HTC ThunderBolt is officially Verizon's first LTE handset, come March 17th
0. phoneArena posted on 15 Mar 2011, 08:51
Here we have it - the first phone to take advantage of Verizon's expansive 4G LTE network ushers us in a new era, where waiting for pages to download, or hiccups while streaming high-quality video to our handsets should be a thing of the past...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Hallucinator posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:01 1 1
I just switched from the Iphone back to the Droid X. This phone doesn't do much for me. Just a slightly better Evo. I'm more excited about the next round of phones. Bionic, Iphone 5 and lets see some WP7 phones on Verizon.
52. Napoleon posted on 15 Mar 2011, 20:34 0 0
Still wish it also came with the option for HDMI...
54. Lucas777 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 20:51 1 0
I agree... not dual core and horrible res on a 4.3... even moto did better.
2. mike (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:09 1 0
Isn't the 17th a Thursday and not a Friday??
7. pat (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:38 1 0
Yes, its Thursday.
71. cg (unregistered) posted on 16 Mar 2011, 20:11 0 0
verizon always releases phones on thursdays
3. ThunderboltHasArrived (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:15 1 1
I would like to know where Verizon announced, because I don't see it. I am really looking forward to getting this device, so I hope it comes out on Friday.
12. techee44 (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:00 0 0
http://news.vzw.com/ It's the first story, and that's their official newsfeed.
4. ayephoner posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:23 1 0
no extra for 4G data plans??
are they still running the limited time, unlimited data??
9. ayephoner posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:46 1 0
just saw the article. 4G unlimited for $30/mo. nice.
50. PapaJay224 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 19:45 0 0
As i predicted - and phone arena insisted other wise
5. Droid General (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:29 1 0
I can't wait to get rid of my X, I after going to the HTC Event for my company I'm convinced htc has the right formula to compete with any 4g phone, and its definitely not an evo. The second gen. 8mp Camera, chipset, and sense 2.0 make this phone complete. It has 3 different keyboards, skype integrated into your contacts, etc, I could go on on.
6. Ed (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:32 1 0
Not to rain on your snark-parade, PA, but good luck getting any warranty-related help with a phone you bought from Wirefly. The cheaper initial price only looks good the first time. Trust me.
8. thunderboltwaiting (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:43 4 2
Finally, Verizon Wireless will not take down that damn Iphone, the phone that changed everything splash screen and put something else up there, and disable the order Iphone feature when you log in to myverizon.com. I am so sick of it. If I wanted the Iphone, I would have went to ATT four years ago, or I would have been one of millions fools on vw to pre-order it. So take down that iphone splash screen and put another phone up there or something.
10. DROIDX0430 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:46 2 0
Yes, I thought I was the only one feeling the pain comment #8.
11. DROIDX0430 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 09:48 1 2
where. post link. where is the official verizon wireless announcement. phonearena is not official. they have been announcing since Feb 14
13. asdf (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:05 1 0
not that hard to search man. if they say official, easiest thing to do is check verizon directly: http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/
14. DROIDFREAK (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:09 0 5
Where is this OFFICIAL VERIZON WIRELESS ANNOUNCEMENT??? Nothing posted on Verizon or HTC web page, and have not received either a phone call or an e-mail from either which I signed up to receive upon release of T-Bolt..... MORE PROPAGANDA???
22. seriously? (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:59 3 0
bother to read any of the other comments? it's right above your post.
30. DROIDFREAK (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 12:14 0 6
yeah, after i posted you moron.... can you tell tiime or are you just a guru of information!! Must be a PROUD iphone owner... BA BA BA you sheep...!!!
31. seriously? (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 12:54 3 0
you really are an idiot. you really post without reading any of the other comments to see if other people may have asked the same question or if your question may be answered already?
33. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 15 Mar 2011, 13:06 0 0
what do you expect from someone named DROIDFREAK? clearly his IQ is in the decimal range. dont be so hard on the special little guy. he has to resort to bashing iphone users because hes too insecure about his unreliable droid and is overwhelmed with jealousy. must be rough being that stupid.
37. DROIDFREAK (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 15:37 0 3
Bow to the APPLE MASTER you puppet.... seeing as how you probably have the Iphone 4 which ALREADY is obsolete.... JACKASS
38. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 15 Mar 2011, 15:55 2 0
Right....an iphone. Hope you didnt hurt yourself coming up with that original gem.
