Google Play store executive steps down
0. phoneArena 11 Mar 2012, 01:16 posted on
The lead executive of Android's Google Play store, Eric Chu, has quit his position according to TechCrunch, and has been replaced by Android's digital content lead and key Google Music employee Jamie Rosenberg; Chu is expected to be given a new position at Google...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, i hope he was "reassigned" because of the mistake he's made with the Google Play idea.
5. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
what mistake? its just a cohesive rebranding. Its not like anything actually changed.
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the complete obliteration of a well developed brand is the mistake i was referring to. the next thing they'll do is rename Maps to Play Maps. -.-
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
would you please play me the directions of the nearest restaurant?
11. cellgeek82 (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Dec 2009)
Here are your directions:
Italian - Mario theme
Fast Food - Sonic the Hedgehog theme
Steakhouse - Country
Chinese - Chinese
Mexican - Mexican
American - 'I'm Fat' by Wierd Al....LOL!
16. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i didnt really think it was all that important. maybe they have some big plans down the line or something. I thought the way it was, was fine. Isnt saying "google" infront of everything branding? lol it sure worked for me. hey another "google" app, ill just DL and see what it is!.
2. theBankRobber (Posts: 649; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I hate the fact Google doesn't advertise the store on commercials. I say LEAVE IT GOOGLE MARKET. Its bad enough people didn't even know what the Android Market was and now they change the name which is even more confusing because its just called 'Google Play'.
3. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Agree, from Android Market to Google Play Store.
Play will make you think about stuff like music and movies, not necessarily about Apps.
Google Store or Google Market would have been better.
4. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Yea google store or google app market would be best.. I do like the new logo tho but play store is borderline retarded..
9. tedkord (Posts: 6230; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yeah, but we all know that if they used either "app" or "store" in the name, all the Apple faithful would have started crying about Google copying. Hell, if Amazon hadn't already smacked Apple in court over the name "App Store", Apple would probably sue over either word. Still might.
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, if they got an "iMarket" i'm sure we'd give them hell. :P
7. catt4u (Posts: 66; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
To generate far more income from the Play Market, Google should see to it that Android users outside the US can buy music, movies and all apps ;)
And when they're at it, add GDrive at the same time!
10. rock9900 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Switch back to Android Market now before mistake gets bigger
13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6944; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I dislike the new name. They should of kept the name ANDROID MARKET
14. kanagadeepan (Posts: 751; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Though I can understand "What is in a name", but the name "PLAY" is too childish in my humble opinion... I am android fan, using Cap.Glide, the new icon is OK, but NOT the name... It will be even better if the name was "Google Store" than "Play Store", tmho...
15. bluenexus (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I found it very unwise to change the name to Google Play, a bad move by the guy in charge. The previous name was clearly better in a rhetorical sense. This has caused criticism and dislikes from dedicated android fans who expected something better.