HTC's monster 1080p mystery device gets Bluetooth certified
0. phoneArena 07 Sep 2012, 14:29 posted on
Verizon's quad-core Snapdragon S4 device with a 5" 1080p screen just secured Bluetooth certification, ahead of what should be a fall announcement...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Hurry up and get released already.
I broke my Droid Charge over the weekend and don't have insurance! I want a phablet but the Intuition sucks balls, It kills me that I go without a phone until Oct when this or possibly the Note 2 gets released...
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4342; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Man that is crazy. You should always have insurance. Man you are going to be without a phone for almost 3 months. I am SO SORRY!
+1 because I feel bad!
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Samsung + Insurance = Best of Friends.
17. StringCheese01 (Posts: 64; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
How could u go more than a week without a phone!!
i did the same thing and bought a temporary phone off craigslist and just sold the device when i upgraded from my carrier.
23. JC557 (Posts: 1150; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yup, I'd have to go with the temporary phone from Craigslist as well. Just make sure to meet up at a Verizon store or have an LTE SIM card ready to test the phone.
21. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I have a DROID CHARGE and FYI, it came "broke" from the factory with that buggy single-core cpu. The good news is, even if you had TEC on your line, it would be a Total Equipment Waste because you. would get another CHARGE.
27. Captain_Doug (Posts: 785; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Why don't you have a backup at least? Gotta have a plan.
19. AppleIsGod (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Does more resolution use more battery or is it the same ?
22. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It uses more battery and puts strain on your graphics. As King stated below, anything over 320 ppi is unneccesary, and 1080p at 5 inches would be 440 ppi, way too much.
25. Commentator (Posts: 2473; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I used to be of the same mindset, but when I got my Evo 4G LTE I had a change of heart. Don't get me wrong, I love my Evo's 312 ppi SLCD-2 screen, but I can definitely still make out individual pixels when I hold my phone close within about 12 inches of my face. This means that a 1080p screen could fit more legible information over the same amount of space as a 720p, and I'm all for it, battery-life be damned... as long as the graphics hold up, but the Adreno 320 shouldn't have a problem with that.
28. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
meh, some people are just too funny about screen resolution. i care more about how long it lives than if i can make out any pixels on my screen when it's closer to my face than i use it at.
34. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Some people are too funny about battery life. To each his own. All phones suck now in battery life. Plus or minus a couple of hours doesn't make that much difference, they still suck. Cell phones used to last more than a week on one charge. Now it's mere hours. But they're worth it doing what they do and looking so beautiful. I want more beautiful at the expence of a couple of hours, even if that! Hold to phones at their brightest setting with the same picture or video, and it's pretty sad if yours is definitely a loser. Hard to go back to that lower resolution screen.
38. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i want to upgrade to a 720p device myself but when it comes to the point of getting all up in your phone's grill squinting trying to make out pixels is when i think it goes too far and you need to reevaluate your priorities. if a 720p and a 1080p screen look so similar in normal usage then i'd definitely take the lower resolution with the better battery life. remember there's not much out there that's even optimized for that many pixels so from an angle you're really not getting anything but poor battery life, it's all in your head i tell you.
41. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Let's just agree to disagree on that. I see the difference with my eyes, it's not just in my head. I choose to have a better looking screen.
40. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Question, are you actually seeing pixels, or is it just some sort of placebo effect (not sure if I used the term correctly) and your brain is making you think you see pixels? Just a thought...
3. Mightymack (Posts: 74; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)
If it comes out before my Galaxy Nexus gets Jelly Bean, I'll get it lol
5. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Maybe this could be a device that helps HTC rebound from their continued losses?
8. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yes, their rebound from the rezound. *guffaws* ;D
10. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That genuinely made me lol. You did good, King, you did good.
24. JC557 (Posts: 1150; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I gotta admit, my Rezound is a really good phone and battery life is pretty good considering.
Sadly that will be the last phone I can use an upgrade on as I will lose my Unlimited Data from here on out.
26. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm in the same boat as you (with Rezound and Unlimited Data), my next phone will be out-of-pocket (full retail). That's why, as much as I love HTC, I would want the GN2 with the extra half inch screen.
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
research ways to upgrade without losing your unlimited data. i talked to a Verizon rep that said he could do it with certain prerequisites but i want to wait for the Razr HD's or the Note II before i decide to find out if i could go through with it.
53. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
If there is a way, that rep is not being totally on the level with you. I manage an agent location, and there is no way to do an upgrade without dropping unlimited data. The computer system will not let it happen bro. Sounds really shady....
58. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
lol thumbs down for trying to inform someone about what the policy is. Don't like the policy all you want, but shoot the messenger too? That's pretty fail lol.
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i wonder where Wildmanfan is with his "i'm gonna jump ship to AT&T because Verizon has a trash line-up!" rants now. xD
14. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
looks like he came and went. oh well! ;P
9. shamatuu (Posts: 148; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
I want to see it already. My Droid X is getting old.
11. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4104; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
1080p 5 inch? 440 ppi. Sigh. I get numbers are everything to the average consumer, and would gladly take 1080p over 720p, but this is too much.
