HTC happy with HTC One (M8) sales despite slow start
0. phoneArena 04 Apr 2014, 18:23 posted on
Despite the huge hype that the HTC One (M8) received prior to its launch, some data indicates that sales of the phone are off to a slow start. That is based on a study of mobile web traffic published by mobile ad network Chitika. Last year, one week after the launch of the HTC One, that model made up 1% of HTC's mobile web traffic in North America...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jellmoo (Posts: 1528; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
"It would be somewhat mystifying to see all that pre-release interest for a phone that nobody wanted."
I can't speak for other people, but my pre-release interest vanished after it was unveiled. Initially I was very interested in seeing what HTC would come out with, as I am a fan of the M7. But after the unveiling, all of that went up in a puff of smoke.
3. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I agree even my M7 looks better and has the perfect size, not this huge 5.5 Note3 wanabe,,,,?
7. Kishin (Posts: 704; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Lets hope the HTC One Plus is not a disappointment.
12. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Lol. One Plus is nothing to do with HTC.
38. SleepingOz (unregistered)
The One Plus won't disappoint since it's not from HTC.
30. Luuthian (Posts: 240; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Yeah, once that 4MP camera was confirmed, my excitement was completely soured.
52. b1acktiger (Posts: 223; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Ultra pixel camera in HTC One M7 and M8 is the best camera available for those share pics through social media. Its way ahead of the competition. It depends upon how you use the camera.
67. P-YWS (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
May I ask what drug are you on? 4Mpixels phone camera, no matter how good the quality is claimed by HTC or anyone with reasonable engineering understanding and IQ, can never exceed those from Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Lumia 1020. Being a top-end smartphone, any taker of this new HTC piece of s..t is simply in-sane. Besides, while other OEMs are able uni-body with thickness below 8mm, this so-called uni-body design is a BRICK. I suspect that the CEO and the CEO and the chairwoman have been on some kind of brain-distorted drugs for a long time.
68. Muayyad (Posts: 236; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
You are just a spec junkie. Nokia with their camera are not going to be the number one.
70. P-YWS (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
No, I am not a spec junk. I expressed my opinion as a professional photo journalist. Trust me, you the ultra-pixel camera of HTC is a piece of junk. The so-called 40M or 20Mpixel camera of Nokia give far better pictures.
In fact, from the spec point of view, why would you want to pay for a piece of junk camera (i.e. ultra-pixel) at the same price (assuming non-contract price at orange-to-orange level)? If you have too much money to throw around, why don't you sponsor your children or your parents or your love one for a trip?
69. ar2730 (Posts: 42; Member since: 24 May 2012)
You are sadly mistaken. My HTC One M7's camera was way better than my Note 3's Camera. The delay is horrible, and the pictures are not that great on the note 3. Plus my M7's camera was way better at taking night time pics.
36. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"It would be somewhat mystifying to see all that pre-release interest for a phone that nobody wanted."
Even on the release , and even now is "hype" at the tech media and comments.
Nothing "mystyfying" here. Most of the noise was/is made by iboys to fight against Samsung, and promote the ALUMINUM.
But only noise, cause they buy only apple logo.
42. engineer-1701d (Posts: 3272; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It's the camera if it was a 20mp this phone would be blowing sales up every where. If it was a higher mp camera and had a finger print scanner out would be a blow out
48. eq5555 (Posts: 64; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Paid people, reviews and fanatics have not helped.
2. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The S5 the M8 was a fail to me and to other techies like us, but for the public it could be a hit. Who knows,,,,,?
The Z2 is the phone of the year I believe,,,,?
4. jellmoo (Posts: 1528; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I actually prefer the S5 to the Z2, largely because of the colossal size of the Z2. I'm still waiting to see what else pops out. Most notably the successor to the Moto X.
13. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Don't let the physical and capacitive buttons on the S5 fool you. The Z2 and S5 are actually almost the same size:
Z2: 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2
S5: 142 x 72.5 x 8.1
And the Z2 has a rounded aluminium frame, which adds slightly to it's height and width, compared to the plastic build of the S5.
It is the S5 that has gotten colossal, going from the S4. All 3 phones are roughly the same size now.
17. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
If only the Z had less bezels it would've been a perfect size like the S4
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The Z2 is running Sony's Timescale UI, a major turn off for me. Z2 isn't a bad phone itself, but the UI totally stops me from even thinking about buying one.
23. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Who cares, just download Apex or other launchers and there you will have a Nexus vanilla look.
If you don't like anything just install and change it.
32. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
touchwiz looks ugly and childish....lots of bloatwares and bugs...full of gimmicky features touchwiz is lags a lot.....Sony UI is simple and elegant...
33. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
It is your opinion....
We have our own opinion...we prefer touchwiz's catching UI compared to dull sony UI....
And we like the functionality of touchwiz....
61. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
touchwiz has the most feautres that no other OEMs skins have that they wished they had these specs..
common sense the more load you add on the heavier it gets for the engine to push aka cpu to react, thats why they used 801 cpu next they will use the 805.
51. farlaks (Posts: 10; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
android=customization, no point to hate/not like a product/company whose UI is not appealing to u.. :)
25. jellmoo (Posts: 1528; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Um... The S5 is almost 5mm shorter than the Z2. That's a pretty darn big difference. Heck, the difference in height between the S5 and the Z2 and the S5 and the S4 is almost exactly the same.
Don't get me wrong, I consider the S5 oversized as well, but the Z2 is in an oversized category all of its own.
27. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
if S5 was having front stereo speakers + 5.2" display + 3200mah battery , then i can bet it will be above 146mm.....
28. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No not really. If the Z2 added a fingerprint sensor, capacitive buttons, and a heart rate monitor, and a USB 3 port, and cat 4 let, then it would be like
160mm x 76mm x 9.8mm.
Samsung screwed up with the GS5 sizing but they will never be as bad as Sony and HTC. Not while they still manufacture everything in sight.
29. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
What about having those speaker on both sides or have 4 speakers like the way it had on the N95,,,,,,?
Then it would not need to be so long and dugly with big bezels
35. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
s4 and s5 exactly same size ???
S4-136 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm
S5-142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm
S5 is 6mm larger than S4,for just 0.1" more screen.now tell me, isn't your beloved S5 very huge ???? lolllzzzz
40. jellmoo (Posts: 1528; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I want you to re-read my comment. Because...
A) I never said that.
B) It certainly isn't "my beloved" S5. Not by a longshot...
46. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Correct, the GS5 is huge too. Just not laughably huge like the HTC and Sony flagships
49. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
4.4 mm isnt rally that huge when you account for the speakers
56. Android89 (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
Exactly this, I havent seen the Z2 yet but even the Z1 is a tiny bit taller than the S5 and the Z2 is taller than that. The M8 is a fair bit taller than the S5 and the Z2 is a weenie bit taller than that.
26. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol that is not almost. That is way bigger.
55. Android89 (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
The Z2 on paper sounds a great phone no denying that but i havent seen it in R/L to give it a real verdict. Anyway there certainly is a difference when you even look at the M8 and s5 side by side the m8 is a fair bit taller so don't let paper measurements fool you and the z2 is a weenie bit taller than the m8 and wider. So they are not almost exactly the same size, z2 and m8 are closer in size the the note 3.
Also the s5 is as tall over the s4 as the z2/m8 is over the s5, however the s5 has a reason its taller, waterproofing so don't forget to mention that while your at it.
I am no fan boy of any OEM as its me that is giving them money not the other way round so i say things as it see it, no need to be biased about anything
57. Android89 (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
I also forgot to mention finger print scanner aswell
58. almostdone (Posts: 231; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
S5 has grown in size compared to the S4 but Z2 being almost 5mm taller and 1mm wider is not the same size + the sqaurish design on the Z2 will always feel bigger in the hand than rounded corners.
