x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.

Hands-on with BlackBerry Storm

0. phoneArena 20 Nov 2008, 01:13 posted on

The eye of the Storm is almost upon us and we are bracing for its impact! The first BlackBerry with a touch screen packs plenty of options in a well looking body...

i was really hoping for at least an its an amazing phone or it wasnt what we expected. guess i do gotta go try it out in the store

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 10:23

?????????huh??????????

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 13:57

He forgot to use quotation marks. He was hoping he would get more of a definitive "yay" or "nay".

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 22:15

if they said yay, you guys would start bragging and all that crap (like some are already doing even before the release of the phone) but if they say may, iPhone users (like me) will be happy but Verizon people will start getting angry and say stuff like "apple pays phonearena" or "we should call this site iphonearena

posted on 21 Nov 2008, 12:18

This phone is gonna suck. Who wants to have to literally press in the screen every single letter on a touchscreen phone. That's retarded. I've read reviews where people say their thumbs hurt by the end of the day due to all the physicaly pushing needed. I'll stick with my iPhone that requires the most subtle touch to generate a response and can easily keep up with my speedy thumbs with little to no effort.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 02:11

2. Jay Chavez (unregistered)

Thank (my) Verizon for bringing out this phone. Verizon users at least know that they will have a very good signal when using this phone. Unlike AT&T's iPhone 3G weak disappointing signal (my coworkers get angry when they lose their bars) this BlackBerry will be very reliable. AT&T more bars in more places my ass!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 03:54

I looked around on ATT's website and their "more bars" claim is based on service after the merger went through, so their basically saying they have more bars now because they're AT&T not actually better service...its stupid. I know from having Verizon that ATT doesn't have more bars, if they did then why are ATT customers asking to borrow my phone in certain areas...hmm maybe cuz VZW is the one with more bars!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 08:14

Verizon & Sprint Roam where I live & ATT has 4 bars, I came from T-Mobile. You clowns always talk about who has the best coverage but you don't travel, because of this...none of you know $4!+ ! I travelled with Verizon, T-Mobile & ATT ... I had the best experience with ATT. Does that make it better...no. I'm pretty sure that if I tried, I can find some place where ATT doesn't work. All of you know that all the carriers work very well in all the major markets. Bottom line, find what works best in your area & where you travel. ATT was it for me & I also like having a GSM phone so that I can change phones @ will.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 08:27

I've worked for At&t and I've worked for Verizon Wireless. I now work in an architecture firm and travel throughout the world so I'm looking forward to this phone. Having experience in tech support with both companies, I can tell you this: VZW does have more bars in more places than At&t. That's all I ever did for At&t. Handle complaints about dropped calls and bad reception. But it's no fault of either company. It's the nature of the beast. The FCC says that only so many licenses can be sold for any particular market depending on population so if there's no license available, then either company could be devoid of having coverage due to government regulations. If you look on a map, you will see that VZW has a MUCH larger 3G network than At&t does. I think that's VZW's edge... not to mention the number of roaming agreements they have to provide service where they don't have a license to build a tower themselves... it's more impressive than At&t's network.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 08:41

verizion wireless has no roaming onour network period! our phones may say roaming on the device,however you are not being charged for it.time to step up to the most reliable nationwide network!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:01

That is incorrect.. If you travel any distance in the US(ei across a few state borders) you will see verizon typically has a better coverage. ATT is very good in populated areas but try traveling out west through the plain states... att is aweful while verizon coverage almost never drops..

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 10:03

Incorrect my ass! How can you say that...again I've expressed my, personal experience. I don't live out West in the Plain States so I don't know what's happening there. I have traveled to LA, San Diego, Victorville & Vegas with no issues. I've also been on the Auto Train fro VA. to FL. 3 times...they all lost signal but ATT gave me signal the most for the trip. Sprint & Verizon aren't options for me because the just don't work in my house & a 1/3 of a mile from my house. It goes back to what I've stated earlier....choose what works for you in your area & where you travel. P.S.: All carriers get calls about dropped calls but T-Mobile has been bold enough to tell me directly they don't have to provide service but i do have to pay my bill. At that point I took my 4 lines to ATT where they paid my disconnect fees!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 11:24

