HTC EVO Shift 4G getting update to fix MMS/SMS problem

Posted: , by Alan F.

HTC EVO Shift 4G getting update to fix MMS/SMS problem
A forgotten name in Sprint's lineup of 4G handsets is about to get an update to fix an pesky bug. The HTC EVO Shift 4G was launched in January of this year, which seems light years away when it comes to smartphones. A 3.6 inch WVGA screen and a 800MHz Qualcomm MSM7630 processor give away the difference that 7 months can make in the handset industry, although to be fair, this was never meant to be a high-end phone.

One thing that the HTC EVO Shift 4G has that its big brother doesn't is the side sliding QWERTY keyboard, which helps promote the device as a 4G enabled handset for those who like to text. The problem, though, is that a bug is affecting the ability of MMS/SMS messages to be sent to the recipient. The good news is, next Monday users will be getting an update from Sprint that is like the proverbial can of Raid-it kills bugs dead. Although fairy tale endings don't normally occur in real life, after the update to v2.76.651.5, HTC EVO Shift 4G users will live happily ever after.

source: Sprint via AndroidCentral

An update to v2.76.651.5 for HTC EVO Shift 4G owners is coming August 8th

An update to v2.76.651.5 for HTC EVO Shift 4G owners is coming August 8th

posted on 04 Aug 2011, 11:47

1. Nick (unregistered)

Update is available now. I just manually did the update. Im assuming the fix is there. Time will tell.

posted on 09 Aug 2011, 17:43

2. nikole (unregistered)

it did not fix mine still can not text certain people

posted on 17 Aug 2011, 12:50

3. jeniiiiy (unregistered)

Never had ANY problem with this phone until the update, freezes, won't let me text the last person that texted me, freaks out and goes to apps I didn't hit on., terrible.

posted on 17 Aug 2011, 17:24

4. charles.ross (unregistered)

I have searced everywhere for help with my HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. Its not the shift its the first version that came out last year. The phone power cycles on its own and I have tried numerous troubleshooting methods to clear it up. No one can seem to help me...even the techs at Sprint support. I was out of the country when this happened. After this issue, I'm having a hard time accepting my smartphone as reliable.

posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:07

5. chuc16 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)

The update probably didnt install correctly, u may have to factory reset that thing

posted on 27 Aug 2011, 13:56

6. zelthie (unregistered)

I agree with what someone said above; my phone didn't mess up until AFTER the update. Now it freezes all the time, texts mess up, apps and even the HTC sense have to constantly be "forced closed", my phone restarts sometimes, and the battery drains a lot faster. This is REALLY irritating.

posted on 01 Sep 2011, 02:23

7. evo shift :) (unregistered)

How do u take off the stupid auto correct while using the keyboard. It is rather annoying.

posted on 12 Oct 2011, 20:29

8. chrswgnrwv (unregistered)

I have an evo shift and have the same problems that most of you are having, when I call Sprint they say that no one is reporting problems with these phones and everything is going wonderful with them, I then reply with , "uhmmmm, yeah, so if you would like to come back to reality so we can fix this", but each time they want to do factory resets to where everything is wiped out and I have to redo everything on the phone, now if they manage to fix it after the reset and I go a week or two or even maybe three which is usually what happens, then have the same issues pop up, after I worked so hard to get my phone back to where it was, they want to do a facotry reset again, I have gotten to the point where I am refusing factory resets, but yet Sprint doesnt want to fix it, do yourselves a favor, go to another carrier!

posted on 15 Oct 2011, 22:43

9. Melissawilson13 (unregistered)

where can you find this update!?