Google promo picture leaks the Nexus 8?
0. phoneArena 03 Nov 2013, 00:19 posted on
Does a picture used by Google to promote Android 4.4 show a Nexus 8 tablet? There are two reasons why this might not be so far-fetched; consider that late last month, we showed you that a tablet believed to be the Nexus 8 had received its Bluetooth Certification.The second reason for believing this is that back in September, when the KitKat Android statue was being unveiled at the Googleplex, a picture showed someone using what turned out to be the Nexus 5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
20. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
If it is true, then it looks like a Sony device.
36. najariner (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
no it doesn't thankfully. Sony devices don't have rounded edges.
2. D.Aceveda (Posts: 392; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Probably. They still haven't announced a new Nexus 10
4. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
If they do announce the Nexus 8, I hope they learned their lesson from the recent Nexus 7, which had really disappointing battery life.
You can't use a tablet if it doesn't have enough battery life. People prefer tablets over laptops for web surfing because tablets are lighter and ought to last 10 hours.
8. Gulenkov (Posts: 49; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Disappointing? My New nexus 7 works two days without charging. I use it rather hard
24. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Gulenkov, you obviously don't understand industry standards.
Run time is tested based on continuous usage. This is not a difficult concept.
26. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol +1111111 my n7 2013 lasts 2 days with heavy usage too, plus on standby it lasts a week. plus maybe their gonna replace the nexus 10 with the 8 who knows
27. sniper1087 (Posts: 499; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
What is in ur opinion heavy usage? I probably use my tablet for hours none stop while at work, for web browsing, email, social networking and youtube, and there is no way to get the nexus 7 to last 2 days, more like 70 to 80% of the thing you call heavy usage is on standby, thats why it last you.
9. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
My new nexus 7 lasts 18ish hours of heavy use. About 6 hrs longer than my gfs iPad mini 1g. My chromebook gets 8 hrs on a charge while my laptop gets 4hrs. How long does your n7 battery last?
12. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 800; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
What are you saying????
Nexus 7 has amazing battery life....
2days for me...Medium usage...
Its by far the best tablet on market.....even after release of iPads..
Low cost, powerful and have you seen the display on it...????? Its so amazing... Better than any tablet out there....
Would not say that about Nexus7 (2012) edition... But surely 2013 edition is far ahead of competition...
13. Gulenkov (Posts: 49; Member since: 15 May 2013)
So, ardent1 is a troll. We all know he is lying
23. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
We also all know Gulenkov is trying too hard.
22. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I understand the TRUTH hurts.
"Another drawback: In my test, the new Nexus 7’s battery life was underwhelming. Compared with the same battery test of the iPad mini and first Nexus 7, it fell short at just six hours; the others clocked in at 10 hours and 27 minutes and 10 hours and 44 minutes, respectively. Google claims the battery life can last over nine hours, but the company tests it in Airplane mode (Internet connection off), with screen brightness set to 44 percent while playing video. I keep Wi-Fi on in the background and screen brightness at 75 percent while playing video."
Again, I am sorry if I bring unpleasant FACTS.
My advice, continue be to be in DENIAL or learn to accept reality.
33. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Except the truth is that running a tablet at 75% brightness playing non-stop video is an awfully specific use case which happens approximately never.
Realistically, people mix browsing, reading, videos, games, etc. and don't leave brightness that high all the time. It is conceivable that, in a real-world scenario, the Nexus 7 would outlast other tablets, or at least outlast the six hour measurement from this test.
34. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
It's the standard test they run -- the same test applies to the iPad Mini as well. It's a fair "stress" test.
The problem is Google decided to increase the display resolution AND decrease battery size at the same time -- it was entirely self-inflicted.
Now if you like to dim your screen so dark that you can't read the screen, then that is your choice. It reminds of the Game Boy Advance, the screen was dark so it could have longer battery life. However, with a dark screen, you could not enjoy the games.
38. Gulenkov (Posts: 49; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Who cares about those tests? Most people simply work with their tablet and they get at least 1 day of usage.
16. boosook (Posts: 1419; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Disappointing? Look at the comparison in this article and tell me if the nexus 7 is disappointing…
25. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Just more knee-jerk reaction by the android camp.
The iPad Mini has about 35% more display real estate than the Nexus 7, and last about 10 hours. Food for thought.
Allthingsd.com runs the same tests, so the results should be fair. They got 6 hours with the Nexus 7 with their tests.
28. N.Reynolds (Posts: 257; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
I love the battery life my Nexus 7 gets...
5. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Thats looks cool. Wouldn't mind having this alongside my Note 8.0
6. Captain_Doug (Posts: 990; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I would buy that thing in a second. Does anyone notice how tiny those bezels are? 7" screens are just a tad too small but the form factor is amazing.... why not both?
10. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
That chick is making a weird face
11. improv (Posts: 96; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
For the same reason that I prefer my 7.9-inch iPad mini to rivaling 7-inch tablets, I would love to add the Nexus 8 to my growing list of devices.
14. poping (unregistered)
slim bezels at last...!
pls don't forget to put in wolfson audio dac and the envelop tracker as well...
my life will be complete...
15. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Tegra 4 or snapdragon 800 if its real please.
17. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I have to admit 8inch size seems perfect for web browsing and that bezel! Google your spoiling us!
18. Doakie (Posts: 1865; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well it definitely has white icons on the top right corner in the status bar. But it's running an older version of the Play Store than what is out now. It still has the "my downloads" icon right next to the magnifying glass instead of it being buried in the hamburger drawer on the left.
29. Valanten (Posts: 18; Member since: 07 Apr 2009)
This guy "Ardent1" is most likely a paid Apple blogger! They always trying to prove that they are right when everyone one else know they are wrong
30. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
He is a troll that will be banned soon. Ignore him like me.
37. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
DukeX, your latest comments directed towards me have been nothing but personal attacks. If you don't like anything I've posted, then challenge them with FACTS, not opinions.
I will admit this, you are great at making personal attacks.
35. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I deal with facts.
There are people who don't know the difference between "endurance" and "efficiency". You ought to read some of the dumb comments by DukeX.
31. ahhxd717 (Posts: 332; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I recently got a Nexus 7 (2013) and it's awesome. The only thing is that I wish the screen were a little bit bigger, so this supposed Nexus 8 would be perfect. However I'm really enjoying the Nexus 7 experience.
39. Sakeem (Posts: 413; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Man........if this is true, then i have a tough choice to make between this and the N10. It will come down to specs I guess. I have a feeling i will lean towards the 8 though.