Clearly unlike most sheep on this site, some of us can look beyond what Apple and Google deem cool. (Iphone & Droid). I wont bash you for your lack of insight though. Not everyone is born with the ability to think for themselves. Your a prime example.
Nice try though.
36. DROIDFREAK (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 15:33 0 2
Some of us GROWN UPS have real jobs and dont play on our phones or computers all day.. either way, thanks for the link. I'll be sure to take your advice in the future.
15. Cadeem (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:09 0 3
as far as im concerned friday is the 18th so get it together phonearena
16. kjh (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:10 1 0
Verizon has confirmed the release date! I received the email from my Verizon Rep this morning! I will be getting a new phone in Thursday finally!
17. quityourcomplaining (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:15 1 0
Everyone needs to just relax. Verizon has sent the press release and the link is posted in the comments. I wish people would read the comments instead of immediately screaming bs.
18. johngalt posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:35 0 0
Yep-They are showing up in my "incoming inventory"---so they are finally going to be here
19. derp (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:37 2 1
20. Beaker (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:38 2 1
Yet another unoriginal release from HTC.
21. quityourcomplaining (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 10:43 3 1
Unoriginal? I guess you're right. WAYYYYYY behind all the other LTE smartphones. ?
23. CRICKETownz posted on 15 Mar 2011, 11:09 2 2
i'll pass...its just an EVO for Verizon honestly. almost identical specs and made by the same manufacturer. i'll see what LTE-goodness is available next year...hopefully a decent WP7 option.
27. Allday28 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 11:53 4 1
Yeah a 2200 quadrant score vs 1100 of the evo, better screen,40 gb of memory,new HTC sense layout, better camera. You sir are an idoit! Thats seems like a whole different phone to me...
28. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 15 Mar 2011, 12:10 2 5
then either your an idiot or just blind. its the same damn phone with an LTE radio.
34. Allday28 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 13:27 2 2
Hahahaah! Apparently you are to. Or you dont know how to read!!!
42. kocho (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 16:21 1 1
Agree with Allday28. There are some dumb people that comment here.
It's a similar phone, but there are clear differences.
39. CRICKETownz posted on 15 Mar 2011, 15:58 2 4
@Allday28 - im an idiot b/c I'm not as excited about the phone as you are? Wow...ppl on this site are narrow-minded. Same shell as EVO, same screen size, same manufacturer, 4G connectivity, minor updated features. You clowns scream that Apple is robbing its customer base for releasing new iterations of an iPhone with minor tweaks but isnt this the same situation? So yes...this is virtually the same phone. Looks like the sheep are playing on the Android side of the fence this time around. Anything that I typed that doesnt make sense (HTC) you dirt bag? Looks to be a pretty compelling argument to me...I'll be happy to see anyones explanation to how this phone is not an EVO refresh...enlighten me to how it is so much different.
48. Allday28 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 19:01 1 1
I never said I was excited you douche bag! You want to compare a phone to the EVO than go compare the Inspire to it not the thunderbolt. They may look similar but are completely different on the inside. Its kind of like me buying a cheap ass laptop and gutting it and putting some bad ass hardware in it they may look the same but are completely different!!!
64. snowgator posted on 16 Mar 2011, 04:18 0 0
Actually, you do have some solid points there, especially the analogy to the large portion of people who just trash the iPhone to trash the iPhone. But HTC puts out many devices in a year, so some of them will bear a resemblance to other devices,it is just unavoidable. The T-Bolt is a good addition to Verizon. It does have enough improvements to stand on its' own from the EVO, and with the success that HTC has had on Sprint, is it really that offensive that they would pattern this CDMA device after that one?
24. kory (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 11:10 0 0
My question is if the data will go up when it goes to tiered later int he year, because if it does I'm waiting it out with my Pre for a 3g phone, also will Netflix be on it? I heard netflix is supposed to be on the phones with the new snapdragons when they come out . Oh yeah, WHEN WILL WE GET 4G in BUFFALO!
57. CRICKETownz posted on 15 Mar 2011, 23:29 0 0
the plans are going to be the same as the 3G data plans. Netflix hasn't finished an app for Android yet, claiming its b/c of all of Androids fragmentation with diff. software versions.
