HTC pulls out of Brazilian smartphone market, citing poor sales
0. phoneArena posted on 22 Jun 2012, 13:22
With a market share approaching zero, HTC has reportedly decided to cancel its Brazilian launch of the HTC One series, and pull its phones of the Brazil altogether...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jmoita2 posted on 22 Jun 2012, 13:26 10 1
A stupid move, they should have redoubled their marketing efforts as Brazil is one of the world's biggest cell markets.
2. PAPINYC (limited) 2 days ago posted on 22 Jun 2012, 13:41 8 11
Brasilians love only four things:
That's it, and it that order!
3. groupsacc posted on 22 Jun 2012, 13:46 12 1
I agree with your listing, but you have the order wrong ;)
6. ltavaress posted on 22 Jun 2012, 15:54 10 0
I don't agree, I'm brazilian and I hate beaches and iphones and samba
7. jmoita2 posted on 22 Jun 2012, 16:08 3 0
You forgot Jiu Jitsu!!! lol I'm with you, Itavaress.
9. fabiaguilafc posted on 22 Jun 2012, 16:11 9 2
Please, the No. 1 thing Brasilians love is soccer!! Come on!! That is what Brasil is known for around the world!!
13. jmoita2 posted on 22 Jun 2012, 17:14 5 0
Come to America... we need more Brasileiros!!! lol
20. bolaG posted on 22 Jun 2012, 18:42 2 0
Sim deveria vem pro EUA haha porque Brasiliero que nao gosta de praia ta deficil
22. ltavaress posted on 22 Jun 2012, 21:32 2 0
Sure, I just need a place to live over there and someone to love me. You guys are the funniest when you speak portuguese
19. bolaG posted on 22 Jun 2012, 18:42 3 0
Good list but if your going for the stereotypical brazilian it would be:
24. jaytai0106 posted on 23 Jun 2012, 10:57 0 0
you totally forgot about steroid. HTC should develop steroid and sell it there. They would probably make more money :P
5. gustavo.saiki posted on 22 Jun 2012, 15:19 5 0
I'm quite sure a Brazilian made that list, given the "s" in brazilians. Anyway, I live in brazil and can honestly say I hate samba. So stop giving foreigners reasons to label us as this underdeveloped country that cares about nothing.
Now, about HTC: I have an HTC Android smartphone and think it's really superior to some Samsungs and Motorolas in the same price range. Thing is, I bought mine before HTC even restated their business here, less than a year ago. Since then I haven't seen a single piece of advertising on HTC phones in Brazil, be it on TV, magazines, internet, whatever. So if they failed here, it's because they wanted to.
25. thedarkside posted on 23 Jun 2012, 17:34 0 0
i hate rap.
i like music that actually has talented musicians making it.
14. RoundBallmer (banned) posted on 22 Jun 2012, 17:26 2 12
Android = lag. Brazilians are smart not to buy it
16. Forsaken77 posted on 22 Jun 2012, 17:31 1 5
Well if Brazillians only like low-end, crap phones... then it doesn't pay for HTC to stay there. HTC is more about high-end now. So it's either lose money or leave. They made the right call.
21. gustavo.saiki posted on 22 Jun 2012, 18:54 3 0
People love to talk about other places like they lived there... You couldn't be more wrong. Brazilian people are paying big bucks to have high-end phones, cars and all the rest. And consider this is a country where taxes makes everything cost twice as much (or more, in some cases) as they do in the US. The difference is people here aren't that crazed about gadgets as north-americans are. They go to a carrier shop and want to know what they need there. I'm not part of that lot, but the average brazilian doesn't really care. They just want a good product and, most of the time, they get it. It's HTC's fault they didn't have success here, as I said it before, they didn't even advertise their phones.
23. ryq24 posted on 23 Jun 2012, 06:13 0 0
htc by now should know they cannot compete only in the high end market. they are not apple. they should study samsung and copy their phones and marketing strategy..
27. thedarkside posted on 23 Jun 2012, 17:38 0 0
htc makes solid phones for the most part. they just dont advertise like they used to. i cant remember the last time i saw an HTC commercial. i see commercials all the time for the droid line and the iphone.
28. DanBal76 posted on 24 Jun 2012, 21:25 0 0
I remember seeing some overpriced Windows Mobile phones from HTC here in Brazil some years ago. Now, with some good Android offerings from Samsung, LG and Motorola, and virtually no new offerings from HTC for quite some time (the ones that matter anyway), i don't think HTC will be missed.
30. Claudio88 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 15:20 0 0
Gosto dos aparelhos HTC. Pena que sairão aqui do Brasil. :/