Google announces Android 4.2 with new camera features, multiple users support, still called Jelly Bean
0. phoneArena posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:12
A new flavor of Jelly Bean has arrived, and it isn't Buttered Popcorn or Very Cherry. Nope, we're dealing with something a bit more sophisticated, namely Android 4.2, which Google officially announced minutes ago, alongside the highly-anticipated LG Nexus 4 smartphone. Excited to know what the platform's new version brings to the table? Then let's waste no time and cut straight to the chase...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. Reluctant_Human posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:18 2 41
So far its nothing special. Hope they're saving the best for last..
15. PhenomFaz posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:44 28 0
dude what else do you want from an update to an awesome OS...a turkey dinner? though that would be nice :)
16. ilia1986 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:47 20 0
Are you crazy? This is a relatively small update - a 0.1 update - which adds so many useful features!
Should I compare it to iOS which added almost nothing in 0.1 updates?
21. andro. posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:12 16 0
Agreed this is actually only a 0.1 update for android but it has many useful changes. If these amount of changes were brought into ios it'd be considered an entire generation jump like calling it ios 7,or ios 8 and apple would be claiming the next generation os is finally here.
53. Nadr1212 posted on 04 Nov 2012, 08:50 0 0
39. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 29 Oct 2012, 15:21 6 1
The irony of Apple fanboys calling an android update "nothing special".
43. Reluctant_Human posted on 29 Oct 2012, 19:21 0 0
I am currently using the Nexus 7 and Galxy S3 but i guess that makes me an apple fanboy.. I wasn't comparing it to IOS, Windows 8 or anything just expressing an opinion in the beginning of the announcement.. The irony is you guys being as quick to blast me as apple fans do to me on a regular basis so maybe there is some common ground there to build a friendship on :D
44. someones4 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 19:51 0 0
These are wonderful features. Surely you must admit that Google is bringing new things to the table that no one has ever imagined.
47. Reluctant_Human posted on 29 Oct 2012, 23:02 0 2
I'll admit I jumped the gun considering its a .1 upgrade but at the same time its not something to go overly crazy about in terms of hype. I have a panorama app and already use swype. The only thing that made me excited is the Google now features being added .
Its just like when people were going crazy about how awesome IOS 6 was going to be. IOS 6 basically took stuff that 3rd party apps already did, integrated Facebook (which I already declared Jihad on Facebook and have been trying to get people to switch to G+ for a while now) and some bug fixes. I give credit where credit is due and not gonna go crazy over an update unless its well deserved but thats just my opinion.
18. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:50 6 1
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus is ROOTED. I bet that in 3 to 5 days after Google releases Android 4.2 to the masses I will have the lastest & greatest Android OS on my GNex!
Android 4.2 here I come! lol
28. Asasindude26 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:04 3 0
Yeah :) Just imagine that the GSM Gnex doesn't even have Android 4.1.2 yet!!! So glad I rooted that sucker!!
41. true1984 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 15:29 0 0
actually it does, i upgraded mine a week and a half ago...
50. Zarak posted on 30 Oct 2012, 05:49 0 0
i upgraded mine on the same day when the roll out started. :)
38. networkdood posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:57 1 0
Yep, I will start seeing CM10 roms for my DROID RAZR and Captivate in about a week and the actual 4.2 for my 7inch N7.
12. -box- posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:37 6 2
Two different things. You might as well be comparing MLB to NHL
17. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:49 5 0
Well, Android is Premier League which has conquered the whole World.
3. ahhxd717 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:16 3 0
I just wanna know when it's being released to the unlocked Galaxy Nexus :)
4. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:17 8 5
Talking about Android and iOS, Is there any doubts which one OS is more advanced?
24. SleepingOz posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:33 10 0
like apple maps? Keyboard stripes? Purple tint photo? imessage? and all the other new iSsues?
42. bucky posted on 29 Oct 2012, 15:45 0 4
Maps is new. Remember what google maps was like when it was introduced on the original droid/milestone? The other issues are already gone.
What about force closes, lg grade hardware, fragmentation, 16gb max storage, crappy battery, lag, s**tty audio, new androids introduced every week, too huge to take seriously, takes forever to charge and worthless for resale in 2 months. Those are things google needs to deal with somehow.
I was really hoping for a motorola nexus or htc and a 4.3" screen.
48. someones4 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 23:35 1 0
problem is that apple has really bad reputation when it comes to fixing problems.
