HTC One with stock Android is not happening
0. phoneArena 15 May 2013, 22:28 posted on
During the opening day of the Google I/O developer conference on Wednesday, a special edition of the Samsung Galaxy S4 was introduced; powered by stock Android 4.2.2, and sans the manufacturer's TouchWiz, this variant of the flagship Android handset will be priced at $649 from the Google Play Store. So does this mean we might see a (pardon the pun) Sense-less version of the HTC One?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. mydi.maus (unregistered)
GOOGLE STOCK ANDROID GALAXY S4 sorry HTC ONE..
61. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
theres a reason why apple partnered with samsung in the past. samsung is the best
there's a reason why google continues to partner with samsung despite there differences.... they are the best.
there's also a reason why google chose lg for the nexus 4. they are the second best
in other words... no one's going to give a damn that the one never got stock android because well who cares
76. lyndon420 (Posts: 3032; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I care. Stop speaking for the rest of us please.
64. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
sorry, but wake up:
"Apple censores your personal emails!"
"iPhones most vulnerable among smartphones"
"Quarter of iPhones have a broken screen, poll says"
"Foxconn's iPhone 5 devices fall below agreed standards"
"Class action lawsuit claims iPhone 4 has defective power button nearly three years after its launch"
"Apple iOS Apps Leak More Personal Info Than Android".
"40% of iOS popular apps invade your privacy without any permission."
"Italy fines Apple $1.2 million over AppleCare practices."
"FBI files: STEVE JOBS was a lying, power hungry, mad man"
wake up, such a rotten company is no one except Apple and Microsoft :)
67. SherlockHolmes (Posts: 125; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Google representative told that they know that Samsung S4 with Stock Android is not going to sell well !!
But they did this to have good relationship with Samsung !!
69. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
I dont think Samsung desires for Google Edition = unable to sell eg. Samsung products via Samsung apps into their pocket.
just a courtesy of Samsung to Google I presume.....but a great gift for half geeks and geeks! :)
70. ithinkimjoe (Posts: 25; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
So, samsung never does any wrong? guess you only see 1 side of issues that happen.
And Samsung is becoming an Apple copy, whether you like it or not.
82. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
So for you 1=1000000? ;-)
Apple is probably the most rotten company in IT
3. alltechinside (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Kinda sad but I can sorta understand. It would be kinda strange for HTC to sell a developer version (with Sense) and another One (no pun intended) with stock Android in it.
After all the Galaxy S4 with Stock Android is meant for developers.
53. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
S4 with stock "meant for developers "? ? ? say that again... this time with sand in your mouth! ... Stock Android is way better than Touchwiz or Sense, all that these two do is slow down the impressive hardware.
66. SherlockHolmes (Posts: 125; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Htc One does not lag !!
In fact S4 lags with TouchWiz thats what I read on some sites !!
4. itsjustJOH (Posts: 187; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
To be honest, S4 was the safest bet. Overall best Android smartphone to date with little compromises (not if you're really disgusted with the design), no wonder Google chose the phone.
8. itsjustJOH (Posts: 187; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Wow, do we have an automatic thumbs downer here every time someone praises Samsung?
33. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
You should see what happens when you talk negatively about a Nokia...
45. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL.......Even to think about talking negatively about Nokia gives you 10 red thumbs. Dont wanna see know when someone actually does xD
63. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 937; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Exactly, Google went for a device they knew would be in high demand, a formula that works, the Galaxy S brand. If this does well maybe we will see the Nexus brand going out and Google simply using popular devices. It would be nice to see a stock Android HTC One though, as much as I like my GS4, the HTC One has a lot of appeal, something about that two tone look and aluminum design.
74. nyuhsuk (Posts: 12; Member since: 28 Sep 2009)
The thing I don't understand is Google has a staunch stand against SD cards but went with the phone that has one in it, defeating its argument for not having them in Nexus and now, Nexus-like devices. HTC's latest creation would have fit the bill in that detail.
78. lonehawk2k4 (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
i agree that the s4 was the safest choice since its cheaply made thanks to economy of scale so great margins for both google and samsung, selling out like hot cakes so a good market spread, and gives buyers considering a samsung phone a choice between touchwiz and stock android if theyre looking to get a s4
5. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it doesn't matter. the One is unlockable so you'll be able to flash CM10.1 or whatever same as you'd probably do on any "Google Edition" device. crackflashers don't care what the phones come with as long as it's unlockable and the development is going steady for it.
29. Shubham412302 (Posts: 356; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
you loose your warranty when you unlock your boot loader.
so no thanks.
whereas s4 comes with unlocked boot loader.
even if you have normal s4 you can flash cm without voiding warranty
you can claim warranty by flashing stock rom
34. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
In the world of people who actually flash roms, the warranty isn't an issue. People who flash ROMs typically don't care about their warranty anyway.
35. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I just realized I worded that redundantly as hell
42. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
in reality that's more of a scare tactic.
customer support and the people that handle warranty claims usually aren't sticklers about that kind of thing if they even notice it. just flash back to stock and re-lock if you ever have to make a claim. hasn't stopped me yet.
54. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
customers are gullible .. when they say 'void warranty' they hide under their beds scared silly. like you said.. just relock it when u need to take it for repairs.
