HTC One and the UltraPixels: the end of the megapixel war
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2013, 11:20 posted on
HTC just confirmed the old adage "do what's right and take the consequences" with the introduction of the HTC One, which carries a humble 4 MP camera with better quality photos in an age when the marketing departments scoff at anything less than 8 MP for a flagship device...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Cant wait to see the review!! Damn im so keen to get one
11. danny_a2005 (Posts: 165; Member since: 06 Oct 2011)
Im still going for the xperia z... this is really nice though
13. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'll get the cheaper one. they're equally good with their owns strengths and weaknesses. it's the price that'll determine preference.
53. omarr (banned) (Posts: 149; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Tell me how you will go to the Xperia Z and your pic is HTC
73. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
this was bad joke of the year... why you need a inferior phone.. which has baddd camera.. and lower processor....
12. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I would get the One over the xperia Z any day, but to each their own.
Love the pic that HTC provided lol, it looks like garbage. Competitor X and Y must be 5 years old phones.
40. Johnnokia (Posts: 1096; Member since: 27 May 2012)
"For comparison, the Sony Xperia Z has a 1.1 micron pixel, the Nokia 808 PureView, Lumia 920, Galaxy S III and iPhone 5 sport 1.4 micron pixels, and things pick up at the Nokia N8 with 1.75 micron"
Nokia N8 preceded its time and it still has the best camera phone.
How great is Nokia !!!.
68. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
you forgot the "to reach 2 microns in the HTC One"
So Xperia Z have 1.1 to reach 2, the others have 1.4 and N8 1.75 to reach 2
77. alexvoda (Posts: 26; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
But overall the Nokia N8 is waaay better:
N8: 12.1 Mpx * (1.75 micron)^2
is way better than
One: 4 Mpx * (2 micron)^2
It is not specified if that is the size of the side of the pixel or the surface of the pixel so I chose the former.
80. sn8jg (Posts: 4; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
the nokia 808 pixel size is 1,4 microns in 38,4 megapixel camera mode but in 8megapixel images the pixel size is 3,17microns and in 5 megapixel mode (still more resolution picture than the 4megapixel pictures of the htc one) the pixel size is 4,01microns (two times bigger than the htc one)
So it is false that the htc pixels are bigger than those of the nokia 808 in any of the pureview modes
26. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
this is promising. this will bring htc back on track alright. love the new sense and can't wait for the camera results. and that slcd-3 screen looks good. cant wait for the review. a true gamechanger by htc. wish you all the best.
28. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Can't wait for the Nokia 808 Pureview and HTC One comparison.. Will it be the oversampling tech? Or the ultra (large) pixels? I'm thinking Nokia's 808 will take better 4MP shots than the HTC One.. Imagine the amount of oversampling for a 4MP shot!
39. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yeah, I think that the war has just begun, between HTC and Nokia, better for us!!
37. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3913; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I'm sold if this thing takes RAW format.
44. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Let's see What Nokia has in MWC EOS? Hope so....
51. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Reliance communication will offer HTC One in indiahttp://www.mobalian.in/2013/02
hope they will add a worthy price tag, an arrogant price tag will never work in india .. ..
76. Dastrix (unregistered)
It's all great on paper, and does look very promising for HTC. I'll wait and see how it stacks up to Nokia's PureView technology.
2. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13604; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So it has a more advanced camera. It's too early to call it a big game changer.
14. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
No it won't. It will be more of the same just better quality.
15. vandroid (Posts: 328; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
samsung isnt apple their phones look different every year
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13604; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
But the 5 and the 4S look nothing alike.
19. vandroid (Posts: 328; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
are you serious? put them side by side and you can just see that one is just longer
65. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's just stretched out 4S with a metal back plate and a colored metal band. They look fairly similar.
25. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
You meant ALL the Samsung phones that come out every other week or so? They all look the same. And weeks from now, the Note 8.0. It will be DOA for sure.
45. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Different, but not better. The GSII looks better than the GSIII.
18. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i heard samsung will be moving their launching date for the siv. they're trying to find newer tricks to compete. beefing up the processor, RAM, and battery seems to have become passe these days.