19. fay99 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:57 12 1
Apple will add that 360 deg camera to ios9. !$heeps are currently enjoying their innovative panorama feature
22. bucky posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:18 0 5
im not sure what that has to do with anything i just said.
5. Goldeneye posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:18 4 0
I wish the onscreen keys were gone when not needed.
29. Asasindude26 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:06 2 0
Yeah that annoys me allot :( But at least they go away for youtube :D
6. ilia1986 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:18 7 0
Just heard - 4.2 will have WidgetLocker functionality!!! That means that you'l be able to add widgets to your lockscreen! AWESOMENESS!!!!
31. Asasindude26 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:08 0 0
Still p*ssed they didn't add the multiuser fuctionality to phones aswell :( Or the ''theme selector'' that Sense UI has :(
35. MorePhonesThanNeeded posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:43 1 0
What is the point of that? A cell phone is a personal use item who on earth wants to share a cellphone with someone else?
40. jpmcnown posted on 29 Oct 2012, 15:28 0 0
I think assassindude meant that it's a step up from a simple a basic theme selector. It's not necessarily about "sharing" a cellphone, it's about having multiple profiles for whatever reason you want. I started typing some reasons, but it ended up being a long defense of a feature that doesn't need defending. Use your imagination.
8. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:18 1 0
Can't wait to get my hands on "dat nexus 10"
10. PhoneCritic posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:21 3 0
Nice. This seems like a good upgrade to Android which is just becoming better and better with every release.
11. Sakeem posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:21 3 0
I'm loving the evolution of the android os. Looking forward to more features and changes.
13. darac posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:39 5 0
Android is an OS Juggernaut
I see it even becoming a full desktop replacement within a year or two
14. roldefol posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:40 6 0
Glad they still call it Jellybean though - while these are good new features, it's not on the level of a complete overhaul. People seemed to think just because it went from 4.1 to 4.2 it must be all-new, but forget that 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 were all Honeycomb.
20. khanrehan99 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:01 2 0
Awesome work google, you never fail to surprise me with all your innovations. I am very happy with my Jelly Bean 4.1 but looking forward to get 4.2 when becomes available.
23. InspectorGadget80 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:31 3 0
My next tv will have wifi in it and i will buy the NEXUS 10" can't freaking wait!!
25. wsucoug13 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:47 0 0
Wow... Android is absolutely destroying Apple in innovation. Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave right now.
26. roldefol posted on 29 Oct 2012, 13:50 0 0
Enough with the Apple/Jobs hate. The iPhone stopped being innovative years ago. Now it just has to be the iPhonest phone out there to sell tens of millions.
32. Asasindude26 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:09 0 0
Pretty long I guess (probably til'l Christmas) my European Gnex hasn't even got 4.1.2 yet!!
52. Zarak posted on 30 Oct 2012, 05:50 0 0
but i got 4.1.2 really quick.. just because i ported my Gnex to yakju.
33. stefanm posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:16 0 0
is the "à la" just pissing me off or is that suppose to be there ?
34. guest posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:31 0 0
Wow you guys haven't gotten 4.1.2? I got that a couple of weeks ago on a non-rooted stock Galaxy Nexus
36. jpmcnown posted on 29 Oct 2012, 14:45 0 0
I really hope the "mirroring" feature works as well as Airplay for iOS. It's the ONE(yes, there's only one) thing my friends can do with their damn iOS devices, that I've been unable to do on my SGS3. I've found countless remote control apps for android, but nothing that mirriors audio and video with the near-zero lag that Airplay with Airserver or Reflection does. For now, I'll continue to use MirrorOp or TeamView Quicksupport.
Anxiously awaiting a 4.2 rom!
45. someones4 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 19:54 0 0
Available on the new galaxy S4 I hope.
Google's features and innovations are the bomb!
46. TheMan posted on 29 Oct 2012, 22:59 1 0
re: The 360 degree camera...
So, basically, Street View comes to your Android!
Calling 4.2 Jelly Bean going to be a bit confusing.
51. wando77 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 05:49 0 0
Phone should have been 16/32gb and tablet 32/64gb. Really hating this lack of microsd in nexus products. I know they want to push everything to the cloud but we arent ready for that when data is a) expensive and b) not that fast due to lack of lte in all areas (infact the nexus 4 doesnt even have lte onboard)
54. jtbrown3 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:31 0 0
One BIG issue with the Daydream feature is that LED notifications are automatically turned 'off' while Daydream is active. If it wern't for this bug, Daydream would be an otherwise excellent 'screensaver' . Fix this Google!