H1 2014 in review: 6 flops and disappointments
6. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Well you should be excited for Q3 of 2014 before going into 2015. There's gonna be some beasts coming out
Galaxy Note 4
LG G Flex 2
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah but 810 comes in 2015. That's what will make more difference to the 800
21. apple4never (Posts: 1042; Member since: 08 May 2013)
woah, did u just call a sony phone a beast?!?!?!?
22. Amir1 (Posts: 305; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Yes, sony makes fantastic high end phones since z line started. they are sure beasts.
43. shadowwalker (Posts: 5; Member since: 21 Dec 2013)
hell yeah it's a beast.amazing design.android L. high end camera. awsome applications. what would you call it
2. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Display mate : samsung galaxy S5 has the best display ever....the most accurate colors...!
4. Iodine (Posts: 953; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Yeah that one... But which flop should be replaced by that ? There is room just for 5.
7. tech2 (Posts: 3011; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yet somehow they sold highest in the first half of this year. Its just one site's opinion.
Apparently, tech review sites sometimes forget to take consumers perspective into consideration which they should be serving in the first place.
13. Planterz (Posts: 1644; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
The mostly useless features don't stop the S5 from still being a hell of a phone. I wouldn't have added the heart rate monintor on this list myself. Yeah, it's a flop, but I'm pretty sure nobody bought the S5 over another flagship simply because it has a heart reat monitor.
The fingerprint scanner, however, is definitely a flop. There are definitely people who chose the S5 because of it, yet never use it because of its poor functionality. But even then, the S5 is still a hell of a phone.
31. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 158; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
I was hoping the fingerprint scanner was as good as apple's touch ID but the s5 's is a hit and a miss type of thing.
14. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Selling high has sweet fa to do with certain features' flops. Here's a hint: you don't know it's a flop till you buy the phone. Or if you're like us - the 0.005% of all phone users who read every review online before putting any money down haha
24. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1833; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I don't think S5 is any less bc of its flop but just like the amount of phones they put out, they love to give consumers as much as they can even it might be a bit overwhelming sometime.
36. DocOc (Posts: 138; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)
The masses don't care about specs and features....they go after name recognition. That's why Samsung sells so many phones. Sales rarely has a direct correlation with the best quality.
40. dil2abu (Posts: 216; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
It's because Samsung always tries (or copies) something new.. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.. But they know how to satisfy their low end to high end customers very well and that results in their sales..
8. HTCOE (Posts: 626; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
the first 3 were iconical flops from H1 though...that HTC camera and the gimmicks Samsung decided to add on the S5
10. Planterz (Posts: 1644; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
The UP camera on the M8 and the unavailability of the OnePlus One (and to a certain degree, the Sony Z2) combine for the biggest disappointment for me. If the M8 didn't have that stupid camera on it, I'd have jumped on one. Front-facing speakers, top-end specs, unparalleled construction, but such a mediocre camera. So instead I've been wating patiently for the OnePlus One.
15. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Can i just ask why the Z2 was a disappointment for you? Especially when the features you list the M8 as being great for.. are also found on the Z2 but with a very good camera lol. #doublestandards?
20. Planterz (Posts: 1644; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
The unavilability of the Z2 was a disappointment to me. Production delayed for a couple months, and it's still not "oficially" available in the US. In the meantime, the hype surrounding the 1+1 grew, and I figured I'd just wait for that phone. Now I can get the Z2 off eBay/Amazon, and the 1+1 is suffering worse delays than the Z2 did. But I can't afford the Z2 now, and I'm still stuck with this frigging tiny cheapo Samsung.
19. lallolu (Posts: 338; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
I would have bought an HTC but for the stupid ultrapixel camera. I guess they have seen where it got them. Just use regular camera and make the software good. I believe HTC would have got a lot of android converts from apple due to their very sleek UI and excellent build but I am sure if an iphone user compared the HTC one's camera with the iphone's camera he/she will be very dissappointed.
Too bad for HTC, they would have made it big this year.
37. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I have the m8 and the camera is stunning. I don't understand what this is all about. The camera is awesome.
38. gaara6775 (Posts: 738; Member since: 20 May 2014)
You'll never understand these people. They take photos n then crop it as it makes them feel they're getting DSLR quality like photos.
You enjoy your m8 mate ;)
27. james.blunt.1973 (Posts: 38; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)
OnePlus One is'nt available, remember! you should wait for GN4
11. enthasuium (Posts: 120; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Samsung Galaxy S5's heart rate monitor is not flop, 90% people use it. On someplaces its become a selling point for s5
16. promise7 (Posts: 576; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Where are you getting the "90% of people use it" data from?
17. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
90% eh? Please post a link to your creditable source. Or is that just your guess pal? Cos I can assure it is nowhere near 90% haha madness
26. tech2 (Posts: 3011; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Since u r asking him, you might as well link a credible source for your figure of 0.005% in comment#14 while you're at it.
29. StanleyG88 (Posts: 161; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
I've had a 3rd party heart rate monitor app on my Droid Razr Maxx HD for over a year and it works great. Not sure what the hoopla is all about.
12. alaw.14 (Posts: 223; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
I think samsung should have went with the iris scanner instead of the fingerprint sensor. But anyways the finger scanner works 90% for me and the accuracy of the heart rate is dead on. I actually let a cardiologist play around with it and let him compare it with his machines. He said that it works and is reliable.
18. promise7 (Posts: 576; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
The reliability isn't the question, it's the fact that an app can get you the same results w/o having to build in into the hardware of the he phone.
23. _Bone_ (Posts: 2149; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Sammy's fingerprint scanner works absolutely flawlessly, it just lacks education to teach ppl. how to use it and register it (like 3 different patterns for the same finger) and if you got the angle of the swype right ONCE, it'll work 100% of the time, I promise.
QHD - I'm quite disappointed. More than the battery and performance drain, brightness and even color accuracy seem to suffer from all those small subpixels and little room to light them. QHD on an 8" tablet and up makes perfect sense, but what also makes sense for such small subpixels is the use of AMOLED, cause it can be far more power efficent again because it is a light source itself not something passive with backlights.
28. banglazbless (Posts: 55; Member since: 05 Feb 2014)
PA have a grudge against good ole Sammy, so they have to list two reason for the s5 but fail to mention that huge bezel in the m8 which in my eyes is hideous.
39. alumoyo (Posts: 260; Member since: 26 Aug 2013)
I don't know about number 6 - coz YOU KNOW all phones are going there, sooner or later (probably SOONER). So its just evolution - how do you put that as a disappointment or flop. Totally agree on all the others - especially Nokia X. Was so excited about them but they just turn out to be garbage!
41. TisaTsir (Posts: 69; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
The sony xperia z2's 20.7 camera should be on this list.
42. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Dont know what author of this article is talking about? Nokia X series is selling like hot cakes in selected markets like India.
44. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Where is the author getting the info about QHD screens? The only tested so far is the G3 and it has a good battery life.