71. ithinkimjoe (Posts: 25; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
and who do you think is going to warranty repair this phone? Google? Do they even have a working customer service department?
72. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
That is the biggest lie ever, i have an HTC phone with the bootloader unlocked through HTC dev and no it doesn't void my warranty, even mike the creater of Android Revolution has a post on his blog about this.
39. jromy (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
You're missing the point, now you have a Nexus device with expandable memory and remobable battery. At least for me those were the only things stopping me from buying a Nexus.
43. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's pretty absurd to suggest that people will pay twice as much money to have either or both of those things especially the people that know Motorola is about to come out of the bag with something.
47. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Its not only about expandable/bigger battery and removable SD card. GS4 also has cutting edge specs unlike Nexus 4 to mention few FHD Amoled screen, new powerful processor, way better camera, etc.
52. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
my original point still stands. the N4 still has an impressive spec sheet. the S4 is completely out-valued by the N4 and don't forget that Samsung's software isn't at work on the camera. it's just a difference in MP between the two.
6. dorianb (Posts: 552; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
11. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 745; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The story isnt complete.
One of the htc employees tweeted "so you can pay $649 for a piece of plastic running stock or..... you can wait"
That pushed HtC to give a statement that htc one google ed will not happen..
Anyway i dont like the tweet, sounds like shes fighting
26. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
an executive at htc already denied it
57. kozza3 (Posts: 637; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
look carefully at what they denied
"HTC is not currently planning a ‘Nexus Edition’ of the HTC One"
pay attention to
'Nexus Edition of the HTC One'
What if they are planning an entire new 'Nexus Phone'?????
65. catt4u (Posts: 90; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
HTC ain't even capable of supplying enough One devices due to part shortages so what do you think would happen if they should be the preferred manufacturer to build the next Nexus?
It's not gonna happen for HTC.
Google needs reliable partners who can deliver sufficient quantities needed in short time.
Samsung is the only manufacturer capable of doning so.
13. Omar-BHR95 (Posts: 184; Member since: 23 Dec 2012)
HTC One or Sony Xperia Z should get CAUSE THEY HAVE INNOVATION
17. wendygarett (unregistered)
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
An innovation that Samsung don't have.
23. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
go on list them.
oh wait, you cant
27. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 745; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Water resistance? Lol
Dual speakers ×
30. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 745; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Sense 5 smoothness ★
68. catt4u (Posts: 90; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
This summer Samsung will launch a dust/water resistent version of the S4.
Who needs Blinkfeed?
It only takes away a homescreen you can't change with content in different languages :(
Ultrapixels are useless unless you only take pictures in low light conditions and even than the Nokia Lumia 925 does a far better job!
Dual speakers are a nice gimmick, but when I want to listen to music and have good sound with great bass I'll use my headset ;)
Rest the far from perfect finish from the phone itself:
So please don't say HTC should be the manufacturer for the next Nexus.
See my comment about the finish of the phone.
Sense5 doesn't even come close to TW on the S4 and is a non-issue for a Nexus device.
28. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
HTC One - Blinkfeed, Boomsound, Ultrapixels.
Sony Xperia Z - Water Resistant, Dust resistant.
There, happy now?
31. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 745; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Blinkfeed is just a combination of timescape of Sony, News Wall of sammy, Flipboard, and widget factors..
Boomsound-i still dont know the difference between note10.1 and that htc one dual speakers
Ip57 is not an innovation
48. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Blinkfeeed-how is that exactly innovation?
Boom sound-really...what is so special between them and any other speakers...even Nokia lumia 925 beats it!
Ultra pixel- only innovation if it worked well...ultra pixels is beaten by almost everyone!
Water resistant and dust resistant-innovation is only innovation if your the first one to do it!
50. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Blinkfeed is almost like Flipboard so no innovation there.
Boomsound is very unique and truly is the only innovation in HTC One.
Ultrapixel is just a fancy word for megapixel. Their camera is not at all that good. Remember PA's blind test in which they stood on 4th position of 6 devices ?
GS4 Active which is about to launch will consist Water and Dust resistance so.....
But truly the reason I think Google went with GS4 and not with HTC One is because they didnt want to stumble over another supply shortage with HTC One which they've experienced with LG for Nexus 4. HTC One had terrible supply issues because of their camera which you might already know.
59. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Sony have AOSP project directly from Google and the FXP team on XDA
14. darkvadervip (Posts: 365; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Well you guys miss the point! I got the unlocked htc one and love it. Besides I had the sg4 first and it's very true that it over heats to darn fast and makes your screen heat up also. So before you talk sure you can say there selling like hot cakes but nearly 75% are having the over heating issue. The htc hasn't got hot on me yet or force closed like the sg4 does.
18. wendygarett (unregistered)
Stop making the false statement troll!!!
36. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Nearly 75%? Can you post a source? I'm not trolling I'm just interested in seeing the report.
19. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's okay, even though HTC will not make a stock Android HTC One, but we can still be able to flash CyanogenMod 10 on it. And so, there you have it, a HTC One with stock Android is ready to use!
24. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
enjoy your bugs, instability and terrible battery life