HTC One vs iPhone 5 drop test results in broken glass, shattered dreams
0. phoneArena 28 Mar 2013, 05:13 posted on
Today's high-end smartphones are fragile creatures, regardless of whether they're made of metal or plastic. Usually a drop or two onto a hard surface result in damage that can't be undone, unless repaired by a professional. Yet some handsets fare better when it comes to accidental drops. Is the metal-made HTC One among them?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. AnTuTu (Posts: 1057; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Samsung's unbreakable or flexible display will answer that.
23. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
No thanks I'd rather take my chances with my glass display breaking than walk around with a phone with a plastic screen! And I'm sure glass will still feel better most people don't even like using screen protectors because how it changes the feel
39. ebubekir26 (Posts: 312; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
plastic screen ? wtf are you talking about ?
51. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
The Samsung flexible durable screen will be made of PLASTIC just Google it.. Just like some cheep tv screens are plastic! U must of missed ces.. I will never buy a phone with a plastic display then the entire samsung phone will be plastic lol and if u drop it on its screen it will still scratch.
58. Taters (Posts: 3742; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am sure they won't release flexible touch screens until they can make it feel like glass. In fact, Gorilla Glass shares more characteristics with plastic than it does with plain window glass.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No cell phone glass will be unbreakable dude. Wake up man.
9. doejon (Posts: 385; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
better buy the s4 u can change the backcover ;-) and i hope that the droptest with the s4 is better than the s3
77. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
When will companies realize gorrila glass sucks... IDC how thin it is make it not break.
82. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
When will people stop being careless? Nothing is indestructable and the way people use their technology, physical medias, vehicles, and such leaves much to desire. Sure their is normal wear and tear, however their is again stupidty and carelessness. I have seen so many screen with spider web cracks, scratched up optical medias, and such.
88. kobainez (Posts: 310; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Its shatterproof sheet dumbass! Not scratch-proof sheet!
24. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Gorrila glass 3 is not well built!
Dragontail glass are better then G3
Sapphire glass the king
41. preet27in (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
hahahaha jelepus idiots dont know, the bigger the screen more chances to break. lets c what sammy got. htc is the best cheers. and btw no IDIOT WILL THROW HIS PHONE ON SCREEN SIDE . SO CHEERSSS
43. HouTexan (Posts: 345; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Then why is there a ton of people walking around with shattered screens?
67. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1682; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Please define "a ton" also the few shattered screens ive seen...all iPhones
78. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Yup every shatterd screen I've seen is iphone and HTC, I have seen a few s3s with hairline cracks though.
83. heyhi (Posts: 128; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
how about Polycarbonate now?? bla bla plastic phone...that beautiful designed with prime material doesnt seem so beautiful right now...crushed!! and they will say or think "oh, im gonna use a case, so it will never happen"...if they are gonna use it with a case, how they are gonna flash their beautiful phone?
85. heyhi (Posts: 128; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
and after the first drop the speaker's cover just pops out?? thats the build quality?? or the speaker is removable and not the battery maybe?? i guess that unibody is not no "uni".
87. Dynamac (Posts: 21; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
What the hell is the point of these drop tests other than to destroy two perfectly fine phones. Some kids just have too much time and too little respect for the awesome things we are blessed with.
No two drops are identical and hence unless you reproduce the test 100 times and taken an average, it proofs nothing. Just stupid.....
2. AnTuTu (Posts: 1057; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Sammy's unbreakable or flexible display will answer that.
12. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Lol? The S3 lost to the iPhone 5? And the S4 isn't much different, I wouldn't expect different results this year.
14. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
S4 has Gorilla Glass 3 and the sides of S4 have actual metal this time unlike with S3 which had metal finish ! So it will definetly better than S3
and BTW what does 'lol?' mean. You are laughing out loud in interrogative way ? How do you do that ?
16. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Don't be smart, Android fanboys claim everyone is the worst and as soon they have anything negative put against them they dislike, no thought. Android fanboys were cool and fair and fair thinking years ago ... not anymore. I know the more dislikes I have the more they know its true. You guys cant stand when there is anything good with iPhone either, it must be good enough to be the highest selling smartphone flagship. Damn you fanboys are ignorant, won't give anything else a chance or thought, and when i said lost to the iPhone i mean the S3 lost to the iPhone5 in the DROP TEST.
44. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Why shouldn't I be smart ? I am guessing you mean 'over smart' not smart.