You're very full of it, I've come to that realization... yelp definitely full of it.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 11:31

they are MOBILE phones....not land lines.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 16:46

I'll guarantee you are lying now. No company is going to pay your ETF with another company. Period. Especially not when they have a policy that says you can terminate service within 30 days and THEY won't charge you an ETF.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 16:58

its also based on world wide coverage. if you dont care about that than oh well. its obviouse you dont travel abroad. still millions do. theres a reason att is the largest carrier. if it were truly that horrible everyone woul get up and go elsewhere.yes they would pay the cancellation fee cuz in a couple of months of billing would amount to the same as cancellation, and no verizon is not the largest ,yet.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 19:42

LOL... the only reason at&t is the largest is becuase of the original merger of cingular and at&t like 6 years ago... VZW was the largest before then, after the merger at&t had something rediculous like 20 million more customers than vzw... VZW has been gradually closing the gap ever since, now at&t is only like 2 million larger, and when vzw finally acquires alltel when the fcc stops crying about it. vz will have 8 million more than at&t and they will never be able to close that gap. At&t has only received more customers than vzw 2 times in 8 years. The first quarter of the iPhone 2g , second frist quart of iPhone 3g. So all the shee-ple that ran and bought a "pretty" phone with horrible reception grew their service. Toot the AT&T horn now numb nuts.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 20:54

yeah from southbell wireless & sbc wireless.Att spawned verizon and every other carrier in this country, thanks to the government. recognize your true DADDY. with out american telephone and telegraph, there is no verizon. Heres the break down of verizon birth. Bell atlantic and n.y.n.e.x. merge in 95and the communications come from (att subsidary)advance mobile phone service wich was created by your daddy Att in 78. first attempt at wireless service. meanwhile airtouch and vodaphone merged with each other including primeco co. who then joined bell atlantic thus creating verizon in99 and then official in 2000.thats when you were the biggest for only 4 years. till att reastablished with cingular. who has 4.9 million more currently. To top it off verizon only owns 55% while Uk based vodaphone owns 45% of verizon. Our friends acrross the pond practily own half. Aint that something

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 22:06

Wow. That is something. And you just schooled all of these Verizon fans. I didn't even know half of the things you said. Shows that people need to get their facts straight before opening their mouths. And come to think of it, I remember one of my friends saying that her mom has had the same number for many years and her mom says that the company changed so many times before it finally became the today's Verizon.

posted on 21 Nov 2008, 08:57

omg part of me wants to come back and show you how att was actually a branch off of the that rebranded again and again until being bought back by the oringinal company only to be bought out by cingular which rebranded but i really dont think i have enough desire..you wrong partially... mostly with how you think att came about... the verizon stuff is right except vodafone owns 45 percent stake in verizon wireless not verizon... i just dont care enough to really go through all of the details and get the exact info and links..... 75 your right...

posted on 21 Nov 2008, 11:33

I've traveled for work with Alltel, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and Nextel (when they were separate). It all depends where you travel, Alltel currently has the best coverage where I travel, followed by Verizon, then AT&T and Sprint sucks. I don't have coverage with Verizon at my house and that's why I changed to Alltel. I still currently have Alltel and Verzion, because AT&T had horrible coverage where I travel. When I lived in Texas AT&T did a lot better then Verizon though.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 02:38

RIM-paid or genuine thought?

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 07:08

Very good question...

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 07:50

Indeed, the article mentioned a unlock code that could be provided after 60 days for the sim card. I have been playing around with it and I was suprised to see It showed I had reception from at&t and tmobile, does this mean that you would be able to roam on gsm in the U.S.??????

