Google blocking Windows Phone from maps.google.com
Android and iOS users. Take YouTube. The video streaming site has a native app available for iOS and Android devices while those using Windows Phone must turn to a third party app like MetroTube or use the mobile YouTube website.
Google now has ratcheted things up to the next level by blocking Windows Phone 7.8 and Windows Phone 8 users from using the browser on their phone to access maps.google.com. Even if your phone is set up in desktop mode, those trying to go to the maps.google.com web site will be redirected to Google's mobile search page. What is weird is that over in the U.K., maps.google.co.uk still works.
As tough as the Microsoft-Google rivalry is, the Apple-Samsung one might be even more venomous. Still, we wonder if Google has shoot itself in the foot by not allowing an entire platform to access its work.
1. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
If M$ drop all their law suits and payment for each android hand set against Android may be Google will allow to put their search engine on Windows Phone. But that's what u get when u try to sue someone or BAN them
12. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Google isn't blocking WP8 from accessing mobile maps. Google Maps mobile has never supported Internet Explorer, and is designed for Webkit-based browsers (aka almost every other mobile browser available).
I've e-mailed Alan to edit this post, but I just wanted to put this info here since people are obviously going to go nuts on this post.
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
ok thats cool. I was just saying cause you know how M$ doesn't want to compete because they don't have enough app support for their WP8 OS and their trying to BAN or get money from Android. And i wish you Michael can tell your other journalist collegue could tell them not to post any BAD OR stupid patent articles.
113. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
But still, all the MS service are available for Android and IOS, why cant Google do the same for Windows phone???? Eh
15. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
But still, BS for google for not supporting WP. wow, that's like apple with google maps, on the opposite way. They could get more lawsuit doing this, I guess. Antitrust, again?
21. cncrim (Posts: 603; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Antitrust? when someone keep take you to court, buy android problem solve.
16. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
o wow.........good job michael ...............great job infact, surely had me going
23. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Wait, but how come the uk site works in ie then? im confused :P
28. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is a good question? Whats so different about the UK?
31. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
As you can see in the video, the UK site is not the version of Maps designed for mobile, it's the desktop site coming through. Mobile Google Maps doesn't support IE, desktop does.
75. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Why not at least use a wp8 handset before spreading misinformation? Huh, Michael? That would be a change; you commenting in an informed correct way.
Clearly seeing that YouTube app now, Michael? Sigh.
90. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Michael didnt write this article...and he never mentioned the Youtube app in the comments here. Reading is fundamental?
Btw....read the coments about that "Youtube" app in the WP store....
27. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
OOHHHH..... Nothing to see here, move along folks....lol.
32. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
haha exactly! :)
30. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
and yet maps.google.co.uk worked without a problem (for a short while anyhow. google is indeed blocking access to its map servers in some form, which I find rather amusing given both Nokia Maps and Bing Maps are very competent alternatives. Perhaps google should be more worried about the trend back to Internet Explorer.... Oh wait they are, which is precisely why they're trying to pull this type of s**t.
77. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
1. If Bing and Nokia Maps are good alternatives, whats the problem? This isnt like Apple Maps vs Google Maps. For Google to give up ad revenue it has to be something they feel is important enough to do IF they really are blocking it. Maybe they see it as a waste because those 2 are good alternatives. What I find funny is some WP users are upset.....even with those two good alternatives....
2. I dont think Google is worried about a trend back to IE.. I installed IE9 and if anything Google should feel flattered... lol. And many ppl still use FF. Opera is a good browser. I would use either of them as a main browser before IE on desktops. I only use IE for compatibility checks....like if I have login problems on FF i try it on IE.
50. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Everyone is pointing fingers at Google. How do we know that Microsoft DID NOT RIG this DRAMA in the first place? How do we know that this is RETALIATION from Google themselves? Google could be a victim of Microsoft framing them up to cause an uproar thereby creating BAD PUBLICITY for Google and GOOD PUBLICITY for Microsoft.
Microsoft as an underdog? Bah, bad taste in the mouth, *PWEH*
You got it coming, Microsoft. You made your bed now lie on it. Just desserts. Have your cake and eat it, too.
79. ReturningToNokia (Posts: 130; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
Poor Steelicon...still bitter that Nokia dumped Symbian.
68. MartyK (Posts: 729; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Thank you Michael, I'm sure he deleted your email; because he dislike everything Google.