Anyhow, I was only making my point how S3 is better than S4, coz u said 'the S4 isn't much different', which has absolutely nothing to do with fanboyism. Infact I didnt mention or compare with android, ios or even windows in my comment ! How am i fanboy all of a sudden ?
If you have a point then tell it to me,I like having meaningful conversation. Instead of reading all that bullsh*t in your comment.
You are blinded by the fact whoever says anything against you is a fanboy !
84. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
"and BTW what does 'lol?' mean. You are laughing out loud in interrogative way ? How do you do that ?"
38. faisal8708 (Posts: 104; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
No matter wht they put on S4 it cant match Lumia 920.
57. sniper1087 (Posts: 426; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Wow you are wrong I don't know if you heard all the reviews but the S4 sides are actually plastic the same as the S3 just painted plastic.
66. Taters (Posts: 3742; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It could be different. The GS2 is pretty invincible, they done it with the same design before. I am guessing the GS3 curved glass was the culprit so the more typical shape might help. Although the almost non existent bezels might be bad news for drops. Regardless though, you can't say for sure how it will turn out.
The GS2 was invincible but the GS3 did well in some tests but not so well in others. There was one test where they were dragging the GS3 along the road in a truck moving at a pretty decent speed and it did extremely well there.
I wouldn't go around saying Android fans are bad when you are worse. At least they know they are being unreasonable. You actually think that you objective, which you are obviously not. LOL
13. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
unbreakable or flexible display ? Did they announce that ?
52. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Nokia 3310 will answer that
62. haseebzahid (Posts: 1843; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
here comes L920 SGS3,4,5,6,7.... better put ur head down before it cracks you on impact
73. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
want to see drop test vs nokia lumia 920........!!! only nokia can answer.....!!!
4. darkskoliro (Posts: 1037; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Trust me, it will be a while before phones are actually shatter proof :P
21. _Bone_ (Posts: 2146; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Yes but warranty replaces aluminum parts in mere weeks!
32. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
And the Samsung is ugly before you drop it!
6. doejon (Posts: 385; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
galaxy s2 still the best but im waiting 2 for sammys new displays :-)
10. doejon (Posts: 385; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
im mean when it comes to drop tests xD not as a smartphone^^
7. thethird (Posts: 72; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
So this is basically the reason why samsung never extensively uses glass on their devices. I can still remember how Android authority drop the Note2 and said that the removable back and battery was its saving grace as it absorbs the impact.
I know HTC and Apple fans are very meticulous when it comes to build quality and feel but the truth is..... EVERYBODY KNOWS THE TRUTH. [+]
11. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
When you think about it the new iPhone 5 is pretty durable, don't know why people still put crap on it.
63. Taters (Posts: 3742; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It's durable in the it will still work when dropped sense but horrible in the staying in pristine condition sense with nicks out of the box and nicks on the shiny edges after normal use. And nicks and scratches on the soft aluminum. It is pretty bad and if the HTC One is like that then that is bad too.
In fact, companies shouldn't use aluminum in general. It nicks too easily. The Xperia P was nothing special, I thought the plastic Xperia S was nicer. The aluminum Galaxy Tab 7.7 wasn't anything special compared to the plastic Tab 8.9 either. It is overrated by Apple and HTC fans.
These two phones will probably look horrible in a few months. Any phone where the outside is more precious than the inside automatically fails any drop test in my eyes. I am so OCD that I would never be able to live with a dented or chipped aluminum phone. It is kind of like dropping an expensive watch. It is done even if it still works because you are certainly not going to wear it to a business meeting or a Wedding after.
18. ddeath (Posts: 166; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Imagine if you put a dent in the aluminum unibody of HTC One. You can't change it without costing a bomb.
68. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1682; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
If you dent that you shouldn't be allowed to use a smart phone without a case and need to wear a helmet...
79. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
HTC should be the ones wearing helmets for using such low grade metal that it dents.
20. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
im being more convnced to get s4 than htc One,
when XZ was announced i said ill get it aftr 3months (im really impressed with their video ads, super believable and cool),, but after all, it is just a big mess hype
waiting for more camera comparisons bet htc one and s4, :)
and waiting for 3rd/4th qrter of the year, Sammobile mentioned 8.0FullHD Amoled panel yeah, thats wat im waiting for, hope Wacom can improve their technology so their stylus can run on FullHD :)
22. skinny95black (Posts: 113; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
Sony Xperia Z VS Nokia Lumia 920
Let the battle begin.