HTC Inspire 4G vs Samsung Infuse 4G vs Motorola ATRIX 4G: specs comparison

0. phoneArena 07 Jan 2011, 17:17 posted on

AT&T does not have a huge LTE network to make headlines at CES, but it still has its pretty fast HSPA+ network. However it is not just about the network, it is also about the phones. Well, these three AT&T smartphone freshmen did make the headlines...

posted on 08 Jan 2011, 01:59

1. jatin78 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Dec 2010)

Motorola Atrix beats everybody hands down. wow

posted on 10 Jan 2011, 22:03

3. 4g (unregistered)

hhhmmm...not really, 5 megapixels AND 0.3 megapixels cameras??? 4 inches and NOT super amoled plus display? but maybe you were misreading the specs

posted on 12 Jan 2011, 18:35

6. smileforyourfuture (unregistered)

Actually, the resolution of the display on the atrix is better, is it not?

posted on 15 Feb 2011, 15:29

11. crizz (unregistered)

no way its got a hella shitty camera

posted on 22 Jun 2011, 01:02

31. Paul Blart (unregistered)

thats the same camera the iphone 4 uses for the front facing one, and the camera isnt what makes the phone good or bad

posted on 09 Jan 2011, 11:56

2. Enlight311 (unregistered)

ATRIX!!!! even the name sounds cool!

posted on 11 Jan 2011, 01:47

4. dude (unregistered)

I was really excited about the ATRIX, but the cameras and the screen are fairly weak compared to the other two. I'm sure it's fast as hell, but I'm just wondering if I'll ever really notice the difference between the three. I would personally prefer to go with HTC, I'm just slightly annoyed that it doesn't include a front facing camera.

posted on 18 Jul 2011, 11:27

37. caco944 (unregistered)

Actually, the HTC Inspire 4G has a front camera hidden at the right side of the earpiece, look at it closely, the information about it in this table is kinda wrong, you can take a better look at this sitehttp://geektech.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Inspire4G_Front.jpg
greetings

posted on 01 Aug 2011, 19:50

45. cbb (unregistered)

thats an led not a camera

posted on 12 Jan 2011, 12:55

5. android* (unregistered)

for you guys saying that the atrix screen is not up to par with super amoled plus you have to look at the resolution of the screen atrix has the best resolution and the 5 mp camera means nothing because look at i phones camera it was said to be the best mobile camera period. on top of that the atrix is going to get an update that will alow it to shoot video in 1080p while the other two will still be shooting 720p. that qhd display the atrix has stands for quarter HD that on top of just how much fatser it will be then the other two phones clearly show that the atrix beats the other two, infact the motorola atrix nick name is the best smart phone ever, it has been commonly called this by bloggers and tech reviewers alike.

posted on 19 May 2011, 13:02

24. stillundecided (unregistered)

I think you missed that the Infuse starts with 1080p capture support, but I'm glad to know the Atrix will get it eventually...unfortunately that balances the two out again when I thought I'd made up my mind for the Infuse.

posted on 31 Jan 2011, 17:39

7. gamerboy (unregistered)

Yea but the Inspire has htc sense which kills motoblur
Plus, htc's second generation snapdragon processor is just about as fast as most people really need

posted on 07 Feb 2011, 21:34

8. Galaxy S (unregistered)

It is to early to say anything about these phones. But when we look at the track records of these companies we all know Samsung display is unbeatable. My friend has droid X and I have Galaxy S and difference is like night and day. When it comes to cpu speed and dual core how much difference would that make in real life usage has to be concluded when these phones are out. But I tell you one think Since I start installing custom ROM's I have test my phone many times and concluded that higher benchmarks never made a difference on daily usage of my phone on the contrary faster you go more unstable your phone gets.

posted on 07 Feb 2011, 23:29

9. MOTO (unregistered)

The Atrix wins hands down! The Hummingbird and the snapdragon have nothing on the tegra 2. Atrix wins in almost every category, i would even say it has a better screen because of the resoultion. Motorola>HTC>Samsung

posted on 09 Feb 2011, 20:13

10. JSizzle (unregistered)

Atrix wins. IT may not be a 4.3 inch screen, but to me 4.0 is the perfect size. The 4.3 is a little to big for pocketability, and the 4.5 will be even better. The atrix has the the best resolution to, coming very close to the iphone. It also has a dual core processor that will handle the software much smoother. also, it not only has 1 gb of ram, but 1gb of DDR2 ram which is much faster than any of the other's flash ram. the camera may be a 5 megapixel, but like others have noticed, the megapixel doesn't always determine which phone is better. The iphone only has a 5 megapixel camera, but performs better and brings truer colors than most others so we will have to wait on that. There is a reason that Motorola released all of these stats prior to it's release. That's because they are proud of what they made and know that it will take the place as the best smartphone on the market.

