Google is donating 17,000 Nexus 7 tablets to New York communities affected by Superstorm Sandy
0. phoneArena 30 Oct 2013, 09:53 posted on
It's been just about a year since the Sandy hurricane hit over 20 States and caused damages estimated to be over $68 billion...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. in_core (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
But what about us? We are willing to pay for the Nexus 5. Release it already!
10. in_core (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
i really hope so.. and after that i have to wait about 10 more days atleast to get it in my country... dying for it :'(
2. JMartin22 (Posts: 1218; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
You won't see a rotten Apple doing that with their overpriced iPads. Good for Google and the families. I am a native New Yorker and I know how bad that storm was.
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8571; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Do you always have to talk bad about Apple? Seriously it gets annoying seeing articles filled with Apple comments.
13. cezarepc (Posts: 570; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
JMartin maybe paid by a certain company.
23. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Does it happen to own the name of the product in your profile pic?
9. promise7 (Posts: 467; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Actually since you're blinded by your ignorance and hate if you knew anything you would know Apple has donated thousands if iPads to educational institutions numerous times. I'll let you go ahead and Google that so you can actually out some time and effort into some work.
22. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Id rather see a company donate tablets to those who were almost killed in a damn storm than an education system. You can always learn something in life but you only live once....
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 11793; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Check the schools colleges, and hospitals apple had donated iPads too Mr. Martin. You're constant apple bashing is getting tired dude. This article mentioned nothing about them, u really like that green attention huh?
20. xfire99 (Posts: 535; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Those were refurbished Ipad 1 1st gen, by Apples trade in for Ipad 2 program. Those that they cant sell as new and at full price. Either word, they dont lose money and free commercial by donating old refurbished devices. Its a win win for Apple.
Googles 2,7M/17 000 = 158US = Nexus 7 1st gen NEW prices!
Apple have never ever donate NEW devices, but since Tim Cook become CEO, they did donates 100M US to charity adviced from Bill Gates and same time Google have never donate any money to charity either.
Companys should do more like this charity, they can afford with all the moneys they earned and good commercials for them too.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 11793; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't care what they were, they were donated.
24. xfire99 (Posts: 535; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Simple minded with and brainwashed is what u is, then.
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 11793; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That would be "you are", not "u is". The simple minded person is the one that would put "u is".
"Simple minded with and brainwashed is what u is, then." Nice sentence dude.
25. promise7 (Posts: 467; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Me too, these schools didn't have any in the first place. Do you really think they were going to go, no thanks this isn't the latest version.
27. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Yup much like ANF clothes were donated to victims of factory collapse in bangladesh I guess?
12. NexusPhan (Posts: 493; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Reminded me of the Apple "force for good in the world" article. Kinda funny how it's always Google that seems to fill that role yet doesn't feel the need to have their CEO going around advertising it to everyone. Actions speak louder than word's Cook.
5. sss_ddk (Posts: 61; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Microsoft should have done the same...900 000 units :)
6. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Every company is looking for benefits, but it's nice to see things like these once in a while. Really hope they do more of these in the future, so it's kind of a win-win situation for the needy and their brand reputation(marketing). If only all the thousands of wealthy and rich groups and companies did this, the world would be a better place...
19. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
I think by this time most everyone affected has got the basic needs taken care of, I would hope so. So the items that would be most needed are comfort items not necessarily needed.
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3012; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
"I don't have a home but i have a tablet"
17. _Bone_ (Posts: 2132; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Remember that Sandy blew away the N4, N10 announcements. Fair play Google, Apple claims to be doing good things while Google actually does good things.
18. amats69 (Posts: 1082; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Nice Google! but it think it is practical if you just give Food, clothes, Medicine, Water or just Cash instead of tablets because those are what they really need now.. But i salute you for this good deeds.