Google announces Android 4.2 with new camera features, multiple users support, still called Jelly Bean
0. phoneArena 29 Oct 2012, 12:12 posted on
A new flavor of Jelly Bean has arrived, and it isn't Buttered Popcorn or Very Cherry. Nope, we're dealing with something a bit more sophisticated, namely Android 4.2, which Google officially announced minutes ago, alongside the highly-anticipated LG Nexus 4 smartphone. Excited to know what the platform's new version brings to the table? Then let's waste no time and cut straight to the chase...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Google - leading innovation. Always. :D
7. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 846; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
So far its nothing special. Hope they're saving the best for last..
15. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
dude what else do you want from an update to an awesome OS...a turkey dinner? though that would be nice :)
16. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Are you crazy? This is a relatively small update - a 0.1 update - which adds so many useful features!
Should I compare it to iOS which added almost nothing in 0.1 updates?
21. andro. (Posts: 1935; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Agreed this is actually only a 0.1 update for android but it has many useful changes. If these amount of changes were brought into ios it'd be considered an entire generation jump like calling it ios 7,or ios 8 and apple would be claiming the next generation os is finally here.
39. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The irony of Apple fanboys calling an android update "nothing special".
43. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 846; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I am currently using the Nexus 7 and Galxy S3 but i guess that makes me an apple fanboy.. I wasn't comparing it to IOS, Windows 8 or anything just expressing an opinion in the beginning of the announcement.. The irony is you guys being as quick to blast me as apple fans do to me on a regular basis so maybe there is some common ground there to build a friendship on :D
44. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
These are wonderful features. Surely you must admit that Google is bringing new things to the table that no one has ever imagined.
47. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 846; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I'll admit I jumped the gun considering its a .1 upgrade but at the same time its not something to go overly crazy about in terms of hype. I have a panorama app and already use swype. The only thing that made me excited is the Google now features being added .
Its just like when people were going crazy about how awesome IOS 6 was going to be. IOS 6 basically took stuff that 3rd party apps already did, integrated Facebook (which I already declared Jihad on Facebook and have been trying to get people to switch to G+ for a while now) and some bug fixes. I give credit where credit is due and not gonna go crazy over an update unless its well deserved but thats just my opinion.
18. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3755; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus is ROOTED. I bet that in 3 to 5 days after Google releases Android 4.2 to the masses I will have the lastest & greatest Android OS on my GNex!
Android 4.2 here I come! lol
28. Asasindude26 (Posts: 33; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Yeah :) Just imagine that the GSM Gnex doesn't even have Android 4.1.2 yet!!! So glad I rooted that sucker!!
41. true1984 (Posts: 582; Member since: 23 May 2012)
actually it does, i upgraded mine a week and a half ago...
50. Zarak (Posts: 23; Member since: 21 May 2012)
i upgraded mine on the same day when the roll out started. :)
38. networkdood (Posts: 6250; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yep, I will start seeing CM10 roms for my DROID RAZR and Captivate in about a week and the actual 4.2 for my 7inch N7.
12. -box- (Posts: 3712; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Two different things. You might as well be comparing MLB to NHL
17. MeoCao (unregistered)
Well, Android is Premier League which has conquered the whole World.
3. ahhxd717 (Posts: 317; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I just wanna know when it's being released to the unlocked Galaxy Nexus :)
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5460; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Talking about Android and iOS, Is there any doubts which one OS is more advanced?
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
like apple maps? Keyboard stripes? Purple tint photo? imessage? and all the other new iSsues?
42. bucky (Posts: 1292; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Maps is new. Remember what google maps was like when it was introduced on the original droid/milestone? The other issues are already gone.
What about force closes, lg grade hardware, fragmentation, 16gb max storage, crappy battery, lag, s**tty audio, new androids introduced every week, too huge to take seriously, takes forever to charge and worthless for resale in 2 months. Those are things google needs to deal with somehow.
I was really hoping for a motorola nexus or htc and a 4.3" screen.
48. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
problem is that apple has really bad reputation when it comes to fixing problems.
