Google releases Chrome Beta for Android
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2012, 12:21 posted on
There have been plenty of rumors, and users have been calling for it for a long time. Well, the time is finally here: Chrome Beta has been released for Android. The browser has some pretty nice features, but one big caveat...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. solidsnakeduds013 (Posts: 218; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
There is only one phone that has ics right now sooo...
3. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
One official phone, a bunch of unofficial, as well as a couple tablets. Still, this is a beta, so theoretically beta products get released to a smaller audience. 1% is really really small though...
6. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
A little too small for a proper beta me thinks. They shoulder released on 3.0+, at least that way the ui would been mostly universal.
11. Scott_H (Posts: 167; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
I'm guessing that there are specific APIs in 4.0 that they need, otherwise you'd see a broader release.
15. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
indeed is the new API that allows the new fragments
26. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
1 percent of 250 million devices is still 2.5 million though. :p
I know the actual number of ICE devices is way smaller, but they should at least get a few thousand dude/ttes to download it.
12. Fayeznoor (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
the reason Google says its for ICS users is that they have enable Hardware acceleration in it which is not found on Gingerbread
24. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Well hopefully they'll release chrome for other versions in future...gingerbread atleast...for now...I'll install it on my Vibrant...got a excellent ICS rom on it (by neobuddy on xda dev)...Anyone can point me to a decent ICS rom for att galaxys2? been looking for a while now!
2. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Still sweet! I should be getting ICS on my photon at some point, I have started to really like the dolphin hd however so we shall see how they compare...
4. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Yeah dolphin has become default too, so Im really curious how this stacks up. Hopefully it has a desktop mode.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I tried the stock ICS browser and it beats dolphin with One hand (unless you dig addons) is fast is beautiful allows desktop mode I only miss some of my other tools but with chrome and maybe the extensions we can get that one too :D
14. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Oh cool can't wait to have ics on my galaxy s 2. I don't use extensions much in dolphin, its just my preferred browser because of the tabs and desktop mode. Well there is one extension i use all the time, the wikipedia extension. That should be a must in every browser.
16. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I really like that the new browser syncs my bookmarks but it seems chrome can even sync tabs with my desktop that's quite nice :D
hope you get your update fast!
22. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
oh and you can see a demo video so you can see it in action
38. JGuinan007 (Posts: 662; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Dolphin HD you should try Opera mini it's fast and won't eat up data I wonder if Chrome will work like Opera MIni if not I'll stick with opera mini
5. davidvvassallo (Posts: 39; Member since: 02 Jul 2011)
i am trying it right now it is awesome the best browser on android for sure
10. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
oh man right when I decided to stop testing CM9.... I needed my camera witch is not fully operational yet.... chrome or cam..... decisions decisions
13. Fayeznoor (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
before flaming google for ICS only, the reason Google says its for ICS users is that they have enable Hardware acceleration in Chrome , which is not found on Gingerbread
20. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
now you can get fappin' anywhere with a cellular or wi-fi signal! ;D
18. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
damn it! i got excited. now you really need to c'mon Moto. :P
19. abdane (Posts: 492; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
CANT WAIT FOR MY SGS2 GET OFFICIAL ICS !!! :D
21. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
im just happy that the chrome browser is in the market now we wait a few weeks for a update, that will support more phones not just ICS
23. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
here is a video for the sake of those who want to compare
27. imkyle (Posts: 1065; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Just downloaded it for my Xoom and the browser is ok. The layout is really simple and clean, but Flash is not supported yet (beta still). Give it a couple of updates and should be an awesome browser.
28. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i got it on my sister's Prime and it's the spitting image of Chrome with some ICS here and there. it's a little glitchy though.
29. AndresJ (Posts: 48; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Hope it will be as good as the one on my laptop
30. Ksupowercat13 (Posts: 15; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Its not that great yet but keep in mind that it is only a beta. It doesn't seem to be working with flash, no flash content, and I don't.know what he's talking.about when he says it looks good with ics because its a really light grey color, doesn't match at all. Other than that it is really fast and smooth.
32. ChafedBanana (Posts: 365; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
It's really nice on my SGN. Kinda makes me wanna go pick up the Asus Transformer Prime I was playing on at Best Buy because that has ICS on it too. It just needs flash.
33. Stuntman (Posts: 830; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Now I have a reason to look forward to ICS on my Eee Pad Transformer.
34. skymitch89 (Posts: 1243; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I'm sure that within a few days to about 2 weeks, someone over at XDA will have a version of Chrome for those of us who don't have ICS.
35. pooked (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
pages dont seem to render as fast as stock ICS browser or is it just me? im running Codename Android 1.3.2.
36. doubler86 (Posts: 320; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
I downloaded it and it is working great. It's a beta so it's missing certain things but it is soooooo much faster than stock or dolphin browser. The swipe gestures are really nice to go between all your tabs and you can close them like that as well, but with a better animation than the stock browser had. A lot of my friends are mad it's only on Android 4.0 though.
39. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Tested chrome...it looks and render pages with noticeable difference...i meant less time compared to stock browser. With ICS Google has bring Android user experience to heights...love it!
40. shnibz (Posts: 220; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)
Chrome is great!!! It makes me enjoy my galaxy nexus even more than I already did