Google makes the Dialer awesome again: this is why you want Android 4.4 KitKat
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9726; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Already have 4.4 on my S3. Time to say goodbye before I pick up my Note 3 soon.
3. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Sumrf, i want to know whether video recording working for you on 4.4?
also which rom ? is it OmniRom ?
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9726; Member since: 14 May 2012)
No, screen recording isn't supported (yet)
ART is amazing, but you lose access to root if you have it on, which is why I went back to Delvik.
17. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Smurf, but i think if u are little budget oriented,you should buy 2014 flagships..
S3 is still a powerfull and capable for everything for todays need.
you just wait for next years flagships..that might be a big upgrade for you. What you say ?
And noo i will not tell this in 2014 to wait again for 2015.
19. andynaija (Posts: 619; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Lol just keep your S3 and get the next flagship after the Note 3. You're basically up to date already.
24. tentpole (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
No, the new dialler is a mess and a backward step. My Nexus 5 instead of presenting me with a long list of my most recent calls gives me a few numbers and a load of grey boxes. Am I now expected to find some beautiful shots of all my contacts to prettify my phone? No, that is not going to happen. The first thing I now have to do when phoning someone is go straight to the recent calls list (one more tap) or all contacts (2 taps) or search. I cannot change the dialler to always start with most recent calls. Unfortunately some Android UI "enhancements" are made by people living in Googleland. And don't get me started on binning SMS for Hangouts. I have never used Hangouts and don't know anyone who does. I straightaway installed Handcent and got myself back a simple quick SMS UI.
4. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
"the Moto X soon as well (it's hard to say about the DROIDs since Verizon loves to delay updates). "
Actually, the update process has improved greatly with Verizon. Soak tests invites are going out on the VZW Moto X. The recent update saw VZW Moto X getting the update a week after the other carriers started getting it. Then a week after that, the DROIDs got the update. And Motorola was quick in confirming that the DROIDs will get 4.4 soon.
18. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
Score, and confirmed, the recent soak test invites bring KitKat goodness to Verizon Moto X phones! That means that the DROIDs aren't far behind.
5. tsspro (Posts: 20; Member since: 18 Jan 2010)
There should be an whole review about the dealer and the hangout.
8. Leo_MC (Posts: 683; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
When did Google had an awesome dialler?!
HTC yes, but Google never had an awesome dialer.
9. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6031; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Except the new 4.4 is anything but incremental especially if you have a phone that has ram and memory problems.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9726; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Example: Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Optimus G, etc.
11. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I haven´t uses 4.4 yet, but I think that it will be remembered for it´s ART
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I doubt that because most people would point to Google Now as the big addition of Android 4.1, not Project Butter. ART and Butter are things only a small group of people pay attention to. Consumer features always get remembered more than performance boosts.
12. cj100570 (Posts: 204; Member since: 12 May 2009)
Google has never used the words Google Experience Launcher. I'm curious as to why every website has latched onto the phrase?
14. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Google has never used the term outwardly, but at least internally it seems to have been playing with that name:
20. GeekMovement (Posts: 1900; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Beautiful I hope Samsung changes the dialer on their touchwiz ui (esp on the note II) I dislike how it doesn't fill the screen unlike the S3/S4 (there's like a thick border around the buttons) and the appearance is not very appealing anymore.
22. iParkos (Posts: 12; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
On my Nexus 4 I installed the official 4.4, then installed the apk for Google Experience Launcher. The article states touchless commands won't work on non-Nexus 5's, but it does.
23. kefir (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
on receiving a phone number in hangouts, when I click it it opens in the new dialer. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way to send an sms from the dialer, I can only call it. That is an unfortunate limitation in 4.4 hangouts-dialer integration at the moment :-(
Or am I missing something?
25. bagou01 (Posts: 22; Member since: 20 Nov 2013)
Nearby places won't work for me.i tried pizza but nothing... And yes it's activated. Any idea ?