HTC Sense 5.0 seen running on a Droid DNA, more screenshots appear
0. phoneArena 22 Jan 2013, 06:00 posted on
Sense 5.0 looks cleaner, and the 3D shenanigans like the pull ring seem gone, while the weather and other widgets have received a more minimalistic look, just like we saw yesterday. This has left more space on the homescreen for your app icons and additional widgets, and there are rectangular ones for news and social networking updates...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Firedrops (Posts: 215; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
First one really reminds me of live tiles
Also, they FINALLY let us customize the stock dock from that ugly rounded rectangle.
14. MeoCao (unregistered)
Stop trying to be different only in the look
users need real difference: cool functionalities.
For a different look? launchers are enough.
51. AWiseGuy (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Yup. This is why I don't complain about skins as far as the look goes. Of course, they do delay updates (I wish manufacturers would release a "clean" version of Android and a skinned one for each phone and let the users decide individually). However, the look shouldn't be a concern with the proper launcher/lockscreen combo.
27. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Bad thing there is live tiles are proving one of the biggest turn offs for customers,vast majority of customers dislike them and windows phone sales have suffered agonisingly over it.
With an upgrade due I'm open minded this year weither to go for the s4,note 3,xperia z,or whatever htcs offerings might be. If the new sense ends up like this htc might be late off the starting block for me,although if the hardware and design are excellent a custom launcher could always replace sense 5.0
36. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
or you could just flash and custom rom,
42. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Where are you reading that Live Tiles are turning people off? That's honestly the first I've heard of it and I work at a cell phone company. The single biggest complaint I've heard with WP is the lack of apps...
52. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1087; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Sense 5 looks good enough but why arre the dock icons so cartoonish?
32. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
I am gonna buy ip5 because of bad design of new android phones
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8674; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You're saying the Nexus 4, Sony Xperia Z and HTC Droid DNA have bad designs? Have fun using a phone with the same design for the past three generations.
49. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
And same UI design for the past FIVE generations.
3. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1353; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
they got rid of the HTC clock and used HD widgets instead...how could they
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 1441; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Yeah, that was one of the many reasons I liked sense. What is happening now with sense 5.0? I still want the old version of sense for example the sensation(with those spinning carousel when you switch between homescreens and other 3d animations and eye candy icons)
20. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4188; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Hey don't knock it till you try it. You never know, it might actually be very pleasing in motion. Let's ust see how this plays out.
22. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4188; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yeah it was cool for the first day or so then it really lost it's luster. I remember that from the HTC Evo 3D days. lol
23. Tones (Posts: 52; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I installed a mod to stop it from happening. just wanting to change from one screen to another, but if you swiped a little too hard the caroussel kicked in and you have to wait for it to stop spinning, so you could then change screen.
34. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
thats why i still use a sense 3.5 rom on my phone :)
4. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Very subtle and elegant.
Again, seems to have live tile-styled Widgets too.. just way nicer looking
7. Retro-touch (Posts: 261; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
After 5 iterations they haven't realized that battery percentage would be useful, they had toggles in status bar and removed it for some dumb reason, Sense still sucks balls, at least Touchwiz gets more useful and versatile with time
9. jan25 (Posts: 407; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
looks sleek, question is how does it perform?
46. Charlie_boy (Posts: 62; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
same question here.. I hope HTC made some performace optimizations.
Sense 4 was a real RAM hog...
I like the minimalist-like approach of the leaked Sense.. I hope RAM consumption is at t minimum too.
10. takay0 (Posts: 144; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
i used HTC phone just because the sense! now... im thinkin to be with samsung =\ what the hell is that?! where is the style.. the elegant... the beautiful UI?!
i dont want it nice and clean if this what they meant for!... i ahte samsung UI ans iphone UI ... they all look like a toy.. not something elegant and nice lookin...
12. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1353; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
the new Sense 5 looks like ICS icons spray painted in matte white and steam ironed ..we are going to miss the Greatness of Sense ,
24. Retro-touch (Posts: 261; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Sense 4+ on One X is a joke, can't even open more than one tab at a time, just a waste, can thumb me down, but HTC financials speak for themselves, FAIL!!!! The screen and build quality are awesome, thank god for CM10 and AOKP
37. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
sense 4.1 and asense 4+ are different things...
sense 4.1 is based on ICS
sense 4+ is based on JB
15. T12RYK (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
Not the Clock Widget!!!!! I loved that about HTC
18. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1353; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
i guess the 4+ version of sense and the one x were the last two greatest HTC products
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
wow....did u really? i swore to myself as soon as i got my droid incredible (which i sold now) that i would TAKE DOWN THOSE LARGE CLOCKS! lol they took up way too much space for me...
28. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
you can easily get sense clock widgets on the play store in countless shapes and forms
44. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1613; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yes, but they are not the same, I like the flip motion and the others look off
43. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1613; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I know WTF, I love that clock. HTC, why has thou forsaken me?
47. Charlie_boy (Posts: 62; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
yeah.. the clock widget was really iconic for its time..
hope they still have it.
16. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
go ahead and buy XPERIA Z - It has an awesome , stylish yer feature filled UI. New UI is ultra smooth too :)
17. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
sense 5.0.......the mixing of windows and android........get a grip people this is for EVERYBODY not just people like us geeks looking for a complex ui
25. ahhxd717 (Posts: 319; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I swear, people will always hate on Sense regardless of what they do to it. First everyone jut complains its too laggy. That's gone, and everyone still says it hasn't changed since version 1 and its dated with its old icons (as well needing to be simplified). They do that and now its "ugly" and still not functional, when nobody's even used it yet. I just don't get it. I liked Sense 4 and Sense 5 still looks good to me. Definitely better looking than touchwiz, as always.
26. jed27 (Posts: 65; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
I actually like it. Except for the font and the on/off toggle.
29. AfterShock (Posts: 2812; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I believe first few are comparison shots.
I thought the same at first.
buddy changed his post, ill leave mine as it was meant.
48. Charlie_boy (Posts: 62; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
I believe pics 3 and 4 are side by side comparison..
If that's the case, good by ring.. how are we gonna unlock an htc phone? :p
30. jed27 (Posts: 65; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
and they should also increase the rosie to at least 5x7, a 4.5" to 5" screen is too small for a 4x4 rosie. Oh well, Apex does the job just fine, especially when paired with DCikonZ! :)
31. AfterShock (Posts: 2812; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Agreed, increase row count on home screen please.
38. najariner (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
the hell is this ugly sh**!!!!sense 4 looked beautiful except the lag.WTF htc!!!
39. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Mixed feeling... loved the flip clock, but this new clock gives the home screen more space.
40. android78 (unregistered)
Please HTC don't get rid of the HTC flip clock. Thats my favorite feature of htc sense, if it ain't broke don't fix it. HTC phones needed a bigger, longer lasting battery and a slot for sd card expansion. Release the same version of the phone on every carrier and release different color option like htc did in japan with the j butterfly. if i want the windown 8 live tile experience i would buy the htc 8x. Looks like my rezound and DNA will be last htc phones in my stable of android phones.
41. MattAdorno (Posts: 19; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
I don't really like it - I thought the Sense 4.x was a good blend of pleasant visuals and simplicity; plus it very unique look.
This kinda reminds me of Samsung, where there widgets are just in a square off box - only completely colorless and even more boring.
45. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1613; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Not sure how I feel about this. Will it unlock like touchwiz now, or do you have to slide that tiny lock icon?
50. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1613; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
HAHA! Looks like I have a hater. You're pathetic!