19. fay99 (Posts: 48; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Apple will add that 360 deg camera to ios9. !$heeps are currently enjoying their innovative panorama feature
22. bucky (Posts: 1292; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
im not sure what that has to do with anything i just said.
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5460; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Panorama feature was even on dumb phones.
5. Goldeneye (Posts: 349; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
I wish the onscreen keys were gone when not needed.
29. Asasindude26 (Posts: 33; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Yeah that annoys me allot :( But at least they go away for youtube :D
6. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Just heard - 4.2 will have WidgetLocker functionality!!! That means that you'l be able to add widgets to your lockscreen! AWESOMENESS!!!!
31. Asasindude26 (Posts: 33; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Still p*ssed they didn't add the multiuser fuctionality to phones aswell :( Or the ''theme selector'' that Sense UI has :(
35. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
What is the point of that? A cell phone is a personal use item who on earth wants to share a cellphone with someone else?
40. jpmcnown (Posts: 34; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
I think assassindude meant that it's a step up from a simple a basic theme selector. It's not necessarily about "sharing" a cellphone, it's about having multiple profiles for whatever reason you want. I started typing some reasons, but it ended up being a long defense of a feature that doesn't need defending. Use your imagination.
8. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1301; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Can't wait to get my hands on "dat nexus 10"
10. PhoneCritic (Posts: 352; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Nice. This seems like a good upgrade to Android which is just becoming better and better with every release.
11. Sakeem (Posts: 131; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
I'm loving the evolution of the android os. Looking forward to more features and changes.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Android is an OS Juggernaut
I see it even becoming a full desktop replacement within a year or two
14. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Glad they still call it Jellybean though - while these are good new features, it's not on the level of a complete overhaul. People seemed to think just because it went from 4.1 to 4.2 it must be all-new, but forget that 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 were all Honeycomb.
20. khanrehan99 (Posts: 13; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
Awesome work google, you never fail to surprise me with all your innovations. I am very happy with my Jelly Bean 4.1 but looking forward to get 4.2 when becomes available.
23. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6135; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
My next tv will have wifi in it and i will buy the NEXUS 10" can't freaking wait!!
25. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Wow... Android is absolutely destroying Apple in innovation. Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave right now.
26. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Enough with the Apple/Jobs hate. The iPhone stopped being innovative years ago. Now it just has to be the iPhonest phone out there to sell tens of millions.
32. Asasindude26 (Posts: 33; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Pretty long I guess (probably til'l Christmas) my European Gnex hasn't even got 4.1.2 yet!!
52. Zarak (Posts: 23; Member since: 21 May 2012)
but i got 4.1.2 really quick.. just because i ported my Gnex to yakju.
33. stefanm (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
is the "à la" just pissing me off or is that suppose to be there ?
34. guest (Posts: 91; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Wow you guys haven't gotten 4.1.2? I got that a couple of weeks ago on a non-rooted stock Galaxy Nexus
36. jpmcnown (Posts: 34; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
I really hope the "mirroring" feature works as well as Airplay for iOS. It's the ONE(yes, there's only one) thing my friends can do with their damn iOS devices, that I've been unable to do on my SGS3. I've found countless remote control apps for android, but nothing that mirriors audio and video with the near-zero lag that Airplay with Airserver or Reflection does. For now, I'll continue to use MirrorOp or TeamView Quicksupport.
Anxiously awaiting a 4.2 rom!
45. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Available on the new galaxy S4 I hope.
Google's features and innovations are the bomb!
46. TheMan (Posts: 373; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
re: The 360 degree camera...
So, basically, Street View comes to your Android!
Calling 4.2 Jelly Bean going to be a bit confusing.
51. wando77 (Posts: 265; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Phone should have been 16/32gb and tablet 32/64gb. Really hating this lack of microsd in nexus products. I know they want to push everything to the cloud but we arent ready for that when data is a) expensive and b) not that fast due to lack of lte in all areas (infact the nexus 4 doesnt even have lte onboard)
54. jtbrown3 (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
One BIG issue with the Daydream feature is that LED notifications are automatically turned 'off' while Daydream is active. If it wern't for this bug, Daydream would be an otherwise excellent 'screensaver' . Fix this Google!