73. rms.max (Posts: 83; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
so u r saying pa didn't do that intentionally..?
76. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Please explain this @MichaelHeller or anyone..A little confused here..
80. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I think what happened there is the desktop version loaded...thanks for this post.
Like I mentioned before...did anyone try to see if the desktop version worked on WP for maps.google.com, ike it did with that uk url?
82. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
@thnx man...i did see that its the desktop version, so it means atleast the desktop version works or used to work but not anymore...why not now...dats the question...if mispelling windows phone as user agent makes it work then that does sound fishy...sad to see a nice company like google becoming evil...:(
84. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
ohh n it doesn't work on UC browser either in desktop mode...
78. ReturningToNokia (Posts: 130; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
In other words, Michael, Google is incompetent? You see, Google Maps had been working on WP since 2010; it took Google over two years to 'realize' that they weren't supposed to support mobile I.E.? Perfect timing, given their protestations of not supporting WP products.
Yes, incompetent; or just vindictive. I'd wager, both.
96. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
IE 10 does support Webkit, Google is afraid of the current raising of the WP marketshare.
104. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is an amazing story thats out now....lol:
Thats from 2010...key words in your post Michael: mobile...mobile...
I wonder how many ppl will even bother to even read it. Google Maps....mobile..........was never supported in IE....mobile....
Mobile.....WOW. And IE 10 just came out....All I will say Michael is keep doing what you do. Bringing us as unbiased as possible opinions and views of Android, iOS, WP, etc. I dont wanna say anymore and risk a ban...lol.
43. MeoCao (unregistered)
Some people are talking about anti trust: Office is a monopoly, but MS don't release a full version to Android, should MS be fined for that?
And nobody ever talked anything about Instagram dropping Tweeter either.
2. JGuinan007 (Posts: 647; Member since: 19 May 2011)
That doesn't sound Googley why would they do that the more devices that use google apps the more ad rev they get sounds like they are shooting themselves in the foot I would expect something like this from Apple or MS but not Google.
29. windroid (unregistered)
I'm with you, not expecting some actions Google is taking against Windows users, some dirty actions from a fantastic company.
If they start to think that most (if not all) of Google apps are made in a Windows PC... sad if they don’t want to support windows platform anymore as they stated before.
52. joey_sfb (Posts: 3723; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
As stated its mobile IE that don support google map plus windows nokia map is directly competing with google map. I won't be surprise that Microsoft is the one behind this saga. Patent lawsuit OEM royalties of $5 per Android handset. Now blind accusation.
M$ really take us as a fool!
53. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1061; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
there is still no proof that
MS is responsible
98. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Google is just blaming on Microsoft for their acts, IE10 support Webkit, google again acting like the good guy "hey I'm the good samaritan who will set you free from the control of Apple and Microsoft", but they do the opposite, they are clearly trying to get rid of the competition, Google changed, now they are prepotent like Apple or even more, I wish that they have a big fall to be humble again
105. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And if it does support webkit...it seems like it just happened recently probably in late 2012.
That guide just came out Nov 2012....This is 1-6-2013...last stable release of IE 10 mobile....Nov 2012...Latest update for Android users...Dec 2012. Impatience much?
But hey.....none of this info matters...I guess Google is supposed to make sure WP stuff is up to date...and neglect their own platform. Makes perfect sense now....
3. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I bet google is a chicken. I think google predicted that windows mobile os will claim the first position. This is to help ensure android remain in first forever. Nothing remain at the top forever. Everything has its own business cycle. No one can run away from it. Now google at the top soon windows mobile will be at the top. What a selfish google. I think it do not know the word about "sharing".
5. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Lmao chicken? Windows will claim first position? bro I want whatever you are smoking seriously...
6. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
According with that logic then why are people eager to use those services if the ones MS has are much better ?
9. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I would think Google would do something like this to Apple vs MS, if they are doing it. Its waaay too early to say WP is gonna claim first position.
I have a lil theory.....something related to maps is what MS has been getting lisences from Android manufactures for. Maybe this has something to do with that?
And seeing as Google has many services for free....I think they know a lil something about sharing. You must have missed the article about Google updating Maps for iOS after the disaster that was Apple Maps....I am assuming Google did it for the iOS users as well as for their own benefit.
