HTC announces the Thunderbolt, Rhyme, and Incredible 2 to get ICS update
No timeline was supplied for the updates, and recent announcements by other manufacturers seem to push the update timeline backwards rather than forward. Still, it’s better to get a late upgrade than none at all, right?
Finally, HTC hinted that there may be more announcements to come, as their post concluded by saying, “Stay tuned for more news on Ice Cream Sandwich releases in the coming weeks.”
source: HTC via Droid-Life
1. KingKurogiii posted on 17 Feb 2012, 15:09 3 0
wow, that's good news. the Incredible 2 is a really tough phone to retire. xD
20. theindianguy posted on 18 Feb 2012, 02:35 0 0
HTC is the only company which updates most of its phones, 1 thing which made me choose the desire s. they even update the low tier phones. On the other hand, samsung doesnt even bother unless its the high tier galaxy.
2. MalakiMills posted on 17 Feb 2012, 15:55 4 0
HTC realizes they need to step their game up to compete with samsung, and in my mind they have always been better than motorola and LG, but hey, that's just me. Maybe this year will be a much needed turn around for them.
4. Yankchef posted on 17 Feb 2012, 16:24 3 0
Its good to see single core devices getting upgraded to ics... This to me is a big plus for htc along with the bootloader unlocks. If they went back as far as the evo i would bump htc way up on potential upgrade for my next device. Still upgrading devices like that definitely puts them ahead of motorola and samsung for sure
10. Cwebb posted on 17 Feb 2012, 19:46 2 0
If you want a device with unlock bootloader and upgrades, Nexus and HTC are the only ways to go. They care about their customers almost as much as their bottom line, which I can't say about phone makers like crapsung
5. solidsnakeduds013 posted on 17 Feb 2012, 16:52 3 0
Wow how did the thunderbolt get ics before the bionic?
27. firelightx posted on 19 Feb 2012, 09:11 1 1
Because.... HTC is a better company than motorola, especially when it comes to software updates?
6. NateAdam8 posted on 17 Feb 2012, 17:29 0 5
All I know is I've been big on HTC cause of my HTC MyTouch 4G Slide but I've heard that HTC won't be releasing the new Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update's to it, If that's the case I'll be switching to Samsung for sure.
7. theBankRobber posted on 17 Feb 2012, 17:36 1 0
Now thunderbolt users can sit down, relax, and wait for the update to come in around 3-7 months. Lol It would amaze me if the Original Incredible and Evo get ICS. Gingerbread almost killed Sense on the Evo, made it smooth but the constant Sense crashing drove me crazy.
8. JasonLegend00 posted on 17 Feb 2012, 17:51 2 0
They made the right decision to let it out on Verizons first 4G phone!
9. codymws posted on 17 Feb 2012, 17:54 4 0
NOT FAIR!!! It was between the Thunderbolt and the Droid Charge when I was buying my phone, and of course I went with the Charge.
11. Cwebb posted on 17 Feb 2012, 19:52 0 0
I hope you learned a lesson from this: Never buy a crapsung phone. Unless its a galaxy that has been road tested, is going to get the next upgrade for sure with an official timeline, top of the line specs, and no bugs. Otherwise your screwed
12. Cwebb posted on 17 Feb 2012, 19:53 0 0
Hopefully that announcement will include a timeline for the other already official upgrades? Like, I don't know, the Evo 3D?
13. parkwaydr posted on 17 Feb 2012, 20:09 0 0
I don't see why they would have a problem with that, the tb and the og EVO are pretty much the same phone spec wise, so HTC could realistically dish out ICS to both the EVO and 3d
14. CuttingEdge11 posted on 17 Feb 2012, 21:33 0 0
EVO 3D is getting the upgrade, but I would be suprised if the og EVO gets the update... I sure as hell hope so though, I've only had mine for a year. The only reason i would doubt it is that htc couldn't seem to get a newer version of sense on it anyway..
18. Cwebb posted on 17 Feb 2012, 23:52 0 0
If the TB can get it the OG can. I imagine if they say its not getting it there would be a Samsung Galaxy S1 like react to it because a lot of people got the OG Evo and still have it for over 1/3 of a year minimum. And I know the 3D IS getting it, I just would like to know when
21. parkwaydr posted on 18 Feb 2012, 09:54 0 0
Well I have mine till November and I would love some ICS goodness I hope Sprint grabs some new HTC by then I really wanna stick with them when I upgrade my wife bought this phone brand new then gave it to me when I bought her the s2 for Valentines day and we have not had one prob with this phone since we bought it which is something I can't say say for any other phone I've ever owned
22. Cwebb posted on 18 Feb 2012, 11:53 0 0
HTC will definitely put out a new high-end Evo by November. I guarantee it (Men's Warehouse style)
24. KingKurogiii posted on 18 Feb 2012, 20:08 0 0
you get the Rhyme with the dock, a decent pair of headphones, & the unique notification charm for $150. for the targeted market for this phone which is women that dgaf about anything but style this isn't a bad deal.
25. thelegend6657 posted on 18 Feb 2012, 21:37 0 0
the problem is , do i need those and i live in asia so i buy unlocked
26. KingKurogiii posted on 18 Feb 2012, 21:59 0 0
well then this isn't for you. you would just want to get a Droid Incredible 2 as a direct alternative.
28. firelightx posted on 19 Feb 2012, 09:14 0 0
It's not about sales, it's about backing up your product and keeping to your promises.
16. jibraihimi posted on 17 Feb 2012, 22:59 2 0
Now what excuse samsung can give for not upgrading Galaxy S........????
19. Cwebb posted on 17 Feb 2012, 23:52 0 1
We're crapsung and we only care about making money?
29. CRICKETownz posted on 20 Feb 2012, 07:32 0 0
welcome to software issues galore i.e. ICS on these dated devices.
30. willywill_evo posted on 20 Feb 2012, 09:02 0 0
I dont know about the ICS update for my thunderbolt it work %100 fine...Im not goin back to all those problem