posted on 17 Feb 2011, 13:58

12. Zumas (unregistered)

The atrix's display is choppy and grainy. Its fast and has neat little accessories but i am sure the samsung and htc will be all around better phones.

posted on 21 Feb 2011, 05:23

13. HTCguy (unregistered)

I bought the htc inspire and its great! also the infuse looks like its gonna be pretty awesome as well but the atrix..eh i just dont like motoblur. Dont get me wrong the atrix will be a great phone but i think more people will end up going with the inspire or the infuse because of htc sense with the inspire or the super amoled display on the infuse. people who want to pay up the 500 for the laptop to go with the atrix i say go for it. as a whole package the atrix is pretty sweet. but thats a 700 dollar phone! ouch.

posted on 01 Mar 2011, 12:24

14. FLLou (unregistered)

I'm leaning toward the Samsung Infuse for the 8 MP camera and 1080p video. I've seen awesome video with a 5 MP I-phone 4 - Atrix is probably comparable. But, with 8 MP you can zoom even further without grainy shots.

Also - not sure why everybody seems to hate MotoBlur (haven't heard anything good about it , except from Motorola). Sounds like it's a mod to the OS, not just something you can delete/disable?!?! Can you change the OS back to Droid?

Does anyone know when the Infuse will be available? I heard 2 Q/2011.... but that could be June 30th!!!!

posted on 02 Mar 2011, 15:14

15. EndUser (unregistered)

With all the additional hardware available in the Atrix, MotoBlur really cuts you off. The lag experienced due to MotoBlur is appalling - I can count the time it takes for me to scroll between messages!!!. I just got back from the AT&T store after returning the Atrix. YES, I just returned the atrix! 4 days with the brand new phone and here is what i experienced so far - 3 system hangs, 2 lost GPS signals, 1 call drop, 1 night of battery drain (missed my morning meeting because of that!), a average of 3 bars of the so called 4G network.
All said and done, the phone is good for docking and browsing, but lets get real, would be carrying all that along everyday? only to face a sham 4G network that really doesnt give you the speeds that an even a 3gs iphone does!!!
My verdict - the phone is good provided:
1.Motorola discontinues MotoBlur
2.At&T delivers a true 4G netowrk
Trust me, the above two issues might sound trivial - but the really actually killed the phone.

-Back to iphone

posted on 17 May 2011, 11:17

22. det41 (unregistered)

apple fan boy!!!!!
since i work for at&t i can simply say you are wrong. hspa+ is faster than 3g but i dont expect an apple fan boy to give the phone a real shot. besides no company offers true 4g yet. even lte isnt really 4g

posted on 21 Aug 2011, 14:14

48. Armand (unregistered)

I'm not the same guy you responded to but, apple fan boy? Where the hell did he saying anything about apple? The Atrix is a great phone and the gingerbread update pretty much removes motoblur, making it an amazing phone, switching from Inspire 4g to Atrix.

posted on 15 Sep 2011, 15:49

52. Win7 (unregistered)

I am not an apple fan boy though I've had multiple iPhones and now own an iPad 2. You are incorrect about 4G. Sprint has a REAL 4G network. We have "data races" at work (Programmer Geeks) and the AT&T and Verizon phones are still sitting at the starting line when the Sprint phones are finishing. The best of them are the Win7 phones. I hated Windows mobile, but 7 is amazing.

posted on 06 May 2011, 16:58

17. Mike L (unregistered)

i personally have the atrix it is a great phone and despite people thinking the screen is shitty and grainy i have found it to display great. It even works fine outside.

