HTC One unveiled: UltraPixel camera wonder coming in March
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2013, 09:26 posted on
The HTC One is easily one of the most important devices HTC has ever released as it tries to regain its profitable positions and return it to positive dynamics…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mydi.maus (unregistered)
aaahh my next babe!..
11. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
It's a beautiful phone.
I'll take this aluminum body over some cheap plastic any day.
I hope the new sense is a major improvement, it is certainly...strange compare to other UI's.
The specs are all there, now we just need to see it perform.
16. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1304; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
the design is definitely better than gs4, gs4 will use the same plastic whereas the one uses premium metal unibody and chamfered edge
htc just needs more marketing
22. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Agreed, and while I would have liked the screen to take up a bigger portion of the front of the phone (lots of extra bezel), the aluminum design is sturdy and it's territory that HTC has been successful with. I personally prefer the One X's design and polycarbonate material, but if Samsung's GSIV looks anything like the GSIII than HTC will continue to make better built/looking phones.
23. paul48 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
and all boxes ticked, which they repeatedly fail to do, the most obvious being lack of SD expandable memory.
42. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
not everyone needs or wants an sd card if we can purchase larger options. when i worked in a Sprint Tech center most customers didnt even know they had a memory card.
19. mightyillidan (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
who needs an sd card when u have a 60 gig of internal
2300 mah lol the butterfly has 2000 and has good bettery life according to gsmarena
so the yea gs4 will be a hit but not like every year since the only places where sammy could beat htc were battery life and performance and with 2300 mah and the s4 600 i dont think
so gs4 no thanks jeff
28. amiroo (Posts: 243; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Htc one has 1080p screen, optical image stabilizator, like lukia 920 does, hdr video on both cameras, slow motion, hdr microphone, ultrapixel camera, 32/64 Gigs, and the probably will offer extra storage on Dropbox, highest ever ppi468, dual speakers...
48. terabyteRouser (Posts: 396; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
if the design of the GS4 comes anywhere close to looking as good as this i'd be shocked. the plasticky s3 was horrible and looked like a piece of crap, but no one ever mentioned that.
51. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Says the guy with a Samsung phone for an avatar. Stop being a fanboy just because Samsung doesn't have the best phone right now.
20. tech2 (Posts: 1112; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
OMG.......I just saw a short hands-on on youtube......... quite franky I wasn't expecting that it would be that slim...nicely done HTC.
Only the battery hurdle remains crossing ....All the best !
6. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
enjoy the washed out screen and poor ergonomics
"worst contrast ratio of any modern smartphone"
21. mrmessma (Posts: 24; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Enjoy the washed out phone when anything else gets wet.
34. buccob (Posts: 960; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Being an owner of the Acro S.... it is now that I come to appreciate the IP57 certification....
Just like when we never thought we would use so many mega pixels in cameras, or front facing ones... or gigas of storage... and after you have it, you start using it...
I think I will never go back to a phone without IP57 certification... it is very practical and I really enjoy taking pictures of my baby boy when we are in the pool, without worries...
No screen problems or contrast ratio issues here..
You shouldn't trust PA reviews wholehearted...
27. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Unfortunately now that I think about it, wouldn't someone just buy a Windows Phone if they wanted the new Sense UI? You buy Android to experience Android, why would they change it so drastically and seemingly similar to WP?
35. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Every reviewer that posted that it had live tiles....which, if you didn't know, is a Windows Phone thing.
38. darkskoliro (Posts: 830; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Like who? And I'm pretty sure the live thing was for the gallery no? Not for sense
39. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Go on to PhoneArena's hands-on with the HTC One that they just posted and you'll see this quote:
Come to think of it, HTC BlinkFeed replaces the typical Sense homescreen we’re used to seeing with a very live tiled one instead. So yes, it does reminds us of Windows Phone a lot.
EDIT: The live tile thing is actually a part of the main UI, not the gallery. Weird huh? I would have preferred stock Android Jelly Bean, a real shame.
41. darkskoliro (Posts: 830; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Actually blinkfeed acts like a widget, and you are allowed to have other homescreens. So....gives you an option? Yeah I think that brings the best of both worlds.
4. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Way too much bezel (bottom) and no SD slot, I'll Pass
14. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Why do people need more than 64 GB of storage? Though you're right about the large bezel, I do like the speakers on the front.
37. buccob (Posts: 960; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Having 64GB internally makes the phone more expensive... I rather have 32GB with microSD or even 16GB internally... with microSD...
Cards nowadays are very cheap...
45. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3495; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
64 GB doesn't have to be expensive. On AT&T in the US, the One X+ has 64 GB of storage and costs as much as any other flagship device, and much less than a 64 GB iPhone 5.
Storage is actually relatively cheap, it's just some manufacturers (Apple) like to make tons of profit and overprice it.
24. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I like the SD Slot on the LG Optimus G, on the outside, really easy to get to. To get the 64 Gigs it might cost $100 more vs a $60 64GB Class 10 XCSD Card.