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, anything over say...320ppi would really just use voltage unnecessarily.
32. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1053; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
While you might be right, I'd still like to see it first.
12. HardReset (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Sep 2012)
I wish i could add a red thumbs down to HTC.
30. spinz (Posts: 26; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
I wonder if Verizon will come up with a HTC One X version?
31. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
won't need it. it's too behind for them now. they need their own, all new One variant.
33. jphillips63 (Posts: 184; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Not sure why the downers on the Rezound I own this phone after taking back the GN I had for a week due to no data connection. I've owned several smart phones over the past few years and I will say my rezound has been the best phone I've ever owned. Not one problem so far heck not even a call into tech support. This phone has been badly under rated and put on the back burner for no reason what so ever. I'm running ICS and the latest global ruu leak, I'm non rooted as well and since the last global ruu leak my battery life has at least doubled. Browsing many forums if one would take the time this phone has had less issues over any phone that's been released, even over the latest Sammy gsIII which I never understood why folks buy into a plastic phone with lack luster radios. Anyhow I hope this new phone HTC brings to the table stays on top for a long time.
36. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
I'm with you. I sold my Rezound and have GIII now. I miss HTC every day. Can't wait for this rumored one to come out so I can get rid of this Sammy crap.
37. spinz (Posts: 26; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
What's wrong with the gs3? I have a LG Spectrum and I was thinking of getting the gs3.
39. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Maybe you'll love it after LG. I just feel like my old Rezound is still a better phone. I, like jphillips, never had one problem with it. The GIII, for example, drops wifi and can't find it again. The exact same problem I have on my old GTab 10.1. You'd think they would fix it by now on their so called "king of android". And they are well aware of the problem.
42. JC557 (Posts: 1150; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
The noise cancellation on the Rezound is very effective. Much better than that on my Droid Bionic, Droid charge and Thunderbolt. The earpiece is also nice and loud which could only be matched by the Droid Charge and Thunderbolt. It would've been nice if the phone shipped with a battery rated at 1800 mAH or better.
Hopefully HTC will remedy these faults while keeping the good aspects of their phones.
43. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
After owning a Nexus S 4G, AND a Galaxy Nexus, I wont buy Samsung again. They are just cheaply made. HTC is a more solid phone, but what I really like is that the radios are better. Wifi reach, signal, bluetooth etc. Motorola is the best in terms of radios but Sammy is def the weakest.
44. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I'M ABOUT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT BECAUSE OF KIES RIGHT NOW TOO! D:
50. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
KIES lol... the Samsung Rep came in to give us training on the new touchwiz features. He asked "how many of you know what Kies is". I was the only one that raised my hand. He then said, "you sir, can you tell me what feature you like about Kies"
I said, "Kies makes Rooting sooo much easier"
He looked at me -_- and said, Im gonna pretend I didnt hear that. Whole group laughed xD
51. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
funny story. xD
really though Kies is a pain in the ass to use...
i have a friend trying to do the ICS update for her Captivate Glide and Kies isn't working for her even though she's doing everything right it seems so now i'm gonna have to meet her and do it myself. -_-
56. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
its not the radio that messes up HTC phones. its the metal body that messes up the radio
46. jphillips63 (Posts: 184; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Samsung radios are just junk and the wifi on them won't stay connected. What good are all those specs if the phone can't be used as it should be with the crappy radios installed in them. With my Rezound I get 4g signal where the GN I had wouldn't even get 3g. Like others said if HTC had put a bigger battery in this phone it wouldn't had got put on the back burner, but now with the global update I'd say many would be very happy with the stock battery.
48. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i have a Nexus and an SIII and while the SIII stays connected just fine the Nexus does seem to have some difficulty.
54. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I love my Rezound as well. Since the 4.0 update I've not had any problems with it, and battery life has improved as well. Still wish it was better, but nothing shy of the Maxx would help me as I tend to be a heavy data user, demoing my phone to customers and using it for personal entertainment during down time.
Might be a good while before I get another phone, b/c the phablets just don't interest me, and I like HTC, so unless I get a great deal on the Incredible 4G(underrated phone as well, imo), no desire to spend the money.
55. LionStone (Posts: 465; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
I'm rollin with the DROIDInc 4G and really like the 2150 mAh battery, it gives it some heft and makes it last all day...its a little beast. But the stock size gives it a nice slim form and last 16 hrs easy on 4G lte. I'm curious about this 5" beast though so I might have to upgrade the wife with the Inc4 :-)
45. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
I applaud Htc for it's 1080p 5inch smartphone this only pushes innovation to the Maxx. I just wish that HTC would take the bull by the horns and announce it's own product and tell Verizon when it has to be released. Not allow Verizon to control any aspect of this launched product. But they won't ONLY SAMSUNG controls that concept. I wish Htc well but I roll with Samsung and my Galaxy S3 and will be buying the Galaxy Note 2 when it lands on Tmobile day one. I will have the best of both worlds the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2.
47. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Even though its HTC, i must say that I am intrigued.,
52. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
This needs to be a global release if it's really what the rumors make it to be.
57. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
I see no reason why this won't beat the galaxy note 2. HTC would really have to mess something up