Google ranks Fortune's best company to work for, Apple not even in top 100
0. phoneArena 18 Jan 2013, 06:48 posted on
Fortune has just released its 2012 ranking of the best companies in the world to work for and for a fourth consecutive year Google took the top spot…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. papss (unregistered)
That's mightily impressive. I would love to have those things at my job. Question though, how do people get anything done with all that goodness in your backyard
20. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I think of the Office Space quote:
"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."
31. AWiseGuy (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
"Question though, how do people get anything done with all that goodness in your backyard"
You tell them:
"See all this goodness? Yeah, if you don't get your work done, you don't get ANY of that."
After that, you assign them to projects they'll enjoy and are good at so that they actually *want* to work on the project. Once that's taken care of, you give them mandatory time off to work on their own projects and BAM! you've got a business model that keeps your employees not only working but actually wanting to work.
32. metalpoet (unregistered)
Id sell my soul just to be the janitor at Google! lol
45. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
big lol, but yes i can imagine people doing that haha.
2. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I would love to be a fly on the wall at Apple just to see what it's like to work there.
4. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
With Apple's security, even a fly would not be able to get to their top secret labs. I doubt you can even get to their cafeteria.
11. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5487; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Better than selling phones at a retailer who's losing market share every year.
19. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Who is selling phone at a retailer who losing market share every year? Are you talking about that Sam Sung guy working for Apple retail store?
34. metalpoet (unregistered)
he's either talking about RadioShack Corp. or Best Buy
24. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2449; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Hey Mr Personal Attack! When did you get here?
Did he say anything negative about your precious? No, so what's with the preemptive strike?
26. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Is there no limit to your insanity? Christ man give it a rest.
28. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Actually, Best Buy's mobile and computer divisions do quite well for themselves. It's the crap like appliances and DVDs which are dragging us down. Even if the rest of Best Buy dies (unlikely) the part I care about, the mobile division, will likely survive as a stand alone spinoff. I mean, there are already plenty standalone Best Buy Mobile stores, and they keep opening new ones, so they must be doing something right.
Did I just destroy your poorly thought out personal attack? Yes I did.
39. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I'm just surprised there arent more Apple fanboys claiming BS and other nonsense.
33. metalpoet (unregistered)
and what pray tell do you do for a living that is so wonderful mr mxyjfkasfndgptltk?
And I work retail selling cellphones and I love my job!
14. andro. (Posts: 1986; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Its quite probable that working for apple could be realistically called being under a 'regime'. The induction process must be mind altering, literally. With the market share for apple starting to decrease further across markets outside the US those unfortunate apple staff will no doubt start to be put under the knuckle.
3. Aeires (unregistered)
Foxconn, please take note.
15. andro. (Posts: 1986; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
No but it make sure it's workers are under a considerable amount of 'pressure' to churn out iPhones
16. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I don't think he said apple owned foxconn....
17. Aeires (unregistered)
Funny, I didn't even mention Apple. Your point?
35. metalpoet (unregistered)
Mxyzpltk, shut the f**k up!
6. tedkord (Posts: 6418; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Apple must have moved up the charts some now that its not headed up by a tyrant who stalks the halls berating and belittling people.
7. reyenrique (Posts: 99; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
it look like apple is out of money to pride fortune`s ^-^
10. -box- (Posts: 3951; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I like Google's workplace concept. If/when I start my own companies, it will be similar (though I had conceptualized such an idea after watching "Big" as a kid, way before google came about)
21. Fallout09 (Posts: 420; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Do Google employees get to work in a cool futuristic building that looks like a space ship? No, dont think so. So suck on that Google.
29. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You mean a building that doesn't exist yet? ;)
36. metalpoet (unregistered)
yeah and on their space lunch they get probed personally by timcook and steve jobs ghost! so shut it! apple is a sh*t company to work for!
37. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I gave it a green thumb...I assume its sarcasm....lol.
44. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
You just went full retard... you never go full retard.
22. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Hell... I'd like to work for Google too... Gym, naps, you name it, they have it.
23. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
You gotta have good programing skills....They name it, you'd better have it.
25. pholocity (Posts: 10; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
you guys have to remember they offer these amenities because they want you to stay and work ALL DAY LONG, point is they give you all this so you dont have to leave the campus...which isnt a bad thing
30. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
i wanna work for google. gonna graduate this june. hopefullly i can find a cool computer related job there :p
38. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I would love to wok at Google just for all the perks. I remember reading an article about Google and other places that offered perks. I thought Apple offered some too? Or maybe that was Microsoft. I cant remember who the other companies were. I do remember some were not in the tech industry
41. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
No suprise apple won't be visible even after 500 as the list will on. The poison fruit will never be popular even among animals and we are humans.
42. GoBears (Posts: 407; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Oops wrong thread. I thought this was 2012 most innovative companies ranking. Wait, it'd be the same anyway.
43. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Working for google is my dream job. I'd be a janitor for google.
46. bayusuputra (Posts: 957; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
So un"fortune"ate for Apple. Money can't buy us happiness.