HTC One M8 Duo Camera - useful innovation or a gimmick?
0. phoneArena 27 Mar 2014, 06:31 posted on
The unique Duo Camera on the HTC One M8 utilizes two camera sensor/lens sets, in order to capture a more complete depth of field information about a scene, and use it for various post-shot effects. Do you consider it a welcome and useful invention, that adds significant value to the smartphone cameras realm, or is it more of a gimmick innovation for the sake of it, whose effects people won't use on a regular basis..?
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1467; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I don't know haha but I voted 2 bc I ordered a HTC One (M8) for that cool effect haha. Actually it's more for the build quality and front facing speakers. I don't take pictures that much at all, the picture quality isn't the #1 deciding factor for me
33. AbhiD (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
you could have ordered Z2 instead! All the goodies of htc one + extra amazing stuff that can easily smother the one
34. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1467; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I could have, but being on AT&T they don't think they are going to carry it. Beside, if Z2 does come out on AT&T I'll just use my line's upgrade to get it since I used my gf's line's upgrade to get the HTC One haha.
38. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1238; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
z2 useless big phone watch the drop test on m8 10 feet face down fine driven over with a suv still fine. all drop test great phone z2 first impact shattered.
11. karkavelas (Posts: 58; Member since: 25 Oct 2013)
People who are voting the 1st option, are the same kind of people who think that the s5 looks good...
22. draconic1991 (Posts: 176; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
The second camera was okay if it wud have been an additional feature...so only when the quality was already great...cant take that as a selling point...so definitely not the 1st option...
31. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
fools that cant get over that HTC is dead.
36. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1238; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
me 1st not for pro camera use when in air conditioning you take a pic of a data plate some things are out of focus this could save a drive back or taking multiple pics on a job.
2. josephnero (Posts: 325; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Useless for me a tleast.i prefer Z2 this year even though i will skip it and wait for SD805 devices
4. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1467; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Just wait until August/September for Z3 :D It'll probably be using 805 by then
48. josephnero (Posts: 325; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
thats my plan.I hope Z3 will hit major Us carriers
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3326; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Don't wait for the 805. 2 options: buy a device now or wait for 2015.
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3326; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Unfortunately a gimmick.. I had high hopes for nothing. Z2 for me.
58. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
i felt the same to, sony Z for me to
7. ScottSchneider (Posts: 323; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Dual Camera - Gimmick (If we say the Fingerprint sensor is a gimmick then this too is)...
OIS - A Must req for Mobile Cameras...
9. papss (unregistered)
lets be honest... SS is the king of gimmicks but again who cares? They sell a sh!t ton of their gimmicky phones so why change
16. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1043; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
finger print isn't a gimmick because it's somewhat usual tbh the only gimmick thing about are the ad apple make for it !
20. papss (unregistered)
But its not all that practical really. Its slower than sliding, its not all that more secure than a password and the NSA has access to your finger print (okay this one is me being paranoid)
28. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1043; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
yeah but my friend says it makes itunes password so much easier to use finger print and in most cases he just uses it to unlock
and the nsa have your finger print on your birth certificate anyway :) !
never had personal experience with it
23. fireblade (Posts: 714; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
yes finger print is a gimmick. Just use pattern or pin for the security
8. papss (unregistered)
I ordered the one but I'm not sure the camera is that great.. But who cares? I have a L1520 as my daily driver and will be due for another upgrade in Nov so these two will hold me off and if not there is always Craigslist lol. I can't wait to get my hands on the dark aluminum one.. Currently flying from TX to me in OH
32. papss (unregistered)
Na I just have a great wife that lets me buy/sell my phones on demand.
10. Lyngdoh (Posts: 225; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I prefer the extra camera over heart rate sensor.
14. magnanimus (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I prefer just a good OIS camera over both
24. Jason2k13 (Posts: 657; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i prefer a good camera + heart rate sensor
12. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2010; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Ouch!!!! LoL the results don't lie @htc
15. Lt.Green (Posts: 397; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Gimmik. There are numerous apps that can replicate these features, if not better.
17. Psycorp (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
If they'd have put an 8up or higher camera in it with OIS, rather than the Duo gimmick, I would have bought it. As it is I'll be going Z2.
18. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
I read the post on AnandTech and the second camera in M8 is the old front facing camera from M7, which only collects the depth of field.. So they ditched OIS and not increased the sensor size to at least 8MP and the pixel size too..
P.S: A bigger sensor from the iPhone 5S(for example 1/2.3" size like in the S5 and Z2) with 8MP would be the best for low light on the market..
21. fireblade (Posts: 714; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
I like the dual camera but please increase the megapixel too. 4 MP is too small. Give at least 8 MP
25. pwnarena (Posts: 977; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the one demoed by corephotonics at mwc is the right implementation of a dual-lens system. htc's is pure gimmick.
what htc is doing can be achieved with the software. even better. just look at their samples. even the supposed center of focus is partly blurred.
29. tiara6918 (Posts: 1542; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
It's innovation. Htc is a company that innovates and doesn't do gimmick. Well atleast if you think the bokeh effect can be done without the secondary camera sensor, htc hasn't probably figured out how to make it possible with doing just one sensor.
30. kanagadeepan (Posts: 725; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Its one unique differentiator, that nobody wants...
40. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1238; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
like the heart rate monitor hahahaha at least the htc has the ped meter in it
35. alumoyo (Posts: 239; Member since: 26 Aug 2013)
So looks like the latest craze is adding hardware gimmicks to bring functions which existing apps can already do - first Samsung with their heart rate monitor, now this. JUST GIVE US 5X OPTICAL ZOOM IN A REGULAR SIZE WITH NO HUMPS ON THE BACK. SIMPLE!
41. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1238; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
hard because people think they want a thin phone cant do that look at people screaming about bezel i think phones are getting to thin and wide now.
37. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
HTC One M9 needs to have 10mp camera because I am not liking this. I thought M8 would be my phone but the camera is disappointing which was a big selling point for me. Seeing what Samsung, Sony, LG and Apple is doing with their cameras I can't see how 4mp will keep this up. HTC you have done a great job and the only thing now is the camera. The rest is sorted out. Well done! Perfect phone except the camera.
You are lucky I'm going to wait for another year before deciding for a phone.
42. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1238; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
apple said they are not joining the mp war they are keeping 8 mp on the ip6
49. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
8mp is fine. I never said you should higher the mp count just for the sake of it. But I said look what apple is doing. 8mp is just fine. I am talking about the quality and 4mp is too bad.
43. iushnt (Posts: 762; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
16 mp isocell camera and heart rate sensor is much better than mediocre duo camera. I see that HTC beats s5 only in terms of design which is not the main purpose of a smartphone.
46. papss (unregistered)
So when did the heart rate monitor become part of the purpose of cell phones?
44. cR203 (Posts: 189; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I think HTC should just dump the ultrapixel camera and just use a 8,13,or 16 mp camera. Or they should revamp their so called ultrapixel camera and make it better.
45. PBXtech (Posts: 983; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Gimmick. These are the things you do after you install a fully capable and outstanding camera, not before. OIS at the bare minimum.
47. papss (unregistered)
You mean like SS did on the note 3 and others did with their cameras? No one thought ois was important before Nokia did it, now everyone HAS to have it
50. Amir1 (Posts: 274; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
phone arena, why do you ask rhetorical questions?
51. protozeloz (Posts: 5381; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
The dual camera features are nice, but I think HTC needed to improve image quality (by using a better sensor) its gimic because the quality is not so great, butl I could actually see it being used by a company that's willing to tow in some more power to the camera
52. threeline (Posts: 259; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Gimmick! Is this company stupid or just plain lazy? Why name the phone the same name as last year's model and why use the same camera no one liked on last year's model? So now you have potentially a better front facing camera then the main camera. I see why they are struggling.
53. LeBrownJames (Posts: 157; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
GIMMICK! Even with that duo camera thing, UltraPixel is still an epic fail!
54. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6738; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
First of all i wish people and blog sites stop using THE WORD INNOVATE there's really nothing innovated on a smart phone.
56. true1984 (Posts: 593; Member since: 23 May 2012)
2 cameras, 2! i give them credit for at least trying something new but yeah this is a gimmick
57. morijoon (Posts: 25; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
htc phone is the best i not care about camera and loss the body quality and super lcd for dark amold and also the great speakers and great result the battery
59. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1162; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
EVEN NOKIA REFOCUS APP IS BETTER THAN THIS.