I played with the Z1 and note 3 and they feel almost the same size in the hand due to the squarish design.
34. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4274; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I would prefer the GS5 and M8 over the Z2. To me, HTC's UI is much more clean and attractive, and I like the full metal body rather than the metal/glass sandwich that is the Z2. Also, too many flaps on the Z2's ports. I don't care if it's water-proof, I don't like to fuss with things like that.
53. b1acktiger (Posts: 223; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Whats new with Z2 ? Seriously all the flagships in 2014 is almost same as their 2013 flagship devices. Engineering precision of HTC One M8 attracted me more. especially the rounded corners of m8.
5. robert26101 (Posts: 106; Member since: 21 Mar 2014)
I'd say let's wait at least a month or two before we start predicting the down fall. And this is just North America. I bet it's doing a lot better over seas.
8. express77 (unregistered)
i am not happy with the camera again.
9. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
"We are not happy with the camera again"
16. janis (Posts: 293; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
i dont use cameras on phones, so i prefer better design.
10. Lt.Green (Posts: 397; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I haven't seen any convincing marketing on this phone since its launch. I have a feeling M8 sales will be as bad or even worse than the M7s just for that reason.
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Much worser than M7
Let's be honest you wouldn't see teenagers and OAP or users who wants an iPhone sized phone using or buying this huge phone....?
50. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
the m7's sales were actually really good.it was just eclipsed by the sales of the s4
14. jphillips63 (Posts: 218; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's all because of that stupid camera and 16 gig storage.
20. Leonis (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
The camera and size killed it for me. I had so much hope for this one. How hard can it be to put 13+ camera on that phone instead on 4mp????? I just don't understand how they could keep the 4mp. And just because of the size I will be waiting for sony z2 compact instead. Smaller with killer specs and with a great camera.
41. omaianu (unregistered)
In blind tests, the 4 MP camera on the M8 was very comparable to other phone cameras that were 8 MP or 13 MP. The MP count is really not that significant in terms of picture quality for a smartphone camera.
60. Leonis (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
M8 still ended in the bottom with moto x and nexus 5. phones like z2, s5, iphone 6 and g3 was not included. I am sure M8 would have ended up even further down if those phone were included.
You do see a big difference. The quality is not terrible but very behind some other flagship phones. For me the camera is one of the first thing I look up before I buy a phone.
62. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4274; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Here it actually was placed higher than the Note 3 and was within 20 votes (less than 1% higher) of the iPhone 5S, both of which are praised for their cameras.
21. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Both the M8 and S5 are nothing special especially if you own a Note 3 like me. Might be safe to say Apple is going to have the best year ever while taking a few Android customers. Just enough to gain markrt share but not enough to beat Android. Should be a very interesting year.
22. salmannaseer (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
Whoever wrote this is a fool. Or at least this article and it's statistics are. HTC One m7 wasn't even available last year within the first week. No phone has ever been. Except M8. Who are you kidding? Probably one of the other fake articles by Samsung just like the fake comments. It's time Samsung stop paying school kids to write fake reviews. Everyone who have used M8 is more than just happy with the results and it's the best phone of the year.
24. Dthawk (Posts: 42; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
If they had actually improved the camera, instead of tossing in gimmicks, it would be an easy sell!
31. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I will pass on the M8 like I did on the M7.
It is sweet love the build but,
I wish they'd stop rushing out early in the year with lower tier soc to get it out against SS.
It does not blow away my N5 800\330 either in performance, I like my camera better too so it comes down to build an looks. They are not worth 700 clams for a side grade.
As well as to see other smaller markets are getting tweaked version now, like Japan isn't it?
I'll be waiting for late in year Nexus thanks, it'll most likely come with 805 an 420 at half the price thanks to Google keeping it real.