62. kory (unregistered) posted on 16 Mar 2011, 01:24 0 0
Not true, Verizon is planning on making data tiered later in the year. They said by mid summer. I want to be grandfathered in for later upgrades. I just don't want to have to switch to tier when everyone else is. Honestly its the only reason I'm not sticking it out for the Bionic, I have a feeling thats when they are going to pull the unlimited for 4g. Do you have an article on the netflix? Everything I saw points to the Revolution and Thunderbolt having it due to the fact that they said it should work with the newer processors.
25. snowgator posted on 15 Mar 2011, 11:40 1 0
I am glad it has a date. Just as excited as I am for those looking for a upgrade on Verizon. Not sure it is "just anEvo", sounds like an improved version. Besides, not like Verizon customers have an Evo to choose from. Steep price though, in my humble, unimportant opinion.
32. CNachoz (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 13:03 0 0
Great phone. Specs are def up there. i just hate the fact that the back of the phone looks so...how do i say it...stone age? I think i'll wait it out for the Bionic or something else...
35. jj0n3z posted on 15 Mar 2011, 14:09 0 0
Im Definetly Gettn This Next Week When I Get Paid Saturday!!!
40. verizonthunderbolt (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 16:06 0 2
htc thunderbolt is not comming out on the 17th. who's saying all this bulls---t .just ask around call verizonwireless or bestbuy.by the time that phone comes out the 4g network should be running. they are fixing the 4g to work with the 4g phones right know it only works with the data cards . maybe late this month or April.
44. icepikk posted on 15 Mar 2011, 17:20 0 0
Uh actuallly it is coming out sir. I dont have to call around or any of that because I sell Verizon and the phone is indeed going to be out Thursday the 17th. Your source is calling around to stores that probably are told to not mention it yet or maybe havent read the memo yet that says it will. I know that unless I know for sure or have read it internally I would say it wasnt coming out too but I got a memo AND have it listed in my inventory to be shipped and be here tomorrow, ready for thursday.
45. VZtech (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 17:21 1 0
Sorry to burst your bubble...But our powers that be sent us email confirmation this morning that it is coming out this Thursday. Just what we need. Another zillion Android phones to fix.
41. luis_lopez_351 posted on 15 Mar 2011, 16:07 0 0
this is horrible horrible horrible...this is not what i order mister. Oh about the phone...sweet!!!
46. andy (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 18:40 0 2
does the this phone got a dual proceesor?
47. Fred (unregistered) posted on 15 Mar 2011, 18:55 0 0
How is this phone different from the EVO? WELL, it is on Verizon. That may not seem like much unless you are a Verizon customer. I am a Verizon customer so it is relavent to me. It may otherwise be identical to the EVO...but I was never eligible for an EVO so now this is significant.
Do people think before they open their mouthes?
65. NONONO (unregistered) posted on 16 Mar 2011, 08:38 0 0
it is not an EVO , it is much faster. better processor, more memory.
49. DaveDaDude posted on 15 Mar 2011, 19:17 0 0
I don't understand all the comments bashing this phone. If you don't want or like this phone, just keep on moving right pass the article. Does it make you feel better about yourself to come on here and post a negative comment about something that you could never in your wildest dreams invent? I am one of the few people that actually wants this phone and have been patiently awaiting its arrival, so I will be getting one. Oh and to those that say its just an EVO refresh, that may be true, but as earlier stated, the EVO was never available for Verizon so this is brand spanking new to me!
51. snowgator posted on 15 Mar 2011, 20:28 0 0
I ain't getting either. Wasn't there post after post from everyone how they needed to get this phone out, we need a release date, I am gonna die with out it? It is gonna get released after Verizon and/or HTC work the bugs out, now every one hates it? It looks like the EVO, who cares how different the specs are, it isn't any good? When did such large group of people on this site loose their freaking minds? Not like anyone is gonna talk someone out of trying this phone out because they vented some 6th grade insult on a thread on Phone Arena. If you think it is over rated, or have a reason to not buy it, state your case, we will listen. Start trying to scream and throw yourself on the floor crying, you have lost all credibility.
55. BigDog posted on 15 Mar 2011, 21:46 1 0
Listen, to all those usure of the HTC Thunderbolt release date. The date is official for 03/17/2011. The link ishttp://news.vzw.com/news/2011/
03/pr2011-03-14u.htmlThe news came from VZW and HTC earlier today. Its not loaded to the site yet because there not finished putting it up and until the site is up, it will not be on HTC site. I know this for a fact because I work for Big Red:)
PS, I would never be stupid enough to risk my Job over information that is not yet available to the public so there you have it.