I do love the Front facing speakers
5. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
2300mah battery......not good enough. RIP HTC.
12. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
The size doesn't matter as much as whether they'll be able to harness power efficiently.
8. -box- (Posts: 3534; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'll stick with the next-gen PureView. Nokia has experience at these already, whereas this is HTC's first attempt (and they haven't been the most reliable of late)
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5145; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
No VZW release.... Ask Nokia how passing on America's largest carrier helped sales of their L920.
Feb 25 for the next Nokia flagship - hopefully on VZW.
13. lallolu (Posts: 202; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
One simple question, so is the camera equivalent to 13mp? What will be the effect when one zooms while editing? Megapixel is important to me because I use zoom a lot when editing my pictures.
36. darkskoliro (Posts: 830; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Mega pixels determines how LARGE the photo is. Quality is something you can't change. Every phtotographer knows that some dslrs are better than others despite having a smaller mp size because quality of quantity when it comes to pictures. When you zoom in on a higher quality picture, its going to be better than a high megapixel picture.
15. paul48 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Reason HTC didnt make dent on Samsung with last 'flagship' was unlike Samsung with the SGS3 they didnt tick all the boxes and ignored buyers requests for expandable memory i.e mSD slot. From the above it appears they still haven't listened !
I seek an 'all-in-one' device, a real smartphone that has all expected functionality, so when I leave the house, I take just 1 gizmo. I need an FM Radio to get news when no internet coverage. So it appears this in NOT 'the one'. All the tech sites say with HTC's repeated failures to get back in the market, this 'One' is their last chance. So why do they sink their ship for a half-penny worth of tar ? So many buyers want flexibility of SD memory which costs less than a dollar - why omit it ?
17. buccob (Posts: 960; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Apparently the camera is 4MP. But with the ultra pixel technology maybe that translate into a 12MP equivalent... (I have no idea)
It seems as a great competitor to the Xperia Z and ZL... now lets wait for the Galaxy S IV
25. ViBRATOt49 (Posts: 17; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
go easy on me when i say this. im new. but i have an iphone 5. and i feel worthless compared to all these new droids. i feel behind. i want this phone! i dont even know why the iphone 5 is going up against these big guys.
26. Mr.Singh (Posts: 10; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)
I think lack of SDcard and Battery life still gona be an big issue for htc One like last flagship htcOneX+ . 2300mAh battery is not enough for this kind of hd display with 468ppi & heavy processor.
So RIP HTC >>>>GS4 please !!
29. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
No psychic connection to your brain? It doesn't cook for you? It's not made by Samsung? Yawn. I'll pass for the Galaxy S 15. RIP HTC, you're dead meat.
Maybe you people who are condemning this phone are idiots.
30. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
why hp? why? Why can't you put a better battery in your phones. Do you completely ignore all your critics?
This phone looks absolutely amazing, but the achilles heel still appears to be there. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and this phone will get amazing battery life out of a small batter (like the iphone), but if not it's going to be such a shame for such an awesome looking device.
31. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 466; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Looks like the offspring of an iPhone 5 and Blackberry Z10....Not necessarily a bad thing.
32. jonartpop (Posts: 150; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
GS4 better be cooler cos this phone overall is amazing. great design, specs ugh I'm in love with this phone.
40. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
"Looking at it, we’re wondering whether Apple is not already gearing up for another lawsuit" - I don't think there will be any lawsuit here... I'm sure that phone design was part of the licensing agreement that the 2 companies came to last...Plus with Tim Cook as CEO, he does not like litigation so stop wondering because the answer is No :-) or at least I hope so.
43. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3495; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Oh my. HTC is playing hardball. That back plate is just beautiful, I'm still iffy on the front, but overall HTC deserves an award for that design.
And that carrier availability is just so good to read. Nice job, HTC, you deserve all the sales you will get with this phone, and all the more.
46. Eonnaydra (Posts: 181; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
And then Samsung will came with their boring S4 and the she*ps will buy it just because is S4,not for other reason.
It's pi*ty for them not to take a look and realize that HTC One is the best designed smartphone with that sexy full metal body.S4 will be just a plastic,ugly designed,I bet that!
49. Levon (Posts: 33; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
The better ONE
1. The front and back looks similar to the back of iphone5.
2. The screen size could be bigger compared to overall dimensions of device (without that black frame surrounding the screen).
3. there is no slot for microSD.
4. 32/64GB? 64/128GB could be better.
5. Maybe 2300mAh looks good, but 3300 could be better.
50. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
shoot, it does have a small battery (because you know, i'm MAXX'd) but i'd still take a black one. Sense 5 is still SLIGHTLY ugly but there's some real interesting stuff going on with it, i love that this has an aluminum body with dual front facing stereo speakers and an IR Blaster (really miss that from my Xyboard 8.2) and when it comes to that UM Camera, it's definitely different but i've learned to have faith in HTC when it comes to Cameras as that is one of their fortes. all of that with a 1080p Display and a Snapdragon 600 makes this the best well rounded Smartphone out now. o: