HTC's new high-end models are selling well, but a component shortage could dampen momentum
0. phoneArena 05 Jan 2013, 11:53 posted on
With the HTC Windows Phone 8X selling well in the States, and the HTC Butterfly becoming one of the top models in Japan, Taipei andChina, you'd thinkthat all would be well for Taiwan based HTC as the company continues its recovery from a rather shaky period of poor sales; but there is something looming on the horizon that could slow or even stop HTC's momentum: a component shortage...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. androidisbaws (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Of course they're selling well, they're running the greatest OS on earth, android jelly bean ^_^ nothing beats it
21. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1236; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
i appreciate your sentiment but they're selling well because they have finally made godd devices! and i am happy for htc as this is one company i admire till date.
M7 is a codename? man it still sounds cool...and from what i'vee heard of htc M7 things can only look up for HTC but I still feel every other android manufacturer except Sammy Boy is lacking sound software optimization. The time has come for android manufacturers to differentiate their devices not only in hardwre but in softare as well
2. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Great to hear the 8X is doing fine in the States. I'm thinking of getting a HTC Windows Phone myself, but I'm not sure. Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5 are also on my wishlist.
5. papss (unregistered)
Of course you already have thumbs down for either mentioning a WP8 or Apple device...
6. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
I know right, in some sick way it amuses me.
17. cmikeh2 (Posts: 26; Member since: 09 May 2012)
If I wasn't such an Android junkie the 8X would probably be the phone at the top of my wishlist. I find WP8 intriguing and I prefer its design over the Lumia 920.
3. Birds (Posts: 1157; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I'm proud of HTC. They've always been my favorite OEM and phone manufacturer. But the got 3 major problems......
1. They need to market better.
2. They need to fix all the bugs in their software. They definitely need to stop being the first to the market with a particular technology and spend time perfecting it. They also need to aim for a more budget oriented crowd......they have dabbled in it but they cut a lot corners but it is still fairly decent.
3. This is my personal opinion. They need to add more and more features to their devices and close the gap between retail price and manufacturing costs and meet in the middle....personally, it is very hard to compete with the nexus 4 when you have the most high end phone ever constructed in relation to price..... Jmho...
4. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
The HTC Windows 8S is a fantastic phone for the budget oriented crowd, its a shame you can't get one in the United States.
They need to supplement their Windows 8 range with a larger screen Windows Phone, but keeping the great design.
Their Windows Phones are much better designed than their Android counterparts.
9. fsahin (Posts: 46; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Need more powerfull battery too and much better than samsung pathetic solutions
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
For example what "pathetic solutions" ?
7. airhunt2 (Posts: 8; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Love my new Droid DNA, this thing rocks. Been a big fan of HTC, first phone from them was my Tmobile mytouch 4g, was a great phone, now this one is miles ahead, great stuff.
8. Kan_wha (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
HTC doesnt have the greatest build quality IMHO, solid casing and a good feel yes, otherwise defintely not. Gave my gf a One X for her bday, the damn thing keeps on crapping out. Mic, speaker, digitizer goes all within 6 months. 3 times in the shop already... Buy better compents and then we'll talk
14. Birds (Posts: 1157; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Well you just have a faulty unit then.........When I had my One X it was fine.....Extremely high call quality, decent speakers and just great touch responsiveness.....My problem was the battery life which got me threw a day but I wasn't used to charging my phone every night....Minor problem really. JS.....
10. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
it ll be soo better on future..
i belive that htc can do it..
11. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Some people forget that there's no point having a good build quality if the components used are rubbish.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
HTC could get hurt by Sony this time.
Xperia Z is a complete product
15. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Nice job HTC, now fix your crappy Sense because it's not a complete skin. It has issues with messaging and having the wrong date displayed, missing simple things like a file explorer and on top of that it hogs quite a bit of RAM. I understand wanting to be different, but for crying out loud at least make sure it works amazingly well and isn't missing simple things.
16. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Please give me numbers..
So that I can tell wether it is selling more than before or others out there
18. ryq24 (Posts: 724; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
the design and specs of htc butterfly sure looks awesome!
19. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
i'm an Apple fan but the DNA is an awesome phone, perfect size & a ridiculously clear screen. i'm glad to see HTC is moving away from the EVO'ish/Thunderbolt'ish look. keep pushing HTC.
20. wizzardtech (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
^ i agree with you on that. i used so many phones like s3 and note 2 but this HTC DROID DNA, wow! it blows me away. speed, resolution, build quality this phone is a beast. its a killer. the only downside is the non removable battery and no expansion slot.
22. bobdastarfish (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
Taipei is not a country, do they mean Taiwan
23. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
And watch how they stop supporting the butterfly by the end of the year.
24. tiara6918 (Posts: 2036; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Great to see that things are turning around for their new devices. I'm sure those shortages will only be for temporary, 2013 would be a better year for them!
26. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Htc has always made great Windows phones as well as android devices. I wish them well in 2013.
27. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Loving every damn bit of my HTC butterfly :)))
28. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
It fell great to read some good news about HTC. They make wonderful devices and it seem that people are once again taking notice. Quietly brilliant.
29. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Just saw the commercial for DNA yesterday.... That commercial looked so cool...