HTC releases a software update for the One's camera, doesn't add more ultrapixels
0. phoneArena 24 Apr 2013, 05:27 posted on
HTC really took a gamble this year by equipping its flagship smartphone with a 4 MP camera. It's clear that while many users should know that megapixels aren't everything by now, there will still be some that will just go for the camera with the highest number...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Ultrapixel is the lamest smartphone gimmick of 2013 so far....
3. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Are you mad or something? google the comparison of HTC One camera with other phones.. Its a good daylight camera and when it comes to low lighting it is leagues ahead of the competition... You should be the lamest troll of 2013 so far....
11. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1090; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
and you must be the s**ttiest cameraphone enthusiast out there.
13. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Sheik....I do wedding photography for a semi-living...
What you said is exacly what HTC has just said in their adverts..
Go out and learn gears and photography kiddo
17. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
He might b a kiddo but the legend behind 41megapixel camera sensor is not, ask him how ge feels about the ultra pixel gimmick..
34. chocolaking (Posts: 428; Member since: 22 May 2012)
some people are just so un educated of photography.
My new htc one smoked all the smart phone cameras out there! and an un deniable fact, no smart phone has an wider angle of shots llike my phone.
those HTC haters r behaving like people who has mental illness problem..
39. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Hey buddy, how's the 720P/1080P recording on the device?
46. Xtasy (Posts: 270; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
My Blackberry Z10 has a wider angle shot. i tested this HTC one out today and nothing special. Texting on the keyboard sucks and multi tasking, doesn't exist on the phone in comparison. Overall though the phone has a really nice feel to it and good feel to the screen as well so deff better than cheap feel of S4
54. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
you do wedding Photography and yet you said Ultrapixel(camera with bigger sensor) is a gimmick? i think you're the one who needs to go out and learn gears and photography..
50. gigaraga (Posts: 487; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
The Samsung Galaxy S4 still has better low light performance than the HTC One, even the 'Ultrapixels' are supposed to be in play. Anything left to say?
60. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Huh... do you know what you're talking about?
4. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
I don't think so: low light performance is much better than competing phones, it's better than iphone, GS3 and so on. This is where UltraPixel (together with the optical stabilizer) can really make a difference.
Daylight performance is worse than the best phones in class, yet it's still good, and I prefer a phone than can deliver good performance in every shooting condition than a phone that delivers better quality in bright light but drastically worsens as soon as the light falls.
This is the meaning of the work made by HTC, unfortunately it won't be understood by many...
15. FlushGordon (unregistered)
It doesn't live up to my expectations quite frankly...been pixel peeping these jpegs off my friends HTC ONE and they are absolutely spectacularly ordinary...It's more like a noise reduction/detail suppression software tweaks rather than HTC's fancy claim (whatever the F it is)
Low light performance is decent, but smudgy....and that ain't good
22. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Of course low light performance is still smudgy, but we're talking about a smartphone and must be compared to other smartphones, and I think that there's a perceivable difference.
Also, HTC has already released two camera software updates, and since the first visibly improved image quality (though it will never be like an iphone or GS4), I'd give the One another chance once the software is stable.
Finally, pixel-peeping is good, but in practice you'll never look at your pictures fully zoomed, while you will frequently take pictures ad dusk or indoors where the optical stabilizer will make possible to take pictures that would otherwise be ruined by camera shake. So that's pixel-peeping vs. real world usage benefits, and I think the latter is more important...
37. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Oh i love the way how anandtech do their review! Very detailed.
18. KParks23 (Posts: 444; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
I'm pretty sure I'd say samsung air gesture is... If ur going to hover ur finger 1cm over the screen just go ahead and touch the Damn screen!
20. a_merryman (Posts: 603; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I'm going to go on a limb and say the majority of the features Samsung released for the GS4 are gimmicks. Though the multiple apps that they pioneered (in smartphones, clearly computers have done it...for many years) is nice.
27. jackhammer91 (Posts: 21; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
that gives the overview which saves time than actually doing the whole thing bitch!!
45. uncfan44 (Posts: 6; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
haha i couldn't agree more... now b4 i get bashed for trolling my last 5 devices in descending order are.. evo LTE, moto photon, htc evo shift, samsung epic, and the blackberry style... with a few others mixed in for a short period of time... now i have no prob with sammy as my tab is a sammy 10.1, but ALL of the new gestures i've seen demo'd (i work for a cell company so i always get to play with stuff early), are going to be useless to the average person. why hover when u can touch, sure ppl will say it saves time, but how hard will it be to reprogram yourself to do this rather than the norm of just touching? most of us are creatures of habit so changing the way we do things, unless the benefit of doing so is drastic, will continue to do things the way we always have. that is why the hover is a gimmick. the story mode for the gallery (or what ever its called) is wack as you have to pay for using certain aspects of it. now the drama shot on the other hand... that feature of the phone is dope.
53. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
58. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
After Galaxy S4
2. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
what HTC One needs now is 2nd gen JB when their competitors are on 4.2..
5. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Who? Samsung, Sony and LG are still on 4.1.2 and the GS4 has not yet been released. Who's on 4.2? Only the Nexus, and that's because it's a Nexus.
6. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
No friend, Samsung is already on 4.2... Sony and LG have released their android 4.2 AOSP already, which means their flagships would get 4.2 anytime soon in the future.
12. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1090; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
"would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get" "would get"
23. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Forgive me, but AOSP is not the same as official firmware (you have to unlock the bootloader, you may experience bugs and instabilities and so on) and "anytime soon in the future" is not "now"! ;-)
36. chocolaking (Posts: 428; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Phone arena is totally biased for sure.
Why would they make such an news title to make sacarsm of HTC One?
"HTC releases a software update for the One's camera, doesn't add more ultrapixels"
what is the meaning of adding' One's camera, doesn't add more ultrapixels ' ??
I love how PA just keep making news title bashing htc..
41. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
is PA lying ???
Sarcasm ?? yes
but no lying.
9. amro99 (Posts: 76; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
First: "The update doesnt add more ultrapixels" wtf is this?? Has there been any update in history to increase the mexapixel? Second, dear PA, your htc ones camera is either faulty or has one of the earliest pre-release softwares! Chek out the reviews of final units sold by at&t or Sprint and you will get my point... Third, whoever has got a decent smartphone from '12 or '11 knows that more than 70% of shots they take suffer from low light, so One's camera is clearly better than all other phones in 70% of scenarios (along with lumia920) and nothing bad in clear daylight (the remaining 30% of shots)
10. jsdechavez (Posts: 699; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
You're a bit short in humor these days, my friend. There are reasons for the joke.
24. amro99 (Posts: 76; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
The first point indeed sounds like a joke to kids like you, but hopefully a criticize to the author/writer! the second and third also only make sense to grown-ups!
21. a_merryman (Posts: 603; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I know, it is a crying shame that it doesn't increase the amount of ultrapixels. Maybe in the next update. I heard this one doesn't increase your amount of RAM either, luckily you can get more by downloading it from herewww.downloadmoreram.com/
14. sintruder (Posts: 58; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
this is great news and i think the one i ordered will come pre installed with this update.I also heard this update will bring the long press of back key can be set as menu key.
16. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
Ultra pixel the ultimate loser..crap quality,..crap resolution,..a little better in low light but over all failure..
26. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Fanboys nowadays really disappointing...tsk tsk tsk...pathetic troll....
19. khmer (Posts: 92; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
What is ultrapixel mean with only 4mp, so Nokia 41mp is gigapixel. HTC One is a loser and HTC company will go bankruptcy with HTC First Facebook phone is another crappy phone.
25. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Much better for you to go educate yourself about bigger sensors, pixels, and why it is called ultrapixel...
64. Deaconclgi (Posts: 210; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
They are NOT called Ultra Pixels due to the One's small camera sensor. Yes, small 1/3' sensor. Bigger pixels is the main feature of The One's Camer, hench it is called Ultra PIXELS and not Ultra Sensor. Now, the 808s 1/1.2' and the 3 year old N8s 1/1.8' are bigger sensors than every other phone followed by the sensor sizes in the Nokia N86, N95/82 and so forth.
28. AlexC (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
I think PA has been bought out by Samsung for the week. They used to love the One and now all they do is talk sh!t about it. Time to move on to another website where opinions are honest and not sporadic like a woman's hormones during their period.
29. sonisoe (Posts: 320; Member since: 06 May 2009)
thought htc had also aired an update that visibly improved camera performance some weeks ago...
30. buraini (Posts: 10; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
No one mention the firmware update for Lumia 920 that also brings camera fix and improvement...let see what will change if photo is taken with this new '1308'firmware
32. amro99 (Posts: 76; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
here you get a camera shot comparison, before & after:
btw it's in german :)
48. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
You dont understand what you're posting right? You just qouted pa without understanding right? So whats your point?
56. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
013/04/24/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-comparing-megapixels-with-ultrapixels/---- now whos camera suck again?
33. ItsMyChoice (Posts: 37; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
HTC One can't compete to lumia 920 oh sorry not even 720 in low light.
47. Xtasy (Posts: 270; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Maybe not but your lumia 920 can't compete to Blackberry Z10's time shift feauture...womp womp. You can't have it all :p
42. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
"doesn't add more ultrapixels"
that means... after the update Htc camera still sucks
49. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Nah tell that to your cheap plastic toy.lol
51. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
the camera incluided in that "cheap plastic toy" IS AMAZING ;)
yea !!! amazing.....out of the box, no updates needed ;)
57. amats69 (Posts: 968; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
59. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
woow, samples of S4 (out of the box - no updated) I'm surprised ;)
Htc good colors
S4 better details, did u see Jons beard??? or the leaf with flower ?? HTC too noisy.
61. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I fine the last photo of HTC to be more defined than S4.
The fabric that Mario is laying on is very defined on the One shot, whereas S4 is more blurry.
HTC wins it for me.