Google Q3 report shows record earnings, but doesn't talk Android
6. John (unregistered) posted on 14 Oct 2011, 04:29 1 0
Google is making South east companies like HTC, Huawei, ZTE, asus, Acer, Pantech and most importantly SAMSUNG richer and richer by giving us Android. Otherwise these companies would be nothing. These companies are earning billions through MOBILE BUSINESS. Google's income from MOBILE BUSINESS was just 4% of the total revenue according to FCC documents 2011. Google is putting a dent in the US economy because of Android. Google should start charging for Android.
3. taco50 (banned) posted on 14 Oct 2011, 02:02 0 2
Michael H maybe you can explain to me what's the deal with google reporting activations? What do they count as an activation?
7. protozeloz posted on 14 Oct 2011, 04:34 2 0
Activation is when an android ID is generated, every phone has an unique number that identifyes its called android ID
8. MichaelHeller posted on 14 Oct 2011, 08:57 2 0
The general issue that people have with that number is that it counts all Android devices and not just those "with Google", so all of the super cheap Chinese Android phones get into the mix, and the Nook Color and everything. Soon, the Kindle Fire will be counted as an Android activation, even though it basically has nothing to do with the Google Android ecosystem, except that it runs the same apps.
Some say that's fuzzy math, but then again Apple includes iPod Touch in its numbers and some people have issue with that practice as well.
9. protozeloz posted on 14 Oct 2011, 12:51 1 0
though only devices with access to the android market could get an android ID (since you need a Google account to generate it if im not mistaken) so i don't know if the kindle fire will be counted just because it does not have google account settings.... but ill double check to make sure
4. icecreamlover (unregistered) posted on 14 Oct 2011, 02:17 1 0
yup, they are saving it for later (ICS announcement)....its gonna be mindblowing!!!
5. Rikkirik (unregistered) posted on 14 Oct 2011, 02:58 1 1
Not at all impressive, since even Sony Ericson has just reported a 33% rise in Q3 revenue. Microsoft and Apple have grown revenue and profits the past ten years just as easily, so Google will have to do a lot better to try to stay ahead of the competition. One big mistake we seem to make is to compare Google with the likes of Apple and Microsoft. Google is effectively an media/ad company, Microsoft and Apple are software companies. Recent FCC documents (june 2011) provided by Google show 96% of their reveue come from Ad sales, leaving just 4% revenue to come from mobile, Google+ and other products. This means that most of these other products are still money losing products. Google is doing it's best to become a software company with products like Google docs, Chrome browser, Cloudcomputing etc, but is failing dismally in it's attempts. Recent statistics show Microsoft still dominating the computer (PC, notebook, netbook etc) market by 95% with it's Windows OS, Apple by 4% and 1% for orthers like the Chrome netbooks. Microsoft and Apple on the other hand, besides software, are also becomming consumeroriented companies. Micorsoft attempts this with Xbox, WP 7, Infotaiment for cars etc . and is having successes in a few of these areas like the Xbox. Mobile is catching on too. A recent Survey also shows that most Chinees and Americans want a Windows tablet, which does not bode well for Android tablets. As long as Microsoft dominates the PC market and gets traction in the future tablet market (with Windows 8), which it definitively will, while collecting fees for every Android and Chrome product (phone, tablet etc) sold, Microsoft wil stay on top and ahead of Google. Apple will always remain a niche product. Google will always remain a media company.
10. MichaelHeller posted on 14 Oct 2011, 14:13 2 0
Actually, Sony Ericsson had a 33% increase in sales quarter-on-quarter, not year-on-year. Not to mention, making a jump from 1.2 billion to 1.6 billion euros isn't as difficult as jumping from $7.3 billion to $9.7 billion.
Also, Apple is a hardware company first and foremost, not a software company.
And, I just finished reading through your rant. It's not even worth going into all the biased inaccuracies in there. Have a good day!
11. roscuthiii posted on 14 Oct 2011, 19:12 0 0
Damn, Michael is on a roll today. Remind me not to disagree with you in the future. Only my gf is allowed to spank me.