HTC One sales are strong: 5 million sold despite supply issues
0. phoneArena 23 May 2013, 06:38 posted on
Just as Samsung confirmed its Galaxy S4 has become its most popular Android smartphone selling 10 million in less than a month, now HTC also gets…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
5 million NOT sold. Read the source....
"...about 5 million sold..." not the same thing as "5 million sold"
HTC have sold less than half of Samsung Galaxy S4. Would have had one more sale here with an sd card slot and removable battery or at least 3000mah version. Oh well. Samsung also getting stock android version.
6. rcl4444 (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
The source says 5 million sold - says it a number of times actually.
Regardless, even if it's 5 mill ordered or shipped as a result of vendor orders, it's still a strong indicator of demand. And considering supply issues and that's it's not available in many markets this is a great result!
I hope it continues or improves, and hence put some pressure on Samsung and others to produce flagships with better designs and materials. It makes it a win for all us consumers.
14. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Read the original source.....WSJ
The verge has the correct story
52. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
its still a good news for HTC ! don't u think ?
60. tech2 (Posts: 2355; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
They might have crossed 5 million mark while you 2 were fighting !
13. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
great job htc when htc have some issue in produce ..
one king 2013..we need to respect to this handpeace.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why does it matter to you? And how many s4's have YOU bought? Fanboys are such a pain.
34. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Fact is, it is still a really great phone, something that more and more Sammy fanboys aren't willing to admit. I am sure that the S4 is a great phone. I, however, love my One.
Seems far too many people would like to see the smartphone market dominated by Apple or Samsung, which would be bad for consumers. Right now, we have some really great choice around, like the S4, the One, the Lumia series for WP8, to name 3. This is what people should want: GREAT CHOICES.
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
100% agreed bro. It makes no sense how a beautiful successful phone like the One can be dissed for selling 5 million units. So what if the s4 has sold more, who cares? You can't go wrong with either one.
103. rsaunders917 (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
I had a Galaxy S3, which was the perfect phone for me. But after dropping it on a concrete floor the 4th time (no protective case), the microphone failed although it didn't have even the smallest scatch on it. So, wanting to try something different, I bought an HTC One. It wasn't love at first sight (only my S3 did that to me), but it's growing on me with time. Battery management is fantastic if you turn off all unneeded connectivities most of the time. I'm not really a form over substance person, and I'm really starting to like the HTC, especially its impressive voice call quality and strong signal strength almost anywhere. But somehow, I miss the ergonomics of the S3 and, in my own view, the much better usability and range of options available such as smart stay. But either phone is just really a great phone. Compared to phone of eons ago (about 3 years ago), these two phones just feels really quite advanced and really high tech.
56. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I think its a great phone - I love the front facing stereo speakers. But lack of expandable storage makes it a no go for me. If I were upgrading today, I'd have to go with the GS4 for that reason and the battery.
Also, I wish HTC would go back to built in kickstands.
68. Taters (Posts: 3528; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Common sense tells me that buttons that do not always work does not make a great phone...yes I own one. I haven't gotten my S4 yet because I might get the Google one but it doesn't take a genius to know that HTC has once again f**ked up with the button issue I have on my phone.
74. freebee269 (Posts: 528; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
i agree. my sister has the htc one and when i use it the buttons are kind of annoying. but the phone still looks good and the screen is very good.
75. jicasti (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Common sense tells me you haven't checked for the new update. New update on the One fixes the button sensitivity issue.
92. Taters (Posts: 3528; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I just checked on my Roger's HTC One. Don't have it yet and I have been suffering from the buttons since launch. Does common sense tell you that I should ignore a month or so of unpleasant user experience just because they have an update coming?
33. khmer (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
HTC sold about 5 millions ONE at their own cost. You will see what is their profit will be by the end the quarter. A lot of HTC experts are moving out to a different companies.
35. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Sometimes big change is a good thing. Can be painful, but in the end, better for all.
64. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I wouldn't call them experts... They're head of the company but that doesn't mean they absolutely know what they're doing. The new marketing dude is doing a much better job than the previous.
80. ECPirate37 (Posts: 92; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
If "about 5 million sold" then it could also be over 5 million sold. It could just as easily be 5,006,000 and they would say "about 5 million sold". My question is, what source did you use to determine they have yet to hit the 5 million mark?
16. tiara6918 (Posts: 1502; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
HTC is continuously doing a great job,5 million units sold is incredible considering the fact that HTC one is still not available in some countries and already had a good start on sales. +1 to you,look at the number of fanboys who thumbed you down
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly. Sammy fanboys are thumbing down big time today
37. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
You know I've said it before dark, the Sammy fans are getting as bad or worse than the hardcore iPhone fans.
