Google prepping new Linux 3.8 kernel, can you say Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie?
0. phoneArena 28 Feb 2013, 05:33 posted on
A new Linux 3.8 kernel repository has been uploaded by Google with the features including “Samsung Exynos DRM advancements, open-source NVIDIA Tegra driver inclusion and lowered RAM usage..."
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tahnik (Posts: 188; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Waiting for some extra-ordinary features...I don't want 200 useless feature(If you know what i mean :P)....
6. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
wait that means new nexus is on the way..................yeah....
17. Retro-touch (Posts: 273; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
No, Nexus will be around end of this year, KLP in may
21. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
This is true. But, we might see KLP on the X phone and for the Nexus 4 before then. KLP will only be announced in May. It will probably be late summer before the X phone and 5.0 are actually out.
29. cretinick (Posts: 148; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Or maybe we will see the KLP in a new version of the Nexus 7. Maybe a Nexus 8... The JB was released in Google I/O in the Nexus 7, don't it?
25. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13679; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
There's nothing in the article about a new nexus.
28. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well, as of late news version of Android usually launch with new Nexus, last year it launched with 2 new Nexus.
I doubt we'll see a new Android version or new Nexus at Google I/O this year, though. 4.2 just got released 4 months ago, I expect it later in the year, September-ish.
37. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Yes, but I think a new version is coming at I/O.
The way I understood it, 1 major update per year. Last year, that was Jelly Bean 4.1. 4.2 is minor; there was no name change and few new features. Even a couple of the features that were announced in 4.2 made their way to 4.1 (Google Now enhancements).
16. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
One would do it for me, split screen for all tablets.
22. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13679; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Extra-ordinary features that will only reach like less than 5% of phones
38. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
In what universe is 5% less than 0%? I say, release new features when they're ready. The 5% who get them are likely the ones who use them most (custom ROM users, Nexus owners).
2. PhoenixWright (Posts: 102; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
REALLY HOPE THIS FIXES THE EXYNOS ABUSE AND SUDDEN DEATH SYNDROME ISSUES FOR SG3 GNOTE2 :O
7. jonartpop (Posts: 186; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
I thought Samsung has already released updates to fix the suddent death for gs3, it includes on 4.1.2 jb!? Correct me if I'm wrong.
27. PhoenixWright (Posts: 102; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Is there a new kernel at 4.1.2?
I read the fix was a Custom Kernel :D
sorry for the ignorance :D
18. Retro-touch (Posts: 273; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Keep dreaming it will be ages before you see KLP in your S3 or Note 2
20. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
yup. I'm guessing it will be this time next year.
39. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Or when a modder gets around to it. You know, in about a week or two.
The beauty of free software. It's a breath of fresh air from the iOS proprietary cage.
43. joey_sfb (Posts: 5849; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I really don give a darm about upgrade as i buy phone every year.
31. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Yet they'll be the first non-nexus devices to get it well before the competition.
32. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Not with Google owning Motorola they won't be.
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13679; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I think that's more on Samsung not using better hardware than it is the OS.
33. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Pray tell your reasoning for this statement. Oh that's right, you're just trolling.
3. RohanM (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
hmm wow lower ram usage.... sounds gr8.... :)
5. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Yes - absolutely - I can say it!
Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie! :D
8. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
tegra drivers.....i guess the nexus 7 is getting this update too
40. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
No surprise. I expect the Nexus 7 to get Key Lime Pie, at least. It _might_ get Android L, but I kind of doubt it.
The question is the Galaxy Nexus. It depends on the features, but I'd expect that it should be able to handle whatever Key Lime Pie has to offer. It is two years old, but should have enough power.