39. big.e927 (Posts: 94; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Google being to chicken? Man, now that'd be a bet you'd surely lose. What's the worst thing Microsoft has done beside talk s**t about Android? Read a previous recent article, Google got cleared for a antitrust investigation that's been going on for 2 years from the itc. Ms has talked the most crap every time they had the chance and accused Google of being guilty instead of exercising some professionalism and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Microsoft has become so pety, Bill Gates doesn't want to be in charge of it anymore. It's run by corporate and shareholding assholes who want more money and will try to dirty the competitions image just to do so. Google maintains a neutral stance, but when push comes to shove, this is exactly what happens. So stop crying, stop your bitching you micro"soft" pussies, if bing and Nokia maps are so good, no need for your asses should be here saying anything about something that shouldn't concern you and doesn't affect you at the least. I am a proud Android user and the reason Google maps works for me is for that very same reason, it's a part of "our" platform, so suck it. :p
4. cse.vicky (unregistered)
Well, bing maps is very cool in US atleast !
24. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Bing maps works great here in croatia too, only downside is that there are no poi inputed, but for that we have nokia navteq maps, which leave google in the dust B)
93. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Nokia map is the best. You can have your own offline map. It is very useful when you're in other country
10. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
dont panic people maybe this is to teach microsoft a lesson in "paying for what you want"............some have to be taught the HARD WAY.........if not then google need not step out of line...
11. cripton805 (Posts: 1116; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
I saw Microsoft as Androids biggest competitor since the beggining. They knew IOS had to fall sooner or later. They both knew it. I'm not saying it won't be succesful, but it won't be the Monopoly it was. They just had to wait out the ride.
13. androidisbaws (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Make a decent OS Microsoft and maybe google would support it. It's not their fault, it's yours.
17. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
nice. even though i want them to support MS WP8/win8 but MS needs to suffer. hey they got nokia maps and bing....
25. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
"hey they got nokia maps" exactly, so there is no suffering here in wp camp...
38. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
exactly, google needs to learn there not irreplaceable infact if you look around there are others that offer the same services sometimes doing it better
most on here see this as google shoving it to the supposedly ''evil'' company but they are yet to realise google themselves are just the same. all companies are looking to dominate. you android fans are as blind as those you love to rip on
47. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Hey, did you read post #12? It appears this whole thing isn't Google's fault at all.
63. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
It might not be, "might", but its too much of a coincidence that there are no google apps on wp, and now even this. Google is upto something, and i dont care :D
67. joey_sfb (Posts: 3723; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
All i am hearing from you is your anti google message. I don have the right to judge google because i don pay them for their services where else i pay for windows 7, i pay for Office, i pay for my xbox 360.
I pay and i pay so M$ better deliver. If google a free service is better than i have every right to bitch on M$.
69. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
M8, nothing in this world is free, while you may pay msoft directly for w8, you get full protection and support, no buts. on the other hand google makes money on selling your private data, and for most normal people that is a big no-no.
Google is actively trying to undermine my experience on a otherwhise excellent device and that is why i feel i have the right to nag and bitch to my hearts content.
81. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I hope you realize MS is collecting and using your data as well , in the exact same way as Google.
And why is it such a horrible thing to take the wait and see approach with W8? This is a platform with less than 5% marketshare, so does it really make sense for Google to spend money developing apps for a platform people are reluctant to adopt?
Also, one day it's "We don't need Google's crapware. Bing is better, Nokia maps are better, blah, blah, blah..." then when There is an article saying Google is blocking W8 (which we now know is not true) you guys go crazy and even more anti-Google, and specifically anti-Android user on us? Don't fall for MS's hype dude. All the b*tching and moaning they're doing is kinda sad. Just get your platform in order and Google will come.
94. joey_sfb (Posts: 3723; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Seems to me you don't even need google services if you are concern about privacy and what's not. To me the privacy protection i get from M$ and google is the same unless M$ dare to make a full declaration that they are not profitting from my data.
All three companies, Apple Microsoft and Google are selling Ads.
18. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
People thumbing down us, who argues with google's move. WHY? Seriously? Why do this on WP. If you could support other platforms why not WP? Don't give me that, "the users are not there" crap. Everyone knows, many people nowadays uses WP.
26. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Cos you are a troll, all the other os camps wish they had the sleekness of wp and the hw of nokia, well you cant, and ive been doing just fine theese last 2 years without scroogle so i think people will manage...
36. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
I am a troll because I didn't know that ? Lol ok... This coming from someone who says scroogle? Stop watching those funny Microsoft commercials bro