Google wins one for open standards: Microsoft to adopt DAV
0. phoneArena posted on 21 Jan 2013, 16:16
This one was something of a mess. It started just before the holidays, when Google announced that it would be stopping Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support for new free users, and would only accept new paid enterprise users for support. Microsoft was surprised by the move, and lashed out, but now the tech giant is yielding, and will adopt the DAV open standard...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. thunderbolt posted on 21 Jan 2013, 16:21 18 13
Beggars can't be choosers as the saying goes. MS is helpless ...
20. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:40 7 12
the only language that MS understands: force, brutal force.
39. jsdechavez posted on 21 Jan 2013, 22:49 1 3
MS better hurry up. They better not ruin the gaining momentum of Windows Phone.
42. anywherehome posted on 22 Jan 2013, 00:16 3 10
Google fights for us, for freedom....Microsoft just abuse its monopoly....get rid of that briber = Microsoft
47. anywherehome posted on 22 Jan 2013, 03:46 1 6
so translator, maps, codecs, standards for free from Google is nothing and thanks to that lower prices of h264 and other SW is still nothing?
Android for free to everyone is nothing?
if you think properly it helps us even for freedom
you are not pushed to use his services ;)
49. ogy_dogy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 04:50 3 1
Yes m8, it is all free, moneywhise, but you pay a price for it all nonetheless... google knows all there is to know about you, where you eat, where you sleep, what you like, dont like, for example which xxx sites you wisit andso on. So what you save in cash you loose in privacy, and for some people that is just unacceptable. So i say who cares about gCrap...
51. anywherehome posted on 22 Jan 2013, 05:55 1 1
yes....all that serve for ad business.....whats wrong? you are not pushed ;)
54. ogy_dogy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:27 0 0
Indeed i am not, thats why i try to avoid google wherever i can.
52. darac posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:18 2 3
That's just BS.
I'm not idealizing Google, but they are surely by far better company than Microsoft.
Only a blind ignorant hater will think otherwise
55. ogy_dogy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:31 1 3
Better? Dude i am a fan of windows phone cos i like the experience more than the others, and am not for a single second fooled into thinking a company the size of google or msoft or apple is "good". Why? They are after your money, one way or the other, so that cant make them good.
56. anywherehome posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:27 0 0
exactly....or Apple, Intel
2. sprockkets posted on 21 Jan 2013, 16:32 17 10
Haha MS forced to use an open standard.
And if MS is still wondering why Google won't give them any 1st class status on YouTube, just remind them who setup scroogled.com.
6. Droid_X_Doug posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:05 8 6
Open standards are against MS' DNA. Every one of the developers MS assigns to CalDAV and CardDAV will have to be isolated completely (as in separate work areas and what-not) from their non-open colleagues. MS can't have open sh*t going and contaminating the rest of MS' crew.
9. papss posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:20 10 10
How the hell do you know that? Or are you just spewing fanboy comments?
11. sprockkets posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:26 12 2
Maybe in the past it was, but they are forced to go more open standards due to competition, not out of their free will.
Just read the MS halloween documents/emails if you want proof.
3. Shino posted on 21 Jan 2013, 16:56 9 20
Wow, that's a big deal, really....bhahaha! It's Giggle who lose clients, because anyone who uses Win or WinPhone has a variety of choices for e-mail, inlcuding the most popular - hotmail/outlook. So this is a coward move from Giggle, but...we all know that if MS gains speed fast enough - bye, bye ads money from Handroid :)
7. champ_vl posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:11 17 10
Your lack of intelligence made me laugh. Thank you
53. darac posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:21 0 1
I notice a trend actually.
Most of those cheering for Microsoft just look like plain idiots..which makes sense, when you think about it
19. joey_sfb posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:29 6 2
M$ could ask for more money from the likes of Shino.
I am 100% for open standard because it level the playing field. Any one or company will good idea could implement solution make better product free from the harassment from old greedy corporation.
58. haseebzahid posted on 23 Jan 2013, 08:12 0 0
so u actually mean that BMW M5 should come free not for price but when u drive ads popup on ur screen all day :D
no one runs for free who is gonna pay for employees and bills and taxes googles compromizes ur privacy MS takes your money its not all that bad only you should know what you want to compromize.
its not good forcing same s**t on everyone not MS nor google. First MS use to do it now Google is doing same evil thing.
only change is people are now more dumb then before their phones are smart but they are not. half of people knows google gives free service but dont know how they make money then.