Also....seems like everyone is whining about Motoblur
well obviously they havent done their homework

im also not a fun of motoblur so i installed launcher pro
which gets rid of motoblur and runs launcher pro as the interface instead
absolutely no lag experienced switching between apps and such
while i had a bit of it with motoblur

i like running teamviewer from my phone and the 1gb of ram and dual core processor really help there. However if your one who doesnt many demanding tasks on your phone i would give the infuse and inspire a chance.

lastly, the atrix is only running android 2.2 at the moment
the android 2.3 os is coming soon for the atrix
but it wont be till android 2.4 when the android os is optimized for dual
core phones So dont think what you see in the atrix now is the best youll get out of it

-Mike

posted on 11 May 2011, 11:02

18. jg (unregistered)

i have atrix phone can you tell me how u installed launcher pro what do i need to do to get this on my phone thanks.

posted on 14 May 2011, 16:37

19. Dont care (unregistered)

go to android market and search for it. it should be free. just download it then selesct as your default. when u go into an app then press home button it should ask whether u would like to set as default or not.

posted on 15 May 2011, 08:21

20. Deekaleek (unregistered)

I have a Overclocked 1.2 Ghz Samsung Captivate and my screen looks much better and is faster than the Atrix. When you hold the two together it is easy to see the difference. Plus it gets a lot of developer support and with a custom rom it runs 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Atrix gets little developer support and custom roms are few and far between as Motorola locked the bootloaders. The infuse may be good but I am holding out until I see if the bootloaders are unlocked. I am disappointed that the Infuse came out with only 2.2. I feels like its a step backwards. Did I mention that with my I 9000 Captivate that I can now run Netflix on it. The Atrix may not see that for a while. Dual core will be a beast when 2.4 comes out. BTW the stock Captivate sucks and without outstanding developer support I would have gotten rid of it months ago. I do like how the Atrix and Inspire get good over the air support. Samsung can be disappointing in that area.

posted on 17 May 2011, 11:13

21. det41 (unregistered)

andriod 2.2 doesnt even use both cores in the atrix

posted on 17 May 2011, 15:36

23. Wii not fit (unregistered)

I work for AT&T and i have to say, very disapointed with the Atrix. MotoBlur is awful in every single way, 540 * 960 looks like crap, feels cheap and fake. The only customer that buys this phone is for the dual core processor or for HDMI access. Thats it. Accesories are cool, to bad there too expensive for most people, not to mention the infamious LapDock doesnt work without the phone-major letdown( for Customers not knowing ). HTC, much better phone with a few glitches here and there, why? because its simple,No MotoBlur (thank baby jesus) but htc sense which is very easy to use and people like that, 480 * 800 looks much brighter and better. Well constructed, feels expensive and sexy. Infuse, is much like the HTC, with a couple of perks. So far i find the phone to be a great up-sell from the HTC especially with people wanting a front viewing camera like the Iphone 4. Granted, anything is better then a Iphone 4. Except the Atrix.Thats all i got.

posted on 31 May 2011, 09:21

25. jeff (unregistered)

I work for at&t i hate the Atrix Glitchy slow and motorola sucks remember the backflip that thing sucked. Its got a duel processor for when it is hooked up to the labtop dock. The infuse is by far the best. I have all three live in my store and the infuse is just amazing

posted on 07 Jun 2011, 06:03

27. Giovannie (unregistered)

Hi you work for At&t i think you can help if you want I have HTC Inspire 4G but Im thinking Change it Who have faster modem the
Atrix, Infuse or Inspire

I use the phone to much like a modem that is why I want to know who Is faster

posted on 22 Sep 2011, 13:05

54. Thanks (unregistered)

Thank you. I am soon ready for an upgrade and trying to decide between the Inspire and the Infuse. Not sure, but now leaning more to the Infuse.

posted on 07 Jun 2011, 05:59

26. Giovannie (unregistered)

I have the HTC Inspire 4G but the samsung infuse really is good and the motorola atrix I use a lot the phone for tethering that is why I want to know
Who phone is the faster modem?

posted on 07 Jun 2011, 12:00

28. john kyle (unregistered)

OMFG don't get the atrix after a couple of weeks that i've had, it's lagging. the screen looks terrible. the camera SUCKS. idc about the inside just as long as it looks nice and fast, but you ain't gunna get that with the atrix. my mom has the inspire. and it's WAYYYY BETTER than the atrix. idk about the infuse. but it's wayy to big. it looks like a PDA.

