HTC One (M8) review Q&A: your questions answered
1. maherk (Posts: 2584; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
pecemece asks: How much free internal storage is available on the base 16 gb model ?
You get 9.87 gigabytes to work with as 5.2 gigabytes are occupied by system files. The 32GB model, which should have 29.8 gigs of formatted space, will probably provide you with about 24.6 gigabytes.
Samsung delivers 10.6 gb out of the 16GB offered. Turns out that features packed TouchWiz uses less memory than the Sense. Not hating on Sense, I find it sleeker and more eye appealing than TouchWiz, but that's another plus for the S5.
3. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1853; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I have to say, with the AT&T model it comes with 32 gb of rom. That is pretty good size to start with and on top of that, you got SD card slot. That's just icing on the cake.
6. maherk (Posts: 2584; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
don't get me wrong, I won't have an issue with it even if it offered 2gb out of the 16gb. I have 2 32gb sd cards myself. I am just pointing it out for those who criticize Samsung for offering 10.6Gb out of the 16GB. For me, as long as there is a micro sd slot, it won't matter how much the built in rom is.
7. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1853; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Personally, I don't care how big the custom skin take out haha As long as the phone run smoothly with a SD card slot teehee
10. Withtechfriends (Posts: 20; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Where can you even find a 16gb version? All the ones for sale that I've seen are 32gb. The M7 was also 32gb standard.
13. maherk (Posts: 2584; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the m7 as well as the one x were sold only in 16gb versions in the middle east, and I am sure there was many other regions getting the 16gb as standard.
4. threeline (Posts: 266; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Sounds like that secondary camera is very limited in its available uses. This whole camera thing is a big mistake I think, most customers would be satisfied by a nice detailed 13-16mp camera on this phone. We can download apps for that re-focus crap. Now the whole camera system sucks. Thats the only reason I wont be getting this phone and I was sold with everything else. IMHO
14. Leonis (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
I totally agree with you. I thought this was going to be my phone too but apparently not. But on the bright side though, HTC has proved they can challenge and make a good phone. The only thing they need to do now is get Sony to make their camera and they are fine.
5. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Hey nick T. i'll tell you why 4k recording cant be added to m8. Because it has a measly 4mp sensor. For 4k you need a dense 8mp+ actual resolution. So more megapixels is certainly not a gimmick.
11. Withtechfriends (Posts: 20; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Why does anyone even care about 4k home video? We don't even have access to 4k TV or movies yet really. Not to mention, almost no one has a 4k TV either.
I'm not being rude, I really want to know why people want more. It takes up too much storage to even be worth it.
12. Withtechfriends (Posts: 20; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
PS, this guy StraightEdgeNexus, never seems to have anything positive to say about anything.
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Truth's always bitter dude. I just answered nick t about 4k. And its not about 4k tv. Scale down 4k to full hd or 720p and it has better quality than a video shot in full hd
8. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
They mainly covered the camera questions but didn't answer so many other good questions.. Disappointed.
9. NoFanboy (Posts: 295; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
Heyyy that's me! Thanks Nick. I actually picked up the m8 a few days ago and I'm loving every bit of it.
16. tiara6918 (Posts: 1943; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
follow up question, does it still have the same mic as the m7?
18. dj8cl (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jun 2014)
Is there a region code with the HTC One M8 like the Samsung S5 has got?