Google to open stores in major metro areas to sell Nexus devices and more
0. phoneArena 15 Feb 2013, 17:39 posted on
By year end, Google will have several retail stores in major metropolitan parts of the country with the first stores open in time for the holiday season; the goal of the stores is to push out Google branded devices to the retail customer, like the Nexus line, and with a brick and mortar store the prospective buyer can test it live before buying it...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
28. Synack (Posts: 668; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
This is exciting! I might just apply to work at a Google store for fun and extra cash on weekends! Maybe get a free phone out of it too, lol.
29. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
My only hesitation is having to sell and support smartphones that aren't made by Google. Kind of like what Microsoft has to do with the Microsoft Store. Still, maybe Google will only have mid to high end phones sold in the store and hell, maybe they won't do service in the store. We shall see!
2. Doakie (Posts: 1304; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Mmmm I like the sound of this. I have a feeling they'll be a lot less douche baggy than Apple stores. But they'll probably be a lot nerdier which is fine by me.
3. darkvadervip (Posts: 341; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Why somebody always got to bring up apple. This is a clean article. Darn just like what you like. I got an iPhone 5, my kids got android tablets and phones, wife got a MacBook Air, i got an iPad mini and a gateway laptop and I ain't complaining.
5. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Unfortunately, you gotta get used to it...
And then pertaining to the article....OPEN ONE IN PITTSBURGH I WANNA WORK AT A GOOGLE STORE!!!
13. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
If one of these open near me I would consider working there.
4. joey_sfb (Posts: 3095; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Google a new telco, free call and texting, Ad-supported. LOL!
6. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6674; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Release THE GOOGLE GLASSES and with youre UNLIMITED DATA PLAN I'm in GOOGLE!
7. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I've been thinking of this for a while, I would love to work at a Google store. Can't wait for these, but I think I live too far away from big cities to work at one; the closest "big" cities around me are Gainesville and Jacksonville, both well over 50 miles away.
25. JunBringer (Posts: 101; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
I would enjoy that as well. Hopefully they have one in Baltimore and/or Annapolis.
9. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
This is the year Google overthrows apple completely. There will be a new Motorola phone powered by a Tegra 4, huge battery, 1080p Super IPS screen, 3gb ddr3 ram, 64gb phone solid state, 64gb micro sd, 4g lte. Google will buy T-Mobile and offer $30 a month unlimited Phone, Text and 4g LTE and the Motorola phone will be available unlocked sporting android 5.0 for $400.
10. dynamo.one (Posts: 63; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
hope they use a super amoled non pentile
11. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Amoled is samsungs technology. They could use an OLED which is much better than IPS/Amoled, but they are very expensive.
20. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The latest Amoled screens...Pentile is really a non factor. It was barely a factor on the Bionic and RAZR. On the G Nex, Maxx HD....non factor.
But...if you can really see it alot and it bothers you...I understand not liking it.
12. a_merryman (Posts: 715; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Hmmmm, I think this would be a great platform to use to get the public excited and knowledgeable about google fiber before it comes to their area....
14. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Luckily at&t has said by the end of 2015 like 85% of uverse will be fiber optics, att has more resources they will beat google to the punch on getting fiber everywhere.
15. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Oh i hate standing in long queues ... waste of time ... prefer buying online :)
16. ThreeFourSeven (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I agree with you, Amazon all day but not everyone is like that. I think its a great idea.
17. nexusalltheway (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
OMG!!! I will switch my employer the day Google open up in Baltimore!!
19. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
On things for sure....Google came a loooong way from a lil known search engine in the 90's.
21. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
I hope they open up some stores in Chicago. Just one more excuse for me too spend the day in the windy city.
22. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
If they open a store in Saint Louis and if my manager gets his dream job and leaves, I will likely find myself in the line to work at it.
24. Griffin (Posts: 14; Member since: 13 Jan 2010)
A store would be spectacular for getting more product in to customers hands, however if they continue to not produce accessories for their products, it will be a tough road. People want cases and chargers available in store when they buy the product, not waiting 6+ months for simple chargers and cases to possibly be made for Nexus devices. I love my Gnex and Nexus 10, but am disappointed in Google for not being able to make accessories available for these products. Still waiting for N10 pogo dock.
30. oister85 (Posts: 408; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
This is bad for Google's patner like samsung, htc, lg. No one would want they device's