HTC One (M8) and Nokia Lumia 930 tackle the Ice Bucket Challenge
0. phoneArena 23 Aug 2014, 23:14 posted on
Just the other day, the Samsung Galaxy S5 was drenched with ice water as part of the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS. At the same time, Samsung's flagship model challenged the HTC One (M8) and the Nokia Lumia 930 to take the challenge. But the Galaxy S5 has a big advantage here. That device has an IP 67 certification, meaning that it can withstand being submerged in up to 3.2 feet of water for as long as 30 minutes...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
32. Jason2k13 (Posts: 641; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
thats it? you're not trolling hard enough
25. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Watch 1:32-1:40, you can see his finger isn't covering the socket tightly on the Lumia 930, his finger turned a bit sideways. Also, see how he hold both phones at the end when he shows them to the camera, that's a normal way to hold the phone when you're showing it to the camera.
29. Jason2k13 (Posts: 641; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i did watch it, and no i cant tell if his covering it tightly, but I can tell that his covering the hole.
26. amats69 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Is it too hurt that this two phone survives the challenge of your beloved samsung? u expecting different result?lmao
20. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
One M8's headphone socket is on the bottom of the phone.
33. hurrycanger (Posts: 1090; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Didn't notice others had mentioned what I wanted to say already. :3
34. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1000; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
this guy had to cover the 3.5 mm jack hole so the water wont enter thats lame cheat!...these cant swim like xperias..
37. twens (Posts: 610; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
You guys don't be stupid. Most phones can definitely survive a splash of water. Whether water proof or not. They weren't submerged into water.
Secondly Sammy's add goes beyond the ice bucket challenge. They are just trying to tell you the s5 is water proof and you won't be scared getting it close to water meanwhile the other phones challenged are not so you'll be taking a huge risk getting them near water but I guess haters are always gone hate.
If you're feeling proud about your m8 or lumia why don't you try it at home yourself? Lol
39. hurrycanger (Posts: 1090; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I don't think HTC will ever take this challenge without showing something like "Don't try this at home" at the end". XD
38. bodzio1809 (Posts: 67; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
If i am not wrong he is covering power button on M8 and jack on Lumia. Fail.
40. sniper1087 (Posts: 365; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
did anybody bother to watch the video in detail for the samsung icebucket challenge? from the time the water drops the time changes from 2:16 to 2:50 after is done.
49. hurrycanger (Posts: 1090; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
looks like screenshots to me, because if they were you keep it at the lock screen, the phone would turn of the display in seconds. You can see the screenshot moving while the water was running down, kinda similar to what happened to the Lumia (the touch screen acted up).
Why the time gap? My theory: They got others screenshots on the phone before that, and then they took one screenshot of the lock screen for this video. During a trial, they were like "Oh sh*t it swiped to a lame screenshot. I think we need to make another screenshot of the lock screen so if it moves, it will still look fine." Hence the time gap. This is just my theory, lol.
56. newbey123 (Posts: 407; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
The M8 is water resistant, just like all these other phones which some manufacturers try and make such a big selling point out of because they have nothing else. The M8 can survive water!
61. AJagtiani (limited) (Posts: 460; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
And who gave you such ridiculous info?
74. Eclectech (Posts: 68; Member since: 01 May 2013)
Not only did they survive, they got a lot more water poured on them, while the Samsung had a little cup of water poured on it. Further The Galaxy challenge was doctored. Note how the time changes to 2:50 in the notification shade while remaining at 2:16 on the larger portion.