HTC One to get updated to Android 4.2.2. in a matter of weeks
0. phoneArena 18 May 2013, 01:02 posted on
The HTC One currently is powered by Android 4.1.2, but according to an insider, the phone is just weeks away from getting updated to Android 4.2.2; considering that Android 4.2.2 has been rolling out to various devices since February, it is not such a surprise that owners of the device want the later Android build on their phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
71. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5534; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The bird in the hand isn't going to pay tomorrow's rent. One of the two in the bush might.
69. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 727; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
When was that, i have a One X and i certainly don't remember that, i have been running 4.1 since October, and they already have a 4.2 leak for the Butterfly which is a 2012 model.
73. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7393; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How long did it take to update the AT&T One X? T-Mobile One S? HTC Thunderbolt? Sensation 4G? Amaze 4G?
22. eman99 (Posts: 210; Member since: 03 Aug 2010)
Ohhhhh no that's how they get you I don't think the htc one will see key lime time will tell
24. Taters (Posts: 2592; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
This why they fail hard. Instead of wasting time with 4.2.2, they should be helping AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Tel us, T-Mobile and everyone else besides Sprint get the button fix software out stat. Not give them a reason to skip that important update and wait for 4.2.2 that we really do not need.
Or they could have working buttons from the start like Samsung and every other manufacturer in existence.
72. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 727; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
And why didn't Samsung get the Galaxy S4s working without lags from the beggining like HTC did with the One despite the lower clocked chipset? Fact is xda has quite a lot of threads about the Galaxy S4 lagging.
87. Taters (Posts: 2592; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wow! One day I would like to see a half way decent and logical argument from an HTC lover/Samsung hater.
This is in no way comparable. One is a definition of a deal breaking flaw and typical slow update from HTC to fix it. The buttons go dead for 20 seconds.
The other has already received an optimization update, can be fixed with a launcher or by disabling some features. The main thing is that it is anything but a deal breaker. It works the way Samsung intended unlike buttons that do not work.
92. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 727; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I would also love to see a logical argument from you, since the only thing you can do is call everyone a HTC lover/ Samsung hater. The fix has been issued already not really sure what are you talking about, and if you are indeed talking about carrier updates, the delay is the carrier's fault not HTC.
Also in case you didn't notice yet you are an HTC hater/Samsung lover so you can't really talk about fanboyism.
94. Taters (Posts: 2592; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
My arguments are always logical. Buttons going dead for that long is a deal breaking flaw, most carriers haven't released an update yet, and this 4.2.2 update might make the carriers wait even longer to release this fix. This is all true and it is typical of HTC.
Your counter argument, if you can even call it one, about lag is just reaching because it is far from a deal breaker and most people don't even notice it. That is what logic is, not your baseless defending of a deal breaking HTC flaw by trying to deflect a serious HTC screw up but saying the GS4 lags a little.
88. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Well it seems that samsung rushed the software to get the heat made by htc one and xperia z.. the updates fixed the lags
31. iDroidx650 (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 May 2010)
I used the the galaxy s 4 for about 3 weeks. I was so unimpressed by the device. Don't get me wrong its a great device, fantastic battery life, great camera and screen. Been using my HTC One for 4 days now and I'm in love. I love everything about this phone. Screen is amazing, great sound quality, battery life, and build is top notch. I really like sense 5. Its very clean and easy to use.
50. Jason2k13 (Posts: 627; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
fantastic battery, great camera and screen? those 3 things are what makes a phone 'impressive'.
46. techguyone (Posts: 93; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Actually the single most interesting thing of the update may well end up being vastly improved standby life.
Apparently 4.1.2 has some sort of bug where Standby time is adversely affected.
I'll be most interested to see if that improves under 4.2.2 if it does, it'll address one of it's more significant shortcomings. It'll also be interesting to see if the scores edge slightly ahead of the S4 too (as they did in all but standby before Samsung updated the S4)
66. MariaGabriela (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
HTC ONE something your phone isn't and will never be. cause your samesung phone is dead and the htc one beat it in speed test go check youtube out.
70. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
PLEASE, PEOPLE. HTC is not dead. Samsung is not dead. Benchmark pissing matches do not "kill" phones. HOWEVER....quality and perception of value matter. It all comes down to what matters most to you as the user. Samsung and HTC both have good products and competition is good for us all!
89. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Speed test of phonebuff tells s4 is the winner
56. rizevnarastek (Posts: 326; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
One will be better than S4 coming from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. like the One X was better than S3 coming from 4.0.3. to 4.0.4. last year.
59. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Lol mate what grounds is your arguement based on or are you just a useless fanboy?!
75. rizevnarastek (Posts: 326; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I have grounds by reviewing both phones extensively on one software and then on the updated software. This time around HTC's flagship runs smoother even on an older version of Android.
57. khaldoon (Posts: 29; Member since: 17 May 2013)
HTC are doing great job this year: they came up with the best phone in terms of build quality this year , the improved their sense and made their battery life lasts much longer , and most importantly they are pushing regular updates to their devices . If the latest rumours are correct then last year HTC usesr might get the ability to enjoy sense 5 and the latest version of android
60. threeline (Posts: 256; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
HTC is the reason the company is failing or not on par with powerhouses like Samsung and Apple. HTC for some reason they keeps making phones and having them exclusive to VZW like the Droid DNA, great phone but why limit yourself to one carrier? Samsung or Apple make their best phones available to almost all the Big 3. The DNA would've been a huge hit had it been released on Sprint, AT&T and TMO as well, its a great device, I actually had been waiting on a 5'' device until I got the GS4. There have been plenty of other devices they've produced for VZW's Droid line that could've been huge successes if launched on other carriers as well. Motorola has this same problem as well, I would've love to have gotten a RAZR Maxx but I wasn't on VZW and wasn't switching just for that phone.
77. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's a Verizon issue, not HTC. Verizon wants exclusives so that they control the marketing. That's the power they have as #1 in the US. HTC did themselves a huge favor this year by releasing the One on 3 of the 4 big carriers. But if their choices were to give Verizon an exclusive in the Droid line or nothing at all, you can't blame them. Same goes for Motorola. At least the Razr line and the DNA(Butterfly) are available outside the US.
62. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Just weeks away! When i sold my Sensation they say that as well!
63. saenaedewe (Posts: 61; Member since: 01 May 2013)
When will my HTC ONE X going to be updated to 4.2.2? Will it be getting the 4.3? How about the 5.0?
67. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
My theory is HTC wants to get 4.2 running smoothly with Sense 5 on the One and then we'll see that same combination come to the X, Butterfly, DNA etc.
84. saenaedewe (Posts: 61; Member since: 01 May 2013)
Hopefully, it wouldn't take them too long to test it...
64. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Does anyone know for certain if the new HTC One's will still contain the HAAC microphones that Nokia uses for its Rich Recording? I understand that the supplier that was contracted to build these Nokia designed components has been court ordered to stop supplying them to HTC. If true, does this mean the HTC One will no longer have its famed "Distortion Free Recording" capability as it ramps up production? If anyone knows from experience, please comment.
76. rizevnarastek (Posts: 326; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
It will still have HDR microphones but they don't advertise it anymore. Like they don't advertise their "smart stay" and "smart rotate" features embedded into sense.
79. ckoch125 (Posts: 187; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I wonder how long this will take to make it to the carrier versions?
85. tha.fox (Posts: 100; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
its ok even if the HTC One was as low as android 4.0 it would still be better than s4!
91. poping (unregistered)
yeah in a matter of weeks... 52 weeks to be exact... worse, maybe 100 or more weeks...
95. drkuthan (Posts: 22; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
1) pretending htc is the best out there, if you don't really understand anything go check some articles and tests in good lighting and dark scenes s4 destroys the htc one you can find it on the front Page of gsmarena under the s4 camera comparison test
2) one's speaker is no louder than s4 and iphone 5's but the quality is the best out there and also here is the test for you to see in youtube
3) battery issues, dead pixels,gap problems had to be corrected before it was released and they have to take care of it as soon as possible, the newer batches must be problem free4) i used xperia z, htc one and made my final decision for the S4 which i am still using... instead of deceiving yourself go buy an S4 and compare it with the one5) but if only design and front stereo speakers are important for you then i have nothing to say :)) S4 kills one in every other respect