Google Now quietly gets pedometer card: tracks how much you've walked, cycled
0. phoneArena 01 Nov 2012, 09:59 posted on
Google Now might have gotten a ton of new features like movie and restaurant recommendations in Android 4.2 Jelly Bean…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Savage (unregistered)
When you have Google Now, you won't need Fitness apps :D
21. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
i think it is a classic idea, but allow me to ask something.
isn't it a breach of privacy for google to record your movements via gps? obviously that is now the information is collected. so google has info where exactly you went.
however, it is possible i have it all wrong. in that case could someone clear it to me?
22. Atekihcan (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
I'm sure it is not using GPS as I occasionally turn it on.
2. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Great stuff for diabetics like me ... don't need to spend money frequently on omron pedometers which go bad too frequently ... this is what counts towards user experience really and not some sexy looking (for some) icons :)
3. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
Awesome, every application will merge in Google now as truly assistant.
4. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
no, according to fans is something that replies to you with confirmation("so should I.....?"), witty jokes and pictures of stallions or places where to hide a body and weird movie reviews... yep this is nothing
5. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I walked 21 Miles!!! how many have you walked?
13. parthpatels007 (Posts: 53; Member since: 27 May 2011)
12! :D never knew i walked so much haha
15. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
something like 120-150 miles a month
6. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
yeah I noticed it on my GneX this morning. awesome.
7. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Im pretty scared that google now will become a "Creepy assitant" that will watch your every movement -_-
google is the most innovative company i've ever seen, im not bashing apple though, im bashing REST IN MOTION
9. yet0722 (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
i ady got this. but i dont think its a really got stuff.. because i dnot even cycling nowadays.. Google mentioned i'm cycled. lmao
10. ibap (Posts: 726; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
I presume this only really works if you've had your phone surgically implanted so it is with you absolutely all the time? I wonder how it records bedroom gymnastics?
11. chkee89 (Posts: 10; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
i have it this morning...nice improvement for google now
12. Atekihcan (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
I just got this card. It seems like a nice feature but I'm curious to know how it works as according to it I've cycled 17 miles in October and I don't have a cycle! :-P
16. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I'm assuming it works by guessing your mode of travel based on your speed. Driving slowly would probably count towards biking miles.
14. Lawks (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Sep 2012)
Apparently I walked 86 Kilometers. It must have counted Subway and tram use. Not sure if I walk that much. 30km definitely but 86 mhhh.
17. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Seems like a nice little addition.
I'm hoping this type of thing will become a regular happening. Every few weeks, a new card or two should be added to Google Now.
18. hotdoggnboi (Posts: 10; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
I was checking the weather for today - and my Google now has a card saying I have walked 5 miles - pretty cool.
20. Endruu (Posts: 13; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
It's cool and everything, and it came as a pleasant surprise to me when I found that Google Now had picked it up after my run last night.
Problem is that it's inaccurate, On my Runkeeper, I've ran a total 142km (88miles) in October but was given 65miles of walking, and 14miles of cycling when I had actually done 46.3km (28miles)
Am hoping that (1) Google would allow me to change my settings to show KM, and (2) let me set where to pluck its info from, or at least let me know where its getting its data so I can know why it's wrong