugly as tmobile coverage (unregistered)

this phone is butt, the phone looks huge is whacked looking and the OS is not impressive at all. why is anyone raving about this ugly looking non-original phone? it is not a smart phone, it has a customizable menu, but shit I customize all my menus and I use crippled vzw phones. nothing really impressive here unless your an uber geek i guess. and why in the world would google chose tmobile to launch, that killed that phone right away. retarded as this article.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 00:06

8. Enlightened Teen (unregistered)

In real life the phone is actually a lot smaller.The only bad part is really that the keyboard is TERRIBLE. The keys give almost no feedback so it's actually pretty hard to type on this phone.That's odd because the Touch Pro has a great keyboard and so do most HTC phones.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 01:13

9. back2u (unregistered)

Will I be wrong to say that this is planet Earth and that we ar humans with the wright to choose what is best for our individual needs. Many people will speak bad about this ph, 1) because it was not the first to come out, 2) the market in which it was introduced, 3) the tech under which it operates. But overall many people like this ph for many reasons. Because the ph it's not from APPLE don't mean the ph is not good. Great manufactors like RIM, HTC, SONY ERICSSON, PALM and I MATE will never make the same ph as the other, they have to make it their own. Stepping out. Not all, will like the plans or financially not able to afford others. But we are given a choise on every ph out there. I will never expect my grandmother to buy this ph, but for my father, YES. As an employer, Yes it works. We will move on like we did from the walkman the MP3

posted on 02 Nov 2008, 03:49

you wrote all that and ur abreviating ''phone''?

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 19:30

too bad it is on TMobile

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 23:45

I think it's butt ugly

posted on 29 Oct 2008, 10:20

I think your face is butt ugly

posted on 30 Oct 2008, 15:10