Just to point out, one terrible thing about the S4 that people want to overlook is the internal storage on it that is actually available is around 8.6 GB. Not everything can be put on a microSD card, so that is horrible internal storage for a phone that so many consider to be the best.
41. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
They never seem to want to point that out, and yes apple and Sammy fanboys seem to be one, and the same now
50. medicci37 (Posts: 699; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Yeah. How some people can be stupid enough 2 think they need to defend companies like your talking about their momma when someone has a valid complaint
88. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5636; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
especially considering that it's not available on Verizon yet. there's no telling how many people on the nation's largest carrier are waiting to pull the trigger when their version of the One gets announced. i may be one of them because my MAXX HD is starting to devalue and i'm gonna need to get something pretty quick before getting something starts to really cost me some money.
3. aditzut (Posts: 12; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
I will wait till this phone is avaiable in romania!
57. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Be careful who you pick a fight with. Judge him not by his size.
4. twens (Posts: 698; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Hehehe, seems this company are really set out to compete with samsung. It's good cos this is the last time Samsung will give any HTC Fon a chance to come this close. The next s5 will not be anything an HTC Fon can compete with. It will be light years ahead of any other Fon on the market.
54. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
if HTC survives 2013 :P i am pretty sure they will create an excellent device yet again ! not saying samsung won't .
83. Commentator (Posts: 2469; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
You must be new to the industry so I'll fill you in: people have been saying that the "next Samsung phone" will be light-years ahead of any competition for the last three years now, but the fact is they have run away from the competition because of marketing and market saturation. People said the S3 would be the phone to end all phones. That didn't happen. The same was said about the S4, but that was even more disappointing. Samsung makes great phones, but to assume they will somehow be "lightyears" ahead of the competition makes no reasonable sense.
5. Ruckus (Posts: 276; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
I realize the GS4 is selling better in most areas but we are actually selling 3-4 times more HTC Ones than GS4s and that's even with there being Galaxy fanboys where I work lol. Even they recognize the HTC One as being amazing! As much as I don't care for Android, those are both sweet phones :-D
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Only 5 million? I thought it sold over 10 million!
Never mind, the HTC One is still a gorgeous phone! Keep it up HTC!
8. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Congratulations HTC! But why you lick Apple Ass?! We are Android and we must fight with American company made in China.
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
We are android, I have an iPhone and a note 2, so can I be in your club?
44. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Depends, did you post your reply from a phone? If so which one?.....
lol, All jokes aside, I'm thrilled to hear HTC putting up good numbers. They were always my first choice untill they made Sense 4 WAY to heavy. I parted with them for Nexus, and now that they fixed Sense (Sense 5 is amazing btw if you havn't used it) I'm happily back with HTC, using the DNA (rooted of course). Keep it up HTC, dont go down with out a fight!
49. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lol good one. I'm actually using the 5 today. Since the notes battery is so good I tend not to charge it daily. Well this morning it was at 12%, so it stayed home. I love all the choices in mobile now...much more diversity
58. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Two different numbers? Or are you on GSM and just swap the sim?
73. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No the notes uses micro sim the 5 uses nano. I went to a local third party retailer called ETC wireless. They cut the micro down to fit a nano slot, and gave me a small case to put it in, so it also fits micro. That allows me to simply swap sims when I want. The insurance will only cover the phone that's the sims registered to though.
72. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
I have iPhone 4s as well. And I post that from my lovely Note2(so you can be in the club! )
9. _Bone_ (Posts: 2137; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Sorry to rain on HTC's parade, but the usually accurate KGI Securities report said weeks ago that HTC will only be able to produce 500k or so units before the Summer. I understand there's need for damage control after yesterday's news and I wish HTC nothing but the best, but any report over a million of the extremely troublesome Ones sold is simply fabrication. The phone is still held back in many markets and camera and audio chips are only getting better yield rate as we speak. 5M is fantasy.
10. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
HTC deserve it, because they made the best looking smartphone(HTC One) to date!! I only want HTC to continue in the same way and to make software update faster!! :)
12. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well done HTC!
All the very best!
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 12406; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Troll did you just say Samsung FTW the other day?
87. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Troll also said Nokia FTW.. But I don't know how!
I think his account has been hacked™
46. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
no where for doubt if you search some tech site..
this is best one.
((plastic isnt fantastic never))
65. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Phonedog ranking is plenty convincing to me.
82. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I like how phonedog lists ranking for people's choice and expert. It really give you the wider picture of what's the best out there. Think two years back, experts all voted for iPhone 4 while the people choice was the Galaxy.
17. doubler86 (Posts: 319; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
FALSE! HTC hasn't and couldn't even produced nearly that many HTC One's. They need to get better sources