posted on 10 Jun 2011, 16:33

29. Atrix4ever (unregistered)

If you aren't a photographer, you won't notice any difference in the camera.
I personally bought the atrix when it was on sale at Best Buy for $99.99, and i love it!
The only problem is that as of, there is no HDMI mirroring. It just opens the "HD center", but since the others don't have any HDMI, I'm not complaining.
The only annoying thing about it is that with low to medium usage (I use it heavily), the phone loses so much battery! The simple answer is to carry the charger or another battery, but it's annoying because I came from a slider phone that could go a week without charge.

posted on 19 Jun 2011, 21:59

30. MissDee (unregistered)

I'm a new customer to AT&T & I have the Motorola Atrix.........I've had it for a few days now & I'm taking it back!!!! The screen is grainy, the camera is AWFUL & it lags. It does have soon cool accessories but this just isn't the phone for me!!! I think I'm going to go with the HTC Inspire........I've heard the battery isn't that great but it's a little more user friendly.

posted on 05 Jul 2011, 16:19

32. nwarbreeze 123 (unregistered)

ATRIX 4G IS BETTER IT HAS MORE UNIQUE STUFF THAN HTC PHONES SO SHUT UP

posted on 12 Jul 2011, 08:14

33. joe jigger (unregistered)

I got a motorola atrix and it rocks but i was sad about the not having an 8 mega-pixel camera.

posted on 12 Jul 2011, 08:16

34. joe jigger (unregistered)

SAUSAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on 15 Jul 2011, 17:10

35. bhmofo (unregistered)

just got he Inspire a few days ago and LOVE it. the UI is very fast and so far, I've gotten HSPA+ most places and it is so f**king faaaast on this phone. the camer is great and the actual phone is very well built and solid. i played with the atrix in the store and did not like it from the start. the UI is ugly and slow as s**t and the phone's physical build feels cheap. I like the infuse a little bit but the inspire is big enough.

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 06:27

36. Thomasmk (unregistered)

I am between the HTC and the Samsung, but leaning toward the Samsung. Any suggestions?

posted on 22 Jul 2011, 05:47

38. Jennifer Wade (unregistered)

It was truly interesting comparison Google my personal choice is Samsung cause they have utilized Android in the perfect manner with their manufacturing skills. Around 2 years back there was nothing but Apple but Google the technology giant provided the finest chance to many companies and companies like Ozitechnology, Amazon, Samsung and motorola have done a great job in the field of android devices

posted on 24 Jul 2011, 18:24

39. john (unregistered)

I travel alot with a laptop along and have been toying with the idea of getting any of the 3.5g or faster cell phones to replace my wired internet service and have a single mobile hotspot with me anywhere in the US.

Over the last three months I've tried out the offerings from AT&T (Motorola ATRIX, HTC Inspire, Samsung Infuse) and Verizon (HTC Thunderbolt) at a variety of US locations (in the stores) to see what performance I could actually get today and expect in the midterm (next 2-4 years) from both the phones and the networks with strong preference to keep with AT&T (international GSM voice network roaming).

With that said after more than 10hours using the Atrix, Inspire, Infuse (&Thunderbolt) I found the following:

1) Infuse is clearly the best display (high resolution and size combination) then Inspire and lastly Atrix. If you have larger fingertips you'll find typing on the Atrix a challenge (sweetspot on touch screen too small) Inspire and Infuse much better. Although resolution of Infuse is less than Atrix I agree with those that found Infuse appears better than Atrix. Infuse amoled 4.5in display literally outshines Infuse or Atrix, is very sharp fast and smooth.

2) Operating system, user interface layout, and hardware processing wise my preference is Inspire then Infuse and then Atrix. I agree with those that have found Inspire (HTC Sense) interface and (snapdragon processor) the best. Inspire user interface is smooth, fast, and most intuitive. Infuse is also smooth and fast although a little less straightforward. Atrix is definitely fast but prone to slow downs and occasional freeze ups none of which were seen in the Inspire or Infuse. As some have pointed out this may improve in the future with better releases of Motoblur interface and Android operating system but out of the box today I would not rely on it for important voice calls like teleconferences (in one 4 hour test drive it froze up 5 times on me). Motorola definitely has the hardware processing power above the others but needs to work on getting it to play well all the time.

3) These are still phones and some people require solid voice and sound quality on handset or speakerphone. All three are quite good in this regard although I found Atrix speakerphone sound a little better than the others and liked Inspire handset sound the most.

