HTC squeezes all-time low quarterly profit of $2.83 million
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
There's the surprise of the century :-0
27. khmer (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
HTC One phone with aluminum back cover and new camera sensor are very costly to HTC for delayed. Inside is the same plastic as Samsung.
2. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Probably because they're still not listening to their customers?
4. darkskoliro (Posts: 966; Member since: 07 May 2012)
One more quarter and things will turn around :) No pun intended.
5. tiara6918 (Posts: 1391; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
HTC would loose a lot of customers because of that delay
10. vincelongman (Posts: 1135; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
If they released the HTC One earlier, some people would buy it instead of waiting longer for the Galaxy S4, but since the delay pushed their released dates very close some people might decide to wait for the S4 instead.
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Only 2.8 million, ouch. The make great phones to me, build quality is more solid and design is better than Samsung, but they just had to screw up something like lacking storage, low battery capacity, or delayed release.
If only they stuffed in an above average 13MP cam instead of that underwhelming 4MP ultrapixel camera, i believe there wouldnt be much delays.
12. FlushGordon (unregistered)
The Ultrapixel gimmick may be the worst in smartphone history....I can't believe why so many people fell into this crap.
13. Retro-touch (Posts: 257; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Just about every phone released this year will beat the One's Ultrapixel cause of low MP, GSMArena reviews show that its got great video recording though even compared to GS4
30. oister85 (Posts: 396; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Check out technobuffalo review he say the phone is great. According to the review he say the camera is one of the best in smartphone industry. He says the camera has some dlsr affects.
33. tiara6918 (Posts: 1391; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
HTC should invest more on r&d for that ultrapixel camera
35. Retro-touch (Posts: 257; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I looked at the pics posted in the review comparison between SGS4 and One and Sony Xperia Z vs One at GSMArena and based on what I saw, they take better pictures, I'm not interested in someone's opinion when my eyes work just fine
8. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
That's nasty. HTC's share price is going to take a beating.
9. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Well , at least there are profit .
HTC makes better phones than Samsung but cant compete financialy
15. Retro-touch (Posts: 257; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
It just goes to show what you care about (premium materials) isn't what majority cares about, and that they need a change of strategy, better marketing and some software gimmicks not hardware one which are more likely to piss customers off, such as 4MP camera, weird placement of buttons
Also HTC phones have locked bootloaders, that are hard as hell to unlock, Samsung its like child's play
21. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I am partially agree with you.
Xperias also come with locked bootloaders , these manufacturer tools wasn't too difficult to use .
Yes I agree that they need better maketibg but I don't think HTC have the resource of it . I totally love the you commercial made by them years ago but Microsoft seemed to have copied them. They need something fresh and intuitive but won't break the bank .
I don't really just care about premium materials , the device have to perform ! And the performance if the One is by no means mediocre , it could go neck and neck with the GS4 .
16. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
$2.83 million profit? For a company like that? That's 2 cents to them really. Nokia faced this all for the last two years (2011 - 2012) but were able to pull through to a nice profit. People are doubting HTC financially lately.
19. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I know its like 2 cents
But like you said during 2011-2012 Nokia actually LOSES money
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
NOKIA LOST 2.3 BILLION IN 2012, you ignorant.
Theirs record quarterly loss in 2012 was 1.7 billion.
HTC was over 600 million in profit for the whole year I think.
It's in a heavenly cash position compared to Nokia
55. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
I know that, I said Nokia faced this problem that HTC will probably soon face. But Nokia has been able to pull from billion dollar deficits to profit in one year. That's good business skills.
14. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Open the back cover, add the sd slot, provide removable battery and see sales improve. Move away from stupid of "Premium Feel" and then lock everything down under the garb of "PREMIUM" ... buyers are not fools ... there must be a reason why samsung sells .. learn from them :)
58. KParks23 (Posts: 448; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
I disagree the average consumer is a dumb ass! They will literally buy something just because someone else has it or for some feature that has been around for years but there just too clueless to know it even existed "panorama" so in total 99.9% of people are morons!
23. MartianMe (unregistered)
Love htc but is this kind of mistakes that is ruing them, they bring that on them selves....still wish you the best tho.
24. iluvsmartphonexpdx (Posts: 48; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Still looking for a good VS battle against HTC One...
41. Doakie (Posts: 1231; Member since: 06 May 2009)
The HTC One PPI count is wrong. It should be 468 PPI.
26. lolatfailphones (Posts: 149; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
Serves them right! They have made allot of bullcrap phones in the past that's why they're suffering right now! First is was that gimmic "beast audio software" crap now they feed idiots with 4mp "ultra pixel" camera. Htc totally killed sense with that horrid blinkfeed(if you don't believe me look up on how many people asking how to disable it) then they claim that consumers don't know how to use widgets!? Burn in bankrupt hell HTfail!
31. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Seriously dude, that's why you came here for? For "loling" at fail phones?
You don't even know what is Beats Audio and Ultrapixel, just Google it dude!
47. lolatfailphones (Posts: 149; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
What? I have own an htc vivid updated to Ics and got that so called enhanced sound "beats audio" the loud speaker was something to laugh at and don't even get me started on the lags and bus I was surprised it didn't lag during calls xD
57. djg71087 (Posts: 70; Member since: 10 Oct 2010)
Beats audio doesn't work over the loud speaker. Only with bluetooth or when plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. Just saying!
I notice a big difference in my car
59. lolatfailphones (Posts: 149; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
I know it doesn't work for the loud speaker bro
The htc vivid had an awful loud speaker and also crappy sound when using earphones. I owned one so I know what I'm saying
60. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Of course dude, it's a HTC Vivid, it's an old phone. Now it's HTC One now, just try it and see the difference (don't know you're from US or not), I believe the One is better than Vivid a lot and not crappy at all......... :)
(Sorry for the mean comment by the way.......)
69. lolatfailphones (Posts: 149; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
No problem! I didn't view it as mean. I live in Jamaica and don't get me wrong I loved htc for their beautiful widgets and how sense used to be. That was the whole reason I bought the vivid, I didn't try the one X out because I heard of that awful frames per second bug though.
28. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Geez....I'm shocked!!! Poor HTC, I hope HTC will come back safely and peacefully soon!
GOOD LUCK HTC!!
34. johnriii (Posts: 225; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
i wouldn't go so far to say they deserve it, but they have not listened to the customer. I've owned three HTC phones, and three is where it ends. I've given HTC time to come up with something revolutionary, and instead, their phones have gotten more and more disappointing. my main gripe is battery life, which on the three i've had (Eris, thunderbolt, Rezound) have been horrible. Now, Verizon apparently isn't going to sell the HTC One, and the DNA, at least in battery life, is the same old same old. I'm not surprized to see they are in financial dire straits.
36. pyradark (Posts: 767; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Next time!! Sell more phone first before bashing other company!! What goes around, comes back around KARMA
42. SleepingOz (unregistered)
43. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Yikes! My university made more than that in late fees alone. I pray HTC can strike something with the One. In a capitalist society, we need them to do well.
44. amats69 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
ouch! so sad with that coz i know HTC is a great company with great products!.HTC you really need to double your effort on promoting the HTC One now..this is a great Device for this year and maybe or maybe not this device will bring you back again to the game.it depends now on how you market that to the public. :) Goodluck!
45. emadshiny (Posts: 1131; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
the worst mistake of HTC is that they think the only market is US while there is a great potential outside US, specially Asia and middle east. i can see lots of Sammy ads and nowadays Sony is advertising very well in Asia and middle east as well. even Asus has great advertising but there is no sign of HTC. so there is no surprise that they loose more and more money every quarter.
but i think One will help them to survive this situation.
61. pyradark (Posts: 767; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
super right!! this is why sony is putting a lot effort on other countries like UK & Europe, bcoz there is a huge potential there. why squeezing yourself in US where it all belongs to sammy and apple. HTC is risking a lot of money.
46. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
The more the One is delayed the more trouble htc is going to be in.
48. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
HTC do not follow market demand so falls/fails everytime.
50. b1acktiger (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 May 2012)
I think the marketing brought them into this position where they are right now. Now they are going to fix things up. They didnt lose the sales because their phones doesnt have MicroSD nor Removable batteries. 80% of people doesnt care about this. there are lot of countries other than USA, UK. Still many many people doesnt know what is HTC. Play the "Quietly Brilliant Story of HTC" in their TV. I hope, everything is going to be okay now. Good Luck HTC
51. Via108 (Posts: 7; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
In Russia, sales will begin on April 10.
People who pre-ordered, get from April 6 HTC One.
P.S. Google translate)
52. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
Htc has to stay in their own lane. The delay will cost them a lot of sales. They cannot compete with Samsung right now. Before you go to war you gotta get your money right! Htc money ain't right!
53. Taters (Posts: 2849; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Well deserved. If they really want to reverse their fortunes, don't waste money on marketing. Hire a better ergonomics team that will put the buttons in usable places for once and fix your factories so the quality control isn't absolutely horrible. Get better software and hardware testers too.
54. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
I am feeling bad for them. Hope they will rock with the "ONE"
66. oister85 (Posts: 396; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
If north korea start a war with the south, htc could win this battle.
68. barondebxl (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
HTC does not deserve this but it is their fault though, no one else to blame. I'll be a happy man the day they fire that piece of sh*t CEO. Dude is a retarded quiet boy.