HTC One (M8) battery life test: excellent endurance
0. phoneArena 25 Mar 2014, 11:49 posted on
Believe it or not, the new HTC One (M8), with its 2600 mAh battery, is the cream of the 5-inch crop, as it tops the mighty LG G2 marathon runner, and its 3000 mAh unit, in our battery test. As you can see below, the One (M8) lasted 7 hours and 12 minutes of screen-on time in our grueling test load, while the G2 scored 6 hours and 48 minutes...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Bridgep0rt (Posts: 43; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
Impressive @HTC, wonder what happens if u get a 3000 mAh.
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
And i wonder why they didn"t use a 3000mah, how depressing of them....
34. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
...Because it's Li-Po not Li-ion which is something people continue to overlook. That's like when everyone judged the Moto X over it's 2200 mAh battery but were surprised to see it outlasted the other flag ships? Why? Because it had a Li-Po batter with great software and hardware optimization. It just makes me a little sad when people try to find security in the numbers rather than the results.
30. papss (unregistered)
Does that mean that this battery is any less amazing? I'm confused by what you are getting at.
38. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Destroyed by what? by Samsung's ugly design & cheap plastic? Or power hungry battery? Or by laggy TouchWiz UI?
42. chebner (Posts: 205; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
How are you so confident the S5 battery will last longer? ONE 2014 vs S4 (same size battery); ONE 2014 beats it by 2:13. S4 vs ONE 2013 (smaller battery by 2300mah), ONE 2013 beats it by :46.
The ONEs are more efficient than the Galaxy Ss so the battery doesn't need to be as big.
45. Nexus_bear (Posts: 32; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
So if I place an S5 next to an HTC ONE some how some way the HTC ONE will shatter? It will melt? It will explode? Outside of horrible grammatical expression on how you prefer the S5 features over the ONE features how will it be destroyed.
Just because it sells more doesn't make it better.
There are more Honda Accords being sold than the Audi S4s. That doesn't mean one car will literally destroy the other if they park next to each other.
But I bet the Audi and HTC will get more looks.
24. Chinda3 (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
OnePlus One has 3100mAH battery & will last way longer than htc one 2014 lol
2. nlfffffff (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
z2 5.2inch ip58 ：146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm
m8 5inch ：146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm
25. DRO_ID (Posts: 40; Member since: 20 Feb 2014)
LG G2 - 5.2", OIS, 3200mAh : 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
39. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Both are good, IMO. Only Samsung is ugly
3. nk_blu (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Wow that was really quick battery life test, I mean, the phone was just announced couple hours ago. Unless PA already had...oh wait. I gotcha.
32. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Well S5 hasn't been released yet, the 1520 isn't even in this level....it scored like a trillion hours.....why should it be considered...it's on another level completely, in fact in another, realm....no dimension!!!!...no Flux Vortex....no...Event Horizon...
Another thing too....people are seriously overlooking the type of batter. It is not a typical li-ion battery....this is Lithium Polymer with long bonding chains that discharge electrons at a constant but slow rate, due to the density (if I'm not mistaken but I feel like I've learned it terribly wrong LOL)...2600 mAh for Lithium Polymer is like 3500 mAh in li-ion... So just imagine if the One Max gets a 3500 mAh li-po battery...It'll be hella expensive for production but we'll probably see 11 hours of custom script time, which might translate to 56-72 hours of mixed to light usage...but that's just dreaming. HTC, really let me down with the camera and I was the main fanboy rooting for them. LOL. Well, better luck next year, I hope.
5. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
holy cr@p, i guess htc did some great battery optimization on this one
6. hemedans (Posts: 438; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
phonearena they never put lumia 1520 in their battery test i dont know why.
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I know. I'm trying to figure that out as well.
16. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
We all know why cause GsmArena gave it the first 100 hours endurance device to gain this long stamina.
7. JMartin22 (Posts: 1889; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
It's not entirely impossible to top 7 hour screen time on other devices. It's not easy, but possible. Longest I've seen on an S4 was over 7 hours in the XDA Developer forum.
11. erikiksaz (Posts: 170; Member since: 22 Apr 2010)
Those are all anecdotal and don't really count for anything in terms of concrete data.
Anybody can sit next to their wifi router, disable all forms of syncing, with the lowest brightness levels to exaggerate their battery life.
33. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Not entirely true, but I see where your getting at @erikiksaz. It depends mostly on optimizations and the type of Nm chipset also the screen tech. If all these are passed interms of lower power consumption, then like HTC one m8, you get over the limit of screen on time.
8. sintruder (Posts: 103; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Now where are those who were complaing about the 2600 mah battery.This is not the only test to prove great battery life as gsm arena's battery life test put the new one on par with note 3 with 71 hours of endurance rating.HTC nailed this!
12. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Htc made my night;-)))
Great job htc
17. jad.boutary (Posts: 107; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
wow! just wow !!!!
it is almost the same as my one max witch has 3300 Mah!!!
i wonder what sense 6.0 does to my battery!!
19. karkavelas (Posts: 70; Member since: 25 Oct 2013)
Good job htc!!
When the other need 3000mah to make 6h 48 min you need only 2600mah to make 7h 12m.. AMAZING!! That is innovation!!
Too all those who give so much credit to the amount of mah.
20. newbey123 (Posts: 553; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Awesome, this phone is a beast wrapped in gorgeous package. Home run HTC. Ordered mine already.
23. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1982; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
how is this can be 7 hrs when blink feed still running? well ill just leave it to the experts,htc welldone.
28. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
It is just not the size of the battery that matters. Every fanboy is saying how the S5 will do better. The processor is the same but the screen is not, the screen type us not and the software is not the same. The S5 may not be better because it has a bigger battery.
29. imyourpapi (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
Yeah I'm going to order this bad boy next payday, great job HTC! Just a little disappointed with the 4mp, but I guess we'll see how it performs, not that I'm expecting it to be better than the s5
31. papss (unregistered)
I ordered it in gunmetal. I can't wait to get this thing.
43. limporgyuk (Posts: 273; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Nice work, I am gonna try and wait a little while untill the black edition is released
35. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Can anyone agree with me while watching the live event, did anyone cry cause I literally did. So......AMAZING....HTC you've done it again.
36. Muayyad (Posts: 236; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Spec junkies, do you know anything about optimization ?
37. c.sonnen (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
so whats the charging time for this phone?..you should include this for standard battery test. battery life and charging time.
40. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Oh... that shiny metallic chassis. Looks gorgeous
41. LikeMyself (Posts: 434; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Lithium Polymer battery and not Lithium ion. Now that's what I call a well needed change in battery technology!
You took my heart new HTC ONE. I will buy when you become available in my country!
44. SageoftheSouth (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
My wife picked up @1pm yesterday, activated then shut off and reboxed for me. I unboxed at 530pm, at which time it had 56% batt, and basically only put it down to eat and sleep. I put it through the ringer doing everything you could think of... setup, pics, vids, games, etc and this continued when I woke up this morning. No overnight charge and frequent use here at work with several phone calls and currently at 9% life....
47. GoBears (Posts: 448; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Nicely done HTC. If you're going to seal in the battery at least you made it a kick a$$ one!