[Continued]

posted on 24 Jul 2011, 18:26

40. john (unregistered)

[Part 2]

4) They all offered comparable internet speeds over the most commonly available HSPA (3G) coverage areas. Using the phone standalone or to connect a laptop (phones wireless hotspot capability). HSPA (3G) speeds [Springfied PA, Upstate NY, Beavercreek OH] were typically 1 to 3 Megabits per second (Mbps) for downloads while uploads could be half that. In areas where HSPA+ (what I call 3G+) is already available [Philadelphia, PA] speeds double that at 4 to 6 Mbps were seen for downloads. So for garden variety 3G that AT&T has very well covered across the whole United States the Atrix, Inpsire, and Infuse gave solid data transfer speeds [running Speakeasy or Speedtest.com speed tests on phone or laptop connected on the phones hotspot]. Looking forward AT&T advertises deployment of HSPA+ with advanced backhaul (i.e 4-6Mb/sec typical 3G+) across much the US this year that could improve to 14Mbps (typical average download speeds) over the next few years [TMobile possibly to be acquired by AT+T has already tested HSPA+ in the 20 to 40 Mbps peak range that gives those 14Mbps typical average dowload speeds in several US cities where folks are seeing 7 to 10 Mbps today in real use]. I believe Inspire/Infuse/Atrix are all limited to HSPA+ by virtue of the radio/modem hardware in the phones [have confirmed that Atrix HW is HSPA+ limited by qualcomm MDM6200 modem which only supports speeds up to 14.4 Mbps via hsdpa (i.e. HSPA+)] so even when AT&T rolls out LTE networks as planned for 2012 and 2013 timeframe these three phones will not be able to take adavantage of LTE.

5) Longer term Atrix, Inspire, Infuse will all support data rates competing with wireline internet on the low side (e.g. Time Warner cable Turbo DocSIS2 5-10Mbps download speeds) as AT&T rolls out HSPA+ but thats a year or more in the future for most of US. Only in select US cities can you get this capability today using different phones from Verizon Tmobile and Sprint but if history repeats none of these carriers will rival AT&Ts network build-out in the US.

Qualcom modem HW used in newer 3G+ and 4G devices:
+ MDM6200™: supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps
+ MDM6600™: supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 14.4 Mbps and CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B
+ MDM8200A™: supports HSPA+ data rates of up to 28 Mbps
+ MDM8220™: supports dual-carrier HSPA+ for data rates of up to 42 Mbps
+ MDM9200™: supports LTE data rates of up to 100 Mbps with full backward compatibility to dual carrier HSPA+
+ MDM9600™: supports LTE data rates of up to 100 Mbps with full backward compatibility to dual carrier HSPA+ and EV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B

[Continued]

posted on 24 Jul 2011, 18:33

41. john (unregistered)

[Part 3]

Several people in and around the mobile phone industry I have spoken with see things this way :
_AT&t, Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile are all racing to build out the fastest data intensive mobile networks.
_AT&T has the best overall network and is taking a slower but more deliberate strategy (3G 1-3Mbps across US today, 3G+/HSPA+ 4-6Mbps as early as end of 2011, 4G/LTE 6-12Mbps phased in 2012,2013 or slower).
_Verizon has fastest network today albeit with spotty coverage (4G/LTE 6-12Mbps in 30 markets e.g. Fort Worth TX, Mineapolis MN, Fort Lauderdale FL actually delivering faster 15-20Mbps to the initially small pool of 2011 LTE users) but widespread US coverage is (3G 0.5-2Mbps) generally slower than AT&T.
_Verizon 4G/LTE is today significantly outperforming wireline broadband with devices like the HTC Thunderbolt but is expected to gradually decline as their new 4G/LTE network absorbs bulk of upgrading 3G users.
_TMobile has largest (3G+/HSPA+ 7-10Mbps in 102 cities) network today but fall back (3G 0.5-2Mbps) footprint in US less than half of AT&T and generally slower.
_Sprint (4G/WiMAX 3-10Mbps) is even spottier than Verizon and fall back (3G 0.5 to 2Mbps) even less broad than Verizon.
_All of the 3G+ and 4G networks will have longer term problems of how to move their exploding volume of data across the underlying connections (referred to as "backhaul" or its improvements called "advanced backhaul").
_Several additional 3G+ and 4G phones will be released this fall at back to school and holiday junctures. If Apple does go forth with an iPhone5 later this year breaking their normal pattern of summer iPhone releases the other companies will stay clear of the initial offering, but it is not widely believed it will be seen this year.