16. T.R.O.L.L (banned) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:11 9 5
He hates Google and Android, he's a Apple and WP fanboy.
21. gwuhua1984 posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:40 7 2
"most popular - hotmail/outlook"
I did not know that....
50. ogy_dogy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 04:55 0 0
Now you know, msoft owns 35% of the email clients market with hotmail and outlook, while gmail has 9%...
4. lubba posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:03 8 15
No troubles at all. Never use Google stuff besides Youtube, which is sad they have monopoly over. To the point, MS have everything I need, simple, secure, and more private.
8. Smg-Uk posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:18 7 16
Same here Google services are pretty useless apart from youtube.
40. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 23:05 1 1
it's easy, when Smg-Uk is on vacation, there will be S.m.g-U.k. lol
46. wp7tribes posted on 22 Jan 2013, 02:58 1 2
same here i don't use anything related to google except youtube
5. papss posted on 21 Jan 2013, 17:04 8 9
It's a give and take world.. M$ needs to conform regardless, in the world of tech things change daily.
I too barely use any google programs.. I do have a gmail account though. I stopped using goggle search and set up bing and bing rewards
23. papss posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:46 2 3
Lol I agree but I would rather that then to let my info go out to the highest bidder.
26. rusticguy posted on 21 Jan 2013, 20:22 6 3
Bing at one time was stealing google results ... not sure how it is now ...
29. rusticguy posted on 21 Jan 2013, 20:35 1 2
M$ even bought a domain -- bingsucks.com way back when someone else had it :)
30. T.R.O.L.L (banned) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 20:40 2 2
MS & Apple are the same
31. rusticguy posted on 21 Jan 2013, 20:44 6 3
But in 2006 it was a different story ---
Our friends up north [Microsoft] spend over five billion dollars on research and development and all they seem to do is copy Google and Apple.”
–Steve Jobs, 2006
32. T.R.O.L.L (banned) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 21:00 1 1
Do you use Linux rustiguy?
34. rusticguy posted on 21 Jan 2013, 21:11 3 1
My laptop is dual boot (UNBUNTU/XP) and workplace is all LINUX only for desktop with one XP session in vamware. We do have to keep XP (no plans to upgrade to anything beyond that) as we have to address support queries from clients on crap like Outlook. We use Mandriva/Ubutnu for Linux.
36. rusticguy posted on 21 Jan 2013, 21:15 3 1
Forgot to add ... on servers it is CentOS and no plans of any windows server at all. Have stayed away from windows on server for 12 good years now ... we sdtarted off Immunix Linux then went to RH7 as that was the latest in those days:)
35. threed61 posted on 21 Jan 2013, 21:15 3 0
The high and mighty turtleneck would certainly know about copying the competition.
45. wp7tribes posted on 22 Jan 2013, 02:56 3 1
and now google steal bing features rofl so much about innovative company its well known google is nothing but a copycat
48. Henrik posted on 22 Jan 2013, 04:26 0 0
There is always two sides to a story, who knows what the truth is?
57. thunderbolt posted on 22 Jan 2013, 18:33 0 0
Microsoft has a long history of paying bloggers and writers and gifting laptops for talking trash against competitors.
13. krulll posted on 21 Jan 2013, 18:28 2 5
the coolest thing about this is that WP will support native being that android does not :). I'm glad to know that Microsoft is committed as ever in this best for their users unlike Google and its crusade against competition.
18. blingblingthing posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:29 4 3
What is best for Google is to put it's users first. With Key lime pie set to release so. I would expect them to be hard at work on that and not trying to clean up after MS.
24. papss posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:47 1 3
So they told you their plans at google? You are so lucky
37. blingblingthing posted on 21 Jan 2013, 21:17 4 2
Whether their plans are what I guessed or others, Google has android, gmail, chrome, Google + etc to build. If MS wants to build locks tell them to make their own keys.
14. sprockkets posted on 21 Jan 2013, 19:00 5 4
What is "native being" ? You act as if Android doesn't support G+, gmail, youtube, google calendar and contacts natively either.
41. Amiya posted on 21 Jan 2013, 23:23 2 1
Hahahaa.......MS & Apple lost the war against Google . Because MS forced to use open standard , Apple forced to make 7inch tablet & multiple model of iphone , like plastic and cheap iphone..... & again in maps.......
44. wp7tribes posted on 22 Jan 2013, 02:51 0 2
this says a lot google doesn't give a s**t if they screw their clients while Microsoft shows they really care
anyways i have zero interest in gmail thanks to outlook