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 19:43

technically... yes... officially no

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 08:35

verizon sucks...alread reports of the buttons falling off the storm....and no wifi.....sad part is that u guy will look past the bad stuff just to force yourself to lik ethis crappy phone....u can c the circuit boars under the screen whenits pressed down...cheap design.......VZ fanboys are gonna b dissapointed tommorowm

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 08:48

Your supposed opinion is belied by your grammer and tone.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:05

LMAO who would be reporting buttons failure when there is only one button and no one has one except for store demos which have been reported as working flawlessly? sounds like another hater who cant get this bb so he is going to bash it. reports about a phone that hasnt been released is a PRETTY LAME attack, come with something more concrete. See the circuit boards LMFAO....hilarious attempt at trying to be intellectual. NO WO FO??? with 83% coverage of the US in 3g who needs to drive to a wifi spot to get internet, especially when your paying for it.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:09

Your full of crap. Ive played with both preproduction and current productions units and none of what you said it true. Well except for the lack of WiFi of coarse. What buttons would be falling off the storm? The four buttons it has at the bottom of the screen are very solid. You cant see the circuits and if you knew anything about electronics or had even ever taken a touch display apart you would understand why the circuit are not visible. You are an idiot who clearly just wants to bash a device before it launches in hopes of maybe having a few of your friend still think your cool. Get off your moms couch and get a life. Perhaps an education or at least some general knowledge would be beneficial next time before you post. Until then go back to playing halo and drinking mountain dew.....

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 13:14

go to endgadget and read the review...dweeb!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 13:15

go to endgadget and read the review

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 15:07

37. vzfanboydweebs (unregistered)

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 16:42

you spelled grammar wrong.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 18:42

55. ME (unregistered)

no its spelled GRAMMOR

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 19:45

I got to play with one a few days ago and was pretty disappointed, laggy..the accelerometer sucked and it kept freezing up, but the launch versions came in today and it was MUCH better, all the problems I had encountered seemed to be corrected. I'm sure its not perfect but def glad they pushed it back to fix those things.

posted on 21 Nov 2008, 01:35

lol omg..

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:13

The article mentioned a unlock code that could be provided after 60 days for the sim card. I have been playing around with it and I was suprised to see It showed I had reception from at&t and tmobile, does this mean that you would be able to roam on gsm in the U.S.??????

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:14

no it uses over seas GSM signal, but here in the US it is locked down to work only with CDMA .

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 09:20

So when they said "Unlock" it are they reffering to the capability to work outside the U.S.?? You have to wait 2 months to go global. I dont believe that. As I said, If you go to the network options you can see AT&T coverage and Tmobile, of course they are locked, but that is my question. Will unlocking the sim card allow you to roam on gsm in the U.S.?? Im looking for someone whos actually used one, not just from what they read on phonearena.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 10:32

according to all my trainings i honestly believe it means before it can be unlocked for us gsm usage... Considering it has a one month worry free promotion(as do all verizons phones) two months would put it outside the policy and you would be forced to pay a cancelation. It would force someone to try and use verizon service if they wanted the phone and not just buy it and use it on say att

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 10:42

Sweet, that was what I was looking for. So this phone can use both GSM and CDMA in the us?? That is awesome and automatically makes this the best phone for getting coverage.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 11:08

I have one and I SAID NO

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 11:36

Well I guess that settles it then, since you know EVERY aspect of the device and obviously know more than RIM rep's. Did you read the article? It said after TWO MONTHS it would be unlocked. Of course you cant use it now. I have one and I SAY YES!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 10:37

So here is the down and dirty on the device. The SurePress is crazy but after like 5 you love it. The screen is touch sensitive and press sensitive, let me explain. When you glide over the screen with your finger the screen lights the selected area blue pressing down causes the screen to actually click down. this achieves thee TOUCH CLICK that everyone kept hearing about. now the cool part is that when you are doing something on the web you dont want to zoom in and out all the time just to select a hyperlink with it having the dual reaction to either one type of touch or both you can select then click and it is so much more acurate than the LG Dare, Instinct, Omnia...take your pick. Blackberry has really outdone themselves. Now, as for the "exposed circuitboard" ANY PHONE THAT DIDNT HAVE A SOLID LAYER ON THE KEYPAD...U GUESSED IT...HAD AN EXPOSED CIRCUIT BOARD. this wasnt a problem when i was using it the area is minimal and doesnt seem like it will be a burden at all. The 3.2 MP camera is awesome of course and works will in either pic or vid mode. plus another thing BB did is seperate the SMS and MMS from the email and PIN messages. Now the cool thing about the phone is i played Iron Man and Babylon A.D. both in a converted format using Media Manager (which comes with the phone along with the SIM and 8GB Memory Card) AMAZING SOUND AND PICTURE QUALITY it absolutely nailed the bit rate for both. I do not work for BB or own one YET =] I was for the longest time just a techie and regular VZW user then landed a job there so I gotta say to all the "haters" do like the other guy said find what works for you with what you do and knock off all the drama and immaturity because i will bet money that the effin' CEO's probably golf together or some crap like that and dont care who's "got more bars" as long as wireless is successful and they stay paid.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 12:43