posted on 26 Jul 2011, 19:11

42. Tom (unregistered)

Trying to decide what phone to buy ? I am asking for help. Need to decide now between the ATRIX, INSPIRE OR THE INFUSE. Appreciate any and all advice or help.

posted on 28 Jul 2011, 15:14

43. htc/moto (unregistered)

I don't know what to go with, someone tell me

posted on 01 Aug 2011, 00:15

44. AtrixFTW (unregistered)

I recently upgraded to the Atrix 4G from the Samsung Focus which had the Super Amoled Screen, honestly I like the Atrix better the screens no Super Amoled but it gets the job done and does pretty good doing it. I dont see any graininess although this may have something to do with me coming from an Super Amoled display with lower resolution and pentile display which was extremely grainy

posted on 02 Aug 2011, 16:13

46. ohhneill (unregistered)

I've own each of these devices and I have to say they all have their pros and cons.

The Atrix 4G is a speed demon but suffers from a average screen and build quality. It also has its fair share of software issue, Motoblur to be exact. Maybe the Gingerbread update corrected some of this?

As the Infuse 4G, it has the best looking screen out there, its light and thin but also suffers from Touchwiz software lags. Also the size might be an issue for some and when adding a case to it, it loses it's thinness.

I finally ended up with the Inspire 4G and I have to say I like it the most. It has a good combination of screen size, build quality, and software cleanness. Sense really is the UI king out of these phones. For some the drawbacks may include no front facing camera and no HDMI. I also find it a bit heavy, meaning a harder impact if its ever dropped.

Remember its just my opinion and what I use the phone for may not be the same as you will need it for.

posted on 09 Aug 2011, 15:33

47. drew (unregistered)

the htc inspire has the best screen... hints the hire number of pixels

posted on 22 Aug 2011, 21:46

49. anm2703 (unregistered)

I have had both the Inspire 4g & the Atrix 4g....

Had the inspire for a month dropped it once with a speck case on it, the only case avaliable at the time. The screen shattered at bottom & cracked all the way up....

Went back to att & used my upgrade to buy the Atrix( because I has just paid out right fot the inspire)... Used it for about a month, & hated it... The camera sucked a**, it took horrible pics... Gave it to my husband, & went back to my broken HTC Inspire.. He used to for about a month & went back to his iPhone 3G....

The camera may not be important for some, but to me it's a must, as a mother of 2 I depend on my phone for pics....the HTC Inspire, has twice the features on their camera, I've taken some better shots with effects on it, then my actual camera.. There were other things, I didn't like about the Atrix, I didn't like the way you had to send pic text, and it didn't recognize a lot of commands if it was on a flat surface & not in youR hand.

Now, my Inspire is having issues, wondering if the drop caused more then just a shattered screen... That being said, I'm on the fence of what to get now, clearly the Atrix isn't an option, but do I buy another Inspire, or try the new Infuse... ?

posted on 13 Sep 2011, 20:26

50. jasmynzdad (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)

I purchased the Samsung Infuse 4G, in my opinion it's by far the best phone I've had. And I've owned several smart phones.

posted on 14 Sep 2011, 20:11

51. luckimom3 (unregistered)

I just bought the INSPIRE last week and I really do like it, but I'm having problems with the battery going dead!! I charged it lastnight, got up this morning and talked to 1 person for about 10 minutes then I noticed I was getting the dead battery warning : ( It also gets real HOT to where I can't hardly hold it!! Has anybody else experienced this? Do I need to return this phone and get another one?

posted on 18 Sep 2011, 19:30

53. undecidedonwhich2get (unregistered)

It actually sounds like a bad battery. Replace it with a new OEM battery and make sure your using a OEM charger and not a 'knock off' that kills batteries with inconsistent amps and voltages running to your battery. I'm no expert but I worked in a cell shop awhile back and this cured a lot of customers' issues that sounded almost verbatim as to what you've described. Also same issue was happening to me when I got my first Droid, I sent it to Motorola within first week of having it they sent it back with a letter saying it's repaired. I installed battery they had me remove to send it in and once again same issues, on a whim I replaced the battery with new. I never had the short battery life or take forever to get the 100% charge again or the back door feeling like it could light a cigarette from the heat. I guess I had received a lemon for a battery when I got the battery new with the phone. I apologize for the long winded comment but I hope it helps someone.