Google and Apple teaming up to buy Kodak patents
0. phoneArena 07 Dec 2012, 23:39 posted on
Maybe Eric Schmidt had something going when he said that Apple and Google have a more adult relationship which may have disputes, but can still have mutual value. Or at least, there may have been something to the idea that Apple never targets Google in lawsuits. Word has it that the two companies are planning to team up and put in a joint bid for Kodak's imaging patents...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3493; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I didn't know patents could be up for sale!
Now i think i know why Apple wants patents, patents and more patents.
2. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Everyone wants patents. Google purchased Motorola for patents. Microsoft partnered with Nokia partially for patents.
4. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3493; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
...but not to a point where they sue people irrationally.
6. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Nothing is rational in the patent system
9. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3493; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't see Nokia, Samsung, Google and some more being irrational...
16. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Very well said+1 from me, I was about to say the same!
Michael.H has nothing to say or reply nor dispute on your comment!™®©
18. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Nokia started the smartphone patent wars, which is why Apple is paying them $600+ million a quarter. Microsoft makes more off Android than they do from Windows Phone. Motorola and Samsung have both used standards-essential patents to sue companies other than Apple. Motorola has done it pre and post Google acquisition. What you MEANT to say was you bury your head in the sand when anyone else does it except Apple, for whom you have an irrational hatred because you are a fanboy.
24. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3493; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Nokia might have started it...but the lawsuit wasn't like what Apple is doing now.
I don't need to remind you of how Apple is suing every bit that looks similar to phones in general.
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Look at it this way. How many phrama companies sue each other just because color of pill is WHITE or all antidiabetic pills which fall in same "class of drugs" sue each other? They don't.
Get what i eman to say :)
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
Poor Nathan... Lol
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 18475; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude all these business's want patents, and u say not to the point of suing irrationally. Tell me who's board of directors do u sit on? What company r u a CEO of to know what they're suing, or not suing about? U r a consumer that dislikes apple, and likes to come on PA and run your mouth. That's it and that's all
19. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
so, you are in favor of patenting device with rounded edges? Candy bar style? Touchscreen?
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 18475; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nope, I'm n favor of walking into the store picking a device and buying it. I don't worry about patent disputes, cuz I don't work for these companies. I'm mindful that I'm a consumer. I do however wish that the lawsuits n stuff would cease, and companies play nice.
27. joey_sfb (Posts: 5002; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
and that would be an apple product. dude you can choose apple or htc whichever that rock your boat. apple start changing the public opinion on their own accord.
You sow the seed, you reap its award.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 18475; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bro we don't work for these companies, and not one of these companies r as innocent as they claim to b in public. Samsung, apple, Nokia,google,Motorola,BB, and the rest all have dirty laundry that they simply will not air in public. Do u really think apple is suing Samsung totally for nothing? C'mon Joey I've read stuff from u before, and ur an intelligent person...u can't b that naive. Samsungs not innocent bro, and neither is apple. Both of them r going at it for reasons both public, and private. U really think their gonna let we the consumer know all there is to know? I wish all this patent crap would b over with, but its not going away anytime soon...that's the sad reality. Big business is big business, and its never innocent.
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 18475; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
They can be but sometimes it includes the sale of a company, like when google bought Motorola they acquired motos patents.
5. AWiseGuy (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Apple and Google... *teaming up?*
Well, pack your things y'all. I believe the date is the 21st.
11. jroc74 (Posts: 5853; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
LOL!! Yea.....I really hope this is the beginning of Google and Apple working together, leading by example.
8. BadAssAbe (Posts: 450; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Google keep your friends close but keep your enemys closer ;-)
10. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i dont know but in my opinion... whats so great with kodak patents? well maybe im wrong coz they've been in the business for so long (100+ years!! sad to see this company down)
but why will apple buy it? they dont even make there own camera sensor (iPhone's camera is a sony) and also why google?
the one that should but its patents are those who are in the camera business..canon etc etc..
but for me, it should be either nokia or sony!!!
but anyways..they got the money...so let it be!
12. jroc74 (Posts: 5853; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Mototola phones need better cameras. I hope if Google gets these they will make their way into Moto phones.
15. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
but the fact is that google just bought motorola for its patents against apple! and they dontt even give them special treatment
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
If Apple gets hold of these patent, there will be no competition, nor patent fees to pay Apple for using there patents! They don't like others to use what's not there's ™®©
23. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Personally, Apple should be banned from buying Kodak patents if they're going to insist on taking prissy purple pictures ♥
21. lyndon420 (Posts: 3385; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Patents are all the rage these days because apple has been trying to sue the entire universe.
22. dc0321 (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
omfg .can someone tell me what doesnt have patens ......
28. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1887; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I'm gonna cry!! this is awesome!! cease fire guys and make us even better smartphones!!
31. molanjames (banned) (Posts: 80; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
Apple, does not get hold of any more patents. They already have the mother of all patents - an electronic device in a rectangular shape with rounded corners.