Google may soon kill Google Voice and fold it into Hangouts
0. phoneArena 18 Mar 2014, 14:27 posted on
Google Voice has always been an oddity of an app. Diehard users love it, and often complain about how Google hasn't really done much to support the service (which still can't handle MMS for most users, and is limited to the U.S. only). On the other hand, many people don't know or care what Google Voice is because there is rarely any news about it. But, no news may be good news, because there is a new report that says Google Voice may soon be killed off...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
36. TheMan (Posts: 490; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Google Voice is the old Grand Central service that Google purchased in 2007. I used the GC service much more heavily than GV version, which was watered down, but still useful.
2. ThePython (Posts: 889; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I didn't even know there was a Google Voice!
21. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
If you have an iPhone or flip phone you wouldn't.
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13068; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
25. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Dear Lord, iStand corrected. We are all screwed; our lives will never be the same. I guess we can all go live vacuous lives and maybe take up bus driving.
27. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13068; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
You know there's no real shame in admitting that you're wrong.
8. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2703; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Sorry, clarified that. It means that rather than placing a call directly over a data connection, Google Voice will call the number and call you, then connect those two lines seamlessly in the background.
4. true1984 (Posts: 823; Member since: 23 May 2012)
thats weird, i've used google voice for international calls, since my fiance lives in japan on both my phone and tablet. but it is a passthrough service as well
5. exploreh2o (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
Any word how it will impact if you have a Google #?
11. ePoch270 (Posts: 183; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Yeah.. I use that number more then I do my VZW number. I hope I don't lose that.
22. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
My life is over, I have 5 Google Voice #'s; I would very much appreciate Michael's in depth investigation on this one!? PLEEEAAZZZZE, for the love of God?!
7. AndrewStow (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I use that number for everything. I text and call from this app more than I do from my carrier number because it's free. I hope it's not killed off.
9. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2703; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It seems more like the standalone app would be killed off, not so much the actual functionality of Google Voice.
10. Hammerfest (Posts: 383; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Still use Google Voice and Google Talk... Hangouts is still feature incomplete
14. skymitch89 (Posts: 1299; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
No, they cannot kill off Google Voice! What phone number will I put down when a website or something asks for my number & I don't want them to have my actual number? (Websites like getting an insurance quote.)
15. bestmvno (Posts: 251; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Your google voice number should remain in tact. In fact I often make phone calls via my laptop through hangouts, which gets routed through my google voice number. I would imagine they would keep things as is. Just the app which hasn't been updated in a few years will be killed off.
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13068; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Google forcing people onto G+ yet again.
20. silver91342 (unregistered)
I don't understand why people have problems with this? Google provides services free of charge and don't really collect anymore information from you that FB/Whats app/Apple/MS collect from you. Why not just sign up and never post to it?
26. lyndon420 (Posts: 4394; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
So why are you complaining? Is this going to affect you in some way?
28. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13068; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Maybe because I don't like using a service that won't benefit me? Why should I have to sign up for a G+ account to comment on YT videos or to leave reviews for apps in the Play Store? How long will it be before we're forced to make a G+ account for gmail?
29. silver91342 (unregistered)
If you are benefiting from google voice then you are benefiting from Google and those of us who provide ad revenue. If you don't like it there are other options free and paid.
As for YouTube I would rather have a name and profile connected to your comment so people are less likely to be a troll/hate if everyone can see who u are.
30. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13068; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Google benefits from me by the data, you know the data Google has on you where they know more about you than you yourself.
It's not about troll/hate comments. It's about Google butchering YouTube and forcing their social media service on us. Facebook is far better why would I want to use G+?
35. aahmed215 (Posts: 165; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
You don't have to use G+, you just need an account. If you still don't want that, then don't use YouTube.
31. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 173; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Exactly. I don't use Handouts because of G+.
18. JunitoNH (Posts: 1798; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Man, that will really sux. I had the service from day one.
19. Augustine (Posts: 1043; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I won't miss the Google Voice app. It looks horrible and hasn't seen an update for months.
Though the app can make VOIP calls, especially useful for international calls, it also uses plan minutes for that. I guess that Google didn't want to anger the carriers.
However, not only can the Google Voice app make any VOIP calls without using plan minutes on iOS, so can Hangouts.
32. ronjr123 (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I use it for voice mail. That way I don't have to purchase the carriers visual voice mail. And they keep for ever.
34. aahmed215 (Posts: 165; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
Even though updates have been slow for Google Voice, I've been using it since its first days where it was invite only. I use my Google Voice number a lot more than my actual cell number. I want to be able to keep that Google Voice number. So as long as I get to keep that number and use Hangouts, I'm fine with that.
37. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 549; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Who the hell uses all that stupid google crap anyway?: Google Music? Google Movies? Google Magazine? Seriously, what is all that junks purpose. I wish I could rip it out of my phone.
38. Augustine (Posts: 1043; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I use Music for the simple fact that it allows a huge number of tracks for free, so I upload them all to Google.