27. vzw fanman (unregistered)

i think the storm will be a very successfull phone. it looks wicked sweet!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 13:09

28. jrcrow (unregistered)

for the commentator who worked for ATT and VZW..umm..I think u forgot Sprint bud!..compare 3g coverage of VZW n Sprint..same coverage..cheaper price..3g is 3g is 3g is 3g..for bout $20-$30 less a month..family's have best plans!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 14:47

34. vzw fanman (unregistered)

are you joking me dude! compare sprint's northeast coverage to verizon and verizon wins by a landslide!!!

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 16:22

all verizons data is rented from sprint. #28 is right about 3g coverage.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 16:34

42. vzw fanman (unregistered)

i dont understand. if sprint has no voice coverage how can they have 3g coverage? verizon has much more voice coverage than sprint in ny, so how can verizon rent it from sprint?

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 19:57

renting from sprint? Didnt they just sell off like $600 million in towers because of financial troubles just to turn right around and rent them back??

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 20:18

your data services is totally diffrent from voice. HELLO thats why 3g coverage is not the same as voice look at a coverage map.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 20:19

it was only 1,260 to be exact.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 13:22

31. TequilaMokingbird (unregistered)

This will be successful mainly because it's the closest thing to an iPhone that Vz will likely get for a long time. I know a ton of people who really secrectly want an iPhone, but not at the expense of having to bail on Vz for ATT. They'll buy the Storm and tell their friends, 'oh yeah, it's pretty much as good as the iPhone. No, the browser isn't that bad. No, I don't miss wifi at home and work. The clicky screen? well, you get used to that in a week.' Secretly, they'll still long for the real thing, but it'll be good enough for those who can't or won't change networks.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 15:08

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 15:38

and to mr TequilaMokingbird ,, r u serious,, name one thing this phn cant do that the iphone can,,,??? hm waiting -----um gd... just wat i thought no answer for that but i can name plenty of things that the iphone cant do ,, but first lets start with the 3g coverage,, vzw 85% vs att 50%,,, so no need for dumbass wifi... .wifi is too support a terrible network and for ppl who cant afford a internet capable phn,, y buy a v12 when u cant afford the gas hahaha ... hmm no brainer,, ok now lets try pix and video msg,, storm can send up to 30 second clips,, it can be insured,, apple cant,,, bluetooth stereo,, it has a video recorder,, u can customize w/ no limitations,, vzw cant stop u from getting any app that the phn is compatible with,, so possibilities are unlimited,, by but far the iphone is a phenomenal device not hating on apple,, just tired of silly idiots that think the iphone is GOD,, there are plenty of devices that are just as gd,, there is phone called iriver,, the lg prada 2 releases shortly and also the touch pro ,, com'n ppl get a life a mature a lil bit ok im done...lol

posted on 21 Nov 2008, 12:39

take your own advice homo

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 14:17

You dont need wifi.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 17:00

dont need it it, but its good to have if you wanna up the speed some. no the regular signal is not as good as wifi, never will be.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 14:51

Funny how people still think verizon is the most reliable network. If they were smart they'd know that statement is just sayin that they have a backup generator. All carriers do. On point the storm is nice but honestly how many freakin touch screen phones do we need? Can I just get a phone that works well...iphone poop instinct poop bold poop storm meh nothing to get your panties wet about. Mayaswell carry an asus epc does all the same things they all CLAIM to do but end up not doing.

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 14:59

36. vzw fanman (unregistered)

haha lol. verizon is the most reliable! especially during hurricane gustav. verizon showed to have cell